• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tiger Woods Revealed for Genesis!!!

jarrod

Banned
sp0rsk said:
okay this is a system that has the previous systems processor plus another more powerful processor, you would think they could atleast make it look as good as the gba one. this looks like a genesis game. seriously wtf.
Actually it has the GBA ARM7 at double the clockspeed and more than 4 times the RAM in addition to the more powerful ARM9 with 3D instruction set. There's really no excuse for the game looking this bad. :/

jarrod said:
I'm worried for Madden DS now... I've also got a feeling NFSUR on PSP won't suddenly get better looking either. :/

Possibly. So far the only nice looking EA game i've seen on either handheld is Tiger Woods on the PSP which looks really nice.

Memles

The problem is that, rather than making a title too match the DS, they seem to have simply downgraded the console versions.

The console versions' graphical highlights are its character models and other details; the GBA games focuses on a more cartoony sense of style, while this is simply trying too hard to be the console game, and the graphics suffer. Greatly.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
If there's anyone reading this who actually had access to whoever the fuck it is at IGN who puts these screens up, PLEASE tell him to make them actual DS size.

It's just fucking retarded not doing and helps absolutely no one.

As for this game...complete shit. As many others have said, the GBA game does indeed look better. Yey for EA's rushing games to launch policy!

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
jarrod:

> I'm worried for Madden DS now...

A lot depends on the team. The GBA Tiger Woods games were outsourced for example.

> I've also got a feeling NFSUR on PSP won't suddenly get better looking either. :/

PSP is higher on the priority list... although you're probably right. The most you can hope for is probably a smoother framerate.

SolidSnakex said:
Possibly. So far the only nice looking EA game i've seen on either handheld is Tiger Woods on the PSP which looks really nice.

I haven't seen any ingame ones either, although thankfully it does appear to be using the ingame engine. Really nice shadows and clouds n stuff.. basically everything these screens lack.

jarrod

Banned
Define "nice looking"...

tiger-woods-pga-tour-20040925071539960.jpg
tiger-woods-pga-tour-20040925071540366.jpg

...nicer looking yes, but it still looks a step below launch DC stuff. :/

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
HAH HAH I love the thread title change.

Embarrasing that the GBA games look better. I like what they are trying to do with the DS game but damn the dev team really didn't give a shit.

I think Tiger Woods looks like crap on a PC (With settings maxxed out), so the fact the DS version isn't pushing the hardware is hardly surprising.

But leave it to EA to be their lazy ass self and use the buttons to swing with the second screen showing the f*cking gauges. EA: Ever hear of Golden Tee Golf? WTF. Golf is built for this device and they're too f*cking lazy to spend 5 minutes adjusting their engine. Good thing I think EA is the scourge of this industry or I'd be disappointed by this.

robot said:
featuring the worlds largest swing meter!
Well, it's with good reason.

IGN said:
The series' Total Swing Control system has been implemented to utilize the DS' touch screen technology, giving players much more direct control over their swing using the stylus.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Well, it goes without saying that this looks horrible.

PSP version looks OK, but much worse than Hot Shots Golf. As usual, EA games at launch are hardly something to judge hardware by.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Really... though I probably should've said upper level stuff (Sonic Advanture, PowerStone, Sega Rally 2, etc). Especially given how great Madden and SSX looked at PS2 launch, I expect more from EA... the DC Tee Off game from Bottom's Up doesn't look far off to be honest though, EA should be ashamed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Marconelly said:
Well, it goes without saying that this looks horrible.

PSP version looks OK, but much worse than Hot Shots Golf. As usual, EA games at launch are hardly something to judge hardware by.

I thought SSX made a good impression...

The framerate was a bit bumpy, but it held 60 fps quite often (especially in trick mode). The modeling was fab, the lighting was lovely, and the courses were absolutely MASSIVE. PLUS, the game was not field rendered like so many others at the time. I thought it did a good job showcasing what we might expect down the line...

Madden was good looking as well. It looked better than the Dreamcast NFL2K1 and ran much smoother...

Really... though I probably should've said upper level stuff (Sonic Advanture, PowerStone, Sega Rally 2, etc). Especially given how great Madden and SSX looked at PS2 launch, I expect more from EA... the DC Tee Off game from Bottom's Up doesn't look far off, EA should be ashamed.

Sega Rally 2 wasn't a launch title in either region and the other two were not launch titles.

The JP DC launch had Sengoku Turb, Seventh Cross, VF3tb (all pictured above), and July (which was just an FMV-ish adventure). Sonic and SR2 came a bit later and Powerstone was in 1999...

US launch is different, but the Tiger Woods shot is pre-JP PSP launch AND isn't exactly a high profile title. If you look at the character model up close...

920771_20040924_screen004.jpg

...I'd say it stands above your average DC title.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Sega Rally 2 wasn't a launch title in either region and the other two were not launch titles.

The JP DC launch had Sengoku Turb, Seventh Cross, VF3tb (all pictured above), and July (which was just an FMV-ish adventure). Sonic and SR2 came a bit later and Powerstone was in 1999...
I said launch era... all 3 games came within 4 months of launch.

dark10x said:
US launch is different, but the Tiger Woods shot is pre-JP PSP launch AND isn't exactly a high profile title. If you look at the character model up close...
Sonic Adventure, PowerStone, GeistForce & HotD2's prerelease DC shots (running on incomplete DEV libraries/tools no less) still looked better. Tiger Woods has nice models marred by simple courses filled with chunky sprites. :/

dark10x said:
...I'd say it stands above your average DC title.
I disagree, at least from larger developers like Sega or Capcom. Comparing EA to Bottom's Up is a little unfair to say the least.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I was saying that the character model is quite decent and beyond average DC stuff...

When I said "average", I actually meant it. Most "average" DC games had very poor, almost PSX-like character models...

The point is, I'm comparing a low-grade game to other low-grade games. I mean, that's like looking at the PS2 launch and comparing Eternal Ring to Soul Calibur or something...

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
I was saying that the character model is quite decent and beyond average DC stuff...

When I said "average", I actually meant it. Most "average" DC games had very poor, almost PSX-like character models...
Well, DC actually had a high percentage of PS1 ports. ;)

I'd agree, looking over the entire library, this looks "above average" for a DC game... but it also looks "above average" for most PSP games seen so far. Hell, it looks better than the average PS2 game too... but it looks "below average" for EA without a doubt. :/

dark10x said:
The point is, I'm comparing a low-grade game to other low-grade games. I mean, that's like looking at the PS2 launch and comparing Eternal Ring to Soul Calibur or something...
I dunno... I wouldn't exactly be so quick to call an EA game 'low grade'. If EA's 'low grade', then what's going to be 'high grade' on the platform? This isn't Majesco, Natsume or Empire here, it's EA. I expect better (and that goes for both PSP & DS, both platforms are clearly capable of much more).

BuddyC

jarrod said:
I dunno... I wouldn't exactly be so quick to call an EA game 'low grade'. If EA's 'low grade', then what's going to be 'high grade' on the platform?
....Sega?

:lol :lol :lol

Oh, I'm funny.

Insertia

jarrod said:
Er... those look pretty comparable imo. :/

It definitely doesn't look below DC launch quality as you implied earlier. :)
And there's no denying that it looks better then Tee Off.

I dunno... I wouldn't exactly be so quick to call an EA game 'low grade'. If EA's 'low grade', then what's going to be 'high grade' on the platform?

So you're saying Tiger Woods is at the top of the barrel in terms of graphics for the DS? :D

BuddyChrist83 said:
Never saw those Urbz shots, huh? EA's showings thus far have bring pretty disappointing.

Luckily, I'd probably never buy the Urbz, or for that matter, any of EA Sports titles for a portable system. I'd rather play that on the big screen. I have enough problems trying to find an open receiver without having to squint.

jarrod

Banned
Insertia said:
It definitely doesn't look below DC launch quality as you implied earlier. :)
And there's no denying that it looks better then Tee Off.
It looks comparable to TeeOff, an early low budget game from a miniscule JP developer. :/

Insertia said:
So you're saying Tiger Woods is at the top of the barrel in terms of graphics for the DS? :D
I'm saying in both cases, EA should be doing better. I've got a feeling, as with GBA, it'll be up to JP developers mainly to show what DS & PSP are really capable of. Maybe I should reitierate that this is more a reflection on EA than PSP, before more borgs start hounding me? :p

ge-man

I have to disagree with jarrod. TW for the PSP looks comparable to the PS2. However, that doesn't change the fact that we are essentially getting ports from EA in both cases. The sad part is that the DS clearly better than what they are porting the game from.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Are these visuals really all that different from what people expected of either handheld?
Yes? I'm generally happy with the other games I've seen on DS & PSP, even when they aren't that technologically advanced (Lumines, Ape Escape, Pac-Pix, etc). EA's DS/PSP projects are downright ugly so far, especially in comparison to other large publishers like Sega or Namco. :/

EA makes nice looking console games too... what happened?

Top Bottom