• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tidal, lossless Spotify competitor launches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenex

I got 5/5 but I do listen to FLAC when I can (most of my iTines Library is ALAC and songs that aren't I have the best version I can get). From a business POV, the average consumer wouldn't even notice the difference/won't have the equipment to hear the difference and therefore I find it highly unlikely they'll pay double the price. TIDAL may end up crashing.

Google

I got 5/5 but I do listen to FLAC when I can (most of my iTines Library is ALAC and songs that aren't I have the best version I can get). From a business POV, the average consumer wouldn't even notice the difference/won't have the equipment to hear the difference and therefore I find it highly unlikely they'll pay double the price. TIDAL may end up crashing.

One assumes that Tidal's average consumer will have the equipment and thus is willing to pay a premium.

Xenex

One assumes that Tidal's average consumer will have the equipment and thus is willing to pay a premium.

Maybe I should have said the average Tom, Dick and Harry rather than consumer as obviously those who sign up to TIDAL will most likely have the equipment...but I have a feeling you know what I meant.

Google

but I have a feeling you know what I meant.

I got your point, but it's a weird argument to make assuming that Tidal is looking to compete directly with Spotify/RDIO/et-all.

It's quite obvious they've identified a specific gap/niche and they're targeting it with their 'premium' service.

Whether it works is a different matter but comparing it to the 'average' consumer is not apples-to-apples.

Jzero

$20 per month is not much if you think about how much audiophiles spend on cables alone.

I'll stick with my Spotify $5 student plan though.

Xenex

I got your point, but it's a weird argument to make assuming that Tidal is looking to compete directly with Spotify/RDIO/et-all.

It's quite obvious they've identified a specific gap/niche and they're targeting it with their 'premium' service.

Whether it works is a different matter but comparing it to the 'average' consumer is not apples-to-apples.

I don't think it's that weird to compare the 2 as they are essentially the same product, it's just that each service offer a different bitrate. I know where you're coming from, like Lambos and Fiestas are both cars but not in competition, but I think the gap between TIDAL and Spotify is much much smaller than that. As an Audiophile myself, I like owning my music so I can have the content actually on my phone for 2 reasons: I don't want to rely on my internet connection and, like others have said, streaming lossless quality would eat away my data plan. So I ask myself, would I use this service? No. So have they identified a niche or just made one up in the hope of being successful?

Edit: I wish them the best though.

4/5 using Sony MDR-ED21 earbuds lol.I got songs from The Killers, James Blake, Daft Punk, Eagles, and Dixie Chicks. I got the Eagles - Hotel California wrong.. but maybe because it's an older recording?

hidys

TBH I've never been able to tell the difference between 320 mp3 and FLAC.

Still though I'm glad this exists for people who are into this stuff.

I guess I'll try the test.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Cost is too high for a difference I barely notice.

3/5, meh. I'm still looking for a subscription service for like $5 a month. Hopefully Apple makes that happen in 2015.

If you have a .edu email Spotify gives you a discounted rate of $5 per month.

Probability you'll get x/5 right by blind guessing in an A/B test:
5/5: 3%
4/5: 15%
3/5: 31%
2/5: 31%
1/5: 15%
0/5: 3%

Probability you'll get at least 3 right by blind guessing in an A/B test: 50%
Probability you'll get between 2 and 4 right by blind guessing: 77%

What you actually want is a test of 10 samples, and it'll be significant at p<0.05 if you get 8, 9, or 10 right.

Heh someone else thought the same thing too:
http://abx.digitalfeed.net/ (same test as the OP, but actually done better)

I couldn't tell the difference between the two sources at all with my headphones. Of course, they aren't super high end.

So, i guess my question is, why should i get this service if none of MY equipment is going to compliment the material? Sure, you could argue that this service is exclusively for people with high end speakers and such, but i don't believe there's enough of those people out there to keep a service like this afloat. Also, datacaps.

I couldn't tell the difference between the two sources at all with my headphones. Of course, they aren't super high end.

So, i guess my question is, why should i get this service if none of MY equipment is going to compliment the material? Sure, you could argue that this service is exclusively for people with high end speakers and such, but i don't believe there's enough of those people out there to keep a service like this afloat. Also, datacaps.
You definitely shouldnt get it unless you have a dedicated dac/amp and headphone combo that can take advantage of it for sure.

R1CHO

Sounds like shit to me.

I tried with opera and chrome, something wrong is happening.

Spotify sounds much better, more clear, I heard weird background noises on this test, also kind of stuttering...

I have one of those cheap Superlux HD668B that are supposedly good.

Got 4 out of 5, the one I missed was a EDM Daft Punk song. You can clearly hear/feel the difference with a raw voice and real instruments but not with EDM.

Btw I got a Sennheiser HD555 foam mod and Steelseries 5HV2 usb soundcard.

Def will do the trial :) .

Never understood this "Lossness" of sound malarky.

So is FLAC better sound quality that your average MP3/CD quality?

I only listen to music though my mac speakers or ipod headphones. Am i missing out on the party?

Skyzard

Banned
It doesn't seem to work when you just switch between them, you have to wait for it to finish.

From what my ears are telling me anyway :p

--hm it's switching now okay for me. :S

Barely tell the difference for some of these.

320 is decent.

Never understood this "Lossness" of sound malarky.

So is FLAC better sound quality that your average MP3/CD quality?

I only listen to music though my mac speakers or ipod headphones. Am i missing out on the party?

Yeah. FLAC is a "lossless" audio format. MP3 is the standard because the file size is much more accommodating and the sound quality is typically pretty decent. FLAC is of a higher quality, but the file size is also much larger.

You aren't really missing out on much, IMO. Mp3's are fine.

Blizzard

Banned
I can hear nothing at all in Firefox, and IE11 isn't supported. I don't have Chrome installed to try that.

*edit* Impressive. The site has apparently managed to break ALL audio in my system from any source. Game, web browser, audio control panel, doesn't matter. Unplugging and replugging my headphones doesn't fix it either.

Coreda

Couldn't care less about FLAC quality for streaming. Defeats the purpose of streaming imo, considering how good lossy bitrates have proven to be transparent to many audiophiles in public listening tests, despite claims otherwise.

What I'm interested in is a service with a large library of FLAC downloads. That I'd like, as nowhere offers a range that covers most popular releases, which means many albums have to be purchased as CDs to rip.

Skyzard

Banned
4/5 but I couldn't hear any difference.

Lol.

I got 3/5 but really had to push myself to notice a difference with a few.

Seems like 320 is great tbh. Sometimes I could swear it sounded punchier with the bass too, even though they said it would be otherwise.

It's too long really, you aren't listening to the same piece side by side, -you can't just quickly rewind or reset it to listen to the same exact piece.

You have to story the tiny quality difference in your mind till the next play.

So basically now I feel insulted and also don't care for your service. :p

Blizzard

Banned
I tried it again after closing a game I had paused in the background in case that was causing problems.

Once again it played nothing and killed all audio on my system from any source until Firefox was closed. How bizarre. :(

Rektash

5/5. using HD800s. I'm not paying $20pm though

So what you are saying is, you are willing to pay a grand for headphones but don't want to pay 20$ a month to listen to lossless music on them. Gotcha.
Yes, the price is too high. But coming from someone who has audio equipment worth thousands of dollars this just sounds wrong.

5/5 with DT880s and a Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard btw. Upper middle class audio equipment I guess. Didn't expect this though, since I can't hear anything above 14-15khz.

No Love

Banned
I have a great DAC and incredible headphones + studio monitors so this is like a dream come fucking true for me!!!!!! So fucking excited. Signing up now :D

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I couldn't tell the difference at all but when i use FLAC files i have on my HD instead of streaming the difference is clear :/

So what you are saying is, you are willing to pay a grand for headphones but don't want to pay 20$ a month to listen to lossless music on them. Gotcha.
Yes, the price is too high. But coming from someone who has audio equipment worth thousands of dollars this just sounds wrong.

5/5 with DT880s and a Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard btw. Upper middle class audio equipment I guess. Didn't expect this though, since I can't hear anything above 14-15khz.

Nah not that. I have a huge collection of CD's, SACDs and digital - so i dont really need to join. I didnt join spotify for the same reason.

Skyzard

Banned
I tried again and still could barely tell.

I'm going to put it down to my sound card making everything sound great :p

(Grado RS2 + Asus Xonar Essence STX II)

Guess I should throw it in the trash and get out my apple earbuds.

i think the daft punk one was the hardest to tell. The dixie chicks and eagles ones i could tell much easier because i have those files in very high def recording format. The daft punk one was just a guess for me as they both sounded very similar.

(HD800s w Centrance DACMini)

When my new system arrives tonight ill test it again.

Crisco

Banned
Nice, I won't switch but hopefully this will get Google to step up it's game.

Sounds like shit to me.

I tried with opera and chrome, something wrong is happening.

Spotify sounds much better, more clear, I heard weird background noises on this test, also kind of stuttering...

I have one of those cheap Superlux HD668B that are supposedly good.

I had this problem. Seems like whatever codec they are using isn't friendly to certain levels of upsampling and I had to go change the "Shared Mode" settings for my audio device in Windows to 24/96khz instead of the 32/192 it was at. That fixed all the audio artifacts i was hearing and I was able get 5/5.

SB X-Fi --> AudioEngine D1 --> Matrix M-Stage -> AKG Q701s

Cels

i got 5/5 but i had to try really hard to spot the differences.

beyerdynamic dt 770 80 ohms, onboard desktop sound

mm04

You listen to enough high res audio and you can tell the difference fairly easily. From mp3 to CD to SACD. CD quality is the lowest that gets played on my listening setup. Headphones or portables, I really don't care though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom