• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers |OT| Transform and roll out...

Weiss

Banned
Speaking of Rung, I think the big secret behind
his alt mode is that he's some kind of conduit in a machine.

Got in Sovereign. So nice. The transformation to his cannon mode is kinda crappy though. But wow so much metal and looks great in bot mode.

So good

31632653984_5c109bc632_b.jpg

Doesn't transform? Boo-urns.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Other than a slight hint with the backstory behind the guiding hand mythology did Unicron get another mention?

Nope, but
I can't believe it's not in the cards eventually, especially given the Functionalists' reaction to discovering what Rung's purpose is.

Kultur isn't white Carnifex level amazing but he's really good. Two more to go for a full DJD!

Four more, sir. Don't dare forget The Pet and Nickel.

Nope, but
I can't believe it's not in the cards eventually, especially given the Functionalists' reaction to discovering what Rung's purpose is.

That's some leap of logic...
"Functionists alarmed at Rung's alt mode function = UNICRON!" Rung himself warns them that if they destroy him it will be the end of everything (which may mean a literal everything or just the functionist's rule), which doesn't mesh well with him being a component of Unicron.
IIRC IDW are averse to putting Unicron in their universe and I can understand the many reasons why. In particular I think it's a terrible fit for MTMTE which has much more subtle threats.

Also, going back to read issue 38 (which is amazing, the Elegant Chaos arc might be my favorite in the entire series), allowed me to realize
yet another time-travelling reference I missed the first time: Cyclonus shooting the guard with the sparkeater gun in the past Lost Light, which turns him into the sparkeater they discover on board the Lost Light in issue 3. I also love how very Brainstorm is to make a gun that has every chance to make the situation worse, just because he can. :D

It's kind of funny how
a fully transforming Pet figure would be a huge walking spoiler. :D

I could live without them if I'm being honest. Would I buy them if they got made? Duh, but that's not the point here. Apparently we're gonna be getting some pics of the MMC Rodimus here soon and I really hope they start moving forward on their Drift. Sucks Roadbuster got moved to April.

Egh. I otherwise like Metzen but I dislike everything Transformers I've read from him, and I hate Livio Ramondelli's art with a passion. I have trouble imagining how you can dislike MTMTE's art and be able to stomach Ramondelli's, but to each their own, I guess.

Ugh, is Primacy also Metzen/Ramondelli? I can't stand the art, luckily he's never (so far) on MTMTE, just the miniseries. I just browse through them and assume I'm missing all details. Also, Metzen's first series was mostly '86 fanwank.

Aside from Ramondelli who is a regular, Transformers has pretty damn good art. The first Chaos arc with Galvatron was horrible though, and the Nightbeat spotlight as well. Also didn't like it when Figueroa went all Bay on his designs. But apart from these, IDW has had a great run from day one, including Infiltration.

Ugh, is Primacy also Metzen/Ramondelli? I can't stand the art, luckily he's never (so far) on MTMTE, just the miniseries. I just browse through them and assume I'm missing all details. Also, Metzen's first series was mostly '86 fanwank.

Aside from Ramondelli who is a regular, Transformers has pretty damn good art. The first Chaos arc with Galvatron was horrible though, and the Nightbeat spotlight as well. Also didn't like it when Figueroa went all Bay on his designs. But apart from these, IDW has had a great run from day one, including Infiltration.

I just realized I'm silly and thought your post was from Aske, who said he didn't like MTMTE's art. Sorry and forget all about that part.

Ramondelli hasn't drawn any mainline comic since Dark Cybertron I think, and he hasn't drawn any IDW TF comic, period, since 2015's Redemption. Considering the amazing artists IDW otherwise has, it's probably safe to assume they won't be using him in the near future, good riddance

Just came across these weird Transformers...

http://hobby.dengeki.com/news/330760/

Man, such a perfect opportunity for a Soundwave, and they make yet another Optimus, Megatron and Bumblebee. Not like it matters as they are all pretty bad...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
"Functionists alarmed at Rung's alt mode function = UNICRON!" Rung himself warns them that if they destroy him it will be the end of everything (which may mean a literal everything or just the functionist's rule), which doesn't mesh well with him being a component of Unicron.
IIRC IDW are averse to putting Unicron in their universe and I can understand the many reasons why. In particular I think it's a terrible fit for MTMTE which has much more subtle threats.

Also, going back to read issue 38 (which is amazing, the Elegant Chaos arc might be my favorite in the entire series), allowed me to realize
yet another time-travelling reference I missed the first time: Cyclonus shooting the guard with the sparkeater gun in the past Lost Light, which turns him into the sparkeater they discover on board the Lost Light in issue 3. I also love how very Brainstorm is to make a gun that has every chance to make the situation worse, just because he can. :D

Most of the big reveals in IDW require some pretty drastic leaps. You're right that
IDW has been smart to avoid Unicron, but I'm expecting a very slow build to some kind of Unicron climax near the end of what Roberts would term "Season 5." Given we're only just starting Season 3, there's a long way to go, but I think it'll get there eventually.

It's kind of funny how

Only if you know
what the spoiler is already. Besides, by the time MMC finally gets that out it'll be what, almost two years since that issue? That's well past the expiration date of that particular plot point, IMO.
I mean I know we play it extra safe here because newcomers to the book are pretty common due to the nature of the thread, but I'm not going to hold third party toymakers to that standard.

Weiss

Banned
My biggest fear regarding MTMTE is that Hasbro will demand Megatron become a villain again and undo all of Roberts' work.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
My biggest fear regarding MTMTE is that Hasbro will demand Megatron become a villain again and undo all of Roberts' work.

Hasbro's not stupid. At least not that stupid. They know they have a good thing going with Roberts, and internally they love what he's done with the character. I wouldn't look for any heel/face turns from him in the cartoons any time soon, but beyond the occasional "please feature these upcoming toy characters" and requesting Optimus Prime show up regularly (no longer a problem now that he has his own book, obviously), they don't mess with the IDW books much. If they didn't like Megatron as an Autobot they probably wouldn't have included an Autobot symbol sticker with the Combiner Wars leader figure.

Tizoc

It's kind of funny how
"Whereas the weapons you make"
"Are bad for other people"

If they didn't like Megatron as an Autobot they probably wouldn't have included an Autobot symbol sticker with the Combiner Wars leader figure.

I didn't know that, neat! But yeah, Hasbro must be really, really pleased with MTMTE and the end of the war in general considering how well in general the comics are doing (three simultaneous ongoings!), plus adult collectors are a very sweet market to have. The fact that they've been making figures of otherwise C-list characters very clearly based on their MTMTE versions like Swerve and Tailgate, and adding MTMTE references to others such as Rewind and CW Ultra Magnus also speaks volumes.

Hasbro in general is very smart in terms of pleasing their adult fanbase, the entire Generations line is a love letter to G1 fans. They are pretty clever in having a Transformers property pretty much for every age group: Rescue Bots for younger kids, Robots in Disguise for older kids, the movies for teenagers, and the comics for adults; each and every of them with their own toyline (if you consider Generations the comics toyline).

"Whereas the weapons you make"
"Are bad for other people"

Hahah, indeed. Coincidentally one of my favorite quips in the entire series.

I didn't know that, neat! But yeah, Hasbro must be really, really pleased with MTMTE and the end of the war in general considering how well in general the comics are doing (three simultaneous ongoings!), plus adult collectors are a very sweet market to have. The fact that they've been making figures of otherwise C-list characters very clearly based on their MTMTE versions like Swerve and Tailgate, and adding MTMTE references to others such as Rewind and CW Ultra Magnus also speaks volumes.

Rewind wouldn't even exist without the comics, except possibly "hey, what colours should we make this Rumble repaint?". See also: Eject.

I'm still curious why Hasbro stopped including the comics with the toys. Cost savings or the average consumer didn't really care and if they did they bought it already.

Drayco21

The vote for the finalists in the next Prime thing is live; results tba later this month. You can vote once daily.

I'm still curious why Hasbro stopped including the comics with the toys. Cost savings or the average consumer didn't really care and if they did they bought it already.

I think it's probably largely cost saving, but to some extent, there was a lot of vocal complaining about the comics too- they rarely had anything to do with the actual toy being bought, they were frequently censored and somehow constructed wrong with pages/panels out of order a lot of times. They probably realized they weren't going to get too much flak if they dropped them.

I actually kinda dig the collector cards more, though I miss the in-universe IDW psych profiles on the backs and the toy concept art that would usually come with the comics.

Beth Cyra

The vote for the finalists in the next Prime thing is live; results tba later this month. You can vote once daily.

I think it's probably largely cost saving, but to some extent, there was a lot of vocal complaining about the comics too- they rarely had anything to do with the actual toy being bought, they were frequently censored and somehow constructed wrong with pages/panels out of order a lot of times. They probably realized they weren't going to get too much flak if they dropped them.

I actually kinda dig the collector cards more, though I miss the in-universe IDW psych profiles on the backs and the toy concept art that would usually come with the comics.
Yep yep.

Been up since yesterday.

Gunna vote my boy Magnus everyday to show the poor guy love.

It was annoying for me when I imported figures that came with random issues I hadn't yet read in the collections. It made sense when they used Spotlights, but those obviously don't work for everyone.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