• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are now just six Northern White Rhinos left on earth :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, as far as I can tell, medicine really isn't the reason, it's more to do with art and and other bullshit. Kinda like ivory.

No no, blame the Chinese. This is something we can narrow down. Most of mankind don't care for Rhino horns, just Chinese elite.

People in Yemen use their horns a as holster for their daggers. That should be illegal

They didn't evolve so they died. Its all apart of God's plan.

image.php

That explains it..thanks, Jay Z.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
We really need cloning, like yesterday.

Serious question, is anyone saving genetic samples of these species? We have to reach a point where we can both clone things and isolate and revise the problematic areas of interbreeding in the next century or two, right?

Yeah, there is a "bank" saving tissue and DNA of endangered species. I think it was set up in the early 00's. I have no idea if they expanded to include/store species that aren't considered endangered.

RoKKeR

Man, we suck.

The world had a good thing going until we showed up. Hope this population finds a way to hold on.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I still think we should go with that conservation plan they had a few years back where they just deposit a bunch of these rare African animals in the midwest USA.

Clydefrog

Wow, six left? :( Sounds pretty dire...

I wonder if somewhere out there is a planet full of intelligent white rhinos that are poaching the last of their majestic human.

I wonder how much money is spent on these breeding programmes. Would it not be cheaper and easier to employ groups of protectors for these animals who are authorised to shoot and kill poachers on sight? Make their habitats off limits to unauthorised people (clearly marked) so if anyone crosses over they're fair game.

This is fucking disgraceful. Jesus wept. I guess their extinction is an inevitability now? May sound like a stupid question, but with 6 left, that's SOMETHING, right?

Tons of species went extinct before humans even existed. Blame whatever diety you think is behind the evolutionary process if you hate extinction so much. And humans are part of nature too so this is still natural selection.

You're blaming this on natural selection? Lmao.

Are you a superstitious Chinese person by any chance?

Man, we suck.

The world had a good thing going until we showed up. Hope this population finds a way to hold on.

Plenty of species came and went before we arrived, and plenty will come and go after we depart. Sometimes they become extinct due to natural factors, sometimes they become extinct due to the predatory habits of other species. One might even argue that the predatory habits of other species are in fact a natural factor.

So to me this is not something to lament, it's just the way of the world.

StayDead

He was the last male not considered to be too old to breed,

Fuck :/

Why did we have to kill so many species. We're awful, awful animals.

I am just arguing that this isn't not natural selection.

This isn't natural selection. We didn't naturally come across guns or naturally start expanding into huge cities. We went against nature to do that.

Humans are an animal. Thus our actions and the selective pressures we place on animals are still natural selection.

If you believe in god/theistic evolution then blame him not us.

I don't believe in god, I also don't believe you can be serious with this argument. Its terrible.

rogue74

Can they possibly move some southern white rhinos to the north in order to encourage breeding?

They did something like that here with the Florida panther. There were so few left that they were inbreeding and cubs were being born with genetic defects. They introduced some cougars from out west into the Florida panther's territory and it reversed the trend.

I don't believe in god, I also don't believe you can be serious with this argument. Its terrible.

You don't even know what I am arguing then. I am not saying this is good or that it doesn't matter. I take issue with people saying it isn't natural selection. It is, because humans are animals.

Fuck :/

Why did we have to kill so many species. We're awful, awful animals.

This isn't natural selection. We didn't naturally come across guns or naturally start expanding into huge cities. We went against nature to do that.

Everything that happens, by definition, is natural. We didn't violate the laws of physics or the universe to achieve anything, as far as I'm aware.

Konosuke

Tons of species went extinct before humans even existed. Blame whatever diety you think is behind the evolutionary process if you hate extinction so much. And humans are part of nature too so this is still natural selection.

Yeah, but we have the means to prevent this, or should have them already.

Can't we just capture, and inprison all the poachers? :/

Implying poachers are the ultimate problem is like implying the street corner drug dealer are the ultimate problem.

No, you want to capture and imprison the wealthy southeast asian buyers who are creating the market in the first fucking place.

Those are the poster children. If they're not creating a market, poachers don't risk their lives trying to kill these animals. But perhaps they're not an attractive enough face to put on this. Never ceases to amaze me how often your average person will fail to see the forest for the trees when it comes to this kinda shit.

You don't even know what I am arguing then. I am not saying this is good or that it doesn't matter. I take issue with people saying it isn't natural selection. It is, because humans are animals.

