• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Woods injured in car crash, Jaws of life needed

Paulxo87

I'm looking at live helicopter views of the crash scene. I'll reserve judgement until we truly know the cause of the crash but he must have been FLYING.

UncleMeat

Ya I just heard about it, this sucks. Single car accident too.

This article shows a picture of his car. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/23/tig...officers-used-jaws-of-life-to-rescue-him.html

106844479-1614109399108-EZTV_1047_REM-047H_2021-02-23_14h41m33s.jpg

He's very troubled, it seems. Hopefully he makes a full recovery, or at the very least so he can keep playing golf with his kid, but it doesn't sound good. I heard "multiple leg injuries"

MastAndo

Just terrible. Not to speculate, but he did look pretty messed up during an interview at the Genesis Invitational a few days ago. It's probably the pain pills.

They're also saying compound fractures to his legs. It all sounds pretty gruesome but in the end, he's fortunate to be alive.

Paulxo87

I think high on pain meds. His back was apparently acting up again. Looked high as hell on tv on Sunday.

Because he doesn't know how to fucking relax so things can heal right. Supposedly he's been out all weekend socializing with celebrities and giving them pointers with their swings.

Termite

All the jokes about him being high as a kite on TV at the Genesis on Sunday suddenly read very different.

Good luck to him, hope he makes a full recovery. His career at the top level is surely over.

Last edited:

gow3isben

That other horrific, repugnant place already taking shots at him accepting the medal of freedom

My condolences and hope for his sake he was high enough at the time to dull out the pain from this ridiculous crash

In case anyone asks:

The term "Jaws of Life" refers to several types of piston-rod hydraulic tools known as cutters, spreaders and rams, which are used to pry open vehicles involved in accidents when a victim may be trapped.
Thanks for the clarification. I thought they brought in a friendly shark.

Sounds really scary when you need special equipment to remove someone from a crashed vehicle. Could've been a lot worse, especially if the car caught fire.

Droxcy

Back spasms are hell of a thing luckily he was wearing his seat belt (hopefully looks like it) if he broke both legs then yeah he won't be recovered before he retires shame

Reactions: MrS

BlackM1st

Banned
He didn't attempt to brake. Woof. He is incredibly lucky...Also, why Genesis SUV out of all cars? Promo campaign maybe? Why no Bentley, no Mercedes? Hell, he probably can easily afford RR too. Such a weird choice for a car.

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
The jaws of life were not used. Which doesn't really matter, but is interesting in that it's one of three or four bits of information to this story, but now appears to be wrong and spun from thin air.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Apparently shattered his ankle and broke both legs, one being a compound fracture(bone breaks in half and punctures through the skin).

His biggest concern going forward is going to be not having any kind of staph infection with that compound fracture. Always a risk.

epicnemesis

The jokes write themselves but honestly I love the guy. I even have a couple autographs. He really should've just used a driver if he was taking some strong panikillers.
It’s a really tricky road too. Windy roads with lots of dips. I’ve been on it a few times, got married near there. I would never drive it in an altered state.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Oh man that's bad.

Woods suffered “comminuted open fractures” to both the upper and lower portions of his tibia and fibula in his right leg, as well as damage to the ankle bones and trauma to the muscle and soft-tissue of the leg, according to an update released via his social-media accounts on Tuesday night. A comminuted fracture is when a bone breaks into more than two pieces, and an open fracture suggests bone broke the skin.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

A comeback from an accident like this is not unprecedented. Tiger considered Ben Hogan’s comeback after getting hit by a bus to be one of the greatest sports comebacks of all time. If Tiger has the mind to pull off a similar feat, I wouldn’t put it past him.

I know this is wishful thinking, but his competitive spirit is something fierce.
On Feb. 2, 1949, Ben and his wife, Valerie, were driving near Van Horn, Texas, on their way back to Fort Worth in foggy conditions when their car was hit head-on by a Greyhound bus.

Hogan reportedly stretched out across the seat to save Valerie. The left side of Hogan’s body was crushed. He sustained injuries to his pelvis, ankle, knee, ribs, collarbone and shoulder...

....The initial reports said Ben Hogan was dead. When the full details of the injury became known, the prevailing thought was that he would be lucky to walk again, and his career as a professional golfer was over.

He was 36.

Sixteen months after the crash, Ben Hogan won the 1950 U.S. Open at Merion near Philadelphia. He would have to play five rounds in four days, and it became known as the “Miracle at Merion.”

“I think that one of the greatest comebacks in all of sport is the gentleman who won here, Mr. Ben Hogan. I mean, he got hit by a bus and came back and won major championships,” Tiger Woods said at Augusta in the spring of 2018 about Hogan who won The Masters in 1951 and 1953.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
No evidence of impairment

7:15 am, going downhill at a high rate of speed, veering over the center line and down a hill. Sounds like he may have fallen asleep.

Tesseract

Banned
saw this in my dev feed last night, absolutely brutal

woods is tough and will bounce back faster than people think

gow3isben

According to CNN he was in shock but lucid and not in significant distress or pain (likely because of the adrenaline).

Great news.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
A bump to provide the cause. Looks like excessive speed. Going 84 to 87 mph in a 45. Not cited or blood test taken.

i just saw that. how do you not give him a ticket for speeding or reckless driving.

Instead of pressing brakes, he pressed gas. Surely thats grounds for a blood test for alcohol levels.

Vestal

i just saw that. how do you not give him a ticket for speeding or reckless driving.

Instead of pressing brakes, he pressed gas. Surely thats grounds for a blood test for alcohol levels.
Is there a history of giving citations for similar situations like this? Single car crash where the evidence relating to speed etc is collected after the fact?

Top Bottom