• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tier 2 Xbox One launch: retail stories

Ape

Banned
That gen didn't rule because Sony dominated. Wishing for that is moronic. That gen was great because of all the third parties who have since died off.

May they rest in peace. This gen is shit for third parties. We need of the willingness of Microsoft and Sony (somewhat Nintendo) to subsidize development of games for their platforms. If it was just Sony or just Microsoft they wouldn't have that option because the company only has so much money allotted to go around. Projects would inevitably be scrapped and we wouldn't see games (like Titanfall) released.

This gen is fucking expensive. We need everyone we have in it.

Jomjom

Banned
Microsoft made this deal for Xbox and Windows and their devices. That's why everyone is carrying around a surface during football matches. Also, what's the deal with everyone bringing this up? The NFL partnership is all about mindshare. Millions of viewers watch american football. They will all see Microsoft products while they watch, which is a huge win for them.

Funny thing I noticed watching the game with some friends and family yesterday, everyone was like oh hey they use iPads now!

Steroyd

May they rest in peace. This gen is shit for third parties. We need of the willingness of Microsoft and Sony (somewhat Nintendo) to subsidize development of games for their platforms. If it was just Sony or just Microsoft they wouldn't have that option because the company only has so much money allotted to go around. Projects would inevitably be scrapped and we wouldn't see games (like Titanfall) released.

Titanfall is an odd example, it's exactly the type of "safe" Call Of Duty type game that the whole last gen had been criticised on.

And it's the whole AAA or bust mentality that's making things expensive more than anything.

Timmay

Banned
Funny thing I noticed watching the game with some friends and family yesterday, everyone was like oh hey they use iPads now!

I think they do use iPads as well. On Hard Knocks each player was issued an iPad, if I'm not mistaken. But yeah, people claiming the 400 million came out of the Xbox budget are clueless. That's a company-wide deal. They do more with the NFL pushing their OS and tablets than they do with the console.

system11

And it's the whole AAA or bust mentality that's making things expensive more than anything.

This, it doesn't HAVE to be expensive. Hand me a street racer that plays like Midnight Club II and I don't care if it looks like it too, I'll be happy.

Jomjom

Banned
I think they do use iPads as well. On Hard Knocks each player was issued an iPad, if I'm not mistaken. But yeah, people claiming the 400 million came out of the Xbox budget are clueless. That's a company-wide deal. They do more with the NFL pushing their OS and tablets than they do with the console.

Oh didn't know that. But the part that my family noticed the tablets was during one of the halftime on-field interviews (or was it postgame) and one of the coaches was holding it in his hand. It was definitely a Surface, but the problem is my family has no idea what a Surface is. They only know iPad.

They were just surprised because most of the time they are holding those clipboards or marker boards.

watership

Oh didn't know that. But the part that my family noticed the tablets was during one of the halftime on-field interviews (or was it postgame) and one of the coaches was holding it in his hand. It was definitely a Surface, but the problem is my family has no idea what a Surface is. They only know iPad.

They were just surprised because most of the time they are holding those clipboards or marker boards.

To be fair most people see tablets and think Ipad. :)

Microsoft made this deal for Xbox and Windows and their devices. That's why everyone is carrying around a surface during football matches. Also, what's the deal with everyone bringing this up? The NFL partnership is all about mindshare. Millions of viewers watch american football. They will all see Microsoft products while they watch, which is a huge win for them.

Good investment for Apple.... oh wait.

1405890449975.gif

Thats the problem with Microsoft. They only buy stuff externally or spend their Money on marketing (in the us) And not on Games.

And still some people support them from outside US, that is really really strange. You know you don't get the same treatment as the American people, yet you spend money on their products. That is a bit silly to me.

Compbros

Sorry, but in my opinion it´s just the opposite

1) Look at PS+ ... nothing compared to what it was on PS3. And yes, they do not need do release AAA retail games by now but just not only indie 8bit stuff
2) Firmware Updates. 10 months with more or less no features is embarrasing.

I see that they have good sales and therefore see no need to go the extra mile for gamers as they have done in the past (and MS is definitely doing now)

1. Actually it's fairly comparable as PS+ on PS3 took a year+ before their first big retail game came out and that was with years of game releases. It wasn't until 2 years later that it became a real beast of a service: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Instant_Game_Collection_games_(North_America)

At this time I'd say year 1 PS4 is much better than year 1 PS3.

2. This is a problem for Sony and it was the same for the PS3, they just aren't quick with their stuff but they definitely are working on it and not sitting on their laurels.

Fess

The XBO might not be doing quite as badly as I thought it would here in Sweden. The Nordic Day One Edition (without Kinect) seems to be sold out at most online stores according to price comparison website prisjakt:

vGVXlgV.jpg

Then again, that may just be an indication of low stock, which could explain the lack of advertising noted by many here.
Elgiganten had 24 consoles in stock up in Luleå so the first shipment seems to be quite small, but there were just about 5 or maybe 10 people ready to buy it when the doors opened so it was unusually calm for a console launch.

Anyhow, I got it and I love it so far, I think it looks slick and it's incredibly silent compared to PS4, the controller is awesome too, I even like Ryse 3 hours in on soldier difficulty. But the hype is going down a lot when you know so many games is better optimized on PS4. MS seriously need to invest in exclusives, maybe more so than Nintendo.

tbm24

To be fair most people see tablets and think Ipad. :)

That is kind of the point of the whole deal. In people's minds they usually only know of an ipad. The more they watch the games at some point(assuming there will be surface ads during the games) they will catch on to what it is. Then they learn what a surface is. It may not work on anyone, it will definitely increase awareness for many.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

But they did announce it during the XBO reveal, as some fantastic thing that would add great value to XBO owners. And it (among other things) instantly turned 99.9% of Europeans off the console, because it was so obvious that it wasn't being made for them.

Microsoft spending their money on keeping Tomb Raider off the PS4 for a chunk of time rather than backing some smaller developers produce something new and exciting doesn't really support your argument.

tbm24

Microsoft spending their money on keeping Tomb Raider off the PS4 for a chunk of time rather than backing some smaller developers produce something new and exciting doesn't really support your argument.

Neither does your lack of evidence that MS isn't actually doing that. Last I checked they do have games announced and in the pipeline for the console. Could it be more? Sure, it always can be more. But it's disingenuous to suggest they aren't.

Funny thing about that: when I brought my Surface to jury duty last week, all the other jurors knew it wasn't an iPad...but thought it was an Android device.

Timmay

Banned
But they did announce it during the XBO reveal, as some fantastic thing that would add great value to XBO owners. And it (among other things) instantly turned 99.9% of Europeans off the console, because it was so obvious that it wasn't being made for them.

I must be the .1 percent, because that kinda crap doesn't bother me. You know, like how PSNow isn't coming to Europe until long after the US.

Neither does your lack of evidence that MS isn't actually doing that. Last I checked they do have games announced and in the pipeline for the console. Could it be more? Sure, it always can be more. But it's disingenuous to suggest they aren't.

I hope Microsoft turns things around because I have good memories of my first few years with a 360, but it's been years now that Microsoft has pushed a small handful of games each year in the hopes that they'll be mega blockbusters. Sony has a much better track record of releasing smaller games in addition to their mega franchises.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

MS are way, way behind in supporting such games, and it's so very obvious. They've been trying to make up for the arrogant view on indies they had a year or so ago, but they're definitely not there yet.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I must be the .1 percent, because that kinda crap doesn't bother me. You know, like how PSNow isn't coming to Europe until long after the US.

That's annoying, but different. The XBO reveal was like 90% stuff that's completely irrelevant outside the US. TV stuff that only works in the US, voice stuff that only works in English, sports junk that nobody outside the US cares about, etc.

They have plenty of games coming out though. Just as much as the competition( funded and published games that is )

This is factually incorrect. By my count, Sony have announced almost twice the amount of first party games that are coming up than Microsoft has for the Xbone and that's even when excluding Vita and SOE games. The only reason why this isn't immediately obvious is because Sony are slow starters but in a couple of years, it'll be plain as day.

That's cool and all... but MS seem more interested in buying temporary exclusivity and nonsensical deals, than they are with actually investing in first party development... unless when compared with Sony.

Timmay

Banned
Can anyone confirm/deny that the shipment of Xbonen to Chile are all making an irritating chirping noise?

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1805665.aspx?pi7962=7

It doesn't sound limited to Chile but such a claim would be easy enough to verify.
Wow, sounds like the problem that caused me to return multiple Xbox Ones and eventually just give up on getting one. MS definitely has a problem. The conjecture that it's limited to just this batch is false. I'm in the US, and if you go to YouTube you'll find many videos documenting the problem.

mike4001_

Elgiganten had 24 consoles in stock up in Luleå so the first shipment seems to be quite small, but there were just about 5 or maybe 10 people ready to buy it when the doors opened so it was unusually calm for a console launch.

OK, but you have to assume that the "fans" who would wait in line for a console at launch would also have already imported the console.

mike4001_

What exclusives are coming out between January 2015 and September 2015 on the Xbox one?

Screamride is slated for Q2.2015
State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition Q2.2015
HALO 5 might be Q3.2015

I would assume that Quantum Break will also come out around Q2.2015 as it was rumored for 2014 and then just got delayed.

Sorry, but in my opinion it´s just the opposite

1) Look at PS+ ... nothing compared to what it was on PS3. And yes, they do not need do release AAA retail games by now but just not only indie 8bit stuff
2) Firmware Updates. 10 months with more or less no features is embarrasing.

I see that they have good sales and therefore see no need to go the extra mile for gamers as they have done in the past (and MS is definitely doing now)

What exclusives are coming out between January 2015 and September 2015 on the Xbox one?
HALO 5 might be Q3.2015

I would assume that Quantum Break will also come out around Q2.2015 as it was rumored for 2014 and then just got delayed.

