• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theme Parks & Roller Coasters |OT| The Happiest Place on GAF

Chucker

Toon Lagoon has really great water rides. Have never gotten more soaked on a ride than I did on Popeye's Barges.

Seuss Landings is what really lets the park down, for me.

Well, to be fair it's a "kid" section. One Fish Two Fish is kind of fun with somebody who doesn't know what happens if you mess up.

Well, to be fair it's a "kid" section. One Fish Two Fish is kind of fun with somebody who doesn't know what happens if you mess up.

It's Disney's Fantasyland with all the charm and whimsy removed and everything made gratingly quirky. There are plenty of places with much better kiddie zones.

DISCLAIMER: Dr. Seuss sets my teeth on edge at the best of times.

What are the differences between the mummy ride in Hollywood and the one in Orlando?

Orlando's has a longer dark ride section and is longer overall, though its backwards section is limited to a single drop.

Bertram, thoughts on Spider-Man vs. Forbidden Journey? FJ is more thrilling and the tech impresses me more, but I slightly prefer Spidey since it seems to flow better and is much more coherent. FJ often feels very disjointed and random to me. Both are my top 2 dark rides regardless.

Just returned from Universal Studios.

It was fun, but definitely not as good as IoA. Some of the attractions are really, really dated (Twister is downright embarrassing), but there's still plenty of fun to be had. Mummy was pretty cool, and the Rockin coaster (or whatever it's called) was surprisingly good. Lots of airtime, which is always fun.

I will give credit to Universal's employees - they are uniformly excellent. They're not as seamlessly integrated as WDW's employees, but I was amazed at how efficiently they loaded and unloaded riders.

While it falls far short of Disney at variety and theming, and far below a place like Cedar Point in the variety and intensity of thrill rides, it's still a very nice pair of parks. However, I don't know if I buy it as a vacation destination in the same way as WDW. I got through both in one day, and I'm confident a large family could get through them in no more than two.

strobogo

Banned
I think Kings Island is better than Cedar Point. CP had 4 good rides and the rest were straight up carnival stuff. KI has a solid 10 really good rides and a lot of smaller stuff. CP's lay out is 100% better, though. I want to go to KI again, but I don't really like driving and I'm usually ready to go after riding everything in 3 hours.

I think Kings Island is better than Cedar Point. CP had 4 good rides and the rest were straight up carnival stuff. KI has a solid 10 really good rides and a lot of smaller stuff. CP's lay out is 100% better, though. I want to go to KI again, but I don't really like driving and I'm usually ready to go after riding everything in 3 hours.
Wow, seriously?

The only people I know who like KI more than CP are people with small children. KI's kids' areas are unquestionably better than CP's, but I can't think of any other aspect in which KI bests CP.

Beast is better than any wooden coaster that CP has. Although, that isn't saying too much. Beast is forgettable outside of the helix at the end. Although, I'd rather spend a day at Six Flags Great Adventure than KI or CP. Nitro outdoes anything at either of the two other parks.

KI could use a good wooden roller coaster like The Kentucky Rumbler, Thunderhead, El Toro, or The New Texas Giant.

When did you go? Cedar Point has tons of really great rides

Going to Cedar Point Wednesday! 78 degrees and sunny. :D Gatekeeper here I come. xD

lol what? 4 good rides? Millenium Force, Magnum XL 200, Raptor, Mantis, Maverick, Top Thrill Dragster, Gatekeeper and that's just scratching the surface...

strobogo

Banned
Wow, seriously?

The only people I know who like KI more than CP are people with small children. KI's kids' areas are unquestionably better than CP's, but I can't think of any other aspect in which KI bests CP.

For real. I've been to both and preferred KI in everything except lay out/cleanness. Although it got a lot cleaner and well kept once Cedar Fair bought it. And a 5 1/2 hour drive through Ohio to get to CP is just brutal. Driving through Ohio is the worst.

When did you go? Cedar Point has tons of really great rides

I believe it was 2003 or 2004 when I went to CP. I wasn't very impressed when I went then.

Branduil

Just returned from Universal Studios.

