• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers One: SHOCKINGLY good!

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just got back from the new CG Transformers One flick and it is WAAAAAY better than it has any right to be, bordering on being actually good! It's not as kiddie as the trailer suggests, with some fairly deep themes about workers vs elites, being red pilled (this is strongly brought out by having Lawrence Fishburn as a character), and a lot of deep state manipulating you type stuff that, while being aimed at kids, really hits for adults watching. The "Optimus Prime and Megatron were once friends" bit is done fairly well, not quite a perfect landing but works well enough even when you know where the film is going. I loved all the classic Transformers call-backs, most of the humor hits, and the "go-bot" insult....oh that was a classic :p

For a modest 75 mill I thought it looked great, the action was well done, and I could definitely stand for a sequel exploring the alien guys and fleshing out the autobot/decepticon dynamic. I long for the classic voices but we sorta get there and they do throw in the old transformer sound a bit. A nice pairing with the more recent live action films which I think really hit the 80's vibe. Not sure if there is a single vision at Hasbro for these recent films but it gives me GREAT hope for the upcoming Transformers/GI Joe movie if it can carry the torch.

Still don't think the Transformers ecology makes any sense but no Cybertron based show has ever really cracked it IMHO so it is what it is.

And it had a trailer for Sonic 3, goddamn that one looks good! But the trailer for "The Wild Robot" has the animals talking, for some reason that really killed interest for me and my son, not sure why. But it got my daughter on board, not sure why :p Moana 2 looks like more of the same, so that's on my dance ticket as well, I guess.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Yeah, there isn't any real connection (or foreshadowing from what I can tell) that this film would tie into the Bay transformers stuff, even though Bay and Spielberg are listed as producers. I'd be pretty happy with this being a series of cybertron based transformers adventures with no humans. They could do some "cosmic adventure" stuff pretty easily or just delve into cybertrons past as its basically a post-apocalyptic setting already.

ManaByte

Yeah, there isn't any real connection (or foreshadowing from what I can tell) that this film would tie into the Bay transformers stuff, even though Bay and Spielberg are listed as producers. I'd be pretty happy with this being a series of cybertron based transformers adventures with no humans. They could do some "cosmic adventure" stuff pretty easily or just delve into cybertrons past as its basically a post-apocalyptic setting already.
The Bay universe is dead. It was rebooted with Bumblebee and Rise of the Beasts.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The Bay universe is dead. It was rebooted with Bumblebee and Rise of the Beasts.
I'm sure they would work in elements if they could, though not sure how (or why) they would need to. Wouldn't surprise me to see Josh Duhamel or Tyrese or the other soldier types show up as old Joes though, would be kinda cool. I actually liked the Joe films, zany as they were, so some light nods to those films would be ok. A little Sienna Miller as Baroness (if she could still fit into the catsuit) would always be nice :p Def not a fan of the Bay Transformers "jagged shards of metal" design though.

Anyway, in this series I'm not bound to slavish devotion to what came before. The last 2 Transformers films were great and I prefer that series continue.

But get Marky Mark to be Zartan or Major Bludd, that'd be a hoot. I actually think a coked up Shia would be an AWESOME Tomax and Xamot :p

I saw it earlier today and was surprised myself. The original series is a childhood love so I admit to being heavily biased towards it in the extreme. The first Bay movie was fun but each just got worse as it went on and Bumblebee and RoTB were a step up from those. This one was easily better than than the last two though I felt that it took a bit to really get going and was a bit predictable in several parts.

For some reason they decided to have what were the worst parts in the trailer as the rest was a lot better. I am extremely happy that they let the serious scenes later on stay serious as I was just waiting for something stupid to happen but was thankful that it didn't.

And since I'm part of that first gen that watched I found myself looking at every background character to see who they were and ended up pretty much picking them all out.

jason10mm

Gold Member
How long into the movie until they transform. And what are they called prior to becoming transformers?
Early plot spoilers some transformers can always transform, they are the larger "elites". But the story focuses on smaller 'cogless' robots that can't transform because they were 'born' without a cog, so they are the menial laborers instead, working endlessly to mine energon in the hopes of getting promoted up

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Early plot spoilers some transformers can always transform, they are the larger "elites". But the story focuses on smaller 'cogless' robots that can't transform because they were 'born' without a cog, so they are the menial laborers instead, working endlessly to mine energon in the hopes of getting promoted up

Sorry that last part made me chuckle lol

"In the hopes of"

not funny transformers GIF

Edit: Haven't seen it yet

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
The old class warfare.

Kadve

Well to be fair. Transformers has been about class divides ever since the G1 days with the whole "Quintesson building Deceptions as military hardware and Autobots as menial ones" bit.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The old class warfare.
Yeah, pretty much.

There isn't much from a 'normal' transformers POV, its all from the cogless miner bots (and I can't help but see "miner" and "minor", especially given their smaller size compared to the 'adult' transformers, being a subtextual theme of child labor in mines). So all the regular transformers we see are bad guys, the leader, his spider girl Friday, and (literally) faceless minions, the couple overseers. So are all the 'coged' transformers in on the plan to deprive some of their cogs and make them slave labor? Or where they somehow convinced it was necessary based on the loss of free flowing energon? Or are they as much in the dark, all mind wiped or just ignorant of what it was like before the Primes fell?

But there is certainly a strong labor vs elites vibe, which is odd since we are kinda seeing a flip of those demographics with political alignments, so they do a good job keeping it apolitical (there is no obvious MAGA or obama imagery, for example) but a fairly youth centered perspective of the haves and have nots.

Even the bit with Arcee (or whatever the ScarJo one was called) being "better than you at everything" was still in service to Optimus' story, they threaded that needle to keep from being a girlboss but still having her be a supreme fighter (they all basically are). But she is a distinct support character.

I haven't seen it yet but it sounds like it's actually closer to the IDW comics where your alt form dictated your role in society. It even uses similar origins of the Autobot and Decepticon name.

Last edited:

wondermega

Just got back from it, it was fine. I guess better than I would have expected it to be, but if my friends hadn't dragged me to it, I would have happily waited to catch it on streaming. As a kid who grew up with these in the 1980s, it's been fascinating to watch the genesis of the line and see where it has wound up today (still relevant!) I got pretty spoiled by the opening sequence of Bumblebee many years ago and was hoping beyond hope that we'd see something more approaching that. Obviously this was way jokier/kiddy, but I mean - it IS a film about toys, that's really gonna have to be their main demographic for this, and I can understand that! Anyway, way more watchable than most of the Bay films, and of course that dull/bleak Netflix show.

I definitely have some criticisms about the plot but it was fine for what it was.

MayauMiao

Honestly I thought it was a Netflix movie made for kids given its cartoony character design and I don't recall seeing any ads for this lately.

Codes 208

I love seeing most reviews and journalists giving it 7-9 out of 10 and then theres IGN giving it a 5.

I personally really enjoyed it, easily the best movie since the original movie
Shia stopped after 2 movies lol
3 movies. Dark of the Moon was the last one he was in.

It was implied he was killed before the events of age of extinction

Last edited:
Top Bottom