• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Scott says goodbye

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
107247170-16851027612023-05-25t223553z_300889179_rc2v51auo53j_rtrmadp_0_usa-election-scott.jpeg

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Loved much of his stuff. Especially the bit on the most dangerous stretch of water in England.

winjer

Gold Member
I've been watching his videos for many years.
The first time I saw anything on him was on a Computerphile video he made for that channel.

Then I subscribed to Tom Scott's channel, and watched all his videos.
It's one of the very rare youtubers that makes quality, interesting, fun videos. Always worth watching and learning something new.

Tieno

I've been watching his videos for many years.
The first time I saw anything on him was on a Computerphile video he made for that channel.

Then I subscribed to Tom Scott's channel, and watched all his videos.
It's one of the very rare youtubers that makes quality, interesting, fun videos. Always worth watching and learning something new.

Yeah, that's an excellent one. It changed my mind. Another great one, is the one on Time and Timezones:
Binged on a lot of computerphile stuff and then also subbed to Tom Scott. Excellent and interesting videos.

winjer

Gold Member
Yeah, that's an excellent one. It changed my mind. Another great one, is the one on Time and Timezones:
Binged on a lot of computerphile stuff and then also subbed to Tom Scott. Excellent and interesting videos.

This is one of my favorite videos of his. Very informative as an introduction to general copyright law.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Always entertaining videos. I've enjoyed a lot of them. He's also been on Only Connect which is pretty awesome.

Why are you posting in this topic?

So weird how many people on here think their job is to sneer at things. Really drags the place down.

On topic, a shame to hear how much Tom says his work has cut into his ability to have a life, and as noted by Tieno Tieno , he does feel like a broadcaster from a different era, to some degree. Hopefully his success will inspire others to do similarly interesting, intelligent things.

Last edited:

Tieno

This is one of my favorite videos of his. Very informative as an introduction to general copyright law.

That's an amazing one, absolutely one of his best. The effort and insight he provides, especially in this video is fantastic.

This is another one that spoke to my heart, it made me proud that I'm in the same species as the engineers that built and maintain this.

mitch1971

Gold Member
Tom does great videos.

You might want to skip to the end on this one after he reveals the premise.

Last edited:

Tams

A shame as he's one of the last of the breed of YouTubers who don't excessively pander to the algorithm and aren't over the top zany.

But a decade is a long time and I'm sure he's made a very decent amount to move in with. Not to mention all the experiences he's had!

There are few good YouTubers left though. I think I'm now down to three that I go out of my way to watch.

Fbh

Dude is great, a lot of his videos are fun and informative.

While it's a shame he will no longer be uploading stuff regularly, I'm happy for him if he can take a break and maybe find something new to work on. Doing the same stuff for 10 years and never missing a week must be quite exhausting

Trilobit

For those who can't be bothered to watch a video of a man walking here's an AI summary:

A Youtuber with a decade-long history of producing weekly videos reflects on the journey and announces a break from the regular schedule. Starting in 1999, he began publishing videos in 2014, consistently delivering content while experimenting with different formats. He faced challenges and briefly considered burnout but remained committed to weekly posts. After ten years, he feels compelled to take a break to focus on personal relationships and external activities. Despite ending his weekly series, he'll continue certain projects and may return with new experiments. Expressing gratitude for his audience's support, he takes a sentimental look back at the milestone and cherished memories.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
The fact that he made these high quality videos every week for 10 years straight is one heck of an achievement and I don't blame him for taking a step back. Hopefully he's not gone permanently and decides to produce more of these videos every once in a while.

Tams

Which ones?

Colin Furze, Mr Mobile, and Ordinary Things.

I actually got it wrong. I watch anything Jay Foreman/Map Men upload. But that's very infrequent.

There are a few others like MobileTechReview, Dogen, and Brad Colbow, that I'll watch if I see their videos pop up, but I don't keep track of them.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Colin Furze, Mr Mobile, and Ordinary Things.

I actually got it wrong. I watch anything Jay Foreman/Map Men upload. But that's very infrequent.

There are a few others like MobileTechReview, Dogen, and Brad Colbow, that I'll watch if I see their videos pop up, but I don't keep track of them.
Thanks, I don't know any of them, will check them out!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Godspeed sir. I’ve seen his stuff on and off over the years. Very informative and well made. Has a bbc documentary feel to it.

What’s annoying is some drivel can get millions of views and his stuff well made etc is just middling.

But yeah if he needs a rest he should rest.

Drake

damn, is he actually quitting? I remember he was doing a countdown and he was going to take an extended break, but I didn't think he was gonna quit all together.

Tams

damn, is he actually quitting? I remember he was doing a countdown and he was going to take an extended break, but I didn't think he was gonna quit all together.

You could watch the video or something. Novel idea, I know.

dave_d

Damn, this reminds me if he's quitting I probably should go back and see what videos zefrank1 is doing.

Radioskugga

Never heard of him before. But now I've seen two of his videos and will probably watch more.
Better late than never. :)

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Most are aware I can't stand YouTubers (or internet personalities by an large as a whole). However, I did watch his channel for sometime. They were informative and he never made himself that cliché 'content producer' but sorta shifted into documentary. I'm sure it's a team of people that went into making his videos (especially the scripting being very spot-on) and a decent personality to go with it. It's actually great that he knew to move on before his channel could sink as has happened with many of those 10-million + YouTubers (especially those with no exit strategy and desperately cling to pumping out clickbait to save their channels).

First video I saw of his which he never took down has to be one of (if not) his first and I didn't even know who he was back then. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom