• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Oct15| You've activated our Trump Cards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HAIL THE QUEEN!!

n47Bi1j.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god, this dub is still amazing. I think I'd go so far as to say as someone who saw the sub first, I prefer the dub. Bravo, Aniplex.

Looking at it now, I suspect Trigger may have hemorrhaged a bit too much money into the first episode, and that's why some of the latter episodes are animated poorly when they shouldn't be.

Raxus

Dear Sentai,

LEARN FROM ANIPLEX ON HOW TO DIRECT A SUB.
It baffles me that with Funimation and Aniplex in the mix that a company like Sentai can continue to exist.

I think the one good dub they got (Persona 4) is only good because they have all the VA's from the video games.

Looking at it now, I suspect Trigger may have hemorrhaged a bit too much money into the first episode, and that's why some of the latter episodes are animated poorly when they shouldn't be.

Just wish it was 12 episodes instead of 24. So many episodes that really didn't need to be there.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It baffles me that with Funimation and Aniplex in the mix that a company like Sentai can continue to exist.

I think the one good dub they got (Persona 4) is only good because they have all the VA's from the video games.

More precisely, Persona was actually dubbed by Bang Zoom, not Sentai's internal studio.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

& they couldn't even get the rights for P4 Golden the Animation, which is owned by Aniplex. WHICH THEY DIDN'T EVEN DUB.

But yes, I guess Sentai only really exists for "smaller" anime titles that Funimation &/or Aniplex feel as though wouldn't be worth the cost/would make the money back on dubbing it.

YYYEEEESSSSS, the stair scene as a bumper.

Seda

Just noting, Alex von David is the name of the ADR Director (and sometime script writer) for Kill la Kill, Sword Art Online, and Blue Exorcist. All great dubs.

Crocodile

The issue wasn't money, it was scheduling. For example they finished the last episode only 12 hours before air time. Stuff like that isn't super uncommon in the anime industry but it is unfortunate and the common cause for poorly animated episodes.

ckohler

I think Sentai's problem with dubs is a combination of poor localization/direction and subpar acting on top of shows that aren't particularly well written to begin with.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just noting, Alex von David is the name of the ADR Director (and sometime script writer) for Kill la Kill, Sword Art Online, and Blue Exorcist. All great dubs.
As annoying as their pricing is for DVD/BDs, Aniplex always does a good job on their dubs.

I think Sentai's problem with dubs is a combination of poor localization/direction and subpar acting on top of shows that aren't particularly well written to begin with.
The thing is, they have VAs that've worked with Funimation. They just don't make the most of them like Funimation does.

Raxus

Eh.

The voice acting was spot on but the script didn't help an already shit show. I am mostly pointing out the IRL stuff they abuse all the time.

Seda

According to ANN, Alex von David did the script adaptation for SAO-I but not SAO-II. edit: Oh but it calls him the ADR writer, not sure if the distinction is useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom