• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us AI Commercial sure is something

Valedix

My Eyes Pain GIF

thief183

It looks ok to me, it is clearly AI cause... not sure why, it reminds me a lot of the meme images with AI, but it is not bad at all.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Didn't bother me tbh.

If someone hadn't said "this sure is something" or "this fucking sucks" I wouldn't even have paid much attention.

I have no idea how much of that is AI generated - you could tell me it's 100% AI or that it's been added to some other components and I could believe it.

The voice over at the end sounds very AI to me though.

EDIT: It's the same voiceover throughout - but it stood out to me at the end, perhaps as it's more exposed.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
You can see how hollow this shit is

If they're a toy company, why not choosing a real kid wandering on a real store with real toys? I can see the old stuff being CGI or whatever, but not the important stuff

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I can’t really tell it’s AI on my phone maybe on a bigger screen. It does look to clean etc

Yeah I was also expecting something a lot worse and it's not bad for what it is. Though like a few others have said the thing that I'm not fond of the most in the video is the take on "I'm a Toys R Us Kid".

Cyberpunkd

You can see how hollow this shit is

If they're a toy company, why not choosing a real kid wandering on a real store with real toys? I can see the old stuff being CGI or whatever, but not the important stuff
Because it’s a company that forgot what it means to be a toy company. I’m sure they see themselves as “entertainment conglomerate” now.

So they want to create the child version of the founder of the company. And then some smartass probably suggested using AI instead of casting a kid that resembles him. However, I don't doubt this costs more than using an actor. There's a lot of compositing involved here as AI struggles with continuity, text, and even basic human motions. Notice that kid the is ever so slightly different in each shot (even the glasses are different).

This is not just uncanny valley. This is soulless uncanny valley.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
If they wanted to push my nostalgia buttons they should’ve used some footage of real Toys R Us from the 80s and 90s, not this ugly ass Polar Express CGI.

And that rendition of the old theme song was pretty awful.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Poor Toys R Us, it’s probably all they could afford.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
character consistency, shot control, etc is getting dramatically better every month

I believe using Runway's new model would have produced a much better commercial, for instance.

Give it just a little more time and the film / commercial industry (and even gaming) will be absolutely reshaped and reinvented, no one is prepared for how much it will change everything.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
the most soulless part is the actual writing and ideas behind it... it's a horribly empty and meaningless ad, with its only content being "bike store kid dreamed BIG and it was magic"... okay. Tell us something meaningful about his vision at least.

Honestly the cynical humans behind this are the worst part of the equation.

Last edited:

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Today I learned that Toys R Us is still a thing.
I'm not convinced it is. At the end the commercial, it said "The dream continues with Toys R Us at every Macy's" or some shit. So, what you're saying is they sold the brand to be the name of some other store's fucking toy aisle :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
So they want to create the child version of the founder of the company. And then some smartass probably suggested using AI instead of casting a kid that resembles him. However, I don't doubt this costs more than using an actor.

How much would an ad like this cost to make as an AI project Vs doing it with cameras and actors?

BlackTron

I'm not convinced it is. At the end the commercial, it said "The dream continues with Toys R Us at every Macy's" or some shit. So, what you're saying is they sold the brand to be the name of some other store's fucking toy aisle :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They made this deal with Macy's in 2021. It was supposed to be a "store in a store" but I never meandered into a Macy's to find out. They wanted to make it feel like a Toys R Us inside but come on. No kid is gonna beg their mom to walk through Macy's just for a big giraffe statue when you have Walmart and Target.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
I remember toys r us everyone was getting their bikes, Nintendo 64 games there for Christmas I use to play with the demo trains (Thomas the tank?) and “test drive” new bikes there so it’s kinda nostalgic at this point.

I found a video from 20+ years ago of someone shopping at a toys r us

I have no idea why the toys r us chain failed, it’s weird.

Top Bottom