• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

*cries*

zlCfzSc9E48nUJzNTJ

When I am late in a song and that happens I always lie to myself that I missed one earlier and the game forgot to tally it.

Wookieomg

What's the GAF consensus on this game so far? I played the first when it released a while back and enjoyed it. Curious if the additions and changes make this a must-buy or whatnot.

What's the GAF consensus on this game so far? I played the first when it released a while back and enjoyed it. Curious if the additions and changes make this a must-buy or whatnot.

There are a lot more songs and characters than the first. Everything has a greater attention to detail and polish. Quest Medleys are souped-up dark notes. And VS mode.

The core gameplay is basically the same. Just a lot more to do than before.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
There are a lot more songs and characters than the first. Everything has a greater attention to detail and polish. Quest Medleys are souped-up dark notes. And VS mode.

Don't forget the biggest addition. Songs aren't capped at 2 minutes anymore.

suzu

Am I doing anything wrong by just using my four guys a picked from the start and playing through all the songs in order?

You can play however you like, but you should give Quest Medley mode a try.

I think most of us posting in this thread have played Theatrhythm before. So if you liked the first one, you'll probably love Curtain Call.

Wookieomg

I think most of us posting in this thread have played Theatrhythm before. So if you liked the first one, you'll probably love Curtain Call.

That's awesome. Really thinking about pulling the trigger on this.

Luigi87

If there is one thing I wish about the game, is that it were slightly more punishing in that GOODs should break a chain.
Silly thing I know, lol

Phatcorns

Anyone have tips on how to make it louder? Short of buying a headphone amp. It's just not loud enough for me. Enjoying it immensely though.

I'm still struggling on the FMS stages when you have to slide the target up and down. I don't know why, I never had a problem with it in the first game, and now all the sudden I'm really struggling with it. I'm falling behind, or just never quite quick enough. It's starting to get a little frustrating.

Me too, I feel like I struggle with this way more than I should... Killed my hype...

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Me too, I feel like I struggle with this way more than I should... Killed my hype...
Is this what you guys are feeling?
Check out an FMS from the first game. Here's one from the second game.

In CC, the beginning circle of the hold note stays on screen instead of trailing off to the right. As a result, you have this green circle that perfectly follows the path of the hold note. The problem is, you will never have this accuracy (and don't need to for criticals) so your slightly bigger cursor circle will always lag behind the perfect green one. This creates a sort of "illusion of lag" is the best way I can describe it. It's really jarring to me. It's especially bad when you have rapid ups and downs.
If so, you get used to it over time...

suzu

^Yeah, what Lumination said.

The circle will always look like it's lagging a little bit if you're using stylus. I stopped trying to match it up and eventually got used to it. You're going to get the critical hits anyway.

Is this what you guys are feeling?

If so, you get used to it over time...

^Yeah, what Lumination said.

The circle will always look like it's lagging a little bit if you're using stylus. I stopped trying to match it up and eventually got used to it. You're going to get the critical hits anyway.

Exactly that! It's fucking around with my brain a lot... I try to ignore it and notice that I still get critical but I get the occasional bad that I would not get on the same songs in the first game. Do I have to move the stylus up and down in a higher and lower way than in the first game? I did not need to use much of the screen in the first one to follow a hold but I feel like I can't do that anymore. It's encouraging to read that you get used to it after a bit. Thanks for replying!

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I see the EMS stages are still total ass when it comes to timing. I can crit all pretty much everything on basic except for those.
In the first game, it was because EMS were 30fps while the rest of the game was 60fps. I haven't played any EMS in this one yet (I hate them), but I bet that's still the issue.

Exactly that! It's fucking around with my brain a lot... I try to ignore it and notice that I still get critical but I get the occasional bad that I would not get on the same songs in the first game. Do I have to move the stylus up and down in a higher and lower way than in the first game? I did not need to use much of the screen in the first one to follow a hold but I feel like I can't do that anymore. It's encouraging to read that you get used to it after a bit. Thanks for replying!
You basically have to move faster and mimic the hold note perfectly. That's pretty unrealistic, but a combination of you getting closer to perfect and your brain adjusting to it over time will help.

Woo, finally getting Ultimate scores in Quest Medley mode.

I should probably stop neglecting the CollectaCard Crystarium stuff right about now also...

I think the flaky slider in FMS is a direct result of circle pad support.

One handed can be pretty fun, you just have to get in the habit of releasing the stick and button at the same time for the hold-slide-arrow notes. The stick seems less forgiving for those notes as well.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've finally bought and downloaded the game, and played my first 2 songs (on the easiest difficulty). I don't know if doing anything wrong or what, but in battle songs, the slide triggers sometimes fail to register. I slide in the direction the game asks me to, but it still says "Bad". Had that happen a few times and it's getting pretty annoying. I don't recall this ever happening to me in the first game. Is this happening to anybody else, or am I playing even worse than before?

You basically have to move faster and mimic the hold note perfectly. That's pretty unrealistic, but a combination of you getting closer to perfect and your brain adjusting to it over time will help.

All right, thanks!

Funny how easy they are with the circle pad, they follow it perfectly with ease. I had trouble doing directional arrows when using buttons but I have learned to let go of the circle pad after the last "pip" on the hold line in preparation of the upcoming arrow and now I get them perfectly. However, I still prefer to use the stylus so I will try to perfect them and as you say, my brain will adjust over time!

Rezae

I've finally bought and downloaded the game, and played my first 2 songs (on the easiest difficulty). I don't know if doing anything wrong or what, but in battle songs, the slide triggers sometimes fail to register. I slide in the direction the game asks me to, but it still says "Bad". Had that happen a few times and it's getting pretty annoying. I don't recall this ever happening to me in the first game. Is this happening to anybody else, or am I playing even worse than before?

I've noticed it too several times. Has me a bit worried.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Woo, finally getting Ultimate scores in Quest Medley mode.

I should probably stop neglecting the CollectaCard Crystarium stuff right about now also...
I'd use them if not for the fact I have a tendency of trying to make party members have all the same levels, so after so many levels (like 20 or 30), I switch to a set or 4 other characters so I can level them up.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I've noticed it too several times. Has me a bit worried.
For some strange reason, I didn't seem to have that problem in the demo. Think I'm gonna give it another try tomorrow (the demo I mean), and then also play a song or two in the previous game. Hopefully it's just a matter of getting used to whatever has changed (if that's the case), because I don't like the prospect of the game randomly failing to recognize my slides.

Are you guys sliding the stylus for flicking it? Because you aren't supposed to flick it. Also make sure you're holding your 3DS at a level angle too.
Don't think I am just flicking the stylus, but I'm gonna pay attention to the way I do it next time I play the game, to make sure I slide it well. That said, I did the same thing in the original Theatrhythm and it always worked fine, so maybe they changed something here.

Owensboro

Told myslef I was going to wait for a sale.

Made the mistake of downloading the demo.

Am now downloading the full game. I love the ability to use buttons. I always wanted the first game digitally so I could fire it up whenever without needing the cart.

Guess its time to sell my copy of the first game!

linko9

Played a bunch more online today, and then decided to play some single player for a change. Picked the "songs of the day" or whatever. One was from FF12, and had this ridiculous effect on all the notes where they're flying into or out of the screen. Really distracting and looks horrible. I had no idea this was in the game. How many songs are there like this?

suzu

Played a bunch more online today, and then decided to play some single player for a change. Picked the "songs of the day" or whatever. One was from FF12, and had this ridiculous effect on all the notes where they're flying into or out of the screen. Really distracting and looks horrible. I had no idea this was in the game. How many songs are there like this?

Do you mean the Airship levels FMS? The triggers on those songs come at you at an angle.

Dizzy-4U

Doing the FMS with the analog stick is not so good.

Those notes where you have to hold and then swipe at the end are tricky. Since you are already holding the analog up or down, as soon as the swipe note enters in range, it automatically gives you a "good". So you have to train your brain to let go half a second sooner and do the swipe to get the critical.

I think I'll go back to stylus :/

When I am late in a song and that happens I always lie to myself that I missed one earlier and the game forgot to tally it.
Ha, I do the same. I'd love to have an option to disable the "Good", "Great", "Critical" texts. That way I won't get nervous to screw up if I'm near the end. I somehow play a lot better when I already got a "Great" early on, there is no pressure.

womp

As someone who didn't even have this on their radar until this past Monday because I have owned the first game since launch and didn't spend a ton of time with it....all I have to say is that Curtain Call is CRACK.

SOOOO much nicer than the first. Overwhelmingly chock full of content. Love the Quest Mode and all the songs. So good!

For the record I have only tried playing a few Final Fantasy games over the past 30 years (I had VII at launch and bailed by disc 3 out of boredom, rented IV from the grocery store for SNES and had to return it at that demon wall)....and only finished FF III DS to completion (which I loved), but it doesn't matter because the gameplay is so much fun and the music is awesome.

Hugstable

Banned
Didn't event think about getting this game until I found out it released yesterday and just impulse bought it. BEST impulse buy ever! I played only maybe a few hours of the original, but there is just so much content available here! Really been enjoying the Quest Medley mode since it still counts your scores and ranks on the songs, and I really like the whole setup with the boss at the end and everything. My party so far consists of Bartz, ViVi, Lightning, and Y'shtola. Already got over 7 hours playing the game O_O

Anustart

Decided to see what all the hub bub was with this FFIX Battle 2. I'm going to have to channel both neo and rain man if I hope to complete it.

Dizzy-4U

Just got Fran, yay! I was getting worried.

Please tell me that Nail of the Heavens is in this to pretty much confirm to be the best 3DS game ever.

ohlawd

oh now I get the retiring thing after having done it to my main party

great. now even more people are behind in levels :x

Great Guy

Oh hey, I hit level 99 with one of my characters.

To reset or not, that is the question.

I usually delay and agonize over resets and ng+ options in games, but I reset my team right away in Curtain Call, because i know i'll be leveling them right back up to 99 as i can't put the game down.

Top Bottom