• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Yesterday was a blast! Rode all the big, big coasters at Cedar Point; started with MaxAir, which had been there before and I honestly I thought seemed kinda lame, was the only one open when we got there(because of high winds) so we rode it, and it was pretty cool!

One by one the other coasters opened up, and we rode, in this order: Wicked Twister, Mantis, Millenium Force, Maverick, The Gatekeeper, Raptor, Top Thrill Dragster, and Power Tower!

I had written before that I thought I had been on Maverick before, turns out I was thinking of another coaster, Maverick was the one that was being built the last time I had been(2006/2007), so I got to ride it for the first time, it was nuts! The greater than 90 degree drop is insane, and the rest of the coaster was fast and full of cool turns. To be honest, I thought that it was better than Gatekeeper(which was brand new and just had its' first riders in the last week), that's not to say Gatekeeper wasn't cool, in fact, it was pretty fun! Having just ridden Maverick right before it though, didn't do it any favors.

Overall, that was one of the best trips, if not the best trip, to Cedar Point I think I've ever experienced!

Glad to hear that GateKeeper is good.

And yes, Maverick is fucking amazing. I was totally shocked the first time I rode it. It proves that a coaster doesn't have to be massive to be awesome.

And yes, Maverick is fucking amazing. I was totally shocked the first time I rode it. It proves that a coaster doesn't have to be massive to be awesome.

Exactly! Most everyone else I was with had already ridden the Maverick, and I kept looking at it while we were in line and thinking that it didn't look that impressive at all, but I was basing that on the most stereotypical features of "good" coasters such as having a huge, huge drop, which actually made it an even better experience, since I was somewhat prepared to be maybe a little underwhelmed. The only thing I didn't care for about it was that(and this is my fault for not following riding etiquette) my head got bashed around a bit, and it felt like I was getting punched in my neck alternating from both sides, haha. I should've kept my head back to avoid that, and will next time I ride it. Overall though, it has definitely become my favorite coaster at the park.

Ive rode that coaster every year since it opened and it great but its already starting to rattle you a lot more. I hope its not a sign of thing to come, soon it will end up like the vortex at kings island.

Cedar Point was great. Couldn't have picked a better day to go. Wednesday, in May, people in work and school. There were quite a few school buses there full of teens, but it wasn't bad. Apparently it was some sort of Nasa day, where they had booths with colleges doing Science experiements along the walkway around Dragster but it was never bad.

The big story was the High wind throughout most the day. We got there at 9:30 and pretty much nothing was being tested or running. Park opened, people ran to Gatekeeper and nothing. This picture sums up a bit of Irony about the wind.

FRQ2duZ.jpg

We were able to ride Maverick twice in a 15 minutes span, which was great as I had only ever been on it once before. Millenium was down, Raptor, Gatekeeper, Dragster, hell even Gemini for most the day.

At around 3:30 people ran to Gatekeeper which is when they started testing it as the winds had started to subside a bit. After about 35 minutes of waiting in the sun (Almost got sunburnt, ouch!) We were moving! We had gotten in line pretty good, and only had to wait 10 minutes to ride once they started going.

The ride is unbelievable. It's sort of like Cedar Point's version of Soarin', in the fact that it's gorgeous, blue skies all around you, you feel like you're flying. The ride is silky smooth, great speed and twists. and easily is my new favorite ride in the park. I'm upset we only got to ride it once, as pretty much the rest of the night everyone was only in the Gatekeeper line and the park closed at 8.

Overall a great trip, and looking forward to going back soon :) Credits to my buddy Mike for the photos!

Ive rode that coaster every year since it opened and it great but its already starting to rattle you a lot more. I hope its not a sign of thing to come, soon it will end up like the vortex at kings island.

I've not noticed any difference, but I'm not terribly perceptive when it comes to things like that.

Cedar Point was great. Couldn't have picked a better day to go. Wednesday, in May, people in work and school. There were quite a few school buses there full of teens, but it wasn't bad. Apparently it was some sort of Nasa day, where they had booths with colleges doing Science experiements along the walkway around Dragster but it was never bad.

The big story was the High wind throughout most the day. We got there at 9:30 and pretty much nothing was being tested or running. Park opened, people ran to Gatekeeper and nothing. This picture sums up a bit of Irony about the wind.

