• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

Jarate

Banned
also, ya'll expecting Cartoon Networks board to not be stupid and piss off fans definately did not witness them air Tokyo Ghoul, and take off One Piece

cntr

Banned
One Piece got taken off because Toei hitched up the price, and made it too expensive to continue airing. It wasn't cancelled by Toonami.

I imagine the landscape of television is changing rapidly right now.

I can't imagine it's changing every week, but what is considered good right now might be different than what was considered good when One Piece was taken off the block.

How is Boruto btw? Is he trash just like his dad?
He spams Kage bunshins, but not as much as his dad. Can actually strategize with them and such. It's interesting, but I'm more curious about Sarada's eventual move set. Still wish they made Himawari the main, but whatever.

I mean, One Piece ran on the block for nearly four years, and the show is, I'm sorry fans, an incredibly hard sell.

I don't know about anyone else, but that's basically a success story right there.

Jarate

Banned
I have literally not seen anything regarding One Piece and Toei being the issue.

rWyEO5r.jpg

This is the only explanation

and yet we have this a bit earlier in time

There mightve been some obscure preflight or something where they explained it to us. But yes, Demarco literally blatantly lied to us, unless like I said, there's some obscure preflight information. (Im not upset, I doubt he has any power over certain decisions)

Just don't really assume what Demarco says is the truth. He's ultimately not the one in charge of certain decisions.

Seda

I have literally not seen anything regarding One Piece and Toei being the issue.

There mightve been some obscure preflight or something where they explained it to us. But yes, Demarco literally blatantly lied to us, unless like I said, there's some obscure preflight information. (Im not upset, I doubt he has any power over certain decisions)

Just don't really assume what Demarco says is the truth. He's ultimately not the one in charge of certain decisions.

Where's the lie?

Morlas

That second one is from like 2.5 years before one piece got canned

cntr

Banned
When One Piece got cancelled and people asked why, Demarco didn't say "because the higher ups said no", he said "I can't talk about it for contractual reasons". Moreover, everything else around the cancellation was really sudden. Tokyo Ghoul barely got any time to air its promo, even.

So the simplest explanation is that Toei (or more likely, One Piece's production committee) hiked up the prices, Adult Swim wasn't happy with the new price relative to the ratings, and the negotiations fell through. When he's talking about the ratings not being high enough, that's relative to the price hike. Jumping to the conclusion that they're lying is pretty silly in the face of all that.

I mean, One Piece ran on the block for nearly four years, and the show is, I'm sorry fans, an incredibly hard sell.

I don't know about anyone else, but that's basically a success story right there.

Okay, let's end this notion about One Piece. It's not a hard sell if you know what you're getting into.
This isn't something like the Fate franchise where there are multiple different canons and storylines.

Starting in the middle of the anime alienated a lot of viewers because One Piece is not episodic and stand-alone enough to jump into 200 episodes deep. Just knowing the main characters isn't enough. Viewers need to be somewhat familiar with past events and hanging plot threads.

cntr

Banned
Also, yeah, the only reason One Piece is a "hard sell" is because 4Kids tanked its chances during the early days of mainstream anime in America.

It's incredibly popular like, literally everywhere else.

Jarate

Banned
I mean saying something isn't going anywhere doesn't really imply a time limit. It kind of implies that it's not leaving the block at all. But hey, I, maybe I got the wrong read of it.

Here's a Quote from his ask.fm

""One Piece is doing bad. This block is stale. Ratings are down. These are viewer trends we see week after week."" What do you think about this statement someone said? They won't listen to me, but perhaps you can knock some sense into them when I show them your reply... Moose
over 1 year ago
Well the first and third points are factually wrong. The block is doing better than ever and we routinely win the night every Saturday. The second point is purely subjective- one person's "stale" is another person's "perfect." That's about all I can, or need to say.

I mean, im sure this led other to believe that ratings are a problem... (It's not like One Pieces rating diminished during this time frame a heavy amount)

When One Piece got cancelled and people asked why, Demarco didn't say "because the higher ups said no", he said "I can't talk about it for contractual reasons". Moreover, everything else around the cancellation was really sudden. Tokyo Ghoul barely got any time to air its promo, even.

So the simplest explanation is that Toei (or more likely, One Piece's production committee) hiked up the prices, Adult Swim wasn't happy with the new price relative to the ratings, and the negotiations fell through. When he's talking about the ratings not being high enough, that's relative to the price hike. Jumping to the conclusion that they're lying is pretty silly in the face of all that.

You're assuming something that may or may not be true. It's logical, but it's not factually correct.

you also don't know what those "contractual reasons" are. It could easily be "We don't want to say that the higher ups wanted to cancel it to not piss of a possibly angry hive of internet anime fans"

That tweet's from 2014. Things change in two years.

so how did the naruto fanbase continue to be a fanbase after this pain arc conclusion

I forget how long after Pain this is, but I stopped reading at the chapter
Gaara made some faux-inspirational speech in front of a crowd of soldiers
as the manga was dragging.

cntr

Banned
I mean saying something isn't going anywhere doesn't really imply a time limit. It kind of implies that it's not leaving the block at all. But hey, I, maybe I got the wrong read of it.
That's kind of silly? If the prices get too high for the ratings to support, then yes, it's going to be dropped. That doesn't mean he was lying. It's not like he can predict the future or air a show at a loss.

You're assuming something that may or may not be true. It's logical, but it's not factually correct.

you also don't know what those "contractual reasons" are. It could easily be "We don't want to say that the higher ups wanted to cancel it to not piss of a possibly angry hive of internet anime fans"
He's already pissed fans off and kicked off a bunch of conspiracy theories, so I doubt he lied about it.

There's a pretty likely scenario that's both plausible and reasonable. Why assume some conspiratorial alternative instead?

Jarate

Banned
The Toei thing is not a fact at all. Can we stop assuming that it is. Could it have happened, yes, possibly, is it logical, yes, but it doesn;t mean it's true.

Also, yeah, the only reason One Piece is a "hard sell" is because 4Kids tanked its chances during the early days of mainstream anime in America.

It's incredibly popular like, literally everywhere else.

Even then the franchise recovered pretty well due to Funimation, Viz and an already dedicated fanbase.

cntr

Banned
The Toei thing is not a fact at all. Can we stop assuming that it is. Could it have happened, yes, possibly, is it logical, yes, but it doesn;t mean it's true.
The idea that Demarco has been lying forever is not a fact, either. But out of the two options, one makes a lot more sense.

Even then the franchise recovered pretty well due to Funimation, Viz and an already dedicated fanbase.
Yeah. Still, One Piece is a huge thing in like, Latin America, Asia, Europe? It's only Anglophone countries where it's not that big of a deal.

Jarate

Banned
Im not implying that he's been lying forever, just that I have a hard time trusting him after he informed One Piece fans again and again throughout every single piece of social media that the ratings were fine until suddenly they werent fine. It just shows he doesn't have the say you guys think he does with the block, and that there is a heavy amount of outside power that are involved.

Im not implying that he's been lying forever, just that I have a hard time trusting him after he informed One Piece fans again and again throughout every single piece of social media that the ratings were fine until suddenly they werent fine.

The only evidence you've shown has been from over a year before the end of OP on the block. A million factors could have happened within that time, all of which he might not have known about (see instances like tax write-offs, programming failing to tell them when certain shows expired, ect).

cntr

Banned
Im not implying that he's been lying forever, just that I have a hard time trusting him after he informed One Piece fans again and again throughout every single piece of social media that the ratings were fine until suddenly they werent fine. It just shows he doesn't have the say you guys think he does with the block, and that there is a heavy amount of outside power that are involved.
Obviously he has to deal with other people, but you're also going way too far into "we can't trust him ever". You're even saying that he could've lied about the contract thing! That's silly, and that's what I'm criticizing.

Even if the Toei thing might not be true, it has enough chance of being true that it doesn't make sense to use One Piece as evidence for Demarco being a liar. If Jojo gets suddenly dropped from the block, sure, I'll agree with you, but the current evidence doesn't support the conclusion you're making.

Jarate

Banned
The only evidence you've shown has been from over a year before the end of OP on the block. A million factors could have happened within that time, all of which he might not have known about (see instances like tax write-offs, programming failing to tell them when certain shows expired, ect).

which is exactly my point actually

you can't know what's going to happen to Jojo until it's gonna happen. There's a lot of factors involved that can get in the way.

Im sure Demarco wants it to happen. Im not so sure about CN, and AS decision makers want it to happen.

Xe4

Banned
I had heard (and chances are I'm totally wrong here) that One Piece hand a drop in quality following the latest arc that Toonami was airing anyhow.

Aside from it being replaced by total unmitigated garbage I don't think it's any love lost for me. I can't say I really could ever get into One Piece. On top of that, back when it was airing, Toonami had way too many (five!) long running Shonen. Even now I hope that when Kai ends and Naruto (hopefully, if God listens to my prayers) gets cancelled, at most one of them is replaced by a long running Shonen.

I much prefer shows that have a beginning, middle, and end over a series that goes on and on and on and on. HxH is about my limit for the length where I can enjoy a week by week show over a long time without long stretches of boredom. And even with the fact that HxH is mastefully made, only ~150 episodes and had little to no filler, there are still stretches that drag.

Jarate

Banned
I had heard (and chances are I'm totally wrong here) that One Piece hand a drop in quality following the latest arc that Toonami was airing anyhow.

Aside from it being replace by total unmitigated garbage I don't think it's any love lost for me. I can't say I really could ever get into One Piece. On top of tht, back when it was airing Toonami had way too many long running Shonen. Even now I hope that when Kai ends and Naruto (hopefully, if God listens to my prayers) ends, at most one of them is replaced by a long running Shonen.

I much prefer shows that have a beginning, middle, and end over a series that goes on and on and on and on. HxH is about my limit for the length where I can enjoy a week by week show over a long time without long stretches of boredom. And even with the fact that HxH is mastefully made and only ~150 episodes with little to no filler, there are still stretches that drag.

I can understand not liking it. I actually really like the idea of giant epics, but both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I would suggest giving the beggining of One Piece a chance, or at least reading the manga. The manga is literally perfect outside of two arcs, the art is amazing, and man, Oda is just Guda.

Xe4

Banned
I can understand not liking it. I actually really like the idea of giant epics, but both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I would suggest giving the beggining of One Piece a chance, or at least reading the manga. The manga is literally perfect outside of two arcs, the art is amazing, and man, Oda is just Guda.
I do plan on watching One Piece (at least the non filler stuff) eventually. Maybe when it ends. But the list of shows, especially animated shows I have to watch is like a mile long. And I prioritize stuff that has already ended or looks like it will have an end in a not too unreasonable ammount of time over huge epics of shows.

Morlas

Thing about the one piece dub is if it had come out as the funimation dub at the time the quality would probably be lower than it is because a few of the one piece regulars weren't part of funis cast pool yet

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

That tweet is a full three years before One Piece left the block. That's an eternity in TV time.

Seda

One piece wasn't canceled due to ratings.

Well, it probably was, partially. It's likely that a combination of a price hike and less-than-great ratings is what contributed to it being pulled. If it was doing better than it did, Adult Swim would have willingly paid more to keep it running.

It's possible that if the price of airing it stayed the same, they would be fine with its performance at the end of the block. They decided it wasn't worth the cost.

We don't know with absolute certainty if Toei raised the price of acquisition or whatnot, it's more a theory that fits the facts we do know.

Top Bottom