• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

Cheers, what makes it different from the original? better production?

Here, I wrote up something to a friend about this actually earlier in the week.

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the FMA franchise. The original anime (called Full Metal Alchemist) starts off following the manga material, but after ~25 episodes or so, breaks away from that in anime "filler". Even before the break off point there's some interjected "filler" episodes.

Now, almost everywhere filler is considered poor quality and worthless. However, FMA is often considered the one exception where the filler is actually quite interesting and enjoyable. Many even consider it better than the original manga author's material. Not everybody though, obviously.

FMAB strictly follows the manga plot. The issue is it retreads the first ~25 episodes of FMA in about ~11 episodes in FMAB (as that was before the break off point, the storyline is the same). This leads to a very rushed pace. It makes sense that'd they didn't want to spend too much time on the same storylines but that alone makes it a questionable decision to START with FMAB when you're new to the series.

The end result are two good, but /different/ shows. FMA vs FMAB is a pretty consistent fanbase war. Definitely best to watch in order. Just realize that the tonalities of the shows are not the same. Generally speaking, the original is more somber, FMAB is more playful.

Personally, I'm a fan of both for different reasons, and I am critical of both for different reasons.

Hope that helps.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Labeling FMA '03, or Soul Eater, or Blue Exorcist as filler isn't using the term properly. It's more accurate to call it a divergent plot.

daveo42

Banned
Nice dream

tumblr_lr8rxgKl5Z1qb9j3to1_500.png

It more closely follows the manga comic from which it was adapted. Production values are roughly the same to my memory.

The original anime around the time of Hughe's death goes in a different direction in terms of story and characters from the original manga source material and is by most considered to be inferior to the actual manga story. Brotherhood basically uses the first 10 episodes to quickly recap the original series up to that point, and then continues to follow the manga. The story has a much tighter feel and builds more naturally, the themes are tied together better, and overall it's just a superior series.

Production might actually be FMA '03's only definitive advantage over Brotherhood. People prefer the story in Brotherhood.

Here, I wrote up something to a friend about this actually earlier in the week.

Cheers all, I never followed the managa so didn't know there was filler in the original series. Think i will try and get my hands on Brotherhood. Thanks for the help :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom