• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers: 'Bumblebee' International Trailer Has New Optimus Prime and Cybertron Footage

If you're nostalgic for the old Transformers, they used G1 designs for Optimus Prime, Starscream, and Soundwave.

ansformers fans who didn’t get enough of G1 Optimus Prime, and Cybertron, in the new trailer for Bumblebee are in luck, because the international version delivers plenty of both.

There’s also a bit of a prelude, detailing Bumblebee’s pursuit on Earth by the Decepticon Blitzwing, a showdown that results in the critical damage that forces the fan-favorite Autobot to disguise himself as a Volkswagen Beetle. In addition, there’s an extended exchange between the two Decepticons and John Cena’s Agent Burns, in which a veiled threat against Earth is made much more explicit: “If our common enemy isn’t found … We’ll burn the whole planet to cinders.”

Directed by Travis Knight (Kubo and the Two Strings) from a script by Christina Hodson, Bumblebee stars Hailee Steinfeld, John Cena, Jorge Lendeborg Jr., Pamela Adlon, Jason Drucker, Abby Quinn, Rachel Crow, Ricardo Hoyos and Gracie Dzienny. The film arrives Dec. 21.

Cybetronian and human interspecies romance is degenerate and should be treated as an abomination. Also it's still weird to me that that's Blitzwing when the head shape and colors is clearly Starscream. Cool to see G1 looks for both Soundwave and Shockwave.

Last edited:

Futaleufu

Cybetronian and human interspecies romance is degenerate and should be treated as an abomination.

2zf7.gif

Joe T.

This has me geeking out. This is what the Transformers should have always looked like. I'm really hoping this movie does well in theaters so the franchise can continue down this path.

JimiNutz

Banned
Wow this looks so much better than the shit Bay spewed up for all these years.
Even the action sequences look a lot better.

Catphish

omg I am so hyped.

This is what the Transformers movies should have been from the beginning, but better late than never. 👍

A glimpse of the design style these movies should have had. Though it's probably better we didn't get that look as these movies are boring crud regardless of the design, so it'd only feel like a bigger waste.

Mohonky

The G1 style is what they should always have been from the start. The Bay version of the Transformers were nothing like the originals.

Why was it so hard for them to finally come around to these designs?

longdi

Banned
I am an old fart, and these G1 designs look good to me still.

How are the young viewers reacting to them?

Bayformers used the excuse that G1 designs would look gaudy in a live action movie, hence they went all metallic, spikes and sharp knees.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Im a little shocked how bad the Cybertron/Optimus shots look, very ugly CG. Hopefully its just super early.

Xiaoki

The G1 style is what they should always have been from the start. The Bay version of the Transformers were nothing like the originals.

Micheal Bay is not the Director and Executive Producer for Bumblebee, Bay is just a Producer.

Ka-Kui

I watched the first movie due to my childhood and all that; which was ok but thought it had some serious flaws. Then the second movie completely pissed me off. I was dragged into watching the 3rd and 4th, and after that I said no more.

Now I see G1 designs... and I'll be honest... I'm getting suckered into watching another one of these films.

hecatomb

Banned
Cybetronian and human interspecies romance is degenerate and should be treated as an abomination. Also it's still weird to me that that's Blitzwing when the head shape and colors is clearly Starscream. Cool to see G1 looks for both Soundwave and Shockwave.
Guess you haven't heard, Japan is already working on sex-bots

Just saw the trailer. Holy shit. I’m in. Girl hit the right notes as a human sidekick. Visual and audio was on point. Trailer should be held up as what other movies should strive for. Music moved me well.

Great job!

cr0w

Old Member

I'm having flashbacks to when Beast Wars came out.

kunonabi

G1 designs are nice but yeah the cg is kind of weak. I'm still not sold on the movie but I might rent it just to see Angela Basset as a Transformer. I'm not really feeling the lead and that weird romance between her and bumblebee they hinted at initially is still weird.

Sleepydays

Banned
This approach is all I ever wanted from a TF movie in terms of design. The Bay designs were painful: characters often indistinguishable from the next, fight sequences that basically looked like swarms of cutlery...and that's before we touch on the tone of those films. This looks more promising on that front, too.

It's too bad all this G1 stuff is prob relegated to a 5 min flashback or explanation sequence. Maybe they'll get a clue and do a whole movie one day.

Last edited:

mrkgoo

Saw this yesterday with my kid. It's pretty great. I was hoping it would be something super special and mind-glowingly amazing, but as it stands, just a great movie.

It's miles ahead of any of the previous Transformers movies, of which I think only the first movie is of any value (and even that has very little).

I don't say this lightly, but Bumblebee should've been the first transformers movie. Well, I guess given the stupid success the other transformers movies have been, I'
m probably wrong from a financial perspective. It's just the movie *I* would've wanted. It reminds me of the kinds of 80s kids adventure movies I used to watch when I was young.

Top Bottom