• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Goldrusher

All of that<Star Wars Land, Cars Land Orlando, Monstropolis, Avatar Expansion, and whatever is in the pipeline for EPCOT.

You only need to look at visitor numbers. Disney is in another league.

17,536,000 ... Magic Kingdom
11,063,000 ... Epcot
9,998,000 ... Animal Kingdom
9,912,000 ... Hollywood Studios

7,981,000 ... Islands of Adventure (was only ~4.5 million before Harry Potter)
6,195,000 ... Universal Studios
5,358,000 ... SeaWorld
4,348,000 ... Busch Gardens Tampa

(2012 attendance / source)

Xun

Star Wars Land is literally just redressing the Backlot Express Cafe into a Cantina theme and putting Jedi training academy for the kids indoors. You might see some additional theming around the area but that's it. There not doing anything ambitious.

I was thinking they would announce a version Cars Land at D23 in August but now i'm hearing P&R isn't even having a keynote and WDI people already said there will be no new announcements. So that sucks. Honestly it would be a disappointment either way because Cars Land should stay exclusive to CA and they should build something different but of equal quality in Orlando to give people incentive to visit both parks.

Unfortunately they just won't do anything ambitious anymore especially not in Orlando.
That's just speculation based on the fact Backlot Express is being closed in September, no? We really don't know what they have in store for us.

D23 will likely be a disappointment, but why does that stop Disney from announcing their plans elsewhere? Anyway, they may have just been lowering our expectations so they can surprise us.

Disneyland and California Adventure together will give you most of what you'll get at the entire WDW resort, with several plussed attraction (Pirates, Indy, Space) to boot. WDW won't offer you much aside from the far superior Tower of Terror, slightly superior Haunted Mansion, Everest, and Rock n Rollercoaster. The latter two don't compare to Universal's coasters anyway, imo. And you're going to have to navigate all four parks to see everything. Universal's parks are within five minutes walking distance from each other and if you stay onsite you get a free water taxi to and from the parks, and an express pass which acts like an unlimited Disney fastpass with no time restrictions. Highly recommended.

I'd also recommend Universal for Spider-Man and Forbidden Journey, which you can't get in California (also my number 2 and 3 rides in the world behind Transformers), along with the vastly superior Mummy (my number 4) And that's not even considering Gringotts next year which seems like it will render damn near every other dark ride in the world completely obsolete.

This kind of ignores things like World Showcase, the resorts, Animal Kingdom, etc.. I realize that those things aren't E-Ticket super attractions per say, but they are a large part of the experience.

Also the part where almost every queue at Disneyland is god awful Six Flags style switch-back.

That's just speculation based on the fact Backlot Express is being closed in September, no? We really don't know what they have in store for us.

D23 will likely be a disappointment, but why does that stop Disney from announcing their plans elsewhere? Anyway, they may have just been lowering our expectations so they can surprise us.

Nothing has been announced and all of that is speculation. We'll know more when Mama Melrose stops taking reservations.

This kind of ignores things like World Showcase, the resorts, Animal Kingdom, etc.. I realize that those things aren't E-Ticket super attractions per say, but they are a large part of the experience.

Also the part where almost every queue at Disneyland is god awful Six Flags style switch-back.

You're right, I was going at it from an attractions point of view. Honestly, Epcot is the most unique park at WDW and offers something you can't get anywhere else. I should have mentioned it purely for World Showcase.

Animal Kingdom has always underwhelmed me. Nice theming (fuck Dinoland though) but it's barely even a half day park unless you're really into live shows. And after riding Indy, Dinosaur is borderline insulting to me.

At least for the higher ticket rides, I don't feel that Disneyland's switchbacks are too annoying. Though no switchback has irritated me as much as WDW Space Mountain's station. That's a cockblock if I've ever seen one. No star tunnel theme to ease the pain either.

It is speculation but it's backed up by people saying to not expect anything major with the scope of the star wars overlay. It also fits with Disney's MO especially for WDW.

Doesn't stop them from announcing it elsewhere but it will probably be a long while since there more than likely in the very earliest stages of design and it won't be completed for several years. Just look at the fact that Universal will have opened a Transformers ride, a simpsons area, and a major second phase of Harry Potter in the same time it is taking Disney to build a very basic 7 dwarfs kids coaster. It's a pretty sad state of affairs at Disney.

Doesn't stop them from announcing it elsewhere but it will probably be a long while since there more than likely in the very earliest stages of design and it won't be completed for several years. Just look at the fact that Universal will have opened a Transformers ride, a simpsons area, and a major second phase of Harry Potter in the same time it is taking Disney to build a very basic 7 dwarfs kids coaster. It's a pretty sad state of affairs at Disney.

Especially considering that Universal will have opened four new E-tickets by 2015 and will still have tons of options after that (plot between MIB and Springfield, Seuss, Kidzone, FFL replacement).

You're right, I was going at it from an attractions point of view. Honestly, Epcot is the most unique park at WDW and offers something you can't get anywhere else. I should have mentioned it purely for World Showcase.

Animal Kingdom has always underwhelmed me. Nice theming (fuck Dinoland though) but it's barely even a half day park unless you're really into live shows. And after riding Indy, Dinosaur is borderline insulting to me.

At least for the higher ticket rides, I don't feel that Disneyland's switchbacks are too annoying. Though no switchback has irritated me as much as WDW Space Mountain's station. That's a cockblock if I've ever seen one. No star tunnel theme to ease the pain either.

Dinosaur is a great ride, even if it isn't as good as Indy.

The early concept art and decreased budget really bums me out though:

jbgoQhbwnu1ReD.jpg

Xun

It is speculation but it's backed up by people saying to not expect anything major with the scope of the star wars overlay. It also fits with Disney's MO especially for WDW.

Whilst I agree Disney need to step up a gear, I personally think the coaster will be fantastic.

I'm expecting a ride quite similar to Splash Mountain, but as a coaster.

The Disney experience beats all. Universal doesn't provide the separation from the outside world like The Walt Disney World Resort provides.

Universal is more about "rides, rides, and rides!!!!' whereas Disney is about the overall guest experience.

The Disney experience beats all. Universal doesn't provide the separation from the outside world like The Walt Disney World Resort provides.

Universal is more about "rides, rides, and rides!!!!' whereas Disney is about the overall guest experience.

There's something to be said for both.

Disney is riding on nostalgia while raking in record attendance numbers and profit. Prices increase while quality decreases. They've pretty much abandoned their previously unequaled employee training program. They spend upwards of a billion dollars on wristband technology while the Jungle Cruise is hitting 90 minute wait times because for all it's hype and construction, New Fantasyland introduced one additional dark ride to date.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sold on Universal and I've had my share of disastrous experiences there (getting stuck waiting 2.5 hours in Dudley Do-Right's claustrophobic nightmare of a queue is a special kind of hell I wouldn't wish on anyone), but they are kicking Disney's ass in innovation right now and it's only getting worse. Why bother continuing to innovate when people will pay top dollar at capacity crowds for what's already there?

LuuKyK

Island Of Adventures is just as immersive as Disney imo. All the areas are amanzingly themed. From Jurassic Park to Harry Potter and Simpsons.

Branduil

Universal's theming isn't as complete as it could be. I shouldn't be able to see the gray metal building that the Harry Potter castle is build around.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not sold on Universal and I've had my share of disastrous experiences there (getting stuck waiting 2.5 hours in Dudley Do-Right's claustrophobic nightmare of a queue is a special kind of hell I wouldn't wish on anyone), but they are kicking Disney's ass in innovation right now and it's only getting worse. Why bother continuing to innovate when people will pay top dollar at capacity crowds for what's already there?

I could see Universal consistently stealing two days from guests' Disney vacation after Diagon Alley opens, and if momentum keeps up, they might be able to steal another day by 2015/2016 with Kong, JP, and whatever else is in the pipeline. Surely that has to worry Disney a bit.

Ripsaw Falls' queue is indeed awful. I usually only ride it with express or single rider.

Speaking of express, that's something I think Universal obliterates Disney on. While the wristband tech and Fastpass+ will require setting up a park schedule, the unlimited express offered for Uni's onsite hotels is as simple as "everything is 20 minutes or less. Go nuts." It lets guests act as freeform as they want, and that's something I've really appreciated my last couple of stays there. Nothing beats walking on Spidey three times in a row when standby is 40 minutes lol.

Island Of Adventures is just as immersive as Disney imo. All the areas are amanzingly themed. From Jurassic Park to Harry Potter and Simpsons.

Shoutouts to Marvel Super Hero Island as well. It seems to get some flak but I love it. The music played there pumps me up so much to ride Hulk and Spidey. IoA has a fantastic soundtrack all around with this park entrance song stealing the show.

Universal's theming isn't as complete as it could be. I shouldn't be able to see the gray metal building that the Harry Potter castle is build around.

I wonder how much the general public notices it. The amount of rockwork needed to obscure it completely would be insane, especially on the JP side.

My fondness of The Walt Disney World Resort comes mainly from EPCOT, the beautiful Port Orleans resort, and being in The Magic Kingdom at night. Nothing beats the constant marathon of riding Pirates, Thundermountain, and The Haunted Mansion while the rest of the park is preoccupied with fireworks.

Much of my enjoyment comes from the atmosphere of the World Showcase in the evenings. Nothing in Universal tops the World Showcase for me. It isn't the "rides" in each country, either. It's being able to walk past the Morrocan show, catch a decent coverband during the summer, and watch the band that plays in the UK pavilion a few times. Endings the night with Illuminations is the best evening, ever.

LuuKyK

Shoutouts to Marvel Super Hero Island as well. It seems to get some flak but I love it. The music played there pumps me up so much to ride Hulk and Spidey. IoA has a fantastic soundtrack all around with this park entrance song stealing the show.

Wooow dude you made my day. I didnt even know IoA had a soundtrack. :lol This songs bring some very fond memories. Thanks for that. I think IoA was my favorite park when I visited the US for the first time. Sooo good. It has an amazing mix of well thematized areas with very good and intense coasters (the later being one thing I think Disney lacks). Dont get me wrong though, the Disney parks are just as amazing, its just a preference matter, since I like me some roller coasters. :p

Regarding the Harry Potter area, when I visited the park for the last time it wasnt finished so I cant really tell, but from what Ive seen on youtube, and as a reader of the books and a fan of the series, they did an AMAZING job. Honestly I probably wouldnt mind the back of the castle when visiting Hogsmeade with that amount of details. It woulndt even affect my immersion at all, but thats just me. I cant wait to see the expansion finished. They will have London, the Hogwarts Express and the Gringotts Bank right? I wonder when it will be open to public?

Dragon Challenge bothered me in this respect.

I can't believe they were too lazy and/or cheap to repaint the tracks. Anyone who has read the books knows that Hungarian Horntails are black, not bright teal. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

When they go above and beyond in almost every respect, the handful of small overlooked details stick out like a sore thumb.

I love Super Hero Island, too.

I like the fact that the area is still themed with an 80s/90s Marvel animation aesthetic rather than one based around the 00s Marvel films. It makes for an awesome nostalgia kick.

The weakest parts of the park are Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park. Toon Lagon, because nobody wants to see Cathy and Betty Boop in a theme park, and Jurassic Park, because it's fucking Jurassic Park and there's not a single legit thrill/dark ride in the area.

They will have London, the Hogwarts Express and the Gringotts Bank right? I wonder when it will be open to public?

Summer 2014 is likely.

Dragon Challenge bothered me in this respect.

I can't believe they were too lazy and/or cheap to repaint the tracks. Anyone who has read the books knows that Hungarian Horntails are black, not bright teal. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

When they go above and beyond in almost every respect, the handful of small overlooked details stick out like a sore thumb.

Dragon Challenge needs a large upgrade to theming. Repaint the tracks and trains, plant some trees and put up some rockwork that the ride can interact with.

JP should be getting an E-ticket in 2015 hopefully.

Whilst I agree Disney need to step up a gear, I personally think the coaster will be fantastic.

If your expecting splash mountain level then boy you are in for a huge disappointment. It's a short ride with only 2 actual show scenes and the figures will not be audio animatronics like in the 20 year old splash mountain but rather the cheap mannequins that disney uses in their fantasyland dark rides.

Those same problems exist in every disney attraction built after 1992. Hell with all the tree removal disney has done you can now clearly see the haunted mansion show building even from the queue! And I believe expedition Everest is only half complete the whole building is exposed to the parking lot and because it looked so bad they gave the DAK team a small budget to paint it a brown color and make some of the bulges look like buildings built into a mountain but its a vey poor job all around.

My fondness of The Walt Disney World Resort comes mainly from EPCOT, the beautiful Port Orleans resort, and being in The Magic Kingdom at night. Nothing beats the constant marathon of riding Pirates, Thundermountain, and The Haunted Mansion while the rest of the park is preoccupied with fireworks.

Much of my enjoyment comes from the atmosphere of the World Showcase in the evenings. Nothing in Universal tops the World Showcase for me. It isn't the "rides" in each country, either. It's being able to walk past the Morrocan show, catch a decent coverband during the summer, and watch the band that plays in the UK pavilion a few times. Endings the night with Illuminations is the best evening, ever.

I agree that both Disney Resorts offer things that no other theme park has and (at one time) Disney is/was so obsessed with atmosphere and immersion that you get a really unique experience. It would be nice to be able to grab dinner at Le Cellier without needing a reservation 6 months in advance however.

getting stuck waiting 2.5 hours in Dudley Do-Right's claustrophobic nightmare of a queue is a special kind of hell I wouldn't wish on anyone
Is that the Splash Mountain-ish one? We got stuck in there too. It's the worst. The problem is they take all of the fastpass-thingpeople first and don't alternate with the regular line at all

So as I'm no longer within a few hours drive of WDW and have to pay out the ass for flights to Orlando and Anaheim from the Midwest, I've been reading around about the long rumored Disney plans for the Texas MegaMetro triangle. Not much to it, probably won't happen, but did lead me to find this "EarthQuest" project slated for the northern Houston area.

Website has a lot of concept art and honestly it's pretty impressive stuff. Of course, found out the design company that seems to have taken the lead has a number of former imagineers on staff.

The truly crazy say that it's a shell company for a Disney Resort, much like how WDW came to be. Wouldn't put any money on that, but it is nice to want things.

Xun

If your expecting splash mountain level then boy you are in for a huge disappointment. It's a short ride with only 2 actual show scenes and the figures will not be audio animatronics like in the 20 year old splash mountain but rather the cheap mannequins that disney uses in their fantasyland dark rides.
I was referring more to the thrill of the ride, but I'm reserving judgement until we actually hear peoples opinions on it.

I think it'll turn out quite nicely, but we'll have to wait and see.

Those same problems exist in every disney attraction built after 1992. Hell with all the tree removal disney has done you can now clearly see the haunted mansion show building even from the queue! And I believe expedition Everest is only half complete the whole building is exposed to the parking lot and because it looked so bad they gave the DAK team a small budget to paint it a brown color and make some of the bulges look like buildings built into a mountain but its a vey poor job all around.
I've sadly never been, but the trees are one of the many reasons Disneyland Anaheim appears to have more charm than the Magic Kingdom.

I'm hoping Disney will add more, but I sadly doubt it.

dmag1223

I rode Gatekeeper at Cedar Point last weekend, wasn't to impressed with it tbh. Not nearly as good as the last few new coasters there. The line for the ride moved really fast though, which was nice.

The shoreline was perfect for an L shaped double out and back twister roller coaster. Instead they settled with the cookie cutter looper with a cheap gimmick.

The shoreline was perfect for an L shaped double out and back twister roller coaster. Instead they settled with the cookie cutter looper with a cheap gimmick.

Possibly next thing they do, that part of the park was desperate for something, its had nothing in it, and now it also gives the park a unique entrance which it lacked before as well.

The Mean Streak defiantly needs to go. Really the only thing the park is missing is a top flight wood coaster.

Ehhh, it doesnt really bother me. I go to cedar point for the fast steel coasters and I go to Kings Island for the more old school wood stuff.

As such as a fan of theme parks as I am, I always forget this thread exists lol

I heard it would be something similar to Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars in Hong Kong Disneyland. I think that already would be pretty good.

overcast

Where are they supposedly building monstropolis? Disneyland or Disney World?

I can't wait until after summer so I can finally go back to Disneyland.

Cars Land, Disneysea and Mystic Manor appear to have comprehensive themeing that obscure the ride buildings well.

I was refering to the stateside parks as Disneysea is owned by a different company and HK DL is 50/50 ownership between the Walt Disney company and the Hong Government I believe.

Carsland looks fantastic but just like everest they only themed the part inside the park. If you drive outside its just a generic warehouse looking building with flats on it. I don't think Walt Disney would have let things like that slide I mean that Matterhorn is themed 360 degrees all around same with the Castle and any other icon you can see outside the park.

As such as a fan of theme parks as I am, I always forget this thread exists lol

I heard it would be something similar to Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars in Hong Kong Disneyland. I think that already would be pretty good.

Nah Grizzly is more like a mini everest or big thunder. The Snow White coaster is most similar to the Casey Jr. ride at Disneyland. Its a very small family coaster

Cedar Point needed this:
cqr3c69v0010g48qkmcs3n.jpg

instead of this uninspired looper by the numbers:

ef2gveakbg0007q4dab6f5.jpg

Disagree, GateKeeper is a fantastic addition, and I agree with the other poster saying it's more of a King's Island thing.

Also, anyone going to Cedar Point this weekend? Thinking about going Saturday or Sunday.

I was refering to the stateside parks as Disneysea is owned by a different company and HK DL is 50/50 ownership between the Walt Disney company and the Hong Government I believe.

Carsland looks fantastic but just like everest they only themed the part inside the park. If you drive outside its just a generic warehouse looking building with flats on it. I don't think Walt Disney would have let things like that slide I mean that Matterhorn is themed 360 degrees all around same with the Castle and any other icon you can see outside the park.

Wrong. The Matterhorn sat unfinished for years while Walt was still alive.

Skunkers

I agree with you completely, however, 1994. Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is the crown jewel of Disney theming at WDW. Blizzard Beach and Animal Kingdom proved they still had it (despite Dinosaur's shortcomings) until 1998, but IOA was 1999 and WDW has not matched Universal's best ever since. It's a goddamn shame no WDW E-ticket has surpassed ToT in almost two decades.

Top Bottom