• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time to start a new game (RPG)

wipeout364

I just finished TOS. Now I need to start a new RPG. I have sitting on my shelf:
1) Megaman Command Mission
2) Shadow Hearts Covenant
3) Star Ocean 3
4) Phantom Brave

Which one should I start?

Deku Tree

I refuse to make your decision.

But I know that I'll be starting Paper Mario TTYD on Monday cause my copy got overnight shipped from the IGN gamestore on friday!!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Started SO3 and fucking hated it by the time I hit 30 hours. It was only moderately interesting, though powerfully flawed, until then.

I'm about 14 hours into Shadow Hearts 2, and though it too isn't nearly as good as the reviews led me to believe, I am both interested and entertained by it. I'd go with that.

(I'll be jumping ship to Paper Mario 2 on Tuesday, however, whether or not I finish SH2).

I have Phantom Brave but haven't started it yet. Skipped out on Mega Man entirely.

Prospero

Phantom Brave is the exact opposite of TOS, so it'll be a nice change of pace. Though you may not want to make a sixty-hour time commitment right now, which is what it's going to take (though I get the feeling that you can tear ass through the game in thirty, if you skip the random dungeons).

wipeout364

Sounds like shadow hearts. I hope it is better than TOS which I didn't find that great to be honest. I was going to start Star OCean but I really didn't like the battle system in TOS so I think two games in row with that setup would be too much for me.

Mejilan

SO3 has a battle system that is a slower, clunkier, and ultimately broken shadow of ToS.

Go with Shadow Hearts.

Dead

well not really...yet
wipeout364 said:
I just finished TOS. Now I need to start a new RPG. I have sitting on my shelf:
1) Megaman Command Mission
2) Shadow Hearts Covenant
3) Star Ocean 3
4) Phantom Brave

Which one should I start?

1) Fucking Shallow but good
2) Fucking Sucks
3) Pretty Great
4 ) Also pretty awesome. Endless hours of play

So id say Phantom Brave. Star Ocean 3 closesecond, as its leagues better than that other atrocity (number 2 specifically)

Sell Shadow Hearts (or burn it) and save MegaMan for later

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Wait for Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne with me. :)

Mejilan

Actually, that must be another joke, for Star Ocean is the broken atrocity of a game, not Shadow Hearts. :-D

So Shin MegaTen is definitely coming out for real this Tuesday, then? Cool, although I'm still on disc 1 of Shadow Hearts 2 :p. Guess I'd better get moving!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
How can you start a new RPG straight afterwards!?!

I logged 60+ hours on ToS and I was so burnt out from gaming.. was a shadow of my former self. I had to go back and play the trusty Commodore 64 to gain some sense of stability.

belgurdo

Banned
DeadStar said:
1) Fucking Shallow but good
2) Fucking Sucks
3) Pretty Great
4 ) Also pretty awesome. Endless hours of play

So id say Phantom Brave. Star Ocean 3 closesecond, as its leagues better than that other atrocity (number 2 specifically)

Sell Shadow Hearts (or burn it) and save MegaMan for later

Shadow Hearts sucks and Star Broken Battle System and Long, Boring Cutscenes 3 is "pretty great." Yeah.

*watches integrity grow wings and start flapping like crazy*

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Star Ocean 3 first. It's an absolute blast. The story is told rather poorly, but the gameplay is fantastic and the dungeons are great. The battle system could be considered "broken" I guess, but I found it to be far more entertaining than Symphonia's.

It also has far and away the best soundtrack of the bunch. The music itself is great, but the usage is even better. SHC has a good soundtrack as well, but it's used REALLY poorly (they re-use the same songs over and over again), MMCM has a mediocre soundtrack (I've listened to it already), and PB is just decent.

SHC and PB are also worth playing, but I can't speak for Command Mission.

MoxManiac

PB is awesome, though pretty easy. Maybe my level 450 Marona whacking everyone for 15000-20000 over and over had something to do with it :p

wipeout364

speedpop said:
How can you start a new RPG straight afterwards!?!

I logged 60+ hours on ToS and I was so burnt out from gaming.. was a shadow of my former self. I had to go back and play the trusty Commodore 64 to gain some sense of stability.

I don't play one game exclusively (TOS took me 46 hours). I try to only play one game from each genre at a time though.

Currently I am playing:
1) SHadow hearts - strarted after all the feedback
2) Burnout 3
3) SLy Cooper Band of thieves
4) Star Wars BAttle front
I find playing one game exclusively burns me out but I try not to start too many, Like 2 RPGs at once becuase too many get lost in the shuffle.

Prospero

MoxManiac said:
PB is awesome, though pretty easy. Maybe my level 450 Marona whacking everyone for 15000-20000 over and over had something to do with it :p

I found the first ten hours of Phantom Brave to be absolutely brutal (though it was mostly because I was going too far down into random dungeons where I had no business). After that, though, the story mode is turning out to be a cakewalk.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Be a man like me and play through Dragon Warrior VII.
I'm 20 hours in and going strong.
Gonna unlock the class system soon I think!

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
SO3 first, then Shadow Hearts 2... SH's battle system is good, but right now there's hardly any story to speak of :p But it's really funny... SO3's visuals, music, towns and dungeons are a lot more interesting, but SH2 plays much more like a basic oldskool RPG.

Dez

i'm waiting for this tread to become another TOS vs SO3 battle.. ;)

but seriously.. i'd try SO3 next. it's flawed, but still fun.

Ar_

wipeout364 said:
I don't play one game exclusively (TOS took me 46 hours). I try to only play one game from each genre at a time though.

Currently I am playing:
1) SHadow hearts - strarted after all the feedback
2) Burnout 3
3) SLy Cooper Band of thieves
4) Star Wars BAttle front
I find playing one game exclusively burns me out but I try not to start too many, Like 2 RPGs at once becuase too many get lost in the shuffle.

Then DON'T PLAY SHC!

Not till you complete SH.

SHC is a direct sequel, taking place only 6 months after the end of the first game, and terribly spoilerific.
SH is good, imo even slighty superior to what I played of SHC in some regards. I'd enjoy it first, spoiler-free as intended.

explodet

I've been considering which long-ass game to play - either Dragon Warrior 7 (10 or so hours in), or one of the Ogre Games - Let Us Cling Together or Person of Lordly Caliber.

Or maybe I should just dive into Front Mission 4.

Any suggestions?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
explodet said:
I've been considering which long-ass game to play - either Dragon Warrior 7 (10 or so hours in), or one of the Ogre Games - Let Us Cling Together or Person of Lordly Caliber.

Or maybe I should just dive into Front Mission 4.

Any suggestions?

Ogre Battle 64; Person of Lordly Caliber is my #3 favorite game of all time. It's amazing. I'd say play that, although you can't go wrong with any of those choices.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
wipeout364 said:
Heh yeah, I think the main reason why I was so drilled was because I had played ToS all through one month with my limited time to play.. usually I am like you, playing several games at once.

Top Bottom