It was fun, but definitely not as good as IoA. Some of the attractions are really, really dated (Twister is downright embarrassing), but there's still plenty of fun to be had. Mummy was pretty cool, and the Rockin coaster (or whatever it's called) was surprisingly good. Lots of airtime, which is always fun.

I will give credit to Universal's employees - they are uniformly excellent. They're not as seamlessly integrated as WDW's employees, but I was amazed at how efficiently they loaded and unloaded riders.

While it falls far short of Disney at variety and theming, and far below a place like Cedar Point in the variety and intensity of thrill rides, it's still a very nice pair of parks. However, I don't know if I buy it as a vacation destination in the same way as WDW. I got through both in one day, and I'm confident a large family could get through them in no more than two.

My biggest problem with the two parks compared to Disney is the lack of convenient transportation. That should be fixed a little bit with the addition of the Harry Potter train next year.

Also, the Butterbeer was good, but I wasn't too impressed with the actual food at Hogwarts. The lunch at Belle's Castle in the Magic Kingdom was far better by comparison.

For real. I've been to both and preferred KI in everything except lay out/cleanness. Although it got a lot cleaner and well kept once Cedar Fair bought it. And a 5 1/2 hour drive through Ohio to get to CP is just brutal. Driving through Ohio is the worst.

Worse than driving through Pennsylvania or Michigan? No way.

I bitch a lot about construction here, but Ohio's roads are pretty well maintained, especially compared to most of our neighbors. Pennsylvania's and Michigan's roads are downright decrepit.

My biggest problem with the two parks compared to Disney is the lack of convenient transportation. That should be fixed a little bit with the addition of the Harry Potter train next year.

The parks are like five minutes away from each other when walking, or less. And the boat taxis will get you to and from your hotel.

I believe it was 2003 or 2004 when I went to CP. I wasn't very impressed when I went then.
I went right before Top Thrill Dragster opened (2002 maybe?) and it still had a ton of really good rides.

Also, the Butterbeer was good, but I wasn't too impressed with the actual food at Hogwarts. The lunch at Belle's Castle in the Magic Kingdom was far better by comparison.

You've eaten at Belle's Castle already? Is that the Be Our Guest place? How is it? I know you said better, but I've never been to either :p

I had lunch at Cinderella Castle and found the food "alright" with the ambiance being fantastic though, especially having a window seat.

strobogo

Banned
I went to IOA when it was just The Hulk and Spiderman was brand new. It was terrible. I really wanted to go to Universal, but IOA was "the same thing". It was not the same thing and because of it I never got to do Jaws, Terminator, or BTTF.

Haha, Twister is so lame. I knew Universal employees who said its crappiness was a joke among them.

The first time I saw it, it was like. Well that's kind of cool, there's a Little tornado thing behind that glass.

Then that was it, and the place just sits there. If they're gonna dump Back to the Future, Twister needs out.

Revenge of the Mummy is one of my all time favorite rides anywhere though. Love the themeing.

Haha, Twister is so lame. I knew Universal employees who said its crappiness was a joke among them.

Two-thirds of the goddamned "ride" is ancient video of Helen Hunt and Bill Paxton going on and on about how destructive tornadoes are - like there's anyone in the U.S. who isn't aware of this already.

Then it spits fire and water in your face a few times and it's over. So fucking awful.

Revenge of the Mummy is one of my all time favorite rides anywhere though. Love the themeing.

Mummy is indeed great. My only complaint is that there's a portion toward the end of the ride where you can clearly see a bunch of projector screens sitting on concrete. Other than that, it's pretty swell.

Mummy is indeed great. My only complaint is that there's a portion toward the end of the ride where you can clearly see a bunch of projector screens sitting on concrete. Other than that, it's pretty swell.

I just love the feel of the heat on your face during the ride! Not a terrible queue either. It's my favorite attraction in all of normal Universal Studios, that's for sure.

SmithnCo

I just love the feel of the heat on your face during the ride! Not a terrible queue either. It's my favorite attraction in all of normal Universal Studios, that's for sure.

The queue for Mummy is great, yeah. One of the best next to Forbidden Journey for me.

Mummy's definitely the ride to beat at USF. It's the total package. Dat
fake ending

Transformers will give it a run for it's money though. It's great to see USF improving. With Transformers and Diagon Alley the park should be on the level of IoA. Gringotts is supposed to be the most advanced themed ride in the world bar none.

Universal seems to overdo it with the fire and water effects, but Mummy is probably the best implementation of fire/heat.

Branduil

You've eaten at Belle's Castle already? Is that the Be Our Guest place? How is it? I know you said better, but I've never been to either :p

I had lunch at Cinderella Castle and found the food "alright" with the ambiance being fantastic though, especially having a window seat.

It's pretty great, we ate in the West Wing with the dark lighting and the fake storm outside the faux window. All of the food is "French," I had the grilled steak sandwich meal and it was delicious.

550146_442051845832320_1365480095_n.jpg

It's pretty great, we ate in the West Wing with the dark lighting and the fake storm outside the faux window. All of the food is "French," I had the grilled steak sandwich meal and it was delicious.

550146_442051845832320_1365480095_n.jpg

WOW! So, yeah, totally eating there when I head back to Disney next :D Thanks for the photo!

discohiro

I visited USF two weeks ago and snapped some photos of the various Springfield eateries that are being added.

Here's a shot of the majority of the rehab across the lake.
V47U4Zwl.jpg

Moe's Tavern
umKDtfol.jpg

Krusty Burger
QAz2N0Nl.jpg

Kentucky Fried Panda?
QizCyLsl.jpg

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
This right here is my favorite woodie coaster!

El Toro (SF GADV):

ElToro.jpg

eltoro06_joshdavidson.jpg

El Toro POV Ride

Picking a steel coaster is a bit harder for me, since there are so many good ones around the country...

EDIT: My choice seating location for ANY coster is the last row in the last car of any ride. You get a faster ride (rest of the train is pulling you) and you get more air time as you go over the camel backs

I just rode El Toro for the first time a week ago. It's by far the best ride in the park and one of the best rollercoasters I've ever ridden. I couldn't believe how smooth and intense it was for a wooden coaster. It's unlike anything else I've experienced. While the entire ride is great, the hill that crosses over Rolling Thunder provides the most insane ejector airtime. Felt like it could have launched me halfway across the park if I wasn't strapped in. I rode it in the very front, very back, and a few times in the middle. The front was my overall favorite, but the first drop in the back was superior.

Kentucky Fried Panda is copyrighted?

The change was to avoid any conflict with KFC. The rumor mill on another forum made it sound like "Kentucky Fried" anything can be dangerous. We'll see when it opens though. Strange that they haven't announced it yet. Supposed to open alongside Transformers.

I felt the same with the jurrasic park and cartoon sections as well. JP needs more things to do! and the cartoon ones do just feel empty, I think its because its just that long section with not a lot of trees or anything.

I know you said you have the pass, but how busy is the park now? What kind of wait times are you seeing posted?

JP needs another ride, but Cartoon Lagoon has two very solid water rides. If those aren't your thing then I can understand not liking it, but for me, there's nothing quite as satisfying on a 95 degree summer day in Florida as getting soaking wet on a water ride.

JP needs another ride, but Cartoon Lagoon has two very solid water rides. If those aren't your thing then I can understand not liking it, but for me, there's nothing quite as satisfying on a 95 degree summer day in Florida as getting soaking wet on a water ride.

I keep wanting to see Hydrosaur Cove, and they never take us there! :(

discohiro

I've joked with friends that it should be included in the story of a new JP attraction should they build one. Most likely it's used for boat storage.

Branduil

The change was to avoid any conflict with KFC. The rumor mill on another forum made it sound like "Kentucky Fried" anything can be dangerous. We'll see when it opens though. Strange that they haven't announced it yet. Supposed to open alongside Transformers.

Seems like a protected parody name to me, but I guess they didn't even want to chance it.

shoplifter

I went twice last year and bought the fast pass for $45 extra, it included all the fast pass rides. Shitty that theyre charging more.

I will say it made my experience 100 times more enjoyable consider it was 95 out that day. Dont buy them right away, go into the park and gauge the crowd first, it may not be needed.

Seriously. I paid like $40 for it last year and it covered the whole park. Nice to see them gouging so hard on them.

Top Bottom