• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

mavo

Banned
If i learnt something today is just how fucking bright the sun really is.

Saw some pics were the sun is mostly covered and is still super bright, crazy.

Mxrz

The 99% vs 1% sounds about right.

For a good 15 mins or so it was like you're wearing a pair of sun glasses that slowly get a heavier tint. Then when its near dusk-like, its like, 1. 2. NIGHT. Bam. Suddenly the night sky is out, stars, dogs howling. cooler. This was near NC line. Surprised it sounds so less impressive in other parts of Georgia.

Knowing how the Universe works is well enough. But sort of seeing something like this first hand colors it in more. Maybe like seeing the ocean the first time, but a bit more giant abyss in the sky-y.

Volimar

This is all I could get in NYC. Looked like the sun was going to explode for a second there.

2017-08-2114uislz.png

All I could get with my shitty kindle fire here in Ohio. I could see more through the glasses.

I saw a partial eclipse when I was younger, so going into today I felt a little underwhelmed compared to everyone else.

But this time I was in the totality zone for about 90 seconds and it was incredible. You go from looking through the minimal viewing window of the eclipse glasses to this *amazing* corona that you can see with your bare eyes. Simply amazing.

If i learnt something today is just how fucking bright the sun really is.

Saw some pics were the sun is mostly covered and is still super bright, crazy.
Yeah, the statistic I read was that even during a 99% covered partial eclipse, the brightness is still equivalent to 10,000 full moons.

Griss

Just had our maximum over here. Fuck the police / my health, I looked right at it. Now I can't see shit, captain. lol

It was quite obvious, though. We had about 75% coverage. Surprised it didn't get darker here, you couldn't really tell any difference in ambient light.

I looked at the sun a bunch of times as a kid - just quick glances - and I'm fine. So I'll still be fine.

Kyne

when I was a kid and I didn't know better I stared at the sun for probably a minute straight. Once you get past the eye watering all you start to see are shadows bouncing on and off from the sun, kind of like a flashlight rapidly turning on and off.. it was kind of surreal. I'm surprised I didn't suffer from any long term damage.

I watched through a welder's mask. That was a safe option right? My eyes are the tiniest bit uncomfortable right now. I never saw it directly without the Welder's mask. Any chance I fucked up?

JB1981

If you were using glasses or whatever it might just be the constant blackness of the glasses and then back to bright once you took them off

That's what I did and I have a slight headache

I was not wearing glasses. I didn't stare at it long but did take some quick looks at it. Also looked at it through the reflection of a car windshield. Am I fucked?

Kangi

Experienced 100%. From "sunny yet dim" to "post-sunset in all directions". The moment when the last fragment of light faded from my glasses and I took them off was amazing.

Weevilone

If you were using glasses or whatever it might just be the constant blackness of the glasses and then back to bright once you took them off

That's what I did and I have a slight headache

They say the part of your eye that gets damaged has no pain receptors, so it isn't that.

I rarely go outside, so I figure it's my body trying to adjust.

Clockwork5

So awesome.

In KC here in my portion totality lasted like 45 seconds buy every but was cool to experience.

I went up by the airport and got a bit over a minute. It was wildly cool. Also our local classic rock radio station was playing Dark Side of the Moon from start to finish with the line, "And the sun was replaced by the Mooooooon!" at the moment of totality.

Was a pretty stunning moment. Goosebumps.

Matty8787

Dunno if this is true but anybody who did stare and has weird spots or anything in their vision look at th back of a disc for a minute - that is supposed to help "reset" your vision.

I was not wearing glasses. I didn't stare at it long but did take some quick looks at it. Also looked at it through the reflection of a car windshield. Am I fucked?

You might be fine.

I've gotten an arc flash before which is like a sun burn on your eye. The next day my eyes hurt and I couldn't even go out into simple sunlight. My eyes also watered heavily. About a day or so later I was fine. Tho don't make a habit of doing this stuff otherwise it will really kill your vision.

Avoid rubbing your eyes.

Weevilone

I got a few flashes of bright reflected in the kids' glasses. Would take mine off and look to check to make sure the kids were doing it right and bam, bright light.

Harmless no doubt but amazing how bright it was after the darkness of the glasses.

gcubed

I watched through a welder's mask. That was a safe option right? My eyes are the tiniest bit uncomfortable right now. I never saw it directly without the Welder's mask. Any chance I fucked up?

Level 12 or 14 would be perfectly safe. Level 10 is better than sunglasses or whatever

Xenus

Nah You should be fine I took some pics using welders glass. But I only had a pane which means sometimes it was off a little bit. You shouldn't get major damage without prolonged unprotected looks. My right eye is little unhappy though...

Ryaaan14

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks it's boring seeing pics of the actual sun

I enjoy seeing the bizarre darkness covering everything else in the middle of the day

No one is allowed to say it was a bummer unless you were in totality. And if you thought it was a bummer then, there’s no hope for you as a human being.

Top Bottom