• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tommy Ramone dead at 65

Status
Not open for further replies.
RIP if true.

There is word late Friday night that Tommy Ramone, the last living original member of punk legends the Ramones, has died.

Born Erdélyi Tamás and also known as Thomas Erdelyi, he was 62 years old. We’re still waiting on further confirmation, but some reports say he was currently in hospice care for cancer treatment and died Friday afternoon at his Ridgewood, Queens, home.

Tommy Ramone drummed for the Ramones from 1974 to 1978, including on the New York band’s iconic 1976 debut album.

In passing, he joins Joey Ramone (who died in 2001), guitarist Johnny Ramone (2004), and bassist Dee Dee Ramone (2002) in an afterlife reunion. In 2002, all four original members and surviving drummer Marky Ramone were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

http://www.vanyaland.com/2014/07/11/r-p-tommy-ramone-1952-2014-last-living-original-member-ramones/

kirby_fox

Banned
May he RIP.

I didn't realize they had all died. I still remember their Simpsons appearance singing Happy B-day to Mr. Burns.

I guess that was a lot longer ago than I recall...

I got to see the ramones a few times.

At one show my friend jumped on stage and stole the baseball bat used as a prop during "beat on the brat". It was hilarious. He knocked a guy in the head accidentally when jumping off the stage and said he was sorry. The guy said it is ok, you got the bat. But the caught him took the bat back and tossed him out of the show.

RIP Ramones.

gdt

Holy shit man. This is awful. BTW, he stayed very close with the band the entire time, even produced some of their records after he left. It was an amicable split and he still was very much part of the process.

I have a few Ramones books that I bought in high school. IIRC, he left the band cause he didn't want to tour anymore, but still wanted to help make the music as a producer with them.

I'm a huge Ramones fan. Genius songwriters there.

OnPoint

Even as someone who didn't particularly enjoy their catalog, I know a few bands I'm into (and maybe some I'm even not aware of) were heavily influenced by them.

RIP Tommy, and thanks.

xbhaskarx

Marky is still around though, and most people are probably more familiar with him as the drummer (plus he played with Richard Hell & the Voidoids and The Misfits), but any case my favorite song from The Ramones' debut album is definitely Judy is a Punk, with Tommy on drums and providing backing vocals:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6GAGdBiJF0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom