• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

There's a new Outrun2006 mod in town and it's awesome!

PSA: it's being reported that the game does not run over 60fps even when in-game FPS counters report it as being so. This may be a bug, but has not yet been acknowledged by the dev. Will update if/when issue gets resolved.
Update: https://github.com/emoose/OutRun2006Tweaks/issues/31#issuecomment-2211699586

Yeah sadly it's not a true framerate unlock, majority of the game code will still run at 60fps other than a couple effects like UI sprites / animated textures / shadowing / reflections.

Don't really think a true unlock would be that possible since most of the game loop is expecting to run every 16ms, and there's a lot of code counting time passed using raw frame counts rather than seconds, would be pretty difficult to retime those :/

The partial unlock does help a bit with load times & the reflection update rate, but not really sure if those are worth the extra power use, maybe should downplay the framerate stuff really.

It's called Outrun2006Tweaks and there a massive laundry list of improvements...

check it out:

Features​

Graphics:
  • UI can now scale to different aspect ratios without stretching (requires UIScalingMode = 1 in INI)
  • Game scene & UI textures can be dumped/replaced
  • Allows disabling vehicle LODs, reducing the ugly pop-in as they get closer
  • Fixed Z-buffer precision issues that caused heavy Z-fighting and distant object pop-in
  • Lens flare effect now loads from correct path without needing to change game files
  • Stage objects such as traffic cones now only disappear once they're actually off-screen
  • Fixes certain effects like engine backfiring which failed to appear when using controllers
  • Anisotropic filtering & transparency supersampling can be forced, greatly reducing aliasing around the edges of the track
  • Reflection rendering resolution can be increased from the default 128x128

Gameplay:
  • Built-in framelimiter to prevent speedups, framerate can be partially unlocked with game running at 60FPS internally
  • Restored XInput rumble code from the Xbox release, allowing gear shifts/drifts/crashes/etc to give feedback
  • Xbox Series impulse triggers are supported and can be tweaked inside INI

Bugfixes:
  • Prevents save corruption bug when remapping controls with many input devices connected
  • Fixed C2C ranking scoreboards not updating on Steam and other releases due to faulty anti-piracy checks
  • Pegasus animation's clopping sound effect will now end correctly
  • Text related to the now-defunct online service can be hidden
  • Automatically disables DPI scaling on the game window to fix scaling issues

Enhancements:
  • Game can now run in borderless windowed mode; mouse cursor will now be hidden while game is active
  • Load times heavily reduced by disabling framelimiter/vsync during load screens
  • Music can now be loaded from uncompressed WAV or lossless FLAC files, if they exist with the same filename
  • Allows intro splash screens to be skipped
  • Music track can be changed mid-race via Q and E buttons, or Back/RS+Back on controller (CDSwitcher must be enabled in INI first)

Last edited:
runs incredibly at 90fps on OLED steam deck

cFMFfZq.jpeg

Shame that arcade racing games basically died.
Yeah, big shame... no wonder much of modern games is a shambles. I used to spend $1000's per annum on games, and now I just play all (90%+) the old stuff and indies.

Have you tried Inertial Drift? It's a great modern take on the arcade racer genre.

Last edited:
This is honestly incredible running at 240fps. All the small enhancements like infinite LoD and hotplugging controllers.

I have applied ERSGAN 4x texture pack here also and enabled in game music track skipping.

The vibration of the elite 2 controller is insanely good. It’s honestly the first time i have experienced the impulse triggers and they feel amazing.

Truly definitive way to play to this game now. It feels like a full remaster.

What a time to be alive
AycpBxT.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the original on Steam Deck, but it doesn’t run very well at all on Steam Deck. I need to get this figured out so I can play it! Thanks for showing that it runs on Steam Deck.
I also had it on the OG Steam Deck and it ran perfectly fine for me. You sure you don't have the TDP turned down?

I have the original on Steam Deck, but it doesn’t run very well at all on Steam Deck. I need to get this figured out so I can play it! Thanks for showing that it runs on Steam Deck.
I just checked the TDP on my deck running this and it only needs 7w TDP limit to run a stable 90fps.

4OHFHNf.jpeg

It’ll drop below 90fps any lower:
8sguH07.jpeg

It’s generally a light weight game. The deck can run it easily with plenty of headroom to spare

nikos

This is running beautifully with the texture mods at 21:9 and 32:9! May try to get it to work with my wheel later. Forgot the Xbox controller's triggers even vibrate because nothing seems to take advantage of that on PC.

I'd like to get it on the Steam Deck as well. Did you install it as a non-steam game?

Ιs it?

I can't make it run above 60fps. It says it runs at 240fps if i use RTSS but my eyes say otherwise. And i play a ton of old games at 240fps, this is not running at 240 nor 120 fps. It's still locked at 60 fps.

you know, upon closer inspection, you might be right. I'm not discerning much difference between 240fps and 60fps even though Xbox Game Bar says it's 240fps and GPU (3080) usage goes from about 30% usage @ 60fps to around 80% usage at "240fps", but in reality, there is hardly any difference that I can notice. It honestly feels great at 60fps too and I think I was initially blown away by the superwide aspect ratio and I hadn't really spent much time with it.

It is very strange that RTSS and Xbox Gamebar would say 240fps, but it's actually just refreshing at 60fps... have you ever encountered something like this before? Where is the extra GPU usage going?

Last edited:

nkarafo

It is very strange that RTSS and Xbox Gamebar would say 240fps, but it's actually just refreshing at 60fps... have you ever encountered something like this before? Where is the extra GPU usage going?
I have seen RTSS reporting wrong frame rates or frame times before. Some games may have different internal timings than whatever they report, Sega Rally Revo was another one that i remember reporting 60fps but in reality running at 62 with terrible frame times. I think something similar happens here, the game internally runs at 60fps always but outputs different numbers depending on your settings. I don't know if this is a bug or intended, either way it sucks. The game was running at 60fps without this mod either way.

As for the extra usage i have no idea. Maybe the logic runs at a higher frame rate and the GPU wastes power for no reason. This has to be a bug.

Last edited:
Playing Coast to Coast on the 360 via XBLA completely baked and having the chick tell me how awesome I was getting AAA's in Heart Attack Mode is one of my favorite gaming memories.

Do they plan to get online working without LAN?

Last edited:
I have seen RTSS reporting wrong frame rates or frame times before. Some games may have different internal timings than whatever they report, Sega Rally Revo was another one that i remember reporting 60fps but in reality running at 62 with terrible frame times. I think something similar happens here, the game internally runs at 60fps always but outputs different numbers depending on your settings. I don't know if this is a bug or intended, either way it sucks. The game was running at 60fps without this mod either way.

As for the extra usage i have no idea. Maybe the logic runs at a higher frame rate and the GPU wastes power for no reason. This has to be a bug.
Thanks for the input. I'm just limiting the framerate to 60 for the moment to save on power consumption.

I hope it get resolved soon. Will update OP when it does.

Tarin02543

This is truly fantastic, runs absolutely great

I just use Lossless Scaling to bring framerate up to 180 without using the buggy hack

BTW, Sega Rally Revo also has an abandoned Windows build where somebody gave it the same quality treatment as this. Look it up and enjoy Sega Rally with unlimited framerate!

Last edited:
Sadly it's not a true framerate unlock. Oh well, in some respects it did seem too good to be true.

It's still amazing work though and still absolutely my preferred way to play.

Yeah sadly it's not a true framerate unlock, majority of the game code will still run at 60fps other than a couple effects like UI sprites / animated textures / shadowing / reflections.

Don't really think a true unlock would be that possible since most of the game loop is expecting to run every 16ms, and there's a lot of code counting time passed using raw frame counts rather than seconds, would be pretty difficult to retime those :/

The partial unlock does help a bit with load times & the reflection update rate, but not really sure if those are worth the extra power use, maybe should downplay the framerate stuff really.

yurinka

Sega should make Out Run 3, remastering this game to add modern RT visuals with up to native 4K 120fps option and adding the routes and cars from the entire OutRun game series.

nkarafo

I'm so disappointed by the frame rate news update. The author shouldn't have promoted it like that. Really soured my excitement about the other improvements on this mod.

nkarafo

BTW, Sega Rally Revo also has an abandoned Windows build where somebody gave it the same quality treatment as this. Look it up and enjoy Sega Rally with unlimited framerate!
Could you share more details? I haven't seen anything new in PCWiki. The game still suffers from bad internal frame pacing that was never fixed for many years.

Leonidas

Skipping the splash screens and improved load times were nice updates.

I wonder if its possible for someone to mod in ray tracing effects, could this game be RTX remixed?

I'm so disappointed by the frame rate news update. The author shouldn't have promoted it like that. Really soured my excitement about the other improvements on this mod.
I feel ya bro... we are not there yet at the promised land, but I'm trying to keep the faith. It's exciting that this game is getting the care it deserves from the community and the more attention brought upon this the more chance of something being done to unlock the full potential of this game.

We might need a full decompilation of the code base before the rendering can be decoupled from the physics. Unfortuntely, this is horrendously difficult work and I don't know if anyone will have appetite to take it on, or whether it's even possible. I don't think trying to patch the timings it's going to work out too well... modders have been trying to years on Split/Second and it hasn't worked out, although that game seems a lot more complex in the physics department.

Anyway. stay positive. 60FPS ain't that bad. Sucks about the bait & switch, but what can ya do.

Sega should make Out Run 3, remastering this game to add modern RT visuals with up to native 4K 120fps option and adding the routes and cars from the entire OutRun game series.
For years people said it was due to them losing the Ferrari license. Dunno how true that is. Personally, I'd be fine with the same gameplay and just similar looking wish dot com vehicles without the brand names if it meant we get a new Outrun.

Quasicat

When I first worked on getting this setup on the SteamDeck, my desktop mode completely flipped upside down. Every time I would load it up it would flip the screen. I finally figured it out and it runs like a dream. Now I need to get the artwork setup!

I've been having a shit ton of fun with Trail Out.

It's definitely jank but after upgrading a bit the cars handle really fun like. Tons of destruction, modes, lots of content.
There's two things in Outrun 2 that really make it extra fun -- the slipstream/draft feature that give you a speed boost to pass opponents in front of you and the speed boost you attain from drifting. They are incredibly simple features that are beginner friendly and wildly fun to pull off.

I have yet to find a racing game that clones these features with the arcade gameplay of Outrun, please let me know if Trail Out supports these things.

Last edited:

Quasicat

does anyone play with the Ps5 controller? I'm having a hard time with mapping the buttons
I had to get a little creative on getting all of the buttons the way I like it on my Xbox controller. I went into my settings and bound the enter button to the right bumper. This way I could free up the A button for the accelerator and the X button for the brake. Not perfect, but I can now play on the TV.

Top Bottom