• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Wynnebeck

Banned
Hey a roller coaster thread! I remember going to thrillride.net many years ago as a kid reading all the roller coaster reviews, etc. Since I live in VA I get to visit Busch Gardens Williamsburg and King's Dominion. Verbolten at BGW is awesome and caught me and my girlfriend off guard the first time we went on it with the pitch black drop. I can't wait to go again this summer. :)

Got kind of bored of six flags over georgia after the second trip. lots of coasters, lots of kid rides, very little of anything else (besides overpriced food). Could also be the fact that i stood in line for 4 hours for a mediocre ride (dare devil dive). Ready for something new.

if only I could afford a trip to california to visit SFMM...

Did you ride the Ninja?

I haven't been since they added Goliath (Holy shit, it's been a long time). It's a decent park. Really the best one in the region for thrill rides (Excluding Florida, obviously). I feel like they're really lacking in anything that isn't a coaster. It could really use a state-of-the-art dark ride, motion simulator, or something. According to their website, it looks like they don't even have any shows currently. That's a shame. I loved the Batman stunt show and animal tricks as a kid.

I'm kind of confused as to why Six Flags doesn't support it more, since it doesn't have any real competition nearby. Seems like some retooling could be really beneficial.

Did you ride the Ninja?

iYw4U6Mvvn4VE.gif

Did you ride the Ninja?

I haven't been since they added Goliath (Holy shit, it's been a long time). It's a decent park. Really the best one in the region for thrill rides (Excluding Florida, obviously). I feel like they're really lacking in anything that isn't a coaster. It could really use a state-of-the-art dark ride, motion simulator, or something. According to their website, it looks like they don't even have any shows currently. That's a shame. I loved the Batman stunt show and animal tricks as a kid.

I'm kind of confused as to why Six Flags doesn't support it more, since it doesn't have any real competition nearby. Seems like some retooling could be really beneficial.

I think Ninja is down currently.

D-Pad

Yeah, it won't be open until the 17th. Something about its lift system being busted.

And Ninja ain't that bad. There are worse coasters in the park. Great American Spine-Breaking-You-Can't-Scream Machine and Dahlonega Knee-Buster-Tunnel Mine Train. Georgia Cyclone was up and beyond painful until they added that new topper track.

I wish I was still on The Hulk at Universal.

That beginning is 30 seconds of some of the best roller coastin' anywhere. Wish the back half didn't taper off. I feel like the track layout is OK and some heavy theming could bring it up several notches. Excluding the elements, the first 30 seconds plays off the launch tunnel, the lagoon, and the bridge. Back half is just grass under you.

relaxor

what?
The Smiler at Alton Towers looks outstanding!! The inversion count, the secret element, and the look of it are novel. I'm always blown away by Alton Towers theming and integration into the landscape, I think Nemesis would be a favorite if I made it over there. Very cool.

As is that loop/hill structure on Full Throttle at Magic Mountain, I think they adorn that mountain with roller coasters very tastefully.

I used to enjoy going to six flags over georgia, but the last few times its been so expensive, so crowded, and generally not much fun. A lot of the charm of the place has been ripped out and smashed into a samey experience. Anything unique is falling apart or reduced to its base essentials, with the exception of Monster Mansion.

Loved the relaunch of Monster Mansion a few years ago by Gary Goddard. Top notch effort considering what they had to start with.

Six Flags is kind of the only option around here for theme parks. (Atlanta)
Always wanted to take the drive and visit Dollywood, as that seems to have the charm that Sixflags Ga abandoned. Anyone been?

Always wanted to take the drive and visit Dollywood, as that seems to have the charm that Sixflags Ga abandoned. Anyone been?

I went several times as a kid. It definitely has a lot of spirit. The log cabin aesthetics are nice and it's just plain pleasant. I remember it smelling good, and I know that sounds silly, but it sticks in my mind that around every corner was a fresh aroma of funnel cake, kettle corn, cotton candy, fried chicken, and the like. They often had big events planned and the staff was friendly and passionate. There were several shows, museums, exhibits, and a bald eagle preserve. A lot of the stuff there is obviously devoted to Dolly Parton, and yeah... It's pretty tacky, but the heart of the park is based around the Smoky Mountains and old country life, and it does that stuff very well. It's very lively, too. You're always running into vendors and performers.

The downside is their wasn't much for thrill-rides. When I went I can only really recall three major rides: A motion theater that played Thunder Road (Which was actually a really cool car chase with a good sense of speed) and some other thing where Dolly and a scientist took you on an aerial tour of the Smoky Mountains; a (pretty good) log flume ride; and the Iron Butterfly coaster, which was good but won't likely be making any top 10 lists. There was also a carnival section which had the typical fairground rides, and a train.

Of course, it's been over ten years since I've gone, so I have no idea what's changed.

Really? Last time I was at DL I didn't see a section dedicated to live animals or a section dedicated to the movies. The only thing I did notice was the Innoventions pavilion.

While I think DL and MK are way to similar with what rides appear at both, WDW has a lot to offer that DL does not...
Yeah, but in terms of rides there isn't much. There's the roller coaster in the live animal park, and what in the movie section? I don't remember there being that much to do there. Epcot has the Test Track and the Mission to Mars (which is actually awesome), but aside from that there isn't much different.

overcast

So for two people, about how much time/money would it be to visit the Orlando parks (Universal and Disneyworld) and see a satisfying amount of it.

Thinking about going within the next two years. I would probably try my best to avoid summer.

The Smiler at Alton Towers looks outstanding!! The inversion count, the secret element, and the look of it are novel. I'm always blown away by Alton Towers theming and integration into the landscape, I think Nemesis would be a favorite if I made it over there. Very cool.

Oh yes, Nemesis is a stunning coaster by any standard you care to name. The theming, the landscape, the layout... top class.

They haven't put a top-class coaster at the Towers since Air a decade ago, so the Smiler is incredibly welcome.

It does look really good; they've confirmed they've got the inversion record.

So for two people, about how much time/money would it be to visit the Orlando parks (Universal and Disneyworld) and see a satisfying amount of it.

Thinking about going within the next two years. I would probably try my best to avoid summer.

We went with 4 people and had someone that could get us tickets to all of Disney for about nothing and it was still a pretty expensive.
Universal should be 2 days overall, 1 day for every Disney park and give yourself 1 extra day for a repeat at your favorite Disney park.
Disney Animal Kingdom can be skipped, one of the worst parks I have been to.
could be better now though I went in '05
i'd also suggest Busch Gardens & Seaworld while you are there.

Disney's All-Star Music Resort is probably the best deal for cheap hotel
be prepared for ridiculous food & drink prices, makes something like SixFlags look cheap.
at Universal the best deal for food was pizza in the Marvel section.
I still laugh at Animal Kingdom having even higher drink prices then all the other Disney parks, and its the hottest park with the least to do

Yeah, it won't be open until the 17th. Something about its lift system being busted.

And Ninja ain't that bad. There are worse coasters in the park. Great American Spine-Breaking-You-Can't-Scream Machine and Dahlonega Knee-Buster-Tunnel Mine Train. Georgia Cyclone was up and beyond painful until they added that new topper track.
I actually like that ride alot, hope the retrack didn't ruin it.

Linkified

Wow didn't even knew this thread existed...but I'm anxious for D23 to see if anything substantial is coming to World. But Uni continues in my view to push themed entertainment on a level of quality that used to be the preserve of Disney.

So a Cedar Point 1 day ticket is 55 at the gate. They're selling their own Fast Pass/Fast Track system now, 60 dollars for Millenium Force/Raptor, and 80 bucks for EVERYTHING including the new Gatekeeper, Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, etc.

What's everyone's thoughts on these kind of passes?

This thread has made me realize that I take living within 10 minutes of Cedar Point for granted. My office actually even looks out at it. Used to go there 10-15 times a summer. Even worked there most of the summers of my teenage life. Haven't been there in over three years though. I really need to go this summer.

So a Cedar Point 1 day ticket is 55 at the gate. They're selling their own Fast Pass/Fast Track system now, 60 dollars for Millenium Force/Raptor, and 80 bucks for EVERYTHING including the new Gatekeeper, Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, etc.

If its anything like Universal's, it's basically a real life cheat code.

I went twice last year and bought the fast pass for $45 extra, it included all the fast pass rides. Shitty that theyre charging more.

I will say it made my experience 100 times more enjoyable consider it was 95 out that day. Dont buy them right away, go into the park and gauge the crowd first, it may not be needed.

You'd be crazy not to buy one. The lines are generally massive for all the rides. I've waited upwards of 2 hours for Millenium Force and Dragster when I used to go regularly.

H3xum

Worth it. Stinks that it's so much, but if you're going for 1 day only you need it. Instead of 60+ minutes per line it'll be 15.

I'm heading there with a group of friends next weekend wooo!

Chucker

Wow didn't even knew this thread existed...but I'm anxious for D23 to see if anything substantial is coming to World. But Uni continues in my view to push themed entertainment on a level of quality that used to be the preserve of Disney.

I had never gone to a Disney park until I turned 21, after I went I was that asshole who would tear apart the lack of theming at other parks.

I don't think we're gonna hear much of anything at D23 aside from maybe Carsland coming over to Hollywood Studios. Lights Motors Action hasn't had their contract renewed, and that is some prime real estate.

Why didnt knew about this thread? Theme parks are my passion. Subscribed to it without a doubt.

Mystic Manor has opened at Hong Kong Disneyland.

on-ride video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=kEApcS_kVqM

It's basically their Haunted Mansion, but it's original in every way.
It's also not scary at all.

The house is owned by an explorer called Lord Henry Mystic.
You are his guest, about to get a tour of his very own museum, which is full of collectibles, curiosities and artifacts.
However, his pet monkey Albert opens a magical music box... and the entire mansion comes alive.

Amazing blend of animatronics, projections and screens. Music by Danny Elfman.

mysticmanorfull.jpeg

video & pic: disneyandmore.blogspot.com

Wow, that changed a lot from the original pich. The original characters were very similar to the ones found on the ToT Hotel Hightower at Tokyo DisneySEA, Henry Mystic looked like Harrison Hightower III and the monkey looked like the statue, now they look more like puppets.
Dont get me wrong, it looks fantastic, but its always interesting seeing the changes in a project.

they're expensive but worth it.

They have a similar one for SFMM, for that one guy who was planning on going.

Xun

Summer time just isn't worth it.

Not only is it incredibly busy, the weather is also pretty crappy (far too hot, and 3 o'clock rain showers). Easter is in my opinion the best time to go.

I had never gone to a Disney park until I turned 21, after I went I was that asshole who would tear apart the lack of theming at other parks.
Nothing tops the Disney parks for me, nothing.

The theming is what really makes the parks, since it just takes you out of the real world for a bit.

Chucker

Summer time just isn't worth it.

Not only is it incredibly busy, the weather is also pretty crappy (far too hot, and 3 o'clock rain showers). Easter is in my opinion the best time to go.

The theming is what really makes the parks, since it just takes you out of the real world for a bit.

Yup. We live in MD, so we're not exactly "near" a Disney park, there was a stretch when my girlfriend(now wife) and I were going 3 times a year. Hell for 3 years we had premium annual passes. The best part is that she became a travel agent so now we get commision on our own trips, steep discounts on lodging(I think it's like half off staying on property) and I think we get 2 free 2 day park hoppers per year.

For whomever was talking about going to the Orlando Parks and best bang for the buck:
We always went in Early May before schools got out, or in October. Both times have lower crowds and mild weather.

Though Disney has my favorite ride(Tower of Terror) & show (Indiana Jones)
IOA wins for me with the Marvel and Jurassic Park overall sections.
Gotham section at Six Flags is also up there for me.

Tower of Terror has the best theme of any single ride I have ever been on though.

Chucker

Though Disney has my favorite ride(Tower of Terror) & show (Indiana Jones)
IOA wins for me with the Marvel and Jurassic Park overall sections.

They're different parks for different things IMO. Disney's theming is the best in the business, although Wizarding World is starting to close the gap. If I want thrill rides, you better believe I'm going to IOA.

They're different parks for different things IMO. Disney's theming is the best in the business, although Wizarding World is starting to close the gap. If I want thrill rides, you better believe I'm going to IOA.
I really need to go again sometime, it wasn't there yet back when I went.

This thread has made me realize that I take living within 10 minutes of Cedar Point for granted. My office actually even looks out at it. Used to go there 10-15 times a summer. Even worked there most of the summers of my teenage life. Haven't been there in over three years though. I really need to go this summer.

No excuses man! Too many good coasters there now. I'm going next week, going in May is great, you won't even need that super fast pass!

legbone

man, reading this thread makes me wish i still lived in ohio. i grew up there and as a kid we used to go to cedar point, kings island, geauga lake and wyandot lake every summer. man i miss those days.

I don't think we're gonna hear much of anything at D23 aside from maybe Carsland coming over to Hollywood Studios. Lights Motors Action hasn't had their contract renewed, and that is some prime real estate.

Ha, went to WDW first time at 23. They do themeing better than anywhere, but Cedar Point does Thrill rides. It's hard to find a good balance anywhere.

overcast

I went to Disneyland a few times as a kid, I liked it, but my dad took us to Knott's/Magic Mountain more often.

I met my girlfriend and her and her mom went to Disneyland a few times a year. I went with them, ever since then I've been addicted. It's incredible how effective they are at making you believe you're so far away from the real world. Pretty corny, but it's a great feeling.

I really do love IoA's theming. Even Port of Entry is really cool, and it's nothing but gift shops.

I think Port of Entry is the best entrance land of any theme park. Immaculate theming and the music really helps.

IoA has a surprisingly great soundtrack period. Marvel in particular:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTVYe9wLlIU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iwr_IlKjr5U

I believe both of those tracks were written by Howard Drossin of Sonic and Knuckles fame.

Ha, went to WDW first time at 23. They do themeing better than anywhere, but Cedar Point does Thrill rides. It's hard to find a good balance anywhere.

Universal Orlando? You have Hulk, Dragons, HRRR, and Mummy for thrills. For themed experiences, Spidey, Forbidden Journey, and (soon to be) Transformers are three of the best dark rides period. Also plenty of water rides with Ripsaw Falls, Bilge Rat Barges, and Jurassic Park.

I live in Spain, and was a fan of disney parks (have lots of imagineering books and encyclopedias) even before going to them. It was my dream since I was small to go to one. The first one I went was to Disneyland in Anaheim 2 years ago and its was the best experience I had in my life.

Chucker

I really do love IoA's theming. Even Port of Entry is really cool, and it's nothing but gift shops.

Port of Entry is fantastic. After rereading my initial post about it, I feel like I don't give IOA enough credit. Marvel, and the Comic section have the worst theming, and by that I mean worst in the park, which is still great.

Fumoffu

Neo Member
Going to San Francisco for a few days before SDCC, thoughts on Six Flags Discovery Kingdom? Based on some reviews doesn't look great. Never been to a Six Flags.

Back when I went to Disneyworld I was 15 and had that stupid "Im too old for this" attitude until I actually got to the park.
Wish I had taken more pictures than I did.
Really want to go again at some point

Back when I went to Disneyworld I was 15 and had that stupid "Im too old for this" attitude until I actually got to the park.

That's why I'm glad when I went back to Disney World for the first time in like 10 years last June, I ended up taking over 1500 pictures in less than a week.

I can't wait to go down again this October.

As someone who grew up in southern california, the idea that teenagers may think they're too cool for disneyland is incomprehensible. Everyone always enjoyed going regardless of age. The only criticism ever leveled at it was the cost.

Nelo Ice

Banned
As someone who grew up in southern california, the idea that teenagers may think they're too cool for disneyland is incomprehensible. Everyone always enjoyed going regardless of age. The only criticism ever leveled at it was the cost.

Yep my cousin whose only 14 is already in that mode. She thought it was stupid how I still loved and enjoyed the place so much. I grew up in SoCal for the most part and going to Disneyland was always special no matter how often I went. Went there this year for the first time in like 10 years and it was still magical.

Top Bottom