Your terrible argument basically states that everything humans do is natural selection because we're humans. You can apply that to anything. Your initial post even stated that animals went extinct before we were even around so you're comparing them.

That's not how this works.

Jaeger

Implying poachers are the ultimate problem is like implying the street corner drug dealer are the ultimate problem.

No, you want to capture and imprison the wealthy southeast asian buyers who are creating the market in the first fucking place.

Those are the poster children. If they're not creating a market, poachers don't risk their lives trying to kill these animals. But perhaps they're not an attractive enough face to put on this. Never ceases to amaze me how often your average person will fail to see the forest for the trees when it comes to this kinda shit.

Why are you coming off so angry, though? Anyway, that doesn't make much sense. Are you implying we lock up all the dope fiends, and leave the dope peddlers alone? It's not them. It's the crackheads. They created the market. Those guys peddling aren't the issue at all, I guess.

The people going out, and killing these Rhinos to sell to whomever the fuck are the problem. Have you ever seen a Rhino after they take their horn? Most of the time they are still alive, missing most of their face. Yea, the sell and purchase needs to be stopped, too. But if you stop the source, i.e. the actual Rhino killing sons of bitches, then we may get somewhere and actually prevent Rhino deaths.

Your terrible argument basically states that everything humans do is natural selection because we're humans. You can apply that to anything. Your initial post even stated that animals went extinct before we were even around so you're comparing them.

That's not how this works.

No, it is how it works. It's literally the definition of natural selection. Whether or not you personally want animals to die for whatever personal or moral reasons you might have is irrelevant. Putting aside opinions and emotions, the fact that a species A became extinct because of something that species B did is natural selection.

Edit: And you can replace A with humans and B with Ebola if you want. It would still be true (if that were to actually happen)

Well, if we start saving them from now there's hope.

According this article in 1985 there were only 10 Virginia Northern Flying Squirrels scattered among 4 areas in their habitat range.

However, in the same habitat range in 2013 they are now found in over 100 sites with 1100 squirrels total.

Humans aren't the worst when it comes to animal extinction, isn't it like 90% of animals that have ever been on the planet became extinct before humans? We still do cause unnecessary extinction of animals, which sucks. I hope we can save them before the go extinct though :( the thought of an entire species ceasing to exist is troubling.

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/7-animals-saved-near-extinction

Jaeger

Humans that slaughter other animals for their horns for proven bullshit medicines, that the general public and law forbid and prosecute is not natural selection.

What the hell is going on, right now.

Humans that slaughter other animals for their horns for proven bullshit medicines, that the general public and law forbid and prosecute is not natural selection.

I have no idea. Apparently 9/11 was natural selection, according to some really crap analogy.

"Species A that causes species B die because of reason C" is natural selection, regardless of what you substitute for A, B, and C.

Jaeger

"Species A that causes species B die because of reason C" is natural selection, regardless of what you substitute for A, B, and C.

No. It is not. No matter how many times you try and summarize it, that's not how natural selection, works.

I have no idea. Apparently 9/11 was natural selection, according to some really crap analogy.

That's a good question. I guess Manson was just doing his natural inclination to lessen the population, too. And ISIS is alright! Just "natural selection", baby.

No. It is not. No matter how many times you try and summarize it, that's not how natural selection, works.

That's a good question. I guess Manson was just doing his natural inclination to lessen the population, too. And ISIS is alright! Just "natural selection", baby.
How does natural selection work then?
Something being apart of natural selection doesn't mean it isn't also terrible at the same time. Terrorism, can be said to be apart of the way we natural have evolved as a society (humankind altogether). That doesn't mean people LIKE it.

I thought it was, though? Those that don't adapt die out and don't pass down their DNA, and those that have successfully figured out a way to counter the threat pass down their DNA.

Ventara

Oh no! Where will I get my Northern White Rhino leather clothes from now?! I guess I can switch to the Southern kind.

Poachers suck, and I'll never understand the people who pay them. What's so good about helping drive a species to extinction?

Oh no! Where will I get my Northern White Rhino leather clothes from now?! I guess I can switch to the Southern kind.

Poachers suck, and I'll never understand the people who pay them. What's so good about helping drive a species to extinction?

Your picture man, I don't know why, but it just causes me to crack up a lot. Kudos to you.

As for natural selection, aren't elephants beginning to develop shorter tusk to counter poaching?

People are dismissing it as 'natural selection' though. Basically it can't be helped because Rhinos haven't evolved Kevlar skin and guns for horns.

Stating it is technically natural selection does not mean I condone it. A human dying from disease is also natural selection, but I dislike when it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom