• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Mar14| No Time for Sissy Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things I prefer in FMA '03

The animation
The coloring
The music
Al's Voice
Everything before they leave central
The Homonculi
Scar
Roy's pathos
The openings
The endings
The actual ending if you ignore Shamballa
Kimblee
Barry the Chopper

Things I prefer in Brotherhood:

Olivia and the Xingese.
Mister Ho.

Can't argue animation, colors, or music cause that's all mostly taste, same with Al's voice (not a fan of either)

I can give mostly everything before they leave central because outside of filler here and there it's a better pace to the opening parts

The homonculi concept is good on paper in 03, but it creates problems with their naming convention, and 03 wrath is terrible and is not offset by how much better 03 lust is.

Scar I disagree with, but I've already discussed this with andrex before and we couldn't agree

Roy is so inconsistent in 03 I find that laughable

The ops/eds are a wash for me

Shamballa IS the ending though, without it FMa 03 still has a bad/unsatisfying ending

Kimblee was a wash for me, he's cool in both versions and gets a lame end in both versions

Barry is a wash for me, as a body of armor he's basically the same, the scenes of him as a human did nothing for me and make Al's reaction to Barry's "your life is a lie" shenanigans even dumber. Al knows Barry was a human before, he SAW Barry as a human, why the fuck does he buy his "you're probably not real lol" shtick

I agree with a lot of that.

I would say I prefer 03 for everything up to hughes death. I'll take Brotherhood after the Xing characters are introduced. Although there are things I thought were done better in 03 like the Homonculi. General things like art, music, animation I prefer 03.

So basically what you're saying is, the part fma:b rushes through to get to new content you prefer in fma 03 where it isn't rushed, but once the story splits brotherhood has a way better plot?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
doesn't Barry have a bigger role in Brotherhood.......?

It's different, that's for sure.

Bass that's exactly why I love '03 Barry, his crazy Jedi mind game he plays on Al! What if...AL WAS A PUPPET ALL ALONG! Maybe his memories of only a few months/years ago are also fabricated! He's a ghost in the shell!

Tamanon

Banned
I liked 03 more because it didn't turn into shounen with fight after fight after fight. Was refreshing IMO. Plus I liked the Lust plot more.

MikeMyers

Things I prefer in FMA '03

The animation
The coloring
The music
Al's Voice
Everything before they leave central
The Homonculi
Scar
Roy's pathos
The openings
The endings
The actual ending if you ignore Shamballa
Kimblee
Barry the Chopper

Things I prefer in Brotherhood:

Olivia and the Xingese.
Mister Ho.

Don't forget, Lust has a bigger role in FMA 03!

FMA03 is good off and on pretty much throughout, but after like episode 25 it only has like 4 episodes that are legitimately great (with only one being actually amazing), as opposed to like 8 (with 6 being amazing) before that.

ib0M9bNGwITbWL.gif

You guys are gonna need this for next week's Black Lagoon episode.

And the other episodes after that.

Moaradin

So basically what you're saying is, the part fma:b rushes through to get to new content you prefer in fma 03 where it isn't rushed, but once the story splits brotherhood has a way better plot?

Pretty much, but not to say that there weren't things I liked about FMA 03 when it went off the manga path. I really liked the Homonculi storyline throughout, especially Lust. And I did like the ending even though the execution wasn't the best.

And I really preferred the art and music of 03.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Don't forget, Lust has a bigger role in FMA 03!

Homunculi I prefer in 03.

Greed gets a way better shake as Greed. I do have to admit the Greed/Lin stuff at the end almost redeems his early exit, but not quite.
Lust is a thousand percent better.
Envy represents his emotion better, he's kinda not envious at all in FMA B
Sloth sucks in both versions, but at least Brotherhood's is slothful. Trisha Elric should have been Pride or Wrath. I do love the whole arc with her as a homonculi though, just not the name.
I love what happens to Gluttony in '03. He's developing certain feelings but then gets his mind blown away.

Also the real reason no matter how good Brotherhood is (and don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic show) the reason I will always prefer FMA '03; the dynamic between the two Elric brothers is much better. They're almost always together and the story never falters from their goal of restoring each other where that relationship is nowhere near as strong in the manga or the ironically named when you take this into consideration Brotherhood.

Seda

I don't mind that Lust in Brotherhood is
offed relatively early. It would be silly to save ALL the villains for end series showdowns. There's plenty there already.

So yes, while 03 Lust is certainly much more fleshed out, the two characters served pretty different purposes in their respective show and both filled the role suitably. One just called to be more one dimensional.

Since I missed Toonami on account of a shitty connection., I'm watching the episodes I missed.
I gotta say Black Lagoon is a fun fucking show to watch.
Loving the dialogue and the characters a lot so far.
The art & Animation looks great too.
Revy is amazing. nuff said.

Amikami

Banned
Since I missed Toonami on account of a shitty connection., I'm watching the episodes I missed.
I gotta say Black Lagoon is a fun fucking show to watch.
Loving the dialogue and the characters a lot so far.
The art & Animation looks great too.
Revi is amazing. nuff said.

Doesn't take much for Revy to already be my favorite character.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I still want a gif of Dandy in SERIOUS CONTEMPLATION
If Photobucket would actually work, I made two versions, with & without the silly pose after he makes the face. Might have to make the gif size (physically) smaller.

Edit: Nope, always reach about 90% uploaded before Photobucket says there's an error...

Tamanon

Banned
It didn't? Are you guys SURE you actually remember FMA 03?

Yes.

Of course there were fights, but it wasn't like the Brotherhood string of "another character arrived, the tide has turned!"

I greatly enjoyed Brotherhood, but they were completely different in tone.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If Photobucket would actually work, I made two versions, with & without the silly pose after he makes the face. Might have to make the gif size (physically) smaller.

Edit: Nope, always reach about 90% uploaded before Photobucket says there's an error...
photobucket is ass

use minus

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
OH, I see why it most likely doesn't upload. The shorter version is 10.7MB. Guess I need to get that knocked down a bit.

Edit: I'm done. I've tried resizing it, but still having uploading issues, I'm tired/not feeling well, & I should be studying, despite the constant noise from my dad, sis, & the 3 other kids that're here which make it next to impossible to let me read in peace. I'm sure someone will make a much better quality version within the week.

It didn't? Are you guys SURE you actually remember FMA 03?

Yeah of all the things to complain about fma 03 ending was almost nothing but fights. Heck fma/brotherhood compared to most other shonen manga/anime really don't have that many fights. Fma 03 even on occasion added a filler character to canon events just to add fight scenes to parts where there wasn't one (the mining town has the girl who eventually gets possessed by dante added to it, ed/al's return to the island adds 03 wrath)

Honestly one could argue fma 03 is more shonen esque then brotherhood because almost every Bones filler episode has some fight scene during the first half of the series when the fillers are all stand alone "another town has a rumor of a philosopher's stone". Yes Brotherhood ends with a big battle where everyone comes back for a big shonen throw down but FFS its the finale that's what should happen.

I like both and hate everything always being a pissing contest but if I had to pick a side it's got to be FMA:B just for the badass Roy versus Lust scene . I could say a lot more than that that I prefer too but meh .

wsippel

Banned
The rest of Season 2, not so much.
Yeah, but even the worst parts of Second Barrage are still solid and entertaining at least. Though Hänsel & Gretel are definitely the highlight, and it's one of the most fucked-up story arcs in any mainstream medium, ever.

Even if sweary-heavy stuff ain't generally my thing, it does feel like a nice addition to Modern Toonami, and their personalities actually felt pretty well-rounded. Rock Yagami wasn't nearly as wimpy as he could be, Revy actually has some humanity behind her murderous ways, and Dutch is nice to see as a nice mix of brains and brawn. Benny is *there*, but he helps prove that the Lagoon is filled with more than simply hardened fighters.

My name is Okajima, Rokuro Okajima. What's his name? Okajima, Rokuro Okajima.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom