• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TikTok censored US user's content under direction from China

ManaByte

Gold Member

TikTok collected data about its users’ views on sensitive topics and censored content at the direction of its China-based parent company, the Justice Department said Friday, making its most forceful case to date that the video-sharing app poses a national-security threat.

The Justice Department made the details public in court filings late Friday in response to a federal lawsuit TikTok filed in May arguing that a new law requiring a sale or ban of the popular social-media app violates the free-speech rights of millions of Americans under the banner of national security.

The Justice Department said it based its conclusions about TikTok tracking sensitive views on the discovery of a software tool that allowed ByteDance and TikTok employees in the U.S. to collect user information based on a user’s content, including their views on subjects such as gun control, abortion and religion.

“TikTok U.S., by its own admission, is merely a conduit for content-moderation decisions made by the Chinese entities,” a Justice Department official said.

The Justice Department said it based its conclusions in part on revelations that the TikTok employees had sent significant amounts of restricted U.S. user data to colleagues in China using ByteDance’s internal communication system called Lark. ByteDance operated Lark on servers in China, which meant these communications were stored there and accessible to ByteDance employees located in China, according to the Justice Department.

Anyone who is trying to claim the app isn't a massive CCP psy-op spying tool is probably working for the CCP themselves.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
“The Justice Department said it based its conclusions in part on revelations that the TikTok employees had sent significant amounts of restricted U.S. user data to colleagues in China using ByteDance’s internal communication system called Lark”
Mmmh…

[…] use of Microsoft 365 routinely results in [restricted EU] data flowing back to Microsoft’s servers in the U.S.

Microsoft handed the NSA access to encrypted messages​

Mmmh…

(from the perspective of EU citizens and looking at the GDPR framework… let alone the law they passed in the U.S. goes FAR far beyond the ban of Tik Tok in terms of what the government has control of but 🤷‍♂️…)

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Mmmh…

Mmmh…

(from the perspective of EU citizens and looking at the GDPR framework… let alone the law they passed in the U.S. goes FAR far beyond the ban of Tik Tok in terms of what the government has control of but 🤷‍♂️…)
its everyone eats everyone world out there .

I’m more curious about who will take the throne in the US when Tiktok is gone next year.

• Youtube Shorts
  • Instagram Reels
  • Snapchat Spotlight
  • Other?

Toons

Theres a lot of disinformation accounts around the internet. Twitter ironically has a ton too. Let's hope they continue being scrutinized.

kikkis

I mean twitter, facebook and youtube is moderated by us officials so try not to ignore the double standard.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Most people already knew that Tik Tok was spyware and propaganda machine on steroids.
That so many governments allow this program to continue to operate without regulation, is insanity.
And my god didn't it work wonders on young minds. The brilliance of it though is they didn't even need weapons. Just total dominance on young minds.

They knew full well what they were doing. The impossible task is trying to undo the damage.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It's mind boggling to me that anyone uses that app tbf and it's not a conspiracy to think that the CCP aren't using it to ever so subtly inject their ideology into it through curated videos specifically designed to illicit an emotional response from the idiotic emotionally challenged cunts that use it on a daily basis.

Why this isn't banned throughout the western hemisphere beggar's belief, hopefully the EU/UK will follow suit

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I mean twitter, facebook and youtube is moderated by us officials so try not to ignore the double standard.
I have no issues with the US/UK/EU hoovering up our data as we have freely elected governments, whistleblowers etc and if the shit hits the fan we can demand answers, the CCP are an evil entity exactly like the Russians who want to destabilise and destroy western society from within so don't give me that double standard shite, one is not equal to the other ffs

winjer

Gold Member
There is a reason why India banned Tik tok.
They know very well that it's propaganda and that it poses a very real threat to their own society.
That the USA and Eu haven't done anything yet, is mind boggling. It speaks volumes to the level of incompetence of our leaders.

natjjohn

If this shocks you, you should see the propaganda all over Twitter and they’ve done similar censoring for the worst of the worst.

I share this mainly because the same people pounding the table over Tik Tok, are dead silent about Twitter

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I have no issues with the US/UK/EU hoovering up our data as we have freely elected governments, whistleblowers etc and if the shit hits the fan we can demand answers, the CCP are an evil entity exactly like the Russians who want to destabilise and destroy western society from within so don't give me that double standard shite, one is not equal to the other ffs
China and Russia are on different ends of the political spectrum. China is when you go too far left, and Russia is when you go too far right.

Thaedolus

I’ve never had it on my phone, never will. My friends send me links sometimes and I don’t see the harm in opening them in safari tho

Mistake

Gold Member
I didn't think I would facepalm so early in the morning. Human nature is not exclusive to any race or government entity. Power corrupts, and those with it will do what they can to keep it. The last guy we had whistleblowing on this subject in the US, got charged with bs and exiled to another country. I have a lot more to say, but that'll derail the thread and get it locked

As for the tiktok business, youtube and facebook do the same crap and change their tos so much it's becoming a royal pain for creators. It's why alternatives are becoming more of a thing
hdvwlh7.jpeg

Last edited:

mitch1971

Gold Member
feels game of thrones GIF

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
What is it with the CCP tiktok shills?? We all know the US government is one of the worst, all governments are but they are not genocidal worse nor are they utterly authoritarian ffs

Mistake

Gold Member
What is it with the CCP tiktok shills?? We all know the US government is one of the worst, all governments are but they are not genocidal worse nor are they utterly authoritarian ffs
Saying both is bad is not shilling for anyone. It's being realistic. Point of the matter, the US collects data on its citizens, which is wrong. China does it, and that's wrong too. They may have their own reasons, but that doesn't matter. Still not right. And if one party wants to be all high and mighty about it, then stop being a hypocrite

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Saying both is bad is not shilling for anyone. It's being realistic. Point of the matter, the US collects data on its citizens, which is wrong. China does it, and that's wrong too. They may have their own reasons, but that doesn't matter. Still not right. And if one party wants to be all high and mighty about it, then stop being a hypocrite
China collects data in order to target morons and shift their attitudes towards it's claim on Taiwan, to question the claims of genocide on the Uyghurs and so on, to compare the CCP or the cunt Russians to Western governments is laughable, theres a reason we call em useful idiots

Mistake

Gold Member
China collects data in order to target morons and shift their attitudes towards it's claim on Taiwan, to question the claims of genocide on the Uyghurs and so on, to compare the CCP or the cunt Russians to Western governments is laughable, theres a reason we call em useful idiots
And what difference is that between the US putting out their own brand of propaganda? Saying every war is justified or trying to sway people towards one party or the other? You're still manipulating people, and collecting their information to serve your own ends. Useful idiots indeed.

Privacy needs to improve across the board. Period. You should own information about you. Until I see some laws addressing this, the tiktok situation is a joke

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I don't use tik tok, but I am pretty that it's a bunch of dumb shit videos and it doesn't get close to anything as meaningful as genocide or Taiwans sovereignty unless you deliberately go looking for it.

Mistake

Gold Member
I don't use tik tok, but I am pretty that it's a bunch of dumb shit videos and it doesn't get close to anything as meaningful as genocide or Taiwans sovereignty unless you deliberately go looking for it.
They do ban a lot of political content, but let's be real, no one is going to tiktok for that

Wildebeest

American social media platforms have been used to cause all sorts of political turmoil in various parts of the world. Mainly because it is too hard to control that stuff, and they don't really care about people dying in places other than SF anyway.

I go on TikTok every so often when I want to take a brain shit at work. Push some code through the pipeline, pop open TikTok and wait 10 or so minutes until it deploys. It's alright in small doses like that, but any longer, and I can feel the brain rot setting in.

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I love TikTok when compared to the rest of the social media platforms. Not surprised the Chinese government is involved but then again I don't possess many secrets these days.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

Anyone who is trying to claim the app isn't a massive CCP psy-op spying tool is probably working for the CCP themselves.
Its not exactly damning though is it? Creating a massive multi billion dollar social networking site to find out peoples opinions on guns, religion and abortion.
You could get that just by asking. Hell, half the posts I have seen on my nextdoor site are people complaining that they can't tell people what they think about those things.

HoodWinked

TikTok amplifies the most degenerate and brain rot content its blatantly obvious it's used as a tool to hurt the west.

But ya it's not going anywhere, the law at worst only means they are forced to divest and they'll fight that all the way to the supreme court.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Instagram and other social media sites sell the data they collect. China doesn't need to set up and maintain a massive social media network to get this info, they could buy it from Facebook.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
And what difference is that between the US putting out their own brand of propaganda? Saying every war is justified or trying to sway people towards one party or the other? You're still manipulating people, and collecting their information to serve your own ends. Useful idiots indeed.

Privacy needs to improve across the board. Period. You should own information about you. Until I see some laws addressing this, the tiktok situation is a joke
But... But... We're the good guys!
z9ljaAj.jpeg

tommib

If this shocks you, you should see the propaganda all over Twitter and they’ve done similar censoring for the worst of the worst.

I share this mainly because the same people pounding the table over Tik Tok, are dead silent about Twitter
Have to agree on this. The amount of accounts with millions of followers propagating misinformation is out of control on Twitter. I see psyops everywhere on Twitter. But free speech first, right?

FunkMiller

Gold Member

So, what it essentially comes down to is a limited amount of information and understanding about how governments of the world function, which leads to comparisons and correlations which are wildly inaccurate.

The 'they're all as bad as each other' opinion stems from the inability or the unwillingness to engage properly with the systems of these nations.

Anyone who has actually done some due diligence, instead of just looking on social media and parroting misinformation, will come to the accurate conclusion that while there are many issues with the governments of western democracies like the US and the UK, making any comparison with the authoritarian, undemocratic regimes of countries like China is as inaccurate as it is frankly stupid.

But we live in a world of people desperate to appear like they are clever and not falling for the deep state western propaganda! ...which of course marks them out as the kind of people who will fall for social media bullshit before anyone else.

The most important lesson anyone can learn in all of this is never believe anything you read on social media, and actually spend some time researching shit properly.

Last edited:

Raven117

Most people already knew that Tik Tok was spyware and propaganda machine on steroids.
That so many governments allow this program to continue to operate without regulation, is insanity.
Couldn't' agree more.

Its absolutely INSANE to think otherwise.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I have no issues with the US/UK/EU hoovering up our data as we have freely elected governments, whistleblowers etc and if the shit hits the fan we can demand answers
I would rate the US spying & intel agencies as, at best, only trivially less evil than China's, and there is essentially zero democratic control over them in practice.

TikTok is cancer, yes, but so is everything under US or EU supervision. There are precious few options anywhere that aren't under strict corporate & government control. X/Twitter is probably the best in the US (at least there is no explicit corporate-driven censorship and control) but I wouldn't put any faith in their ability to dodge the intelligence agencies.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I would rate the US spying & intel agencies as, at best, only trivially less evil than China's, and there is essentially zero democratic control over them in practice.

TikTok is cancer, yes, but so is everything under US or EU supervision. There are precious few options anywhere that aren't under strict corporate & government control. X/Twitter is probably the best in the US (at least there is no explicit corporate-driven censorship and control) but I wouldn't put any faith in their ability to dodge the intelligence agencies.

Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

Top Bottom