• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

think ps1 games could work with ai to increase graphics?

kiphalfton

Honestly after seeing the SH2 mod, it's okay but the original pixelated look has charm to it.

Even low res environmental textures, when "fixed", look weird relative to the rest of the game as everything is blocky.

gif.gif

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Im sure raytracing remix can be improved with AI and we already have a lot of texture mods and graphic enhancements that used AI such as a lot of HL2 texture mods and a recent example would be the Broken Sword that uses AI to enhance the sprites.

a6f787539fd531266de0fc9bebf1af90_original.gif

sigmaZ

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That looks pretty good except for the out of battle character models. Made me go on youtube and see what's out there.
I really like the Satsuki Yatoshi Mod. It doesn't lose the character of the original but makes everything high def.
There are mods to change the out of battle characters too.

Eimran

I don't have enough knowledge about it.

But having used Topaz Photo, Topaz Video and various prompt to video AI tools, it wouldn't surprise me

Holammer

Depends on how much AI we're talking about.
I expect game graphics to get to a point within 8 to 12 years where the game renders a weird looking multilayered framework image looking like a PS2 game and passes it thought an AI model trained for the game to spit out a photo realistic rendition.
Heck, AI can now render pretty accurate looking real-time Doom gameplay at 20fps with surprisingly good temporal stability and without the actual game.

Could you use it for PS1 games? Absolutely, some games will probably work better than others. Kula world for example would be easy and probably look pretty good. Other games could use a helping hands by feeding it style guides because the enemies are way too low-poly and abstract.

Reactions: amc

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I saw something other day where one of the AI programs recreated Doom, after being exposed to it.

So I don’t doubt it, and I think it’s going to make mods even wilder.

Hopefully. Ai could add pixels and remaster old fmv cutscenes and spruce up pregrendered background. A lot of the old fmv cutscenes are rendered in very low resolution as the hardware at the time couldn't even play a full resolution video, yet alone render it. So you see sub 320x240 resolution videos stretched at low frames. (want to see really bad check out some of the old tg16-cd/sega cd games. 16bit consoles fmv look dreadful today).

As far as actual 3d models. That needs to stay the same but you can definitely upscale and apply anti alaising and texture filtering (things thr ps1 couldn't do but are done in emulators.)

I say not to mess with the 3d models as you don't want to loose the ps1 graphics charm. Mega man legends, Vagrant story, legacy of kain are iconic 3d games.

Now if you want to make a remasters version and redo everything awesome, just do it like tomb raider trilogy remastered where there is a toggle switch between original art and new.

Last edited:

RaduN

Buy still woking on real hardware, right? Because otherwise you can juat apply an infinite number of shaders/enhancements/whatever AI and it'll surely be outstanding.

Holammer

Posted just a few hours ago and relevant to this discussion. It's obviously not real-time rendering, but one day it will be and look better to boot.

Top Bottom