• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This Gen's Underappreciated

olimario

Banned
pn03-logo.gif

One of the most fun shooters I've played. It was an incredibly immersive game with a fantastic soundtrack, unique style, and graphics good enough to make that style shine.
It's a gem of a game I can't imagine not owning. I wish more people would try it.

MP3s
Level 2
Level 6

MOVIES
Video 01
Video 02

gcn-pn03-01.jpg

gcn-pn03-02.jpg

Post games you find underappreciated. I'm sure theres some gunvalkyrie or ikaruga love around here somewhere.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Metal Arms - Glitch in the System
Freedom Fighters
Beyond Good & Evil

*cough*P.N.03 sucked*cough*

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Halo!

Nah, just kidding. ;)
Metroid Prime!

OK, I'll be serious this time.
Klonoa 2, Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, Gitaroo-man, Shadow of Memories/Shadow of Destiny, Project Zero/Fatal Frame.

EDIT: Gah, how could I forget:

Kuru Kuru Kururin and Kururin Paradise!

Primal is the main one for me. Great story, characters, graphics, puzzles and music. It's battle system was off (although I liked the 3rd and 4th worlds in that aspect) but it was fine since you didn't fight much. I loved the game and hope Cambridge is working on the sequel.

Other than that i'll go with Stuntman. It had bad loading times and was pretty difficult. But it was just so much fun, especially when you got everything going right.

Matlock

Banned
*coughMejilansucksathumorcough*

Seriously, folks, Psi-Ops (with an astoundingly low sales tally) is probably the best game that nobody bought.

AniHawk

I vote for Golden Sun: The Lost Age and Shenmue II (DC). Both games which improved on the originals in every single way and then some.

GhaleonEB

Toejam and Earl III: Mission to Earth. It's quirky as hell, but it also is fun, funny and simply huge in scope. I never got tired of giving those unfunky cowboys strumming twang on their guitars an afro.

Mr Driller Drill Land.

It was even underappreciated by the Japanese, who supposedly eat that shit up. It's seriously one of the best games I've played in recent years. If you have passed on the game or have simply never heard of it, or discounted it because you thought it looked lame, you're part of the problem. Or perhaps you've played the Dreamcast version and feel like you've already seen it all. Little do you know that Mr Driller for DC is practically a demo disc for Drill Land, which completely blows the doors off with its 5 unique gameplay modes, 4-player race and battle modes, and tons of rad unlockables. Oh, perhaps best of all, it has one of the most brilliant soundtracks you will ever hear in a game. We're talking Katamari-good - in fact, when Katamari Damacy first came out, several GAFers immediately compared the music to Drill Land. That's powerful stuff!

Hey, if you guys can make me give Buffy a look, I should be able to pique your interest in one of the best puzzle games ever, eh? It's pretty cheap, to boot!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i like almost all the games listed in this thread. but i especially like gitaroo man, and it's especially underappreciated. i think it's the best instance yet of the character driven music game. terrific and eclectic music, and the flamenco stage in particular is one of my favorite game moments ever. here's hoping koei finds room for a sequel amid all the dynasty warriors milkage.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
bobbyconover said:
Mr Driller Drill Land.

It was even underappreciated by the Japanese, who supposedly eat that shit up. It's seriously one of the best games I've played in recent years. If you have passed on the game or have simply never heard of it, or discounted it because you thought it looked lame, you're part of the problem. Or perhaps you've played the Dreamcast version and feel like you've already seen it all. Little do you know that Mr Driller for DC is practically a demo disc for Drill Land, which completely blows the doors off with its 5 unique gameplay modes, 4-player race and battle modes, and tons of rad unlockables. Oh, perhaps best of all, it has one of the most brilliant soundtracks you will ever hear in a game. We're talking Katamari-good - in fact, when Katamari Damacy first came out, several GAFers immediately compared the music to Drill Land. That's powerful stuff!

Hey, if you guys can make me give Buffy a look, I should be able to pique your interest in one of the best puzzle games ever, eh? It's pretty cheap, to boot!
Uhhh... I've been wanting a Mr Driller game for a long time. I didn't even know about this until you mentioned it, and now after looking around as far as I can tell it's an import-only. Thanks for getting my hopes up over nothing :(

Dice said:
Uhhh... I've been wanting a Mr Driller game for a long time. I didn't even know about this until you mentioned it, and now after looking around as far as I can tell it's an import-only. Thanks for getting my hopes up over nothing :(

If you send me your Gamecube and pay for return postage, I'll mod it for free. I'm not kidding. I'll do just about anything to spread the Drill Land love.

Also, the game goes regularly for $30-ish on eBay, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Gruco

Banned
AniHawk said:
I vote for Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Seconded. Gets a lot of (deserved) flak for the story, but not nearly enough recognition for the great dungeons and class system.

Also nod to Wild Arms 3 and Grandia Xtreme, which are consitently overlooked but still the best 2 RPGS on the PS2 IMO......

Worms 3D

The multiplayer is so damn fun. And to those who have trouble aiming weapons in 3D, how the hell do you throw a baseball? The game seems to be overlooked by gamers and casuals alike, a damn shame.

jett

D-Member
Wave Race: BLUE STORM. It's better than Wave Race 64, accept it biznitches.

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. Aww, the wee little babies didn't get another SotN clone. Well screw you people, this game rocks. It has some really nice graphics/music too.

Manhunt: Best stealth game I've played yet, and the shoot-out portions are great too. BANG BANG! Haters, die!

Forgot about one...

Fatal Frame II: Tecmo destroys Konami at their game(nevermind Capcom...). Incredibly innovative gameplay mechanics for a horror game. It not only makes it more fun that any other game in the genre but it also adds a lot to the "fear effect"(no relation to the psx game). Looks great, too. Silent Hill lovers, shove it.

BoF: DQ and Space Channel 5: Special Edition. Easily.

The former has the gameplay of the generation and the second the soundtrack. If only they could be mashed together and then the world would finally have the perfect game.

***Note: only if they used SC5 Part 1 English Fuse.

RiZ III

Drakan 2 aka one of the best adventure games

drakan2.jpg

drakan5.jpg
drakan21b.jpg

2.jpg

draken-2.jpg

This game looks really horrible in screenshots but when you acually play it and fly around the huge environments, its awsome. The shadows are really well done and the textures aren't bad either. The game runs extremly smooth. Theres hidden ogre camps and caves all over the place. The music was great too.

Teddman

Porthos said:
Sega Soccer Slam
Damn right. I played through about a dozen cases of beer on that game along with a couple friends; the co-op Quest mode was great multiplayer fun.

And add another vote for Metal Arms! Best third-person shooter of all time.

Finally, Disney Golf on PS2 was a nice kiddified version of Hot Shots that you never see anyone talk about. A little on the easy side, but good courses, nice graphics and control.

SA-X

The first Red Faction. It had fantastic atmosphere and the geo-mod technology was used perfectly. Too bad THQ tried to clone Halo (unsuccessfully) and completely ruined everything with Red Faction 2. :(

Top Bottom