FRQ2duZ.jpg

We were able to ride Maverick twice in a 15 minutes span, which was great as I had only ever been on it once before. Millenium was down, Raptor, Gatekeeper, Dragster, hell even Gemini for most the day.

At around 3:30 people ran to Gatekeeper which is when they started testing it as the winds had started to subside a bit. After about 35 minutes of waiting in the sun (Almost got sunburnt, ouch!) We were moving! We had gotten in line pretty good, and only had to wait 10 minutes to ride once they started going.

The ride is unbelievable. It's sort of like Cedar Point's version of Soarin', in the fact that it's gorgeous, blue skies all around you, you feel like you're flying. The ride is silky smooth, great speed and twists. and easily is my new favorite ride in the park. I'm upset we only got to ride it once, as pretty much the rest of the night everyone was only in the Gatekeeper line and the park closed at 8.

Overall a great trip, and looking forward to going back soon :) Credits to my buddy Mike for the photos!

Thanks for the impressions. It sounds great!

How does the front of the park look now? Better, I hope?

Sounds like you had a great time too! I agree with your description of Gatekeeper, was very cool! I was actually extremely exhausted and somewhat out it by the time I rode it, so your description is helping remember what it was actually like! Haha.

Now I'm sad that its going to be September 2014 before I can take our son to WDW

I can't wait to eat at Be our guest and take him to the pirates league, I always think they should expand on Pirates and do a bit more with it.

Just a shame its so expensive from the UK, its like £6000 or more in a value resort for two weeks with tickets and dining plan for 2 adults and a 3 year old

ps not been to universal for 4 years but we stayed a week at royal pacific resort and did everything multiple times, loved Jaws I'm gutted that its gone

Sounds like you had a great time too! I agree with your description of Gatekeeper, was very cool! I was actually extremely exhausted and somewhat out it by the time I rode it, so your description is helping remember what it was actually like! Haha.

Glad you guys liked it. :)

I wanted to ride it again, but didn't feel like a 90 minute wait at 7:00 when I just wanted to go home and sleep. xD

Now I'm sad that its going to be September 2014 before I can take our son to WDW

I can't wait to eat at Be our guest and take him to the pirates league, I always think they should expand on Pirates and do a bit more with it.

Just a shame its so expensive from the UK, its like £6000 or more in a value resort for two weeks with tickets and dining plan for 2 adults and a 3 year old

ps not been to universal for 4 years but we stayed a week at royal pacific resort and did everything multiple times, loved Jaws I'm gutted that its gone

Bummer :( I won't be going til 2014 either, so don't fret too much, plenty of others in that boat! Be our Guest sounds amazing though.

There's a decent selection of Pirate Themed activities, there's Pirates League of course, then Pirate Training with Jack Sparrow which is a cute fun little show to check out. Of course, Hook and Pan are there for pictures. Also, select times of year they have the "Pirates and Princess Party" which is just fantastic, with a special map with treasure to find as you explore the Magic Kingdom! A great parade and fireworks show for that too...

Universal's changed so much, with Back to the Future and Jaws gone now, definitely agree. They still have little easter eggs around the park as reminders of the rides, which is something at least. (Also Doc still roams around the streets for Photos!)

I love seeing this thread, as a huge theme park junkie. Its been about a decade since i've been to Hersheypark, and back then i still had my fear of heights. No longer is this the case, and i am pumped for some damn roller coasters.

Though on that note, how is there no mention of how insane The Smiler looks over in Alton Towers.

I love seeing this thread, as a huge theme park junkie. Its been about a decade since i've been to Hersheypark, and back then i still had my fear of heights. No longer is this the case, and i am pumped for some damn roller coasters.

Though on that note, how is there no mention of how insane The Smiler looks over in Alton Towers.

Now that your fear of heights has been subdued, you should come check out Cedar Point. ;)

I hear Hershey is fun though, as is Dorney and Kennywood.

Chucker

Does Kingda Ka still break down if you look at it funny? I waited in line to be in the front with a friend of mine, we sat down, got to the start line and then were held prisoner for 45 minutes before they backed us up and shut it down.

Chucker

How old will he be in 2014? We took our daughter when she was 19 months and she had a good enough time, but the very next month she started recognizing characters and we feel she would have had a better time.

Good thing about Sept 2014 - Low crowds and all of Fantasy Land should be open. (Seven Dwarves Mine Cart scheduled for early 2013.)

