• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total Solar Eclipse (US) of 2017

I stupidly looked at it a few times (quick peeks) from inside work through the windows. It was mostly cloudy but a few times It peeked through and I got a new view of the crescent.

I'm gonna go blind aren't I?

reKon

Banned
DHxkSFzW0AEQBN9.jpg

caption this.... GO

F34R

I did get a good look as it passed behind the moon. Then the clouds completely covered it lol. It was nice while it lasted.

gcubed

Best case scenario happened, right at peak a light could went across it and was able to see it with sunglasses good enough through the cloud. Then the cloud went away and I took pictures of the light through the trees

ag-my001

Whelp, total bust with the storm here. It was cool to see just how dark it got, and all the solar garden lights turned on.

I don't think my lecture on Rayleigh scattering went over as well as I had hoped.

Z3M0G

Only peaks at about 50% where I'm at, but got to see it with the glasses... pretty cool!

In 7 years we will see it 100% only an hour away.

Weevilone

I was just being paranoid. I just stared at totality with no glasses for 2 minutes and 40 seconds and vision is perfectly normal

To be fair they said it takes like 15 hours for the effects to be obvious. Most people wake with the damage the next day.

I'm sure you're fine though.

My neighbor mowed the lawn through this, like nothing was happening. He's a Raiders fan though, so..

There were moments where the clouds were thin enough to see it. When I put the glasses on, I couldnt see anything so I just looked at it directly. The clouds were doing the job.

This seems like one of those things that pictures/videos objectively cannot do justice.

It is true. The pic I posted doesn't hold a candle to what it was like to look up into the sky and see a ring of fire there are everything went dark and it got colder. The birds and insects freaking out.

Just incredible.

I wish these people who said it was the greatest thing they saw in their lives had pictures to show.
I mean, NASA has fucking high-powered telescopes with special filters and shit pointed right at the thing that will give way better pictures than any of us could take with our consumer level stuff.

Honestly the pictures of the sun itself don’t do justice to full totality. It was fucking crazy. How quickly the darkness came and went, the drop in temperature, the spooky look of the area around you, and seeing objects in the sky you couldn’t normally.

I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it was incredible. I really feel bad for people who weren’t in full totality and don’t know what they’re missing. I highly recommend seeking it out if you can.

C.Mongler

What the hell were people commenting "disappointing" expecting lol, all that was promised was large space rock (slightly) covers gassy star for a couple minutes; no one said there would be a laser light show, fireworks, and dancing animals. Just take a minute to enjoy a natural phenomenon for what it is, damn.

To be fair they said it takes like 15 hours for the effects to be obvious. Most people wake with the damage the next day.

I'm sure you're fine though.

My neighbor mowed the lawn through this, like nothing was happening. He's a Raiders fan though, so..

Oh shit for real? Now I'm gonna be paranoid until tomorrow

70 percent coverage in NYC. was nice but obviously not totality. we did sacrifice this one girl from the marketing department to make sure the gods didn't forsake us.

Melon Husk

Just a funny moment on NYT livestream

QfS4bhE.gif

"I got 99 shades but eclipse is gone."

And yeah, best way to enjoy partial eclipses is to look at the shadows. They're way more common too.

Top Bottom