• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Henderson - EXCLUSIVE: Is the PlayStation 5 Pro Releasing in 2024?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Nothing here

The latter half of 2024 is finally here, and questions have begun to emerge a lot more frequently about the PlayStation 5 Pro’s future. Is it still happening? Will the PS5 Pro be released in 2024? When will the console be revealed? Etc.

Admittingly, the more recent discussions about the PS5 Pro missing its holiday 2024 release have been fueled by my own tweet. People understandably took a relatively passive comment as if I was implying the Pro would miss its holiday 2024 release or be canceled entirely, but that isn’t the case as of the time of writing.

Developers can submit their applications supporting the PlayStation 5 Pro to CertOps (Platform Certification & Operations) on July 30th, a date understood to have been finalized as far back as 18 months ago. In addition, all applications for the PlayStation 5 on games that will be released after September 15th will be required to support the PlayStation 5 Pro (this does not mean the PS5 Pro will release on September 16). So, although not an exact release date, the information, which was released by PlayStation earlier this week to developers, suggests that the PlayStation 5 Pro is still on track to be released later this year.

Documents sent to me in mid-2023 showed the PlayStation 5 Pro release date, which, if memory serves me correctly, was in the latter half of November 2024.

Despite the Pro seemingly being on track, several sources have been apprehensive about the console’s release later this year, primarily due to the limited number of first-party games that will use its features. However, regarding documentation (90-95% of my reporting involves documentation sources), nothing implies that the PS5 Pro has been delayed or canceled.

Officially, PlayStation has yet to confirm or acknowledge the existence of the PS5 Pro publicly. Still, developers are working hard behind the scenes on the PS5 development kits, with PS5 Pro Testing kits also being distributed this Spring.

As for when the PS5 Pro will be announced, it will likely fall in line with the PlayStation 4 Pro marketing announcements, which saw the console announced in September. As many people in the community pointed out, Sony is set to be at the Tokyo Game Show (TGS) in September, making it the first time the company has been at the show in five years. If the PS5 Pro is announced at the event, it will remain to be seen, but I speculate that Sony/PlayStation could be at the show to talk about the Pro and its features and reveal it earlier in the month instead.

When do you think the PlayStation 5 Pro will be released? Let us know in the comments below!

Last edited:

ps5-pro-release.jpg

The latter half of 2024 is finally here, and questions have begun to emerge a lot more frequently about the PlayStation 5 Pro’s future. Is it still happening? Will the PS5 Pro be released in 2024? When will the console be revealed? Etc.
Admittingly, the more recent discussions about the PS5 Pro missing its holiday 2024 release have been fueled by my own tweet. People understandably took a relatively passive comment as if I was implying the Pro would miss its holiday 2024 release or be canceled entirely, but that isn’t the case as of the time of writing.
Developers can submit their applications supporting the PlayStation 5 Pro to CertOps (Platform Certification & Operations) on July 30th, a date understood to have been finalized as far back as 18 months ago. In addition, all applications for the PlayStation 5 on games that will be released after September 15th will be required to support the PlayStation 5 Pro (this does not mean the PS5 Pro will release on September 16). So, although not an exact release date, the information, which was released by PlayStation earlier this week to developers, suggests that the PlayStation 5 Pro is still on track to be released later this year.

Documents sent to me in mid-2023 showed the PlayStation 5 Pro release date, which, if memory serves me correctly, was in the latter half of November 2024.
Despite the Pro seemingly being on track, several sources have been apprehensive about the console’s release later this year, primarily due to the limited number of first-party games that will use its features. However, regarding documentation (90-95% of my reporting involves documentation sources), nothing implies that the PS5 Pro has been delayed or canceled.

Officially, PlayStation has yet to confirm or acknowledge the existence of the PS5 Pro publicly. Still, developers are working hard behind the scenes on the PS5 development kits, with PS5 Pro Testing kits also being distributed this Spring.

As for when the PS5 Pro will be announced, it will likely fall in line with the PlayStation 4 Pro marketing announcements, which saw the console announced in September. As many people in the community pointed out, Sony is set to be at the Tokyo Game Show (TGS) in September, making it the first time the company has been at the show in five years. If the PS5 Pro is announced at the event, it will remain to be seen, but I speculate that Sony/PlayStation could be at the show to talk about the Pro and its features and reveal it earlier in the month instead.

Last edited:

nial

So, although not an exact release date, the information, which was released by PlayStation earlier this week to developers, suggests that the PlayStation 5 Pro is still on track to be released later this year.
So, all this debacle for nothing?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But if people really care about it, then they need a heavy hitter first party showcasing its power.
there was no heavy hitter first party game for the OG PS4 pro.

There were plenty of third party games like BF1, Titanfall 2, CoD, and FF16 that launched either before or after it. I believe TLG was the only one and that too released around a month after the Pro.

Sony studios will simply patch up older games like Gran Turismo and Demon Souls with missing RT effects. insomniac will port over RT shadows and AO from the PC versions of their games. And ND, SSM and GG will likely just up the resolution like they have always done.

bitbydeath

Honestly, there is no need for pro. Its a waste of resources. But if people really care about it, then they need a heavy hitter first party showcasing its power.
Pro models are only about increasing resolution and frame rates primarily. Maybe a texture boost. It’s basically the PC version of consoles.

near

Gold Member
So he makes a tweet suggesting the PS5 Pro may not release by the end of the year, only to write an article reaffirming he's belief that it still on track to release this year. All based entirely off speculation. Stop feeding this guys ego and wait for a formal announcement, that's what I'm doing.

Perrott

Honestly, there is no need for pro. Its a waste of resources. But if people really care about it, then they need a heavy hitter first party showcasing its power.
No, they don't.

What they need is for games, be it existing troublesome or even well-optimized games as well as holiday 2024 releases, to run higher resolutions internally across the board, feature increases in visual fidelity here and there, make use of the superior PSSR upscaling and run at more stable and higher framerates when performance mode is enabled. Nothing else. The tentpole exclusives and GTA VI will come with time, but all they need to make a splash this holiday are the best Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty and Star Wars multiplatform console versions - and before you continue to bitch about it, it's graphical showcase launch title is gonna be the Horizon: Zero Dawn remake running on the latest iteration of Decima.

But regardless of all that, I find it funny that you - an individual that has made it clear a thousand times to not be interested in the Pro at all - would even think to know what Sony needs to do to make people care about this product. You couldn't be farther away from the target audience, so how the fuck could you know anything? Just cut the bullshit with all your cheap concern trolling.

Xtib81

They don't need any 1st party game alongside the release of the ps5 pro. This console is aimed at tech enthusiasts who will buy it no matter what. They just need to show how good PSSR is and guarantee fidelity+performance in one single mode. Show a bunch of 2025 games like DS2 or Tsushima and people will be hyped.

Last edited:

Perrott

Bullshit. Horizon was a showcase title for it and one of Cerny's big checkerboarding examples.
Horizon: Zero Dawn didn't come out until nearly four months after launch.

And yet the Pro went on to amount for 3 in 10 (around ~15M) PS4 console sales from the moment of its release up until the end of the generation, all without an original, tentpole first-party title available at it's November 10th, 2016 launch.

Trogdor1123

I’m torn the pro. I’d be tempted to jump back from pc to ps5 if it’s good enough. I’d sell my current ps5 and just play on pc till I got a pro on day 1. But… if I wait will I lose value in my ps5?

Boss Mog

I’m torn the pro. I’d be tempted to jump back from pc to ps5 if it’s good enough. I’d sell my current ps5 and just play on pc till I got a pro on day 1. But… if I wait will I lose value in my ps5?
You're gonna want it for GTA 6. That game alone will sell plenty of PS5 Pros.

Killer8

Fixed that for accuracy

PS5 Pro will be on the market by the time it releases and the PC version will not be coming for at least 6 months (possibly longer if past R* games are anything to go by).

Unless the Xbox Series X manages to unlock the hidden power that Riky's dev tools promised us, the PS5 Pro will be the best place to play GTA 6 when it releases.

I mean, Sony never acknowleged PS4 Pro either before September 2016. They were just fucked by the fact that a private PDF leaked online mid-July

So yes it's still coming in November

Last edited:
Devs aren’t taking advantage of the main PS5 so why do we need a Pro? To me it’s a waste of money.
Because a lot of us want higher FPS and better IQ in games. I play MW3 at 120 FPS in multiplayer at 1080p. The IQ is terrible. Similar for a bunch of other games that render at 1080p-1440p and then use FSR2. It just does not look good.

Mr.Phoenix

This. Plus, already released games aren't magically going to run at higher FPS. Developers still need to go in and make changes.

Honestly, I think takes like these are just dumb.

A PS5pro existing does not mean that anything changes with whatever/however the rest of the life of the base PS5 would have been. So what is the harm?

It does not mean that devs have to spend extra months pushing out a PS5pro version at the expense of the base PS5, so whats the issue?

It does not mean that you have a gun to your head to buy it... so I for the life of me, cannot understand why anyone would have an issue with having the "OPTION" to spend $100/$200 more to get the absolute best PS5 gaming experience possible.

Like do you guys realize how stupid or egotistical it is to have an issue with something like this existing?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Bullshit. Horizon was a showcase title for it and one of Cerny's big checkerboarding examples.
Horizon released 5 months after the Pro. If that's a 'heavy hitter at launch' we may as well move the goal posts all the way and say things like PS4 won the generation because it launched with Spiderman.

Anyway Cerny's presentation spotlighted 3rd parties more than 1st - and with good reason - 1st party stuff shown on stage was months or years away. Actually in London he did spend a lot of time with GT and even brought Kaz on stage for it - but that was entirely focused on HDR, benefits of Pro were practically not mentioned in that segment.

onQ123

Nothing here

When do you think the PlayStation 5 Pro will be released? Let us know in the comments below!

Creating your own Segway into an article is nasty lol

Top Bottom