• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Top law firms don't want to defend Trump

johnsmith

remember me
Top lawyers with at least four major law firms rebuffed White House overtures to represent President Trump in the Russia investigations, in part over concerns that the president would be unwilling to listen to their advice, according to five sources familiar with discussions about the matter.

The unwillingness of some of the country’s most prestigious attorneys and their law firms to represent Trump has complicated the administration’s efforts to mount a coherent defense strategy to deal with probes being conducted by four congressional committees as well as Justice Department special counsel Robert Mueller.

The president’s chief lawyer now in charge of the case is Marc E. Kasowitz, a tough New York civil litigator who for years has aggressively represented Trump in multiple business and public relations disputes — often with threats of countersuits and menacing public statements — but who has little experience dealing with complex congressional and Justice Department investigations that are inevitably influenced by media coverage and public opinion.

Before Kasowitz was retained, however, some of the biggest law firms and their best-known attorneys turned down overtures when they were sounded out by White House officials to see if they would be willing to represent the president, the sources said.

Among them, sources said, were some of the most high-profile names in the legal profession, including Brendan Sullivan of Williams & Connolly; Ted Olson of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher; Paul Clement and Mark Filip of Kirkland & Ellis; and Robert Giuffra of Sullivan & Cromwell.

The lawyers and their firms cited a variety of factors in choosing not to take on the president as a client. Some, like Brendan Sullivan, said they had upcoming trials or existing commitments that that would make it impossible for them to devote the necessary time and resources to Trump’s defense.

Others mentioned potential conflicts with clients of their firms, such as financial institutions that have already received subpoenas relating to potential money-laundering issues that are part of the investigation.

But a consistent theme, the sources said, was the concern about whether the president would accept the advice of his lawyers and refrain from public statements and tweets that have consistently undercut his position.

“The concerns were, ‘The guy won’t pay and he won’t listen,’” said one lawyer close to the White House who is familiar with some of the discussions between the firms and the administration, as well as deliberations within the firms themselves.

Other factors, the lawyer said, were that it would “kill recruitment” for the firms to be publicly associated with representing the polarizing president and jeopardize the firms’ relationships with other clients.

Another lawyer briefed on some of the discussions agreed that the firms were worried about the reputational risk of representing the president. One issue that arose, this lawyer said, was “Do I want to be associated with this president and his policies?” In addition, the lawyer said, there were concerns that if they took on the case, “Who’s in charge?” and “Would he listen?”

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/four-top-law-firms-turned-requests-represent-trump-122423972.html

These constant twitter outbursts sure would make it hard to defend him. And we know how Trump hates paying those be think did shoddy work i.e. everyone. He'll eventually find a Republican aligned law firm eventually though, I'm sure.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The best lawyers won't do it?
Better Call Saul.

Really I'm sure there's a crooked lawyer willing to do it.

RPGCrazied

Hasn't Trump lost most of his cases? He has settled a ton of them too. I'm sure the lawyers are not really that confident in Trump.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Not surprising everything the man has ever touched has become toxic. It baffles me that anyone would want to work closely with him on anything, ever.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
He's good. If he cannot find an attorney, one will be appointed for him before any questioning.

shiba5

"received subpoenas relating to potential money-laundering issues that are part of the investigation."

All aboard the Trump train! Choo-choo

Sephzilla

Not really surprising. Law firms don't want to take on cases they know they'll lose plus Trump's recent history has clearly shown he won't follow the advice of advisers.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Simply put, the guy doesn't pay enough (that is, he probably won't pay anything if he suddenly doesn't feel like paying) to make it worth putting up with him.

It's cool, I saw this one lawyer tv ad at 2 AM who would probably defend Trump. Sure, the guy specializes in DUI's and not Justice Dept. and Congressional probes but you know, beggars can't be choosy.

312945.gif

Cagey

Banned
Among them, sources said, were some of the most high-profile names in the legal profession, including Brendan Sullivan of Williams & Connolly; Ted Olson of Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher; Paul Clement and Mark Filip of Kirkland & Ellis; and Robert Giuffra of Sullivan & Cromwell.

So instead of getting V10-tier firms (or V3 in Sullivan's case), Trump's relying on the name partner (or son of) at V100 firm Kasowitz Benson.

While the cream of the crop isn't signing on, he's not getting table scraps with Kasowitz.

Can only hope Kasowitz Benson so publicly being linked to the defense of President Trump hurts recruitment at T14 schools.

So instead of getting V10-tier firms (or V3 in Sullivan's case), Trump's relying on the name partner (or son of) at V100 firm Kasowitz Benson.

While the cream of the crop isn't signing on, he's not getting table scraps with Kasowitz.

Can only hope Kasowitz Benson so publicly being linked to the defense of President Trump hurts recruitment at T14 schools.

Absolutely.

I recognize some of those words.

Cagey

Banned
Absolutely.

I recognize some of those words.

His current attorney, Marc Kasowitz, is from Kasowitz Benson Torres & Friedman. He's the "Kasowitz" in the name. Trump's not being represented by some fly-by-night group or some random shady huckster; he has a very serious legal team.

Vault ranks law firms globally, like US News ranks colleges and graduate schools (different methodologies, sure, but the basic conept is the same). Vault rankings aren't some gospel but they're a decent indicator of standing. The firms turning trump down are near the very top of the list, in the top 10, i.e. the very best in the world.

Though my info is out of date from law school, as it seems Kasowitz Benson fell out of the V100.

Trump wants attorneys from the equivalent of Princeton, Harvard, Columbia. Trump's getting attorneys from the equivalent of University of Oregon, headed by the top partner at the firm.

Horns

Can you blame them? Their client would be working against them and would be blamed for any loss. He's a fucking nightmare to work with.

The best lawyers won't do it?
Better Call Saul.

Really I'm sure there's a crooked lawyer willing to do it.

Crooked lawyers aren't stupid.

Is this real? Do Law firms have Anime power rankings?

Hasn't Trump lost most of his cases? He has settled a ton of them too. I'm sure the lawyers are not really that confident in Trump.

He's lost or settled the vast majority of cases he's been involved in, yes. His main thing in court is that his lawyers do everything and anything to delay the process so it gets costly for the other side, pushing them into a settlement or drying them up financially to not be able to continue

“Do I want to be associated with this president and his policies?” In addition, the lawyer said, there were concerns that if they took on the case, “Who’s in charge?” and “Would he listen?

further shows that Trump is just a giant baby.

wildfire

Banned
His current attorney, Marc Kasowitz, is from Kasowitz Benson Torres & Friedman. He's the "Kasowitz" in the name. Trump's not being represented by some fly-by-night group or some random shady huckster; he has a very serious legal team.

Vault ranks law firms globally, like US News ranks colleges and graduate schools (different methodologies, sure, but the basic conept is the same). Vault rankings aren't some gospel but they're a decent indicator of standing. The firms turning trump down are near the very top of the list, in the top 10, i.e. the very best in the world.

Though my info is out of date from law school, as it seems Kasowitz Benson fell out of the V100.

Trump wants attorneys from the equivalent of Princeton, Harvard, Columbia. Trump's getting attorneys from the equivalent of University of Oregon, headed by the top partner at the firm.

To add to this Trump wants a lawyer from John Jay but he has to settle for someone from Baruch.

It's not like they are terrible but their skill sets aren't tuned to the legal advice Trump needs.

Saya

“The concerns were, ‘The guy won’t pay and he won’t listen,’” said one lawyer close to the White House who is familiar with some of the discussions between the firms and the administration, as well as deliberations within the firms themselves.

Amazing.

Top Bottom