Linkified

How old will he be in 2014? We took our daughter when she was 19 months and she had a good enough time, but the very next month she started recognizing characters and we feel she would have had a better time.

Good thing about Sept 2014 - Low crowds and all of Fantasy Land should be open. (Seven Dwarves Mine Cart scheduled for early 2013.)

I think you mean Spring 2014 - featuring good old TDO's ability to spread budgets over so many years so it doesn't affect bonus payments.

FRQ2duZ.jpg

Nice! Though I'd need quite a few drugs to avoid being scared shitless by it :p. I admit I can be wimpy when it comes to this stuff.

aparisi2274

Does Kingda Ka still break down if you look at it funny? I waited in line to be in the front with a friend of mine, we sat down, got to the start line and then were held prisoner for 45 minutes before they backed us up and shut it down.

Nope... its been pretty stable over the last few seasons...but hey, it's still early. :)

D-Pad

Come on, guys. Not enough comments about the WINDSEEKER being shut down due to High Winds! lolz. I thought that was great...

I just hate that these "mega chair swings" are the new thing. > >;

Or it could be that I'm rather salty that SFoG's Sky Screamer replaced my favorite non-coaster ride in the park. RIP Wheelie, see you at Fun Spot I guess. :(

I just hate that these "mega chair swings" are the new thing. > >;

Or it could be that I'm rather salty that SFoG's Sky Screamer replaced my favorite non-coaster ride in the park. RIP Wheelie, see you at Fun Spot I guess. :(

Theyre really not that great, the one at CP is better then KI though just because of the view.

Now that your fear of heights has been subdued, you should come check out Cedar Point. ;)

I hear Hershey is fun though, as is Dorney and Kennywood.

Actually, Cedar Point was what did it. I got forced onto Top Thrill Dragster, and that made everything else seem a little bit tamer. Though i haven't been back since Maverick opened, so i need to ride that and Gatekeeper. Gonna miss Disaster Transport though.

Xun

For May next year I found flights + hotel around the Downtown Disney area to be about £750 per person.

Not bad in my opinion for 2 weeks.

Windjammer at Knott's Berry Farm had the same problem. It didn't last long.

Yep, definite problem with these types, funny, but sad.

Actually, Cedar Point was what did it. I got forced onto Top Thrill Dragster, and that made everything else seem a little bit tamer. Though i haven't been back since Maverick opened, so i need to ride that and Gatekeeper. Gonna miss Disaster Transport though.

Top Thrill Dragster is so terrifying just looking at it. Actually riding it, you're going so fast, you're over that hill so quick, you barely notice it. I much prefer Millennium Force and Magnum for the heights. :)

As for Disaster Transport, yeah you miss it in that nostalgic sense, but it was really a crummy ride. Space Mountain did it so much better.

Piggus

Tatsu is probably my favorite roller coaster. I liked X as well but I had such bad sunburn on my back and shoulders that it was extremely painful to ride.

Titan at Six Flags over Texas was pretty sweet too.

HOWEVER as much as I like big awesome roller coasters, Disneyland and California Adventure are by far my favorite theme parks. Disney is able to nail atmosphere unlike anyone else. Their parks feel truly special.

Heights only get to me on lift hills. Once a coaster gets going, I find myself twisting and turning too fast to really get a good sense of how high I am.

Vyer

Don't be too upset! This just means you'll miss MUCH larger crowds. There's still the Jedi Academy show you can check out, as well as the enhanced Star Wars ride at the Studios.

I went one year, and while it was cool, you just can't get anything done.

D

That's a good point and you're right. Still, I heard something about a 'frozen in carbonite' custom statue and damn that sounds cool... lol

That's a good point and you're right. Still, I heard something about a 'frozen in carbonite' custom statue and damn that sounds cool... lol

Yeah, that was cool, and my at the time girlfriend got her picture with Vader, and I bowed to him under threat of force choke. lol

Still, a better time is had at Disney with smaller crowds. Just check videos on youtube of all the special stuff.

Make sure you take tons of pictures and give us a full report when you're back!

Tatsu is probably my favorite roller coaster. I liked X as well but I had such bad sunburn on my back and shoulders that it was extremely painful to ride.

Titan at Six Flags over Texas was pretty sweet too.

HOWEVER as much as I like big awesome roller coasters, Disneyland and California Adventure are by far my favorite theme parks. Disney is able to nail atmosphere unlike anyone else. Their parks feel truly special.

I definitely know where you're coming from. Cedar Point is continually voted best Thrill Park on the planet. Yet, everytime I'm there, I miss Disney World terribly. The theming just does it so much better for me, even though I love the crazy rides. Plus the music, atmosphere, and nighttime shows can't be beat.

By the way, how's World of Color? Hope WDW gets it's soon :(

I work at worlds of fun, in charge of the crew that operates the timber wolf and cyclone Sam's. Working at an amusement park can be a great time, just do us all a favor and listen to us, we don't want anyone getting hurt, our job is your safety. :)

Edit: to clarify, Worlds of Fun in Kansas City, not sure if there happens to be another worlds of fun floating around somewhere.

Piano

Banned
Tatsu is my favorite as well....I think. That's tough to declare outright.

I went into it knowing nothing and the diving loop blew my mind.

Just to repost a question from earlier:

How does the entrance of Cedar Point look now? I can't find any pictures. I know they were redoing some stuff in addition to building GateKeeper.

He turns 2 tomorrow so he'll be 3 and a bit when we aim to go

At the minute he is crazy about cars so we may aim to stay at art of animation in a cars suite or if we are on a budget stat at Pop and just walk over the bridge daily to see the cars

Just to repost a question from earlier:

How does the entrance of Cedar Point look now? I can't find any pictures. I know they were redoing some stuff in addition to building GateKeeper.

NqgE1eA.jpg

Entrance gates straight ahead where it says "Yes, you're there yet" Ticket booths to the right, It's so much better than it was before, perfect with GateKeeper keeping it safe...

Chucker

He turns 2 tomorrow so he'll be 3 and a bit when we aim to go

At the minute he is crazy about cars so we may aim to stay at art of animation in a cars suite or if we are on a budget stat at Pop and just walk over the bridge daily to see the cars

The theming of AoA is fantastic. We stayed in Nemo because Lily calls all fish "Dorys", and she had a blast. I took a LOT of pictures while we stayed there, let me see if that album is public and I'll link it.

discohiro

Just announced!
vXxqwJ5.jpg

Springfield is coming to Universal Orlando Resort! An all-new Simpsons-themed area will open at Universal Studios Florida this summer – allowing guests to step into the world of The Simpsons like never before.

It will be the only place in the world where you can walk the streets of Springfield, grab a Krusty-certified meat sandwich at Krusty Burger, go nuts for donuts at Lard Lad, imbibe at Moe’s Tavern and more! Plus there will be Duff Beer – brewed exclusively for Universal Orlando - and a new attraction called Kang & Kodos’ Twirl ‘n’ Hurl that will take you “foolish humans” on an intergalactic spin designed to send you into orbit!

aparisi2274

Just announced!
vXxqwJ5.jpg

I just saw this too, looks really good!

I like that Universal is creating these worlds based on TV and movie worlds. The fact that I can get a Butterbeer at Hogsmeade is awesome and now I'll be able to eat at Krusty Burger or have a duff beer, that is so cool.

Just announced!
vXxqwJ5.jpg

This looks like it could be really awesome. I hope it's filled with subtle jokes and references like their current gift shop selling "Bort" plates mixed in with the normal names.

Does seem like it needs another attraction though. You've got The Simpsons Ride and the new Kang and Kodos teacups, then you have what I assume are going to be three eateries (Krusty Burger, Moe's, Duff Brewery) and two gift shops (Kwik-E-Mart, Comic Book Guy's store) in very close proximity. Could use a show or a museum-style attraction. Maybe that's what Android's Dungeon will actually be.

So is it safe to say that Universal Studios is moving toward specifically themed areas along the lines of IoA?

With this and Diagon Alley in the works, it certainly seems that way.

I haven't been to Universal since 08', but if my memory is correct, it's sort of divided into vague areas already like New York and the former Amity. I wouldn't mind them building up the characteristics of those areas. A lot of it sort of runs together.

So is it safe to say that Universal Studios is moving toward specifically themed areas along the lines of IoA?

With this and Diagon Alley in the works, it certainly seems that way.

Don't they already have a Woody Woodpecker themed zone?

Actually, won't the new Springfield area spill out towards Men In Black? Maybe some form of Treehouse of Horror retheme?

Top Bottom