• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Announces new WWE Legends Video Game

http://www.top-rope.com/trc.php?id=news/headlines/212116221.html

THQ Announces New WWE Legends Video Game

Prepare to Relive, Rewrite or Redefine History with WWE(R) Legends of WrestleMania(R)

AGOURA HILLS, Calif. - (Business Wire) THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI) and JAKKS Pacific, Inc. (NASDAQ:JAKK) today announced that WWE® Legends of WrestleMania® is currently in development for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. Joining the distinguished WWE® SmackDown®/SmackDown vs. Raw® franchise, which has shipped more than 37 million units worldwide since 2000, WWE Legends of WrestleMania is scheduled for release in March 2009 to coincide with the annual pinnacle of sports entertainment, WrestleMania® 25, in Houston, Texas.

"We have generated significant year-over-year growth in key global territories with WWE-licensed videogames, including tremendous success with the WWE SmackDown vs. Raw franchise," said Peter Matiss, vice president, global brand management, THQ. "The development capabilities afforded by next generation hardware, combined with our established history and deep understanding of fighting videogames, allow us to leverage the strength of the WWE brand to further extend our leadership in the fighting videogame genre and bring this new property to market."

"JAKKS Pacific is pleased to introduce a new WWE videogame property to the fighting genre," said Nelo Lucich, senior vice president of interactive, JAKKS Pacific. "The WWE SmackDown vs. Raw franchise has captured a collective audience of WWE fans, game enthusiasts and casual players, and we are confident that WWE Legends of WrestleMania will be poised for great success."

So they're making another Smackdown with a different roster? And weren't legends like secret characters in the Smackdown games?

RBH

It's a good concept, but we've seen it attempted (and failed) with the Legends of Wrestling games, and I have a bad feeling that they're just going to copy-and-paste the shitty Smackdown engine into this game.

This thread reminds me of the only wrestling game I ever had fun with, WCW/NWO Revenge on the N64. If that got released on some "Classics" compilation, I'd probably pick it up. The multiplayer was fun as hell.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
alr1ghtstart said:
How about you release that "legend" No Mercy/Wrestlemania 2000?

+1

They're sitting on a goldmine with that one.

Dama said:
yey or uh oh?

dfhxqu.gif

RBH

Kafel said:
I want to buy a wrestling game on 360, what's the best game out ?
I feel that Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 is the best one on 360 right now, but you probably want to wait for TNA Impact when it's released in September to see how that turns out.

Fatalah

Wouldn't it be just amazing if THQ contacted AKI for this game?! What's the skinny? Why does Yukes need to overused by THQ?

Backflip

I hope they'll get the Ultimate Warrior to agree to be in the game. They better put together a better roster than the one we got in the latest Smackdown vs Raw game.

That being said, I've been playing No Mercy recently and it's still awesome.

Striker

Kafel said:
Smackdown vs. Raw 2008 is fun (new play styles, hidden stamina, ability to light items on fire, more match types) but so is Smackdown vs. Raw 2007 (bigger roster, stamina meter visible, bigger move-set it seems).

TNA Wrestling has one coming out soon, and Smackdown vs. Raw 2009 will come out in November. That has a co-op for Season Mode. Plus it's suppose to have a ton of other features, and I read they are putting out a huge roster.

The last part I'll hold my breath for, but the tag team co-op for Season Mode will be certainly fun.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Yes! I know a lot of wrestling snobs hate Yuke's but I've always enjoyed the Smackdown games as a nice balance between arcade and sim style (mostly arcadey). I've long believed a game based on WWE legends would be flat out awesome, with gimmicks and storylines from the 80's and 90's. I hope it has Gangrel/ The Brood and Macho Man and Steamboat for pete's sake.

J-Rzez

I wish for the love of god these people would go back to the style that were the N64 wrestling games. Those were the pinnacle in my opinion, and everything after that has been trash.

Guy Legend

Kafel said:

Wait for TNA Impact coming next month I believe. The early previews and hands on impressions have been very favorable. The makers of the game have talked a lot about being fans of the N64 No Mercy/Revenge games, so I'm optimistic this will turn out well.

Let's start the wishlist of wrestlers;

Sting
Lex Luger
Hulk Hogan
Andre The Giant
Scott Hall
Kevin Nash
Goldberg
Sean Waltman
Iron Shiek
Barry Windham
Brutus Beefcake
Paul Orndorff
King Kong Bundy
Ultimate Warrior
Ricky Steamboat
Randy Savage
Bret Hart
Roddy Piper
Sid Vicious
Jimmy Snuka
Abdullah The Butcher
Bam Bam Bigelow
British Bulldog
Dynamite Kid
Terry Funk
Eddie Gilbert
Billy Graham
Eddie Guerrero
Owen Hart
Koko B. Ware
Rick Martel
Kamala
Bob Orton
Brian Pillman
Ted Dibiase
Animal
Hawk
Tito Santana
George The Animal
Rick Steiner
Scott Steiner
Big John Studd
Kerry Von Erich
Kevin Von Erich
Dr. Death Steve Williams
Jake The Snake Roberts
Billy Jack Haynes
Arn Anderson
Curt Henning
Bruiser Brody
Junkyard Dog
Dusty Rhodes
Diamond Dallas Page

Dark Ninja said:
This better have Benoit in it
Not gonna happen.
Ever.
No fucking way.

He never existed... who's Chris Benoit? Oh yeah, that guy who MURDERED HIS FAMILY!

As far as the game, it took them long enough dammit! An all Legends game can work, especially considering the roster pool they can pull from.

As flawed as it was the first Legends of Wrestling was fun just because of all the guy that were in it.

Guy Legend said:
Wait for TNA Impact coming next month I believe. The early previews and hands on impressions have been very favorable. The makers of the game have talked a lot about being fans of the N64 No Mercy/Revenge games, so I'm optimistic this will turn out well.
September.
Aj styles and Samoa Joe are advisors/producers on this game. Both are AVID gamefans (I know Joe is for a fact... i have King of Colosseum 2 signed by him). Numerous gameplay tweaks have already been done and more are coming

Kafel said:
thx guys, I might wait for the TNA game

I am doing the same. I can't believe I am putting my faith in Midway to come up with something good, but THQ have being so piss poor there really is no other choice!

Z_Y

J-Rzez said:
I wish for the love of god these people would go back to the style that were the N64 wrestling games. Those were the pinnacle in my opinion, and everything after that has been trash.

I remember playing WM2000 when the N64 was in its death throes and thinking to myself..."Self...wrestling games are going to be flat out out awesome on the Dreamcast, Playstation 2, and Dolphin. They'll probably have like 16 man Battle Royales!!!"

Soooo naive....

lupinko

Fatalah said:
Wouldn't it be just amazing if THQ contacted AKI for this game?! What's the skinny? Why does Yukes need to overused by THQ?

For the last time there is more no Aki.

Only Syn Sophia now.

Chrange

Banned
If they're just taking the legends out of Smackdown vs Raw and putting them into their own game, with the same engine, there should be an ungodly backlash over this. What would they do next - WWE TAG TEAM DIVISON, the standalone game?

Aladuf23 said:
Good luck with that, the TNA game looks like it's gonna suck more ass then the SvR series.

Hardly. When I saw it during Wrestlemania weekend it already was playing really well.

Aladuf

Banned
Chrange said:
Hardly. When I saw it during Wrestlemania weekend it already was playing really well.

When I saw that gameplay footage whenever it came out it looked like a mess to me. Everything looked too stiff.

Chrange

Banned
*shrug* I got to go hands-on with it, and it felt pretty good. Obviously there's some time to go though. Some wrestlers didn't have movesets complete, etc...

What there was though, that was enough to impress someone growing tired of Smackdown vs Raw's continually recycled gameplay. It flowed really well and the submission system is a decent touch. I like that you can get good counter sequences going, something that happens pretty rarely in SvR.

Aladuf

Banned
Chrange said:
*shrug* I got to go hands-on with it, and it felt pretty good. Obviously there's some time to go though. Some wrestlers didn't have movesets complete, etc...

What there was though, that was enough to impress someone growing tired of Smackdown vs Raw's continually recycled gameplay. It flowed really well and the submission system is a decent touch. I like that you can get good counter sequences going, something that happens pretty rarely in SvR.

That's always a bonus... SvR is a joke with their lack of wanting to change anything with it. They go and flaunt how they've added that tag team mode now but what else? Nothing to make the game worth buying IMO.

But I hope that Impact ends up being far better than the SvR games because those guys who make SvR need some motivation to get their shit straight and make a decent game for once.

quest

Not Banned from OT
alr1ghtstart said:
How about you release that "legend" No Mercy/Wrestlemania 2000?

QFT

Going on a decade later and they still don't know how to make a decent wrestling game.

While people like to point to the Madden/NFL 2K example of how the gaming public was done a disservice (and rightfully so), there is no greater example than AKI not making the WWE games. Imagine what kind of amazing shit we could have been playing for all these years and up until now. So sad.

Fatalah

Stoney Mason said:
While people like to point to the Madden/NFL 2K example of how the gaming public was done a disservice (and rightfully so), there is no greater example than AKI not making the WWE games. Imagine what kind of amazing shit we could have been playing for all these years and up until now. So sad.

How could there be no important decision-making person here on GAF that can do the right thing and resurrect AKI?

"Bring back AKI" is practically this board's mantra.

Top Bottom