You're like the Last Airbender on this page, but you manipulate evidence instead of the elements.

barit

Can anyone confirm/deny that the shipment of Xbonen to Chile are all making an irritating chirping noise?

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_one_support/f/4269/t/1805665.aspx?pi7962=7

It doesn't sound limited to Chile but such a claim would be easy enough to verify.

So much for the "it's quieter then PS4"

Another blow for MS. Xbone can't catch a break. But it's no suprise, Hardware was always MS biggest problems. Never forget the RRoD fiasco and how MS tried to convince everybody that this was normal.

Majmun

The console just officially launched here in Holland. But The Xbox One was readily available since november last year. I haven't seen any commercials so far.

This whole situation is pretty depressing. MS doesn't seem to care about Europe.

The console just officially launched here in Holland. But The Xbox One was readily available since november last year. I haven't seen any commercials so far.

This whole situation is pretty depressing. MS doesn't seem to care about Europe.

If it's already been available... man idk if I'd bother much with an official launch either unless it was only available to hardcore importers.

Chobel

HALO 5 might be Q3.2015

Quantum Break is Q3/Q4 2015. Halo 5 is most likely Q4 2015.
There is also Fable legends coming in first half of 2015, I think.
EDIT: And Forza 6 is likely to be Sept/Oct 2015 release.

They finally launch in other regions - which I still think was reasonably important to their sales, it was obviously never going to be a negative factor and they don't even bother to advertise.

So stupid.

Microsoft probably thought they could win the NA market again (which would explain that NFL deal and other US-centric plans), to more than make-up their less than stellar worldwide sales. PS4 coming out early and more-or-less dominating, put a wrench into those plans. Oops. Ignoring Europe and other countries last-gen is now biting them in the ass.

p3tran

Banned

Anyhow, I got it and I love it so far, I think it looks slick and it's incredibly silent compared to PS4, the controller is awesome too, I even like Ryse 3 hours in on soldier difficulty. But the hype is going down a lot when you know so many games is better optimized on PS4. MS seriously need to invest in exclusives, maybe more so than Nintendo.
enjoy your new toy! but play ryse in the hardest difficulty right from the start. you will enjoy a lot more.

about the other thing you say, you will soon find out yourself that its not something significant, especially if you look at how it goes now, and not at launch where everybody threw whatever they could muster until release deadline.

p3tran

Banned
So much for the "it's quieter then PS4"

Another blow for MS. Xbone can't catch a break. But it's no suprise, Hardware was always MS biggest problems. Never forget the RRoD fiasco and how MS tried to convince everybody that this was normal.
what are you talking about? my xbone cannot be heard even after 5 hours of intense titanfall, my ps4 lights up the ...turbos when I sit at the start screen on last of us.

are you talking a post of what definetely is a console with a problem, to make your conclusion?
cheez "another blow for ms".. yeah right.. drop some "RROD fiasco" there too, nice mix you got there..

facts be facts, this time ms outperformed sony in build quality.

ethomaz

Banned
That was my issue with MS E3 and Gamecom this year... everything was late 2015, 2016 or even 2017.

Same happened this year... after Kinect Sports in April... SO in late October and MCC in November.

PS4 is not better for 2014 too but at least there are a lot of games coming in early 2015.

what are you talking about? my xbone cannot be heard even after 5 hours of intense titanfall, my ps4 lights up the ...turbos when I sit at the start screen on last of us.

are you talking a post of what definetely is a console with a problem, to make your conclusion?
cheez "another blow for ms".. yeah right.. drop some "RROD fiasco" there too, nice mix you got there..

thinking about it in comparison i don't think ive ever heard a jet engine sound coming from my xbox one yet

That has nothing to do with build quality tho, just a trade off between noise,power and size.

I for one really like the integrated psu and compactsize of the PS4 and take a bit more noise for granted.

Phinor

There seems to be retailer specific problems with actually getting stock, at least in Finland. Couple of retailers have said the Kinect bundle is completely delayed until the end of the month, some other retailers received their Kinect bundles just fine. Some are reporting that they didn't get as many FIFA15&Forza 5 bundles as they ordered so they are unable to honor all pre-orders. And finally controllers seem to be in short supply in many places, ie. some didn't receive any or too few to cover pre-orders.

Probably pretty usual problems with new products but obviously a bit funny/annoying when MS should be desperately selling every console they can. Hurts most those who pre-ordered and are locked into specific retailer. Never pre-order?

Tommy DJ

Outside of the control stick issue, I'm not seeing how Microsoft has produced a better built system than Sony. Outside of the initial teething issues both system had, they both seem reliable enough.

Just because Sony opted for a different design philosophy that resulted in a much smaller, but louder, system does not mean the PS4 is worse in build quality. A centrifugal fan is an extremely effective cooling solution for how Sony designed the PS4 but will generally be louder for obvious reasons. Next you're going to tell me that the GTX 700 series reference heatsink has bad quality because its louder than open aftermarket solutions.

Top Bottom