• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Toxi

Banned
As much as I love Beast Wars, the last three episodes are really weak.
So many characters get pointlessly killed off.

I really wish they got their fourth season to properly develop the Vok and Tigerhawk (or was that just a rumour?)

Honestly I think Season 3 was the weakest part of the series, even if the CG was at its peak. Season 1 was more consistent in tone and had the mystery of the aliens going for it and Season 2 was just firing on all cylinders. Season 3 has got good stuff like Blackarachnia's heel turn but it's small potatoes compared to how rushed it feels. Plus Rampage was a total wash as a character; Hes a robot Hannibal Lecter! He should have been the best character and as soon as Bad Spark is over he's a chump.

It's pretty nifty how Beast Wars has no terrible human characters and still managed to have a horrible episode about the cave people.
Season 3 is definitely weaker than Seasons 1 and 2. While it still had plenty of good character moments, every episode felt like it was haphazardly introducing a new character or power-up. Optimal Situation, Deep Metal, Feral Scream, Crossing the Rubicon, Other Victories... There was no real time for the cast to breathe like they did in Seasons 1 and 2, especially when the focus was split with the protohumans. And then the ending is pretty clearly rushed.
Speaking of Dinobot, his clone suddenly gaining memories and honour was kinda bullcrap, especially without Dark Glass.
I think it's okay if you see it as the original Dinobot gaining control of the clone somehow and not the clone actually becoming like the original Dinobot. But they really could have used Dark Glass.

Savitar

As much as I love Beast Wars, the last three episodes are really weak.
So many characters get pointlessly killed off.

I really wish they got their fourth season to properly develop the Vok and Tigerhawk (or was that just a rumour?)

Honestly I think Season 3 was the weakest part of the series, even if the CG was at its peak. Season 1 was more consistent in tone and had the mystery of the aliens going for it and Season 2 was just firing on all cylinders. Season 3 has got good stuff like Blackarachnia's heel turn but it's small potatoes compared to how rushed it feels. Plus Rampage was a total wash as a character; Hes a robot Hannibal Lecter! He should have been the best character and as soon as Bad Spark is over he's a chump.

It's pretty nifty how Beast Wars has no terrible human characters and still managed to have a horrible episode about the cave people.

All the deaths are due to being told by Hasbro who to kill and some times not knowing what is suppose to happen until the last moment. By the time season 3 came Hasbro fully was dictating a lot more things than the previous two seasons. It's why some things happened the way it did or got mixed up.

Cheerilee

Well that last arc was written by Furman, after all. Which is also why suddenly there's a book of holy scripture and a prophecy Megatron and Primal know by heart but we've never seen or heard mentioned before, because Furman can't do "epic finale" without that. It was a very disappointing wrap up for the show. They peaked with "The Agenda."

Speaking of Dinobot, his clone suddenly gaining memories and honour was kinda bullcrap, especially without Dark Glass.
I always figured that "Nemesis Part 1" was the typical Bob Forward/Larry DiTillio season-ending cliffhanger (with some ideas in place for how to get out of it), but then Bob and Larry were basically fired/told that Beast Wars was being shut down by Hasbro, and Bob and Larry felt crushed and didn't have the heart to write a series finale, but they thought the show deserved one, so they handed that job off to Simon Furman, who used some of their pre-prepared get-out-of-the-cliffhanger ideas to make "Nemesis Part 2" and was allowed to tweak Nemesis Part 1 to make things blend smoother. I think this much has been mostly confirmed.

Since they were adding one additional final episode to a strict 13 episode season, they had to cut one episode, and that ended up being Dark Glass, even though it was a canon episode long enough to influence Nemesis Parts 1&2. This is entirely not confirmed, as there are conflicting reasons given for why the episode was cut.

Basically it just comes down to "Why the fuck did Hasbro dump Bob and Larry? Bunch of idiot executives don't know when they've got a great thing going."

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
They dumped them because Beast Wars had made the brand a thriving moneymaker for Hasbro again and they suddenly cared about steering it once more. DiTillio and Forward have both talked about coming on the project at the beginning when Hasbro was basically writing off Transformers as a dead brand and giving it one more time at bat, and other than being told which characters they had to use to promote the toys they had no real instructions.

They ended up writing a surprisingly intricate character-driven story that eventually tied into G1 when they discovered the adult fanbase online and got input from them, and the whole Beast Wars thing caught fire. Then, as executives do, Hasbro decided to take the wheel and promptly drove the brand off a cliff. I went from buying everything released each year to buying maybe one or two per year for half a decade.

Also, Nemesis was always to be two parts at the end of the series. "Dark Glass" wasn't dropped to make room, it was replaced with "Go With The Flow." The fandom has their own conspiracy theories, but from what I've heard over the years, the explanation that Hasbro, which was already becoming more controlling at that point, decided "Dark Glass" was too dark and death-fixated to go to air, seems to be the real story.

Weiss

Banned
I always figured that "Nemesis Part 1" was the typical Bob Forward/Larry DiTillio season-ending cliffhanger (with some ideas in place for how to get out of it), but then Bob and Larry were basically fired/told that Beast Wars was being shut down by Hasbro, and Bob and Larry felt crushed and didn't have the heart to write a series finale, but they thought the show deserved one, so they handed that job off to Simon Furman, who used some of their pre-prepared get-out-of-the-cliffhanger ideas to make "Nemesis Part 2" and was allowed to tweak Nemesis Part 1 to make things blend smoother. I think this much has been mostly confirmed.

Since they were adding one additional final episode to a strict 13 episode season, they had to cut one episode, and that ended up being Dark Glass, even though it was a canon episode long enough to influence Nemesis Parts 1&2. This is entirely not confirmed, as there are conflicting reasons given for why the episode was cut.

Basically it just comes down to "Why the fuck did Hasbro dump Bob and Larry? Bunch of idiot executives don't know when they've got a great thing going."

From what I can tell, Dark Glass got replaced with Go With The Flow because the former was too dark and didn't have enough action.

I really didn't follow the Beast Wars era at all, so others' perspectives on it are always informative to me. At least we can say that Hasbro has become more savvy nowadays regarding when to let writers have free reign, right?

Cheerilee

I really didn't follow the Beast Wars era at all, so others' perspectives on it are always informative to me. At least we can say that Hasbro has become more savvy nowadays regarding when to let writers have free reign, right?

After Lauren Faust almost singlehandedly put My Little Pony back on the map with season one of Friendship is Magic, Hasbro grabbed the reigns away from her, so she quit. The new showrunners appreciate and are grateful for the limited amount of slack that Hasbro gives them.

Hasbro screwed up Transformers Prime by leading Kurtzman and Orci to believe that the show was being cancelled, while it was a smashing success and keeping it going was actually one of Hasbro's top priorities. Guess they should've told K&O that.

Weiss

Banned
Can't be tried if you never find the Knights of Cybertron

tumblr_inline_ol2yal2Bzm1t0t26s_500.jpg

Savitar

In a better world my friend, in a better world.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I doubt I'll ever watch TF Prime again, but Smokescreen was one of the best parts of it. I give your thread two Nolan Norths up.

Beth Cyra

I couldn't finish Prime.

It had beats I like (though Magnus getting Warfed sucked for me lol) and great performances but I hated the designs and the setting.

Plus I missed the anime look of Armada the CG Transformers just puts me off.

Savitar

As long as Roberts gets to keep writing about gay robots in space then I'm happy.

I only wish some of the silliness was cut out as was some of the characters feeling samey in that they are silly or weird.

It's the best TF stuff out there but at the same time I feel it could be even more epic if it was just played with a tad more seriousness with comedy bits thrown in instead of comedy with serious bits thrown in.

I only wish some of the silliness was cut out as was some of the characters feeling samey in that they are silly or weird.

It's the best TF stuff out there but at the same time I feel it could be even more epic if it was just played with a tad more seriousness with comedy bits thrown in instead of comedy with serious bits thrown in.

Fuck that, epicness is seriously overrated. Epic moments in MTMTE feel truly epic because they're rare, you can't have them in every arc or they become meaningless.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Fuck that, epicness is seriously overrated. Epic moments in MTMTE feel truly epic because they're rare, you can't have them in every arc or they become meaningless.

Yup. And they only matter as much as they do when they happen because we know the characters so well and are invested in them.

So Titan Class Trypticon has been revealed, according to Seibertron.

Looks pretty decent, and I mean...its clearly Trypticon. Not sure how excited I am for this one compared to Fort Max last year, I don't feel like the differences differentiate it too much from the original at the moment...that said, I'll probably end up picking it up for my collection *sigh*

muteki

Assuming it is the real deal, I wish Fort Max was that G1 accurate. It's almost too accurate lol. Hopefully the transformation is better. Patiently waiting for Scorponok though.

Being able to get more articulation out of the hips and ankles would go a long way for me, but given how those legs filet out traditionally for city mode I can understand that being difficult.

Drayco21

Finally saw some new stuff for the first time since the Christmas rush, went to buy Kickback and Gnaw, they rang out at Deluxe prices. Hope it was just a weird system thing, and not the new MSRP for Legends, but since its sounding like the movie line is heralding a price increase elsewhere, it might be the case. Gross.

Yup, that looks like Trypticon.

This feels like one of those designs that is so slavish to the original that it comes to the detriment of the toy- really seems like it'll be only slightly more articulated than the original.

I mean, I'm still buying him, because fuck yeah, Trypticon, but I wish the line would move away from just how snared to the G1 figures it's been.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
This feels like one of those designs that is so slavish to the original that it comes to the detriment of the toy- really seems like it'll be only slightly more articulated than the original.

I mean, I'm still buying him, because fuck yeah, Trypticon, but I wish the line would move away from just how snared to the G1 figures it's been.

Considering articulation in the original was limited to opening the mouth and hands and turning the head about 45 degrees each way, I'm thinking that's not the case.

Already we know the Titan Class version has ankle tilts and knee joints, so being able to move the legs out as well as back and forth is almost certain. The arms themselves are free to pose however one likes, unlike the original whose arms were locked to the position of the legs. There's apparently a "new gimmick" involving the head that has not been revealed yet that's supposed to be really neat, but we'll see if that results in limited neck articulation.

I mean it won't be doing a ton of different poses, but it's a giant T-Rex. There's only so much you can do with that body type.

All the Titan class toys have been pretty much straight updates of the originals, lame base modes included, which is why I have skipped all of them except for Devastator. I don't really have much use for a toy the size of a baby that transforms into a random collection of ramps and blocks, iconic as these characters may be.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Trypticon's base mode was always better than the others' anyway. Looks like they put some effort into giving him interiors, too, unlike Metroplex and Fort Max.

TFW is already trying to figure out how they'll retool him into Scorponok.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
After Metroplex/Fort Max and Devastator, what were you expecting? All the Titan Class figures are G1 to hell and back, for better or worse. Titan Class Omega Supreme isn't going to turn into the Ark, either (even though that would be awesome).

Well, there's always Planet X's Apolcalypse?

$200 more for a smaller version of a worse design doesn't seem like a great deal to me. Even as a huge Trypticon fan, I'm passing on that one, and would be even without the Titan Class figure in the pipeline. Of course, I was thoroughly unimpressed by Planet X's Omega Supreme previously, so that doesn't help.

NEO0MJ

After Metroplex/Fort Max and Devastator, what were you expecting? All the Titan Class figures are G1 to hell and back, for better or worse.

What I meant was more how close it looks to the toy. Unlike the two you mentioned who got some design update to look closer to their cartoon/ modern interpretations, what we have here was described best by Mike M, taking the old toy and adding groves and articulation.

What I meant was more how close it looks to the toy. Unlike the two you mentioned who got some design update to look closer to their cartoon/ modern interpretations, what we have here was described best by Mike M, taking the old toy and adding groves and articulation.

Yeah, it's kind of odd how they even included those purple feet struts that the old toy had for its mechanized walk, because I'm assuming this one won't have that gimmick. If they're there just for toy accuracy, that really crosses the line from "faithful" into "straight up dumb".

Yeah, it's kind of odd how they even included those purple feet struts that the old toy had for its mechanized walk, because I'm assuming this one won't have that gimmick. If they're there just for toy accuracy, that really crosses the line from "faithful" into "straight up dumb".

Many "toy faithful" or "cartoon faithful" features are really dumb, including extra accessories for animation errors, that silly harness for Inferno to carry Red Alert or the extra sled for Ironhide/Ratchet.

Are there fans who buy figures only if they can accurately reproduce every single scene that character was in?
Who am I kidding? Of course there are.

I need to see more pics of Tryp, hoping it grows on me. It just seems kinda redundant to be so close to the G1 vesion when they recently rereleased the old toy too.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

In addition to providing extra horizontal stability in wider stance poses, they're probably there to turn into laser cannons, like they did on the original toy.

True, but since the cartoon model for Trypticon was always ugly as ever-living fuck, I kind of prefer the direction they took.

Would I have liked to have seen the Monstrocity design instead? Yeah, maybe, but I'm still happy with this.

Weiss

Banned
Question about MTMTE #55: When Ravage tells Megatron
not to change back when he's wearing the Decepticon emblem, is he telling Megatron to stay as a Decepticon (and not change back to an Autobot) or to not change back into one?

Drayco21

Question about MTMTE #55: When Ravage tells Megatron
not to change back when he's wearing the Decepticon emblem, is he telling Megatron to stay as a Decepticon (and not change back to an Autobot) or to not change back into one?

I think it's intentionally a little ambiguous.
I've always interpreted it as the latter; Ravage stuck around on the Lost Light long enough that I think he came around a bit to Megatron's new line of thinking, and agrees that he's better as an Autobot, and he doesn't want to see his friend sink back into the self-loathing and destructive person he was during the war.

I'm also going with "intentionally ambiguous". Even the wiki agrees! :)

I also personally agree that
Ravage realized how much better for everyone the new Megatron is.

Got my BBTS pile of loot today. Swerve, Arcee, Windblade, Whirl, Chromedome and Brainstorm. I'm mostly caught up on my favourites for now. Next will be Overlord when he eventually turns up.

Got my BBTS pile of loot today. Swerve, Arcee, Windblade, Whirl, Chromedome and Brainstorm. I'm mostly caught up on my favourites for now. Next will be Overlord when he eventually turns up.

All excellent picks, what a pile of loot indeed. Whirl may be my least favorite of the bunch so you may want to open that one first.

All excellent picks, what a pile of loot indeed. Whirl may be my least favorite of the bunch so you may want to open that one first.

His arm is a bit loose, but I like how unconvential he is. He's obviously not as stylized as the comic version, but that's the art style.

Windblade is a bit weak, but I think I'll like her more when she pops up in the story.

I think Swerve is the best. :D

Drayco21

Pretty psyched about the leaked TLK Voyager Megatron and Scourge; both look pretty solid from the, admittedly blurry images. Depending on how much they share with the last ones, the new deluxe Drift and voyager Hound might be must haves too. Legion Crosshair is okay, but I hope he gets a brand new Deluxe mold- his design is super hard to do in toy form, but I want to see them give it another shot.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
C45N3tsUoAAg5fg.jpg

You can see Nautica, a Blurr/Brainstorm retool, in the back there on the shelf with box-mates Quickswitch (Sixshot repaint), Thunderclash (Voy Prime repaint), and Fastlane (?).

Drayco21

It'd be nice if she wasn't apparently coming in a $150 boxset with a bunch of random characters. Hopefully that leak is wrong, but they've been on the money so far.

Top Bottom