• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ Signs Juiced

Seems Take Two and EA lost out to THQ.

http://www.nynewsday.com/business/ny-bzaklm073997294oct07,0,134421.story

October 7, 2004

A federal bankruptcy judge last night approved a tentative agreement to allow bankrupt Acclaim Entertainment to sell the rights of its anticipated street racing game "Juiced" to California video game publisher THQ. The deal is worth up to $10.5 million.

In federal bankruptcy court in Central Islip, Judge Stan Bernstein turned down a request by Electronic Arts, the world's largest game maker, to bid, telling the company it was too late.

Instead of releasing the game right away for the Christmas season, THQ, which paid $500,000 more than an earlier bid, agreed to continue developing it to eliminate some technical problems.

Also attending the bankruptcy was former chairman and co-founder Gregory Fischbach, who declined to comment.

About two weeks ago, after filing for bankruptcy and laying off 600 people, Glen Cove- based Acclaim tentatively agreed to sell the publishing rights to Juiced to Manhattan-based Take-Two Interactive Software in a deal worth up to $10 million. Take-Two would have paid $8.125 million for the rights and up to $1.875 million in royalties, subject to the game meeting certain sales levels.

The deal was supposed to be completed last week, but since the filing, other parties have objected. Under the deal, $4.5 million would go to Scotland-based Fund4Games, which financed development of "Juiced" and said it never received payment from Acclaim. Fund4Games, though, said it's owed more than that, and that it should be entitled to royalties. Other objections were on the grounds that other companies should be given more time to review the game and make competing bids.

Acclaim filed for Chapter 7 liquidation Sept. 1. The company had assets of $189.2 million and debt of $58.7 million, according to its financial schedules, filed in bankruptcy court on Tuesday. Secured claims against the company total $18.5 million, according to the same filing.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I wonder why in the hell did EA bid on this? THQ is going to continue to work on it? That's good, maybe they can tighen up the physics engine. I'd heard it's a bit floaty and that the crashes are VERY unrealistic.

Brannon

This is good news, only because it brings a spark of hope that they ARE selling off their games to other companies so they can get released.

The Red Star shall shine brightly in my room after all.... I hope.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
MassiveAttack said:
The deal was supposed to be completed last week, but since the filing, other parties have objected. Under the deal, $4.5 million would go to Scotland-based Fund4Games, which financed development of "Juiced" and said it never received payment from Acclaim. Fund4Games, though, said it's owed more than that, and that it should be entitled to royalties.
And this just proves that you don't mess with the Scottish Games Alliance!

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
DarienA said:
I wonder why in the hell did EA bid on this? THQ is going to continue to work on it? That's good, maybe they can tighen up the physics engine. I'd heard it's a bit floaty and that the crashes are VERY unrealistic.

Probably just trying to boost the price for the competition.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
I wonder who's gonna pick up Red Star. Hopefully it's Midway or some other company that will get it out the door quickly.

Official PR from THQ:

CALABASAS HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct. 8, 2004--THQ® Inc. (Nasdaq:THQI - News) today announced exclusive worldwide publishing rights to the "Juiced" franchise, the highly anticipated street racing property by Juice Games. THQ submitted the winning bid for the property, which was approved on October 6, 2004, by an order of the U.S. bankruptcy judge overseeing the Chapter 7 bankruptcy proceedings of Acclaim Entertainment. Acclaim Entertainment had previously held the rights to the "Juiced" property. Subject to final contract and certain closing conditions, THQ plans to release "Juiced" for the PlayStation® 2 computer entertainment system, the Xbox® videogame system from Microsoft and PC in summer 2005.

"We are very excited to have secured the rights to this strategic, highly sought after intellectual property," said Jack Sorensen, executive vice president of worldwide studios, THQ. "The team is off to a great start and now has the time to build `Juiced' into one of the premier brands in street racing."

Early critical praise for "Juiced" includes:

"`Juiced' has just as many options, goodies, and features as the highest-profile driving games do and, in several other ways, outperforms." -- PSM, November 2004

"Racing fans have a lot to look forward to with `Juiced.' The racing is great, with extremely realistic physics, intelligent opponent AI, and controllable teammates. All of the cars are well represented, as well, and the game looks as good as any other racer in the foreseeable future. You've just gotta respect that." -- gamespy.com

I feel a glut of street racing titles:

Q3 2004: SRS

Q4 2004: NFSU 2

Q1 2005: MC 3: DUB

Q2 2005: Juiced

DJ Brannon said:
This is good news, only because it brings a spark of hope that they ARE selling off their games to other companies so they can get released.

The Red Star shall shine brightly in my room after all.... I hope.
lol

Top Bottom