• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There are way too many prequels, sequels and remakes.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I thought it affected a lot of games, but it doesn't look much better for movies (Maybe even worse). So i had a look at already released and upcoming films for this year and it looks completely awful.

Movies for the year 2024:

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga
csm_fw47big_03_c827cd61fa.jpg

Godzilla × Kong: The New Empire
images

Beverly Hills Cop 4
cb53de508673d1ff2ca0ca9c9aca14a4.jpg

Dune: Part Two
Sinopsis-Dune-Part-2.jpg

A Quiet Place: Day One
MV5BNGZmODU3ZDEtMjQwZC00NTA5LThmNWYtYzk5MmY5ZmM4NGIxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

The Garfield Movie
images

Twisters
twisters-poster-663b97a67029f-1.jpg

Road House
road-house-2024

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice
hq720.jpg

Deadpool & Wolverine
220px-Deadpool_%26_Wolverine_poster.jpg

Inside Out 2
MV5BYTc1MDQ3NjAtOWEzMi00YzE1LWI2OWUtNjQ0OWJkMzI3MDhmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDM2NDM2MQ@@._V1_.jpg

Despicable Me 4
06-dm4-dm-mobile-banner-1080x745-now-rr-f01-062524-668591e542993-1.jpg

Mean Girls 2
Mean_girls_2024_poster.jpg

Bad boys 4
41dcd003a28d4e2abc8d2fb26d3c084c.jpg

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes
MV5BZGI4NTEwNTAtZDcwMi00MDkxLTg1OGYtNTZmMzE3ZDljNzVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTEyMjM2NDc2._V1_.jpg

Joker 2
imago0443169856h-e1712725356758.jpg

Gladiator 2
gladiator-2-poster-pc-games.webp

Venom: The Last Dance
Venom-3-The-Last-Dance.jpg

Sonic 3
rdoxrn0g21.jpg

Kung Fu Panda 4
image.jpg

Ghostbuster Frozen Empire
0776305.jpg

Nightwatch 2
5665421.jpg

The Crow (2024)
MV5BNTNhOTQ3YjMtZGZhNS00NTE0LWEzZGEtYWJhOTU0ZWQ5MTg2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_QL75_UX190_CR0,0,190,281_.jpg

Transformers One
34380170-transformers-one-qe9.jpg

Smile 2
Smile-2-draft-DE.jpg

Terrifier 3
images

Mufasa
images

Moana 2
images

Last edited:
Yeah. That's also what I usually watch at the cinema. Small movies are watched at home.
Ah, so your thread title and post was only in reference to projects with massive budgets. I was going to recommend some movies and threads here but nevermind, apologies.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Ah, so your thread title and post was only in reference to projects with massive budgets. I was going to recommend some movies and threads here but nevermind, apologies.
Absolutely no problem, I would also like to hear your recommendations. I also posted too early again. I hadn't finished the thread and accidentally hit publish.

Porcile

I wondering what title they are going to use for the inevitable Jaws soft reboot.

Jaw?
Jawses?
Jaws'?
JAWS?

Edit -

J^ws?! < looks like a shark fin

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Don’t really think movies like Dune fit up there considering the source material and it being a planned trilogy.

Might as well complain about TV shows existing.

Toons

I thought it affected a lot of games, but it doesn't look much better for movies (Maybe even worse). So i had a look at already released and upcoming films for this year and it looks completely awful.

Look at the highest grossing movies so far this year and you'll see why.

Fbh

I mean yeah the same logic as with games applies.

The average customer overwhelming prefers to spend their money/time on IP that's familiar to them instead of giving new ideas a chance.

Studios making high budget productions want to minimize risk as much as possible so they stick with known IP.

A 5/10 movie called Gladiator 2 is going to make more money than a 8/10 movie set in Rome that isn't attached to a known IP

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The generation that grew up with the absolute classics of cinema (and pretty much every other form of entertainment) now has the age, the clout and the money needed to make the fanfictions they made up as kids a reality. And nobody tells them they need to make new IPs, because there’s a huge market of people who grew up with those classics too, that would smell the rotten carcass of their favorite movies behind a mere “homage”, but simply cannot resist checking out if the latest Indiana Jones or Star Wars is finally as good as those from 30 or 40 years ago. Which invariably isn’t, because time is a bitch and trying to recapture the freshness of those originals is impossible. Plus, working within the constraints of an established IP inevitably limits your creativity, and modern writers aren’t that creative to begin with (because, again, they grew up making fanfictions and now they’ll much prefer tying their names to a shit Star Wars movie than to something new). And that’s before you even take into account modern “sensitivities”, “The Message”, etc.

YCoCg

Meanwhile A24 and the likes drop modern bangers yet they barely make back budget, be honest how many of their movies have you seen OP? You say it's an issue but even on this forum we seem more obsessed with talking about remakes and sequels than talking about new and original content.

When you've conditioned yourself to only highlight this stuff don't then wonder why it's only what you ever see.

Everyone likes to brag about how great the past is but that's because only the good stuff stands out, and why sequel 12 of some b-movie horror franchise is forgotten.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Meanwhile A24 and the likes drop modern bangers yet they barely make back budget, be honest how many of their movies have you seen OP? You say it's an issue but even on this forum we seem more obsessed with talking about remakes and sequels than talking about new and original content.

When you've conditioned yourself to only highlight this stuff don't then wonder why it's only what you ever see.

Everyone likes to brag about how great the past is but that's because only the good stuff stands out, and why sequel 12 of some b-movie horror franchise is forgotten.
I've seen a few of them, but I can't remember any that I really liked. I also find them completely overrated.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I've seen a few of them, but I can't remember any that I really liked. I also find them completely overrated.

Understandable

Hated

Spring Breakers
A Most Violent Year
Free Fire
A Ghost Story
The Disaster Artist
Hereditary
Men
Bodies Bodies Bodies
The Iron Claw

Liked

The Spectacular Now
Enemy
Locke
American Honey
The Blackcoat's Daughter
The Killing of A Sacred Deer
Uncut Gems
Lamb
Red Rocket
Everything Everywhere All At Once
Pearl
Beau Is Afraid
Talk To Me

Loved

Ex Machina
Room
The Witch
Green Room
Moonlight
20th Century Women
It Comes At Night
Lady Bird
First Reformed
Midsommer
The Farewell
The Lighthouse
Saint Maud
The Green Knight
X
Civil War

I haven't seen the rest of the A24 films I want to see yet

But whether I hate, love or like their films, they all tend to have a unique flavor to them. The film industry needs something like A24 since the rest tends to fall into the blockbuster category

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Like that old quote attributed to Henry Ford, "if I asked what customers wanted, they'd say they want a faster horse." It's not our job to figure out what new stuff we want to see. That's their job, and they are now bad at it. I think the main reason for this is the figurative death of the pop monoculture and the literal death of the boomer generation (boomers have been so dominant for so long taht everyone thought their tastes were basically permanent, but turns out they're not).

The thing about A24 was that it was started by a bunch of millennials, so no surprise it reflects the tastes of younger people and it makes films in a world it knows how to handle... while companies with old boomers still in charge (like, say, Bob Iger) are just trying to go back to old shit they know. And I am not saying this to knock boomers, I love boomers and a lot of boomer shit, just that there is a major disconnect here.

Last edited:

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
If they ever make a Back To The Future 4 i hope its about a paradox happening, the one that doc brown described. Time and events could get all wonky while the fabric of the space time continuum unravels, and they have to find a way to get everything back to normal. the descruction would of course be limited to our own galaxy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom