• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct/Nov/Dec16| A Bacchanalia of Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBboy20

It's really just "guys fight", and while it takes a few episodes to start happening, the fact that there are vampires and guys with super powers are base-level spoilers for the series.

Plus, the promo just covers part 1, which is relatively short.
Well I've read past volume 1 and have read a quarter of volume 2 of Phantom Blood where first story(?) has reached it's climax so...am I good?

Well I've read past volume 1 and have read a quarter of volume 2 of Phantom Blood where first story(?) has reached it's climax so...am I good?

Well, if you're talking about the JoJonium volumes, Phantom Blood is 3 volumes long. Promo shows a lot of volume 2 and 3 stuff.

Seda

Unless you are a super spoiler phobe, that promo has no spoilers.

I remember some people saying the OPM promo was full of spoilers, and, wat

ckohler

Good job JoJo promo. As someone who hasn't seen the show, that has me sufficiently hyped. It also sounds like Roundabout is confirmed (I've seen the ED already).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It just goes to illustrate how short Part 1 really is, considering they pulled clips from almost all of it for that promo. :D

And that's the so-called "bad" Part of JoJo. Gonna be fun fun times.

Raxus

Unless you are a super spoiler phobe, that promo has no spoilers.

I remember some people saying the OPM promo was full of spoilers, and, wat

OPM spoiled a few punchlines (nut punch and a chunk of episode 1's punchlines) but that is about it.

JoJo promo has spoilers in the sense they are there if you know what you are looking for. No different from the spoilerific openings.

ckohler

Without context, I can't tell what is a spoiler and what isn't. Even if the whole thing was spoilers, it doesn't come across that way.

Came here solely to say omg omg omg omg if you guys are getting into jojo through this dub broadcast

:D :D :D

Part 1 is somewhat standard shonen even with all the bizarre adventure-ness that goes on, but we gotta lay the foundation for the rest of the series. Can't wait to watch with you all on the 15th!

Edit: And don't worry about spoilers too much regarding JoJo, half the time the spoilers are so fucking ridiculous it sounds like we're bullshitting you.

And then they turn out to be true.

Jarate

Banned
I only really enjoyed Black Ops 1, purely because the Stakeout was by far my favorite weapon to use in the game

I've already talked about how I dislike ADS shooters anyway. Glad they're starting to disappear from the market

Mizerman

I prefer Modern Warfare 3, and that's because of the multiplayer. Otherwise, I'm not a fan of the sci-fi versions of COD that's being used.

Raxus

Ctjo5_4VMAADHc_.jpg:large

BBboy20

I prefer Modern Warfare 3, and that's because of the multiplayer. Otherwise, I'm not a fan of the sci-fi versions of COD that's being used.
I was watching my late brother play it on the 360. The multiplayer didn't seem bad so eventually he fell asleep and I like tried it out. It eventually became one of the most frustrating experiences ever. I eventually came to the conclusion that Infinity Ward was turning a shooter into a fighter where you must have eyes on the back of your head at any given spot, even within your spawn point, if you want even have a chance in winning.

Months later and there was a free weekend for it on Steam so since this was probably the last time I would play a IW game on PC, I tried it out. There was this match of sabotage and eventually I was the last person left defending the last bomb site. They threw everything at me but I kept killing them off and kept surviving. My team was going to win but then the top enemy player had to use a killstreak (bombing run) on my position. It kills me and apparently that was enough for the enemy to win. All my god damn effort gone to waste just because some mother fucker out in the distance pressed a fucking button. That anger gave me an epiphany: competitive shooters have devolved into lone wolf gorging where skill no longer mattered and exploitation has become the norm. Fuck being a boss when one can press a D/keypad to win the game if you just simply pick people off. Fuck hustling, give ALLLLLL the gratification by any means necessary. Fuck you, play me.

Being fed up with Black Ops 2's multiplayer was the last straw for me with competitive shooters when whatever balance 1 had, Treyarch threw it out the window and replaced it with the Infinity Ward kitchen sink. My frustrations over time forced me out of the competitive scene until...well, Black Ops 3, in which while it does have better MP, that is not saying much. Splatoon and Rainbow Six: Siege though has given me some hope for the genre but...yeah. Watching over a decade of shooting just shrivel up in quality in a post-Modern Warfare 2 world was not fun. Open-World is now the new IT genre but I'm not sure the shooter is as dead as Bass or whoever claims to be.

Also: yeah, there weren't any spoilers in that Jojo trailer.

Seda

Tease time

Oh and yeah, Jason implies on PreFlight that Roundabout will be played ... not sure if that means in full or if even getting the opportunity to play it at all was under question

EDIT: And taking into account the Halloween marathon:

Parasyte –the maxim-: October 1
One-Punch Man: October 8
Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans: December 10
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: December 17 ("Part 1"), April 15, 2017 ("Part II")
Dragon Ball Z Kai: December 17 (not including Buu Arc), February 10, 2018 (including Buu Arc)
Hunter X Hunter: March 9, 2019
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Obviously we know there will be more marathons but won't incorporate assumptions here to keep things simpler.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Tease time

Oh and yeah, Jason implies on PreFlight that Roundabout will be played ... not sure if that means in full or if even getting the opportunity to play it at all was under question
Fairy Tail time as the dub is finally complete.

Raxus

OK finally caught up on last week. It's review time! First though
Seda said:
Oh, my cousin moved into nursing (my mom was also a nurse). He has told me how hectic and tiring it can be. I imagine it's tough work, keep it up dude.
Thanks, this means a lot to me. After reading the job thread last week it made me really appreciate getting into a job a love to do. It is hectic but I am loving every second of it. Ok, switching back to super seriouz anime critic®.

Review Time!

Last week was an ok week filled with ok episodes. Wish I could get more positive than that but most of what aired never quite dipped into excellence or awfulness. That being said most episodes last week bridge over to bigger and better (and worse) things for today.

DBZ Kai
Highlight of the episode (and me showing my bias) was Mr. Satan as he slowly begins to realize how in over his head he is. A quick joke fight happens and Mr Satan blasts off again. Goku volunteers to cut to the chase for once and begin the epic final fight with Cell. Aside from Mr. Satan, whose development is transposed to another arc, there really isn't much to the episode I can really recall. The Z fighters arrive and the Cell Tournament officially gets on the way. Oh and Android 16 isn't having any of Goku's shit.
One Pawnch Muhn
Oh look, another table setting episode. We finally meet (most) of the S class heroes as a threat that threatens the rest of earth fast approaches. Reading this in the manga and in the anime it does a lot to hype up the next major threat. There were even a few chuckle worthy lines here and there with Tornado and Saitama taking shots at one another and Saitama already wrecking people on the ship. It was one of the more entertaining episodes of the night but most of the meat of this arc is in the final 2 episodes.
Iron Blooded BROTHA
I am glad the bar was set so low for these episodes since I honestly didn't find this episode so bad. Atra continues to take those L's in force and pretends to be a princess. It'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. Nope, still funny. Meanwhile Biscuit 'bonds' with his BROTHA! only to be shocked by his inevitable betrayal! IBO has a real problem with interpersonal drama outside the main cast and it kind of shows this episode. I appreciate they go to other characters to try and flesh out Biscuits brother but the guy is a serious weasel and it kind of undercuts and emotional stakes for me to invest in. We also meet a stranger whose identity is SO MYSTERIOUS that I am sure you will never guess who it is! Kudelia's stuff was a little more effective at least since there was some build up to it but again that payoff seems to be next week. At least Mika got to be sort of a badass.
Hunter x Hunter
Probably my favorite episode of the night though it clears a low bar. The hunter exam arc officially ends as the gang leaves to rescue Killua. Meanwhile, DTL is writing an epic fanfiction on how this will down. Gon gets in Illumi's face and asks where to find Killua only to get the obvious answer, he went home. Gon sticks his neck out pretty far to set up the rescue and almost gets killed because of it. Strangely enough it is Gon's relationship with Hisoka that saves him. Which is both great and F%$@*ING TERRIFYING. Satotz sits down with Gon and tells him about his inspiration to be a hunter and it was none other than Ging! We only got to know the examiners a little bit but they did leave with an overall positive impression on me. With an ominous message and lots of world building clues about what type of hunter everyone seeks to become the episode draws to a close and I find myself excited for the next adventure.
Jiraya Shippuden (Side: Despair)
I really wanted to have this episode be stronger than it is. A good chunk of it is on Jiraya's disciples and Nagato having a god eye (*screams internally*). Jiraya sees potential in them and it ultimately sets up why he never took students until Naruto. A bunch of war is bad message drilled in over and over and a nice conversation between the 4th, his wife and Jiraya. Now I have loads of issues about Kishi introducing a god's eye (*screams internally*) but I will have plenty of time to discuss that later. Like most episodes of the night this mostly sets up for future payoffs down the road and does a decent job keeping you entertained by tossing in jobber ninjas for Jiraya to fight. It's just a shame half the episode is set in a dreary rain setting until Jiraya (completely umprompted) goes "You guys good? Peace I'm out". Ok I maaaaay have paraphrased that a bit but I was scratching my head that Jiraya took a 3 year break from war to train the kids and then just abandons them all over again. It is actually kind of funny in the bleakest sense. Really could have handled it better like the Orichimaro or Tsunade sending a message saying to come back immediately otherwise "x" will die. Instead we get an egg timer going off in Jiraya's head and he remembers "Oh shit I got a war to win!".
Wan Piece
Wow, this fight is bad. Easily one of the worst fights in the series animation wise and build up wise. There are enough character moments to salvage the poor animation but I'd argue this was the weakest episode of the night. A bunch of sword lasers and lots of build up for a fight that ends in '5 minutes". Zoro doesn't even put his bandana on to show he is serious. It is a shame since there is a subtle build up to the importance and strength of Wano as the series goes on and as one of the first "fighters" we meet from it, there is much to be desired. I do like Zoro promising to "forget this fight" to honor the samurai but the best moments were Ian Sinclairs unbridled joy of getting his shadow back. That guy nailed Brook. Come back soon Oars!

Rankings!

Everyone gets a medal because you are all "Winners" Tier:
Hunter x Hunter
One Punch Man
Jiraya Shippuden
Iron Blooded Orphans
DBZ Kai
One Piece

Overall review of the night: ADEQUATE!

Good episodes all around coming up. Be sure to watch the next few weekends!

So I guess the thing that bugs me about Thriller Bark is that Brook doesn't feel particularly central to it. He's a fun dude with a great backstory, but his role in the story quickly becomes secondary to beating up Gekko Moriah and Oars in a really strange way. He's our introduction to the whole place and the show goes to great lengths to get us on his side, but then it sends him off to the fringes of the story. There's a half-baked bit where he's a terrifying figure to the zombies, and then Zoro has to get his shadow back for him. While having Brook overcome his own challenges wouldn't be anything new in this series (or to shonen in general), at least would have some emotional payoff behind it? That hand-off to Zoro sort of just...happens. It feels like a way to hastily wrap up his subplot.

Like even if you somehow knew nothing of JoJo and missed the OP that makes it blatantly clear the series will be JoJo vs Dio and the poster that makes it clear it'll be JoJo vs Dio you'd figure out it was gonna be JoJo vs Dio like 5 minutes into episode 1. The series makes no effort to hide that fact.

Just watched the promo for Jojo, I'll definitely start staying when it starts. Can't wait for people that don't watch jojo to start watching Jojo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom