• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
I think Super is a lot more appreciable if you take it as being like the original series, rather than Z, even if the fights tend more towards the latter. Like e.g., Z is vaguely serious and tries to be consistent (even if it's not), while the original and Super go more for "eh, whatever's fun".

What Toonami needs is more wrastling.
Yes.

Or giant robot martial arts tournaments in HD!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'll also have to give credit to Frieza during this arc just being all "ya know, I'm just gonna skip the other forms & just go straight to my most powerful one."

I think Super is a lot more appreciable if you take it as being like the original series, rather than Z, even if the fights tend more towards the latter. Like e.g., Z is vaguely serious and tries to be consistent (even if it's not), while the original and Super go more for "eh, whatever's fun".
& that's why I rather liked Battle of Gods & what I saw of the original Dragon Ball. I always thought Toriyama was better at telling jokes & writing a light-hearted adventure compared to DBZ being super serious & trying to act like there's stakes when in reality, they have not only an item that insta-heals people, but a 2nd item that makes death absolutely meaningless, taking away all tension.

When DBZ was trying to be fun like with Saiyaman & slice-of-life Gohan, it was rather enjoyable. But nope, gotta be all VILLAIN IS GONNA DESTROY THE WORLD AGAIN as usual.

Edit: Dr. Slump also worked because despite Arale being super strong, it was used for comedy & it was funny seeing a little girl robot that someone made have such strength. Which goes with my statement above about how Toriyama tends to be a better comedian than storyteller.

cntr

Banned
For what it's worth, the Cell and Buu arcs come across a lot better in the manga, even if they're still bad. Toriyama's still a very good fight choreographer, for example! Toei just amplifies the badness considerably.

...still really want to know how that Android 19 and 20 arc would've turned out, though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can fully accept part of DBZ's pacing problems being due to Toei wanting to drag the arcs out, similar to how they handled certain parts of One Piece.

...along with just how much editor interfering there was throughout some of the arcs, like with Cell having to change its villains TWICE because "lol these guys look lame, make up some new villains" & having to change up your story on the fly probably isn't very easy.

I really do wonder at times just how my opinion would've differed if I actually had the chance to watch it as a kid instead of the worst random episodes I'd catch when at a friend's house. I don't think I even had any VHS tapes I could borrow, & the only ones I'd want were Pokemon because I couldn't get WB as well.

Neoxon

AoT, HxH, Super, and Lupin are the shows I like the most at the moment.

Super reminds me a lot of the original Dragonball, it's just goofy and ridiculous in a good way, and if these are supposed to be the bad arcs, I think I'll like it. Same logic for Lupin, it's goofy and fun. Really impressed how well they're pulling off the HxH adaptation, not to mention the dub! AoT's been shockingly good, but I'll be happy when Stardust Crusaders comes on; it's a great group watch show. (I also really like GitS, but that doesn't really count.)
I'm kinda on the same boat. Though I'd also throw in DBZ Kai for the sake of nostalgia.

Hopefully we'll get JoJo: Stardust Crusaders, My Hero Academia, & Mob Psycho 100 sooner rather than later.

cntr

Banned
I did prefer Dragonball over Z even as a kid, but yeah it comes off a lot better if you're a kid.

Cell was ultimately the beginning of the end for DBZ. I'm certain Toriyama was planning something totally different with Android 19 and 20, but Cell being introduced forced him to recycle a lot of Frieza's ideas, establishing the formula. And that's where it all went wrong.

zulux21

I can fully accept part of DBZ's pacing problems being due to Toei wanting to drag the arcs out, similar to how they handled certain parts of One Piece.

certain parts of one piece... you mean absolutely everything since the halloween arc and parts of it before that right :p?

Some Guyver panels:
latest

guyver_2_female_by_alkan009-d5hfk8u.jpg

the_3rd_guyver_by_eizooki.jpg
It's definitely an 80's manga.

cntr

Banned
also as an aside since people say it every week

Goku can't teach Instant Transmission to anyone. He learned it from some aliens, and I don't think Goku knows how to explain it to anyone else. And the aliens probably aren't interested in teaching someone like Vegeta.

Morlas

lets be honest aku getting his face punched in by a giant stone samurai was the greatest moment in toonami history....apart from THE HAMMER, YEAH

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I did prefer Dragonball over Z even as a kid, but yeah it comes off a lot better if you're a kid.

Cell was ultimately the beginning of the end for DBZ. I'm certain Toriyama was planning something totally different with Android 19 and 20, but Cell being introduced forced him to recycle a lot of Frieza's ideas, establishing a "formula". And that's where it all went wrong.
That might explain why I hated the Cell arc as much as I did, because it was the first time they were recycling stuff, but just made it worse via the padding. At least with Frieza, it was the first time this stuff was being done, plus it's kind of hard to top such an iconic anime villain.

certain parts of one piece... you mean absolutely everything since the halloween arc and parts of it before that right :p?
Oh yeah, I've heard certain arcs after Thriller Bark were just abysmal with how long they took to cover an arc, mainly because Toei finally caught up & needed to pad things out to let the manga finish up to the point they'd stretch only one chapter into an entire episode from what I've heard. One Piece seriously could benefit from a Kai treatment, but that won't happen for years.

TheSun

^^^
Dang, yo! That looks cool.

I remember getting into the 00's guyver and just dropping it.

I really should get back into it. Zoalords always looked cool.

cntr

Banned
I'd rather they outsource One Piece to someone like Madhouse and have them remake the series entirely, tbh.

Guyver's bio-tech designs are the coolest.

^^^
Dang, yo! That looks cool.

I remember getting into the 00's guyver and just dropping it.

I really should get back into it. Zoalords always looked cool.
They really need to do another anime to get beyond what the second anime got to. It's actually pretty cool, it can just never get a following for some odd reason.
I'd rather they outsource One Piece to someone like Madhouse and have them remake the series entirely, tbh.

Guyver's bio-tech designs are the coolest.
That world is fucked. Nobody wants to be Sho Fukumachi, just like nobody ever wants to be Guts.

cntr

Banned
The Japanese audience for series like Guyver tend to be the kind of people never watch anime ever.

cf., Berserk's popularity as a manga and its low budget as an anime.

zulux21

Oh yeah, I've heard certain arcs after Thriller Bark were just abysmal with how long they took to cover an arc, mainly because Toei finally caught up & needed to pad things out to let the manga finish up to the point they'd stretch only one chapter into an entire episode from what I've heard. One Piece seriously could benefit from a Kai treatment, but that won't happen for years.

after the halloween arc basically every episode of one piece is at most a single chapter of manga. some aren't even that much.

a kai treatment would no doubt fix it, but indeed likely won't happen for a long time.

The Japanese audience for series like Guyver tend to be the kind of people never watch anime ever.

cf., Berserk's popularity as a manga and its low budget as an anime.
They can make Berserk using sock puppets and it would be better than that damn anime. Guyver is cool though. I guess it just isn't the right time for a new Guyver anime. They should have done one when they did FOTNS or something or at least mid 90's.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But Fairy Tail is fine, am I rite? :p

FT's time has passed I think. I'd dig it a lot (the dub is really fantastic) but I'd have to put up with half this thread whining. At least it'd bring back the Uncle Phil in a big way.

The current line up is pretty chaste outside of Lupin.

caliph95

FT's time has passed I think. I'd dig it a lot (the dub is really fantastic) but I'd have to put up with half this thread whining. At least it'd bring back the Uncle Phil in a big way.

The current line up is pretty chaste outside of Lupin.
Nah that will be the best part
maybe or annoying

When guy that controls dogs realizes that...he only controls dogs. I'm kind of surprised he lasted as long as he did or didn't have some big ass doggy back up...not that it would've helped him that scenario. For I think...months I was wondering if Toonami watched him die yet cause I always remember him dying earlier than he did. I guess that's what happens when you marathon, you lose all sense of pacing. Isn't this pretty much the last thing Nobunaga gets to do?

I think his ability was to communicate with dogs, not control them per se.

They liked him either way!
Is there a cute Hunterpedia that explains Squala? So he just had all kinds of random conversations with his dog pals? How come none of them told him to ask out that girl?

cntr

Banned
Is there a cute Hunterpedia that explains Squala? So he just had all kinds of random conversations with his dog pals? How come none of them told him to ask out that girl?

Squala didn't get a Hunterpedia, sadly.

Also he did ask her out, didn't he? They were dating and stuff.

Squala didn't get a Hunterpedia, sadly.

Also he did ask her out, didn't he? They were dating and stuff.
I kind of thought
he wanted to help her get out of that life so they can then date each other.
But my mind is foggy with the minute details of this stuff.

cntr

Banned
I kind of thought
he wanted to help her get out of that life so they can then date each other.
But my mind is foggy with the minute details of this stuff.
They were planning to leave the mafia life, yeah, but they were already dating before that.

"Actually Kaneki, you don't have to eat flesh to survive. We just told you that, as a joke."

*cue everyone showing up with beer and party food in hand*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom