• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zlCfzRqkAxccZpCoqH

zlCfzRqkAxccZpCoqH

zlCfzRqloqgLpAupa9
zlCfzRqmREcovKqOF0

zlCfzRqm06w8QJ7Aw9
zlCfzRqnQAMxCi-rf7

zlCfzRqpKP8Y9k4JO7

zlCfzRqp2vs4fwh4RM
zlCfzRqqd5wAI-5ihh

zlCfzRqq2O8eye6e4v

LATER.

Seda

Going to write some things because I need to stay awake and it'll occupy my mind:

Space Dandy
-This was probably the most consistently humorous traditional episode yet. Perhaps not as clever as the zombie episode or not as 'out there' as the book episode, but I enjoyed it a lot. QT stole the episode with his new found love for fishing and the quiz show. I've been enjoying the recent episodes moreso than the few half-I'm not sure if that's indicative of quality or if I've just gotten used to the tone and know how to set my expectations.

Bleach
-The previous episode(s) sort of gave away Kageroza's backstory already. Even though it may have not been said outright, it wasn't difficult to put together. So watching Kisuke looking for clues with Kon nagging him, and then subsequentially having Kisuke explain what he was just doing, it dragged. I suppose watching him own not-SoiFon was somewhat amusing

Naruto Shippuden
-What even happened? Granny joins them and explains the tailed beasts. Definitely the slowest show on the block right now.

One Piece
-Like the two shows before it, One Piece had a lot of dialogue. However, although I probably can't articulate it very well, it was easily more watchable. I didn't care for Franky much until this episode, where we see a more genuine side to him as he listens to Usopp's story. Franky's trait seems to be that he's overly emotional, which fits the show, but it also emphasized the fact that he actually did care about what Usopp had to say. He also took the time to take him to a safe place and also explained some about the city. It was a good mix of silliness and character building that I think make it more interesting to watch than a simple exposition dump. Oh, and the CP9 guys are super strong. At this point they are a little boring but I figure they'll be around a while yet.

Blue Exorcist
-Ryugi is better than moeblob (at least his goal makes sense to place him in the show) and I suppose having a hardworking, smart, but hot-headed character is a tad different, but this rivalry the developed seems really silly to me. 'I'm going to be the one to kill Satan!'. Its seems like such a specific yet lofty thing to put tension between the two characters. Feels unnatural and corny. Otherwise As I've said the last few weeks, I still think the show is somehow enjoyable even if it's only because it's easy to poke fun at.

Black Lagoon
-Wow. I mean, I kind of knew what to expect based on the commentary and previews and some linked videos, but I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Part of it is that I think I've been craving this type of show for a while (after watching so much shonen on the block), but it's not just that. It's not just the language and the bleeps and the violence. The characters bounce off each other really well, the back and forths feel natural. The main character's predicament is enough to feel a little sympathetic for him, and his reactions are totally believable without being too overbearing on the "why meeeee" chatter. The voice acting is pretty good, and the episode was also paced well, nothing seemed to drag. We've already gotten a little look into each main character: Dutch can be intimidating when he needs to be, and he's seemingly knowledgeable, but also can show a more compassionate side as shown when he took Rock for a smoke. Revy is clearly the least well mannered, and does most the shooting and cursing. She did say briefly she felt sympathetic towards Rock's situation, which I assume is a brief clue about her past. Benny we learned the least about, but already it seems he balances Dutch and Revy by being more of the support/utility team member and more laid back. There was a lot of action too, and surprisingly, it didn't feel rushed either. On top of all that, there's enough mystery with the nuke plans and the Japanese company and the mercenaries to underlay all the immediate happenings. This is the first show on Toonami I'm going to have to stop myself from marathonning the rest prematurely.

GitS
-Togusa is easily my favorite character on the show, so of course I enjoyed this episode. It's interesting to see this hypothetical situation about an 'incurable' disease mixed in with business politics and corruption. Interested to see how exactly this fits in with the laughing man. Togusa ;_;.

I watched the rest but I don't have much to say. I generally enjoyed Samurai Jack and Clone Wars, not so much SymBionic Titan. I think the FMA:B episode was solid, probably one of the better early episodes despite the Elrics being a little angsty.

Well my family woke me up being loud, but I generally agree with everything Seda said minus the fact I misses the second half of jack through the end. Probably won't have time to see it today (have to help my sister get her furniture in a moving truck then go to work) but I'll catch up tomorrow (yeah day off)

bigkrev

This week, on what is apparently BLue Exorcist

So tsundere, Rin.

These guys just need to fuck their anger off on each other

You can cut the sexual tension with a knife

Eye fucking intensifies

Just kiss already.

Just fuck already!

Jesus, just fuck already

otp otp otp

YOU TWO, JUST FUCK ALREADY!

Get a room.

Now kiss.

IT'S NOT LIKE I LIKE YOU OR ANYTHING BAKA!

Oh I am already writing my fanfiction for these two.

OTP

it's happening

What a cute couple.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I got woken up by a loud family as well (+ my dog, dad's girlfriend, her dog, & 2 of her 3 kids), but at least I have the house to myself for studying for my java programming exam & information systems.

So yeah, Black Lagoon was rather cool. Think it's the fact it's a nice change in pace compared to some of the other shows we've gotten over the years & it feels like a great fit for Toonami, especially now that it's "grown up". Can't wait to see where this goes, & counting the swears/beeps is rather fun as well.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Gooooooooooooood morning everyone. That was one hell of a night.

Space Dandy
Amazing episode. Lots of great scenes and an ending right out of the Twilight Zone. QT is still adorable.

Bleach
How is there still 5 episodes? What the Bleach filler team should have done is make a bunch of short arcs instead of one long one. It's no wonder the anime was cancelled.

Shippuden
How much of the series is just the characters jumping through trees dumping exposition? Tarzan didn't have this many scenes of going through trees. Also, I don't know how but they made impending fights with Itachi and Kisame seem boring. What a feat...

One Piece
So yeah, Lucci is a powerhouse. Along with the Six Powers he got through extensive training, he has a strong Devil Fruit. Franky continues to be Super!

Blue Exorcist
Yeaaaah I'm starting to see why this show is so popular. :dtl
Like I said though, the manga does eventually get good. Sadly, the anime doesn't reach that point. I believe the divergence point begins at Episode 15, not as long as Soul Eater (granted the series is only 25 episodes, not 51)

Black Lagoon
Wow, that was a ton of fun. Revy is god damn hot, and there was not a single boring moment.

Any word from DeMarco on why the full opening and ending played? That was weird.

bigkrev

So I just went to [a popular yaoi doujin website], and there were not that many doujins, compared to titans like Free and Digimon

So.. I went back and looked up the series by it's JPN name "Ao no Exorcist".... 122(!) doujins.

So yes, the fujoushi army has shown its support

Traveling and on phone and can't write out too my but this weeks "shows I actually watched" was pretty good or at least enjoyable. I'd have to agree with most of what Seda said, thought I think you can afford to be a little angst when you've been broken in half and nearly killed

789shadow

Banned
Black Lagoon
Space Dandy
One Piece
Samurai Jack
Blue Exorcist
Bleach/Naruto Shippuden (deciding which of these is the worst each week is veeeery difficult.)

Tamanon

Banned
My personal list:

Space Dandy
Black Lagoon
Blue Exorcist
Bleach
One Piece
Shippuden

Space Dandy was great, I'm really getting a Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy feel to it. Black Lagoon was fun, a definite change of pace show. Blue Exorcist is improving, although we're still in character introduction mode. Bleach was ok, a little too much Kon, but seeing Kisuke fight is always a rarity and always worth it. One Piece was alright, but that devil fruit was pretty dumb looking, the art is the main thing holding me back on the show. Shippuden wasn't terrible, but the "flying" through the forest really needs to stop.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Wow, here's some "playing against type". Revy's Japanese voice actor (Megumi Toyoguchi) is also the voice of Winry in FMA 2003 and Dawn/Hikari in Pokemon Diamond & Pearl.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
*pre emptively shoots self*

Great stuff SAB. The best pic by far is Sym-Bionic Inuyasha.

Later u guys.

I love it when those late-night ideas come together, haha.

*RAWR* Given some of the things that happento Luffy regarding powers later on... I could see such a thing actually happening, haha.

I loved how Togusa's wife got up, and you expect the big "Something happened to my husband!" moment, and instead, she's just "Hm. Raining!" Shot men are normal street decoration in GiTS.

So yeah, Black Lagoon was rather cool. Think it's the fact it's a nice change in pace compared to some of the other shows we've gotten over the years & it feels like a great fit for Toonami, especially now that it's "grown up". Can't wait to see where this goes, & counting the swears/beeps is rather fun as well.

Even if sweary-heavy stuff ain't generally my thing, it does feel like a nice addition to Modern Toonami, and their personalities actually felt pretty well-rounded. Rock Yagami wasn't nearly as wimpy as he could be, Revy actually has some humanity behind her murderous ways, and Dutch is nice to see as a nice mix of brains and brawn. Benny is *there*, but he helps prove that the Lagoon is filled with more than simply hardened fighters.

Good stuff . Rock has rock face and Lucci looks adorable. :D

Glad the "Rock" face got through, rather than "SAB just dun care about drawin' dudes", hehe. Modwl Wepoard! I think OctusDad might have said that on SBT last night actually...

Awesome stuff SAB as always

And for Tamanon and others who are sick of Shippuden shots of people flying through the trees with no animation... Yeah we're never getting away from this :(

Thanks! I never really felt that annoyed by tree-travel before, but it is sticking out more lately. Imagine if real world Oba-san like Chiyu really got around by tree-leaping... "I can't wait to get old so I can do that too!"

Great! I'm really loving Might Gai's expression and the Blue exorcist one is really great too. I think those are my favorite.

Glad Gai Gets... G word for "noticed. ;-) Blue Exorcist was fun to draw, and the first pic I've done of the show without some blue color element! *shokku*!

Space Dandy
Black Lagoon
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Samurai Jack
One Piece
FMA Brotherhood
Blue Exorcist
Sym-Bionic Titan
Naruto Shippuden
Bleach

this was the funniest Space Dandy episode yet, but i think it gets slightly edged out by the zombie episode just for creativity's sake as far as the best one goes.

Kon is the worst character on this block and this episode of Bleach seemed to make him even more insufferable; i think the most notable thing here was that the filler writers remember Kukaku Shiba. Shippuden went back to being slow and horrible again this week after picking up just a little bit previously, so color me disappointed. this hour of the block continues to be a joke; i really want something in between Bleach and Shippuden to break up the monotony.

with One Piece, i'm kind of fatigued about being in that room, so while getting out of it and burning the whole place to the ground is definitely progress, it kinda feels like it's too late at this point. i dunno. the Franky/Usopp scenes were great, though.

Blue Exorcist continues to do precisely nothing interesting or unique. i mean, it's watchable, and even enjoyable at times, but it's also surprising that it's written by just one person instead of several people in suits after they just got done with some focus testing.

if Black Lagoon had to survive solely on the strength of its character interactions, it'd still be pretty damn great. but it's got action and a decent plot, too. i just think the corporate scenes got a little too talky for what really wasn't all that complicated, but then it was also 2am.

Brotherhood remains inferior with none of the same impact as the original thus far. not as bad as last week, though, which decidedly to artificially heighten the drama with Tucker going nuts and screaming at Ed.

Samurai Jack and Sym-Bionic Titan are both noticeably the works of Genndy Tartakovsky in that they lay stuff on pretty thick. but Jack can get away with it because it's a little more abstract (and also because it that fucking awesome bounty hunter fight); Titan is more grounded, so when you want to so obviously preach it comes across as much less forgivable. this episode of Titan tried to walk the line of taking its lesson seriously and making fun of it by dressing it up as an absurd children's show, but it veered way too far into taking it seriously and came across as incredibly forced and cringe-worthy. still infinitely more entertaining than Bleach and Naruto, though.

Clone Wars makes it hard for me to get excited about anything related to Grievous. he's been made so lame at this point that there's just no real tension with his character; he's going to run away. that's what he does. and there's only so many ways you can run away; even the completely plausible idea that they'd briefly capture him held no dramatic weight for me. on the other hand, the action scenes were GREAT. there's a pretty wide gap between this and Black Lagoon.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece
Black Lagoon
GITS:SAC
Space Dandy
Naruto
Star Wars:Clone Wars
FMA:Brotherhood
IGPX
Naruto Shippuden
Blue Exorcist
Samurai Jack
Symbionic Titan
Bleach

One of the best nights of TOONAMI ever. Bleach was the only real down note.

Moaradin

Space Dandy - was probably the funniest episode yet

Black Lagoon - I love this show guys. It's gonna be a crazy ride

One Piece - We're starting to see why Franky is best character

Blue Exorcist - I enjoyed it. It's a decent show and I don't turn my TV off when it's on, I
guess

Naruto Shippuden - zzzz

Bleach - zzzzzzzzzz

@gmn I'm pretty sure Ed's confrontation with Tucker is identical in the manga and in both anime adaptations, the only thing fma 03 does differently is have more scenes of nina hanging out with ed/al while he goes for his state license and changes the final scene of tucker being taken away while Nina wanders off and gets blasted by Scar. The actually scene in Tucker's lab is virtually identical and you could probably switch them and nobody would be none the wiser

@gmn I'm pretty sure Ed's confrontation with Tucker is identical in the manga and in both anime adaptations, the only thing fma 03 does differently is have more scenes of nina hanging out with ed/al while he goes for his state license and changes the final scene of tucker being taken away while Nina wanders off and gets blasted by Scar. The actually scene in Tucker's lab is virtually identical and you could probably switch them and nobody would be none the wiser

the difference between FMA03 and Brotherhood is "you're just like me" and "YOU'RE JUST LIKE MEEEEEEEEEE". i mean, yeah, he's nuts, but the way he flies right the hell off the handle is way less effective.

Seda

I still think Ed seeing Nina's corpse > Ed being told about it. I think I've emphasized enough that I quite like both shows so I'm not really trying to prop one up over the other.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
FMA 03 isn't even actually FMA, it's Bones Metal Alchemist, so it can't be better by default.

BONES deviating from the manga isn't always bad. See also: Ouran High School Host Club, also known as the best anime of all time.

789shadow

Banned
BONES deviating from the manga isn't always bad. See also: Ouran High School Host Club, also known as the best anime of all time.
But in this case they decided to give us FullMetal Angstemist, where every single person gets fucked over and the ending is Nazis.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Things I prefer in FMA '03

The animation
The coloring
The music
Al's Voice
Everything before they leave central
The Homonculi
Scar
Roy's pathos
The openings
The endings
The actual ending if you ignore Shamballa
Kimblee
Barry the Chopper

Things I prefer in Brotherhood:

Olivia and the Xingese.
Mister Ho.

789shadow

Banned

The animation
The coloring
The music
Al's Voice
The Homonculi
Scar
Roy's pathos
The openings
The endings
Kimblee
Barry the Chopper

Olivia and the Xingese.
Mister Ho.
Things Man God has that suck:

opinions

Moaradin

The animation
The coloring
The music
Al's Voice
The Homonculi
Scar
Roy's pathos
The openings
The endings
Kimblee
Barry the Chopper

Olivia and the Xingese.
Mister Ho.

I agree with a lot of that.

I would say I prefer 03 for everything up to hughes death. I'll take Brotherhood after the Xing characters are introduced. Although there are things I thought were done better in 03 like the Homonculi. General things like art, music, animation I prefer 03.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom