• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

SmithnCo

More World Showcase attractions would be welcome, I always liked their scrapped ideas for a coaster or bullet-train themed ride for Japan. And if I could pick one ride that really needs to be updated, it's Norway.

Epcot could use an upgrade. Soarin' is still great, but I can't help but think with recent tech advances how much better it would be if it was high frame rate 3D. And the Test Track redesign was pretty lame. They should probably add some new rides to the World Showcase as well.

The new stuff added to Spaceship Earth is funny but it's still Spaceship Earth so no one even tries it.

Agreed, on most points. Except I haven't been on the revision of Test Track, as they were working on it while I was at the park last time.

World Showcase definitely needs another ride to even out Maelstrom. Sure, it has enough to keep you busy, but it'd be nice to have something on the opposite side of the pond, say France, Morocco or Japan.

As for Spaceship Earth, the changes were a huge upgrade, but I agree it's still on the :yawn: side of things, but purists love it all the same.
The E-surrance makeover was cute.

More World Showcase attractions would be welcome, I always liked their scrapped ideas for a coaster or bullet-train themed ride for Japan. And if I could pick one ride that really needs to be updated, it's Norway.

Bullet Train for Japan would be awesome.

Malestrom would be 100 times better if it drops where you think you are and it just ends up going backwards. :(

Vyer

That's really good, I also love the Madarin Flavored Coca Cola. Also, Japan's orange health drink is actually pretty tasty too.

Now I want to go to Epcot :(

That one's good, I really like Mezzo Mix though I think it's just coke with some orange flavor. I wish they sold the stuff there but loitering and drinking it for free is fine too, lol.

Obviously I don't know exactly what this soda thing is, but so far it sounds amazing.

Branduil

Agreed, on most points. Except I haven't been on the revision of Test Track, as they were working on it while I was at the park last time.

All they did was redo everything in black and neon colors, and take out the hot/cold/rain parts. The theming really sucks now. :( At least the outside part is still amazing.

The one fun part is designing your own ridiculous futuristic cars in the queue line. But it's false advertising because the ride doesn't actually test your design like they claim it does.

Obviously I don't know exactly what this soda thing is, but so far it sounds amazing.

It's a little sparkling piece of Heaven right in the middle of Future World (the part where you walk in at Epcot) just ask for Club Cool, or find it on the Map, it's awesome.

The weird thing is, they sell ICEE's there other drinks, when there's no reason to ever buy these there. lol. There's some cool Coca Cola apparel though.

Try all the flavors, but definitely Beverly first.

SmithnCo

Is Test Track like an actual coaster?

It's high-speed at least. The premise is you're testing a car, so there are points where it speeds and slows, winds around curves, and whatnot, all before the finale where it guns along a track outside.

Branduil

Is Test Track like an actual coaster?

The original Test Track was a "car simulator" sponsored by GM. There's an indoor section which "tests" your car for things like brake time, turn handling, offroad handling, heat, cold, and corrosion resistance, while taking you along a predefined track. There was lots of theming to make it look like a real testing track or windy mountain road, etc. Then at the end they test the speed and you shoot out of the building along a huge track until you reach 65 MPH.

The new Chevy version just replaces all the theming with black and neon lines, and gets rid of the environmental testing.

Picobrain

Banned
Ah I am so fucking scared to go on a roller coster. I went in Ferrari World (Abu Dhabi) and I had chance to ride on the fastest roller coster in the world but i got scared so I rode on the smaller one and still it was scary as shit. My eyes were closed my legs shaking. I have the same fear when flying in planes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijuQwnfBBZw

Heading to Cedar Point on Wednesday for the first time in 5 or 6 years!

You're going Wednesday too? AWESOME! :D

The original Test Track was a "car simulator" sponsored by GM. There's an indoor section which "tests" your car for things like brake time, turn handling, offroad handling, heat, cold, and corrosion resistance, while taking you along a predefined track. There was lots of theming to make it look like a real testing track or windy mountain road, etc. Then at the end they test the speed and you shoot out of the building along a huge track until you reach 65 MPH.

The new Chevy version just replaces all the theming with black and neon lines, and gets rid of the environmental testing.

No more hot or cold testing? That was one of the coolest parts :(

LOL that looks truly awful. I would never go on a roller coaster like that, especially one as obviously shoddy and poorly maintained. I never go on Carnival rides either, just because I can't trust they'll be safely maintained or operated. Obviously the big parks don't have perfect track records, but they're a heck of a lot safer than things like that.

It does look very awful. It reminds me of Primeval Whirl in terms of making me violently ill.

They have been surveying guests in World Showcase about a new country and new atttactions last I recall. Probably in the area between China and Germany.

I'm pretty okay with World Showcase being what it is though: an escape for adults. It bored the hell out of me as a child, but it's such a unique area that I can't imagine would ever be created again (the opportunity for WESTcot was on the table for California Adventure iirc). I will say American Adventure is a god damned waste of space / redundant and I'd happily support some kind of E Ticket attraction taking its place. The Fuji Coaster would be an amazing centerpiece of WS there. Unfortunately it seems to be popular with foreign crowds.

Hollywood Studios and Future World need waaaay more attention than WS however. Studios is a travesty of a park with exactly 6 rides and Backlot is a shell of its former self. I only bother with it for RnR, Tower, Toy Story, Star Wars and Sci Fi, which really needs more material even if it's one of my favorite places in all of WDW. Future World actually has a lot of underappreciated attractions outside of Test Track and Boarin', but Mission Space is nauseating and Imagination should have never been changed. So much space unused there. Animal Kingdom needs some love too, but the theming saves it. Dinoland is shit and undeserving of the awesomeness that is Dinosaur.

If you catch someone looking at you just a little longer than usual.......it might be weird, and it definitely won't be me, cause I don't know what you look like. ;)

Have fun!

That sounds like it's a quote from something xD Anyway, likewise. lol

Maverick is awesome, make sure you do that a couple times, also, can't wait to try out GateKeeper. :)

They have been surveying guests in World Showcase about a new country and new atttactions last I recall. Probably in the area between China and Germany.

I'm pretty okay with World Showcase being what it is though: an escape for adults. It bored the hell out of me as a child, but it's such a unique area that I can't imagine would ever be created again (the opportunity for WESTcot was on the table for California Adventure iirc). I will say American Adventure is a god damned waste of space / redundant and I'd happily support some kind of E Ticket attraction taking its place. The Fuji Coaster would be an amazing centerpiece of WS there. Unfortunately it seems to be popular with foreign crowds.

Hollywood Studios and Future World need waaaay more attention than WS however. Studios is a travesty of a park with exactly 6 rides and Backlot is a shell of its former self. I only bother with it for RnR, Tower, Toy Story, Star Wars and Sci Fi, which really needs more material even if it's one of my favorite places in all of WDW. Future World actually has a lot of underappreciated attractions outside of Test Track and Boarin', but Mission Space is nauseating and Imagination should have never been changed. So much space unused there. Animal Kingdom needs some love too, but the theming saves it. Dinoland is shit and undeserving of the awesomeness that is Dinosaur.

Well said, I too like World Showcase as it is now, but Maelstrom is just sorta on an island. Wouldn't mind an accompanying ride to sort of go along with it on the other side of the lake. 100% agree on American Adventure. Best thing is when the Blue coats come out and play music in the middle of the street.

Backlot tour space is a waste of space, and The Lights Motor Action needs changing too. Also lol @ Boarin'

Also agree 100% on Imagination. Bring the Dreamfinder back!

SmithnCo

Oh man, I feel the same about Sci-fi. I absolutely love the atmosphere but always wish they would change up the loop. There's gotta be a lot more 50s and 60s footage they can scrounge up and play at different intervals to keep it fresh.

Imagination is always kinda depressing to go to, there's no line or enthusiasm for that thing at all. You'd think Imagineers could make a better attraction about Imagination (And they had, before it was changed) but I guess the budget isn't in it.

Oh man, I feel the same about Sci-fi. I absolutely love the atmosphere but always wish they would change up the loop. There's gotta be a lot more 50s and 60s footage they can scrounge up and play at different intervals to keep it fresh.

I always dream that Disney somehow obtains the rights to show MST3k at Sci Fi. Perfect fit!

Imagination is always kinda depressing to go to, there's no line or enthusiasm for that thing at all. You'd think Imagineers could make a better attraction about Imagination (And they had, before it was changed) but I guess the budget isn't in it.

I ate there my first visit in 2007. I loved the car seats, and the waiters were a delight, but yeah, the entertainment would be better slightly refined.

I always dream that Disney somehow obtains the rights to show MST3k at Sci Fi. Perfect fit!

Haha, Indeed!

As for Imagination, they done screwed up. Dreamfinder for Life! (He did come back for Epcot's 25th and 30th Anniversary's for a day!)

Branduil

I think American Adventure should stay for the reason you said, it's popular with foreign crowds. I don't think they should make World Showcase "for kids" but it could definitely use some more rides.

That sounds like it's a quote from something xD Anyway, likewise. lol

Maverick is awesome, make sure you do that a couple times, also, can't wait to try out GateKeeper. :)

Thanks! I've been many times, just not in a few years. Rode all of the big ones(Millenium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Raptor, Maverick, etc.) so I'm really excited for Gatekeeper!

I think Millenium Force might be my favorite, that first drop!

Kinda bummed I found out we are just barely going to miss this Star Wars Weekends thing.

Don't be too upset! This just means you'll miss MUCH larger crowds. There's still the Jedi Academy show you can check out, as well as the enhanced Star Wars ride at the Studios.

I went one year, and while it was cool, you just can't get anything done.

I think American Adventure should stay for the reason you said, it's popular with foreign crowds. I don't think they should make World Showcase "for kids" but it could definitely use some more rides.

It's just too close to the feeling you get at Liberty Square at Magic Kingdom, even with it being about the Presidents. I still think that space can be more efficiently used.

Thanks! I've been many times, just not in a few years. Rode all of the big ones(Millenium Force, Top Thrill Dragster, Raptor, Maverick, etc.) so I'm really excited for Gatekeeper!

I think Millenium Force might be my favorite, that first drop!

I can't wait :D

Well said, I too like World Showcase as it is now, but Maelstrom is just sorta on an island. Wouldn't mind an accompanying ride to sort of go along with it on the other side of the lake. 100% agree on American Adventure. Best thing is when the Blue coats come out and play music in the middle of the street.

Backlot tour space is a waste of space, and The Lights Motor Action needs changing too. Also lol @ Boarin'

Also agree 100% on Imagination. Bring the Dreamfinder back!

I actually enjoy Soarin' at Disneyland because I can walk on it. It isn't worth waiting in the FP line for us anymore.

As for any of these enhancements: I'm really hoping that Disney sees the fire under Universal's ass to put new attractions out and responds. New Fantasyland is a good start, but they take more time to build a bathroom than Universal does to build an entire attraction. I love the old stuff, but it's hard not to put up with Universal's BS for their rides. I'd flip my shit for that Jeep Safari Jurassic Park expansion.

I actually enjoy Soarin' at Disneyland because I can walk on it. It isn't worth waiting in the FP line for us anymore.

As for any of these enhancements: I'm really hoping that Disney sees the fire under Universal's ass to put new attractions out and responds. New Fantasyland is a good start, but they take more time to build a bathroom than Universal does to build an entire attraction. I love the old stuff, but it's hard not to put up with Universal's BS for their rides. I'd flip my shit for that Jeep Safari Jurassic Park expansion.

That's awesome you can walk on it in Cali, it's such a crazy wait still to this day at Epcot. :( I like it quite a lot myself, love the smells. :)
and Patrick Warburton

Sure New Fantasyland took forever to build, but then WWoHP took quite forever in itself. Also, yes to that JP expansion.

Also, kudos to everyone for getting this thread going again. Brought back some great memories. <3

Yeah! How many times have you been before?

Also, Power Tower, down or up?

I've been at least a dozen times. Haven't gone many times in the past few years, I lived in Orlando for a while, which is why you see me post so much about those parks. Have you been there?

As for Cedar Point, Millenium is definitely a favorite, as is Gemini, Iron Dragon and Maverick was just so sweet the first time I went on it (which is the only time I went on it!)

Only went on the Power Tower down. I'll go on it up Wednesday just for you. xD

Don't be too upset! This just means you'll miss MUCH larger crowds. There's still the Jedi Academy show you can check out, as well as the enhanced Star Wars ride at the Studios.

I went one year, and while it was cool, you just can't get anything done.

It's just too close to the feeling you get at Liberty Square at Magic Kingdom, even with it being about the Presidents. I still think that space can be more efficiently used.

I can't wait :D

After our September trip last year, I don't think I can do summer crowds again. Doing every major ride in all 4 parks in a single day without rushing was such a great experience.

That's awesome you can walk on it in Cali, it's such a crazy wait still to this day at Epcot. :( I like it quite a lot myself, love the smells. :)
and Patrick Warburton

Sure New Fantasyland took forever to build, but then WWoHP took quite forever in itself. Also, yes to that JP expansion.

Also, kudos to everyone for getting this thread going again. Brought back some great memories. <3

Always down for parks discussion, history and construction rumors have become a big hobby of mine in the last several years.

Also on IoA/Toon Lagoon:

Waiting 2.5 hours for DDR log flume is a special hell I wouldn't wish on anyone. That standby line is atrocious, claustrophobic and exemplifies the issues with Universal's pay to skip lines system.

After our September trip last year, I don't think I can do summer crowds again. Doing every major ride in all 4 parks in a single day without rushing was such a great experience.

Always down for parks discussion, history and construction rumors have become a big hobby of mine in the last several years.

You know have they have the Happy Birthday/1st Visit buttons, they really need a special button for legit 4 park in one day goers!

Yeah, Park discussion is awesome, we're off to a good start.
Bring Sea World back to Ohio!

SmithnCo

Also on IoA/Toon Lagoon:

Waiting 2.5 hours for DDR log flume is a special hell I wouldn't wish on anyone. That standby line is atrocious, claustrophobic and exemplifies the issues with Universal's pay to skip lines system.

I was wondering what the hell was up with that queue, usually you can walk on, but when there's a line, be prepared to be waiting in a weird, claustrophobic, dark hallway. There's a queue that they really should bring up to standard.

I've been at least a dozen times. Haven't gone many times in the past few years, I lived in Orlando for a while, which is why you see me post so much about those parks. Have you been there?

As for Cedar Point, Millenium is definitely a favorite, as is Gemini, Iron Dragon and Maverick was just so sweet the first time I went on it (which is the only time I went on it!)

Only went on the Power Tower down. I'll go on it up Wednesday just for you. xD

Nope, haven't been to any of the parks in Florida yet. Mainly those in the Michigan area, as that's where I'm from.

God, I just started thinking about Power Tower down, and that feeling while you're hanging there waiting for it to drop.....oh god. Haha.

Up is cool, I think I prefer down, but Up is still really fun I think....just picture yourself as a superhero about to fly and you'll feel particularly badass I think, at least that's what I plan on doing!

Nope, haven't been to any of the parks in Florida yet. Mainly those in the Michigan area, as that's where I'm from.

God, I just started thinking about Power Tower down, and that feeling while you're hanging there waiting for it to drop.....oh god. Haha.

Up is cool, I think I prefer down, but Up is still really fun I think....just picture yourself as a superhero about to fly and you'll feel particularly badass I think, at least that's what I plan on doing!

If you ever get a chance to see WDW or Universal, you need to! So much fun. Also Sea World <3

It's been a good 5 years since I've done Power Tower. I remember loving it. I've done Twilight Zone Tower of Terror plenty which reminds me a bit of it, maybe more of Demon Drop!

I was wondering what the hell was up with that queue, usually you can walk on, but when there's a line, be prepared to be waiting in a weird, claustrophobic, dark hallway. There's a queue that they really should bring up to standard.

Now I'm scared to ever go on that ;___;

SmithnCo

Now I'm scared to ever go on that ;___;

Hah, it's not too bad... I just remember it was weird that section of the queue was strangely cramped feeling, and of course it's compounded if the line is slow.

The ride's exterior is some great theming however, and I'm glad it was repainted recently because that was my only other issue with it.

I expect full details on GateKeeper for those of you heading to CP soon.

I went to the Six Flags park by Chicago last year and they had the same type of coaster there. It was pretty great, not being able to see a track below or above you is kind of insane the first time. Another plus is depending on the "wing" you ride on, you get a slightly different ride.

I expect full details on GateKeeper for those of you heading to CP soon.

Of course, I'll be getting to the park an hour early to wait for the ride essentially. Of course, they're calling for AM thunderstorms the first 3 hours theyre open (only a 30% chance of rain though) so hopefully I'm not waiting too much longer :(

Gotta be up at 7 am tomorrow to leave for Cedar Point. it's hard to go to sleep and wake up that early when you were up the previous night to past 3 am. :(

Top Bottom