• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to debunk this rumor... Xenon 2005

jarrod

Banned
Fleming said:
That depends on if you consider PC ports console exclusives or not,but they will sell consoles.
Sure, but all multiplatform games sell consoles. You specificied exclusive games however, and PC ports don't really apply...

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
jarrod said:
Hmm, retail says November (as do most media sites) but Sega/AV say Winter 2005. I'll add it just to be safe.

PC/XB games sell noticably more consoles then PS2/XB/GC games,there are tons of examples,and this years SC3,Band of Brothers,Men of Valor,KOTO2 and Doom 3 will be good examples.

jarrod

Banned
Fleming said:
PC/XB games sell noticably more consoles then PS2/XB/GC games,there are tons of examples,and this years SC3,Band of Brothers,Men of Valor,KOTO2 and Doom 3 will be good examples.
Madden kills all those examples actually. :)

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
jarrod said:
Madden kills all those examples actually. :)

Well,it doesnt in terms of copies sold,but it doesnt sell hardware as much as PC/XB releases will push XB this fall or so i think,which is my point.

jarrod

Banned
Fleming said:
Well,it doesnt in terms of copies sold,but it doesnt sell hardware as much as PC/XB releases will push XB this fall or so i think,which is my point.
I dunno, I'd say Madden has been instrumental to PS2's American success. At launch and then consistantly afterward it's fueled sales (not to mention being a killer online app for 2 years running) and seems to be the only gaming series consistantly pulling an additional 500k with each installment. I'd say Madden 2006 will likely be Xenon's most important launch game also...

Madden most definietly sold more PS2s than anything has XBoxes. Even Halo I'd bet.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Lists are like pissing contests. There's no way you can *really* define any of these games as good games or wether or not they're gonna be good sellers and it's not like a person's opinion or a game's sales dictate wether they're good or not either!

I think jedimike is just pissed 'cos alot of people believe (since Xenon is coming next year) that the first X-BOX is going to look bleak next year. Thing is, it *will* look bleak if the "next generation" is already coming *and* MS can't have BC to help the transition between generations. No way around it...MS themselves want this generation to END as soon as possible and they WILL force developers to jump to Xenon early, move projects to it and basically cut short X-BOX...no amount of lists will change that. GAMECUBE will have two HUGE games next year (LOZ & RE4), while X-BOX's last really HUGE games (Halo 2 & KOTOR 2) will be this year. I see GAMECUBE & PS2 filling out this generation more fully and with BC in both their next systems I don't see them having as much transitional problems. MS, on the other hand, will have a shorter X-BOX lifespan that will hit a brick wall transition to Xenon since it'll be launching, I think, prematurly. You think they're gonna care about X-BOX when Xenon is out? They will make sacrifices to try and ensure Xenon has a successful launch & first year.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
DrGAKMAN said:
Lists are like pissing contests. There's no way you can *really* define any of these games as good games or wether or not they're gonna be good sellers and it's not like a person's opinion or a game's sales dictate wether they're good or not either!

I think jedimike is just pissed 'cos alot of people believe (since Xenon is coming next year) that the first X-BOX is going to look bleak next year. Thing is, it *will* look bleak if the "next generation" is already coming *and* MS can't have BC to help the transition between generations. No way around it...MS themselves want this generation to END as soon as possible and they WILL force developers to jump to Xenon early, move projects to it and basically cut short X-BOX...no amount of lists will change that. GAMECUBE will have two HUGE games next year (LOZ & RE4), while X-BOX's last really HUGE games (Halo 2 & KOTOR 2) will be this year. I see GAMECUBE & PS2 filling out this generation more fully and with BC in both their next systems I don't see them having as much transitional problems. MS, on the other hand, will have a shorter X-BOX lifespan that will hit a brick wall transition to Xenon since it'll be launching, I think, prematurly. You think they're gonna care about X-BOX when Xenon is out? They will make sacrifices to try and ensure Xenon has a successful launch & first year.
Dr Gakman pretty much summed up my thoughts on the matter entirely.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
What's on the agenda for PS2 in 2005? Aside from Ys 6 and FF12, most of the games I'm really looking forward to on that system are coming out this year...

And yeah, if Phantasy Star Universe becomes a GC exclusive, and if it's an offline RPG developed by Rieko Kodama and Overworks... GC will *OWN*... Oh yeah, where's 100 Marios???

Scott

Redbeard said:
Even more lesser known games like Resonance and Fate of Ages.
Resonance is still set for a 2004 release, as far as I know.

As jarrod mentioned, Fate of Ages' developer Onisoft is still seeking a publisher for the title, for any territory. However, the developers have mentioned there's potential for PC & PS2 releases of the title, so it may not even end up on the list anyway. :p
djtiesto said:
What's on the agenda for PS2 in 2005?
I've mainly only been keeping up with RPG releases, so for that genre there is (* = may not see US release):

Ambrosia Odyssey*
Arc the Lad: Generation*
Champions: Return to Arms
Dragon Warrior VIII: The Sky, the Sea, the Earth, & the Cursed Princess
Final Fantasy XII
Front Mission Online (also on PC)
Full Metal Alchemist & the Broken Angel
Kingdom Hearts II
Phantasy Star Universe (maybe)
SEGA Ages: Phantasy Star Trilogy
Shining Force (title pending)*
Shining Tears*
StellaDeus*
Tales of Destiny II*
Tales of Rebirth*
Tales of Symphonia Plus*
Wild ARMs: Another Code: F*
Xenosaga: Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse

Kind of a half-assed list, I know, I'm sure somebody can do a better job. :p

Oh and Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim is set for November. :)

Li Mu Bai

Banned
KOTOR didn't sell systems fleming, the month it released (July) it barely outsold the GC by 10k. The only new exclusive entry Nintendo had was MG: TT at the very end of the month. PC/XB conversions don't particularly cause system sales spikes either historically, UT, Rainbow 6: 3, Ghost Recon, Deus Ex, etc, etc.

Tenguman

The only reason why I don't think Xbox 2 will hit 2005 is because I simply don't think Microsoft is stupid enough to launch the system without Halo 3

Solid

Tenguman said:
The only reason why I don't think Xbox 2 will hit 2005 is because I simply don't think Microsoft is stupid enough to launch the system without Halo 3
They've saved Perfect Dark Zero for Xenon launch. At least I hope so! :D

wazoo

Li Mu Bai said:
Oh contraire, be patient & see wazoo

I'm patient since I live in Europe :) (or the opposite ?)

We just got Mario golf. A Camelot RPG would arrive in 2K6 at the earliest.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!

I agree, though i dont think they need Halo 3, they just need something that could get as far up the hype scale as halo 3 (or even half as far up), and games with that much hype are few and far between. I certainly dont think PDZ fits the bill.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
It's too bad Xenon is likely to not have backwards compatibility to Xbox1. It's going to make the transition between generations a lot tougher for MS than for Sony and Nintendo.

effzee

Did anyone watch G4 tv today? Peer from IGN was on the show called Pulse earlier and he mentioned the same thing. He was concerned that without Halo 3, Microsoft should have another surprise if they plan to launch xbox2 in 2005.

He also said that he keeps getting more and more reports from developers saying that Microsoft is pushing them to have software ready for 2005.

nitewulf

Tenguman said:

heh, then they'd have to delay it till 2007. bungie isnt exactly churning out yearly updates.

Top Bottom