• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JunJul16| You Thought It Was Dragon Ball Super, But It Was ME, DIO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69jdYHc0JpGeSxQ

WVW69jdaWbYmR6ml9B

LATER

Line_HTX

Mariachi band playing Sound of Silence for Vegeta.

Kudelia with a disgusted LEGIT SHOOK face.

You need a less creepy way of trying to earn a living by not being a Hunter!

Nice KOF avatar, SAB CA. *Iori Yagami '97 laugh

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone. Pretty good night.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
Perfect Cell is here! Krillin gets wrecked hard (but not completely, he has died twice before) and Vegeta gets a major blow to his overbloated pride when Cell ends being too stronk. Also Trunks gets the idiot ball this time when he refuses to power up past Vegeta because of said pride. Quit being idiots!

One Punch Man:
Into the House of Evolution! With that beastly Carnage Kabuto. A monster so powerful that even Saitama seems worried that he can't be- oh wait he's just realizing he's missing a big sale at the grocery store. This is one of the gags that makes One Punch Man remind me of Megas XLR. Showing once again that XLR was way too ahead of its time.

Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans:
Tekkadan looks to ally themselves with the mafia, after scaring the asshole that "raised" them before. Orga learns the importance of "nakama". Oh and an actual unironic harem in anime. Hm...

Hunter x Hunter:
For the fourth phase of the Hunter Exam, here's some actual hunting! Find your target and get their badge, through any means necessary. Gon unfortunately got stuck with Hisoka and has to master using his fishing pole at the right time, and to watch out for the guy hunting him.

Naruto Shippuden:
Time to go after Crispin Freeman. I guess...

One Piece:
Time to storm the castle! Get Luffy revved up and set Sanji on fire!
Oh shit, Oars is here.

ckohler

Dragon Ball Z: Kai - I liked Gohan's super sayian mullet. He should keep it. However, asking Goku to go all out is probably not the smartest thing to do... especially if you are his son! Krillin deserved to get smoked by Cell at this point. I never understood how strong the Destructo Disc is supposed to be so I guess that it did nothing was a big deal. At least he realized that Super Vegetable is a super scrub compared to Trunks and Mr. Perfect. Oh how I love watching cocky Vegeta get his ego pummeled.
Rating: Spooky

Dreams Video - Pretty damn cool. They took those classic kids inspirational videos and created one for adults. I dug Tom's "you gotta handle that business" line. The editing and clips chosen were really good. I especially liked how it ended with the "Toonami" logo over that shot of the spaceship launching. Great vid.

One Punch Man - It's funny how in these early episodes they really go far to build up these villain backstories. Was the House of Evolution where EVO 2016 took place? Jobos, er, I mean Genos, blows up the building, gets wrecked, and then gets an afro. Luffy would be proud. And the secret to Saitama's ultimate power? Normal athletic training!! Seriously though, I think some of the humor isn't landing well. Some stuff, like the second half of this episode was great but the beginning stuff was cringe. I can't tell if it's the voice direction or the actors. English Saitama works well when he's not just being monotone. Genos also needs to find his voice. Hopefully they'll both improve as the series goes on. Every other character is great, btw.
Rating: Bad(ass) Modern Art

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans - The ToonamiGAF Podcast spoiled me on this guy literally having a harem. I thought they were just kidding but nope.. he straight up is banging all those chicks. Damn. I'm really not sure how to feel about that. This episode was clearly about "family"... both with friends and harems! Regardless, this show continues to be entertaining and has great dialog even if I do enjoy poking fun at it (although not as much as Naze enjoys "poking fun", if you know what I mean).
Rating: Hot and Bothered

Hunter x Hunter - Everyone draws lots to decide who kills who. Kara sure is a sweetie. She's basically the Nurse Joy who ferries crazies to certain death. The training montage with Gon felt boring and unnecessary. Besides, I would have figured he'd have at least known the basics of "hunting" before he started. On the flip side, I really enjoy his and Killua's friendship. This show continues to entertain. Let the Hunger X Hunger Games begin! (c) Shard.
Rating: ^_^

Naruto: Shippuden - I'll admit I was only half watching this episode but can someone explain to me why that whole "sealing ritual" is supposed to be and accomplish? I have no idea what's going on there. Also, we got more ninja holograms which makes me laugh. If they can do this, why even bother sending scrolls? The only highlight of the episode for me was Tobi. He's humorous. We get to see more of the "perfect squad" annoying each other while the Leaf squads get prepared to job. Translating "Nekobaa" into "Granny Cat" was stupid but probably the least of this show's mistakes.
Rating: Meow

One Piece - Recap Piece does get annoying each week. It's not as bad in a marathon when you can just skip the first five minutes of every episode. However, I do like that everything is now in motion. The Straw Hats are splitting up to take on their respective baddies and the baddies are finally engaged to stop them (aside from Moria who's just bored). Suddenly, Oars mixes them by destroying the bridge! Yes folks, we're finally at the point in the arc where the battles begin! My favorite one begins next week. I honestly feel we're past the bad parts of this arc and things just get more entertaining going forward. Look forward to it!
Rating: Cindry is Salty

Seda

Naruto: Shippuden - I'll admit I was only half watching this episode but can someone explain to me why that whole "sealing ritual" is supposed to be and accomplish? I have no idea what's going on there.

There was an episode in the Immortals Arc dedicate to this. Essentially, the Akatsuki are collecting the 9 tailed beasts to use them as weapons, and I suppose that nine-eyed statue is a way to isolate them. They would work effectively as nukes. Basically as a way to keep peace through intimidation and firepower - and for the ultimate end goal: "world domination" (Pain actually said this, lol)

(if there's more to this revealed later, I don't know about it)

Honestly, I really dislike 'nukes' as a story element. One Piece's larger context involves them too, which is a bummer.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There was an episode in the Immortals Arc dedicate to this. Essentially, the Akatsuki are collecting the 9 tailed beasts to use them as weapons, and I suppose that nine-eyed statue is a way to isolate them. They would work effectively as nukes. Basically as a way to keep peace through intimidation and firepower - and for the ultimate end goal: "world domination" (Pain actually said this, lol)

(if there's more to this revealed later, I don't know about it)

Pretty much this.
There's actually a twist on this later on, that, if done better, could have been pretty good.

Honestly, I really dislike 'nukes' as a story element. One Piece's larger context involves them too, which is a bummer.

I think I know what you're referring too and they aren't what you think they are right now.

Seda

I think I know what you're referring too and they aren't what you think they are right now.

Well, the entire Alabasta Arc and W7/EL arcs basically had Pluton as the backdrop for why anything was happening (Robin is dangerous because she can read the blueprints or Poneglyphs or whatnot).

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, the entire Alabasta Arc and W7/EL arcs basically had Pluton as the backdrop for why anything was happening (Robin is dangerous because she can read the blueprints or Poneglyphs or whatnot).

Right, that's what I thought you were referring too. Their nature is likely a little different than what you're imagining though.

The blueprints were made by Tom so that if it came to it they could stand against Pluton and the two other weapons by using a super powerful ship. The weapons can only be found by reading the right ponyglyphs, which is part of why Robin is hunted the way she is.

I can't really get into it anymore without spoilers though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Gotta love how the writers immediately shotdown the possibility of any of the Tekkadan guys getting paired off with them.

I'm happy there won't be any pairing off, but they could have given them all families on Earth or made them all lesbians or some combination of the two. The way they did it was just pure fanservice and killed that supposedly heartwarming moment in the nursery. It could have been a nursery for the single moms on the ship, but no it had to be a harem.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Right, that's what I thought you were referring too. Their nature is likely a little different than what you're imagining though.

The blueprints were made by Tom so that if it came to it they could stand against Pluton and the two other weapons by using a super powerful ship. The weapons can only be found by reading the right ponyglyphs, which is part of why Robin is hunted the way she is.

I can't really get into it anymore without spoilers though.

As already established though reading ponyglyphs to find the ancient weapons is just a side effect of the real reason Robin's island was annihilated and why they put such a high bounty on a little child. The real thing the ponyglyphs reveal is the truth of what happened in the void century.

Hell Robin did most likely find the ponyglyph that shows where Pluton was waay back in Alabasta, at least that's what she told Vivi's dad (and what he always believed as well, without being able to read it) and she was disappointed as hell that was the only thing on it.

ckohler

Gotta love how the writers immediately shotdown the possibility of any of the Tekkadan guys getting paired off with them.

I kinda got the impression twin-tails was hitting on Mikasuki. Although, I also get the impression that she's hitting on everyone, especially the girl with light purple hair.

Man Pokemon GO just tanked hard in the last 24 hours, what an idiot update to make.

Damn, oh well I really wanted to see where P2P battling and trading was gonna be like but by the time that gets implemented the game will be treated like a plague. =\

Yes how dare they remove foot prints in the tracker that haven't worked since day 3. Clearly leaving in the broken mechanic was the better solution the illusion of it working was better then the reality of it not working.

Yes how dare they remove foot prints in the tracker that haven't worked since day 3. Clearly leaving in the broken mechanic was the better solution the illusion of it working was better then the reality of it not working.

Yeah it did need to be fixed but maybe their was a better solution then its full removal, but damage is done at this point.

EDIT: adding to this, theirs 2 other factors adding to these flames:
~C&D'ing all Pokeradar-type sites and apps
~Vaporeon getting a huge nerf along with other pokemon stats.

I gotta agree with Bass on this one. It never did help me track Pokemon down but I've been fine without it. I'll be glad if or when it comes back and it actually works for me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Back to your regular avatar eh? Was hoping you'd stick with Ganonderp a little while longer.

Nah, the deal is sometime after the 20th of the month I get bored and ask someone in this thread for an avatar. Usually I got a character from blahblahgatari, but not this time.

I think this month I'll do a 24 hour whomever has the best avatar submission instead of the first one. I think I'll go the 21st until September 1st.

zulux21

....oh....OOH....OOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH....

I think I know of a "moment" that happens next week thanks to Pirate Warriors 2 or 3.
enjoy that episode, it's usopp's last great moment until an episode around 700 or so >.>

note: great moments are subjective thus I don't consider this a spoiler :p

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Usopp is (very mild spoilers ahead)
more or less the main character until autumn arrives. With an episode here and there featuring Luffy/Sanji/Zoro.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Mariachi band playing Sound of Silence for Vegeta.

Kudelia with a disgusted LEGIT SHOOK face.

You need a less creepy way of trying to earn a living by not being a Hunter!

Nice KOF avatar, SAB CA. *Iori Yagami '97 laugh

Was a fun night of Toonami, ha. I loved how Kudelia's look was probably matching with much of the audience at the Harem reveal, lol.

I still have a hard time believing people come back year-after-year to take the Hunter exam. "In this test, you can lose, get angry, kill 3 people, and then get the badge of your rival mark in order to win!" And this is really something one puts up with year-over-year?

Glad you like the Avatar :) Card Fighter style stuff is fun to make! Thanks!

Vegeta has the face of a man who's about to get reacquainted with his favorite spot: the ground.
Seriously, DBZ characters should have a dirt phobia, considering how far into the earth they get pounded. And Vegeta's even been buried!

HAHAHAHAHA

All those babbys kissing their harem moms. Perfect sketch.

Glad it lived up to your expectations!
especially since I took a bit longer to finish it
I actually kinda liked that this Harem seemed to get along well. I think the more generic route would have been to show obvious animosity between the participants, but that was seriously downplayed.

This really didn't bother me. I don't think Tekkadan seems like a group of guys who should really care about pairings and relationships right now. This is totally a bromance show ATM, and even Minazuki's romantic interest seem to be pushing their interest somewhat in a single direction, with him being very awkward in showing how he feel back.

I'm happy there won't be any pairing off, but they could have given them all families on Earth or made them all lesbians or some combination of the two. The way they did it was just pure fanservice and killed that supposedly heartwarming moment in the nursery. It could have been a nursery for the single moms on the ship, but no it had to be a harem.

Making them all lesbians would have been more fanservicey to me, honestly. And they didn't play them up as a bunch of sexfiends (except maybe kinda of Amida), they actually treat them like a different, but genuine extended family. It actually matches up better with Tekkaden (a weird mix of "brothers"), than having a their family example as something more usual.

Gotta Protectors is my indie game of the year.

Protect Me Knight was a solid standout for me on XBLIG, and I thought they did a great job of showing how "simple" gameplay can be full of meaningful depth.

I'm really enjoying Grand Kingdom on PS4 myself, I get more appreciation for how deep and different a game it is almost every time I play it. Givin' me those vibes I loved from Dragon Force and Brigadine, which I never really get from anything more recent.

Yeah it did need to be fixed but maybe their was a better solution then its full removal, but damage is done at this point.

EDIT: adding to this, theirs 2 other factors adding to these flames:
~C&D'ing all Pokeradar-type sites and apps
~Vaporeon getting a huge nerf along with other pokemon stats.

Knowing where the 5 pidgey and 3 rattata around me were didn't add much to the experience either. The only good mons I find are hatched from eggs or at lured pokestops. Go works at its best when you can walk around a city or park with tons of stops occasionally resting at lured stops ideally where a few overlap. I don't work for niantic nor do I have insider info but I'll make a wild guess they plan to fix the tracking mechanic and reinsert it into the game once it actually works and doesn't just make the server even slower for no reason. The game is clearly still in an open beta since a good chunk of actually needed content like trading, raids, and pvp haven't been implemented yet, tracking really is fairly low on what pokemon go needs to add/fix.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Making them all lesbians would have been more fanservicey to me, honestly. And they didn't play them up as a bunch of sexfiends (except maybe kinda of Amida), they actually treat them like a different, but genuine extended family. It actually matches up better with Tekkaden (a weird mix of "brothers"), than having a their family example as something more usual.

I mean, he's literally sleeping with all of them. That feels like it can't get much more fanservice-y. Had he treated them all like sisters instead of wives then it would match up well, but as it's currently done all I can think is this guy is the end result of some harem romcom where the writer couldn't make up his mind.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yay! I like when each show gets it's own drawing/rectangle versus just one big collage. :) My only critique is where's the One Piece love?

Thanks to the block being SO FRONT LOADED WITH NEW STUFF, I end up doing a lot of the drawing in the "Rerun Block" time lately. Which not only means I'm normally Sk'dumping during One Piece, but I also barely have any idea of what happened during One Piece, lol.

At times like this, my plan is usually to show One Piece some love for the cover of the NEXT week... But I also like to use that spot to show love to premiere shows. And we've got a bunch of those now, too!

Got a new pixel-drawing program on WII-U that actually has fancy stuff like LAYERS, non-laggy resizing of the entire canvas, and good copy and paste stuff, and that has let me do some faster color stuff these past two or so weeks. Though it's straight-line drawing tools leave something to be desired...

The One Punch Man Cover from this week only took me like... 30 min, when something like that would have taken longer in art academy (especially since hard color fills in that program take ages. No fill button there! No layers either! Eesh.)

If I remember come next Saturday, I'll Get to the sale at the Grocery store! YES at least try to get Oars or [stike]Full body Diable Jambe?[/s] Moero Sanji onto the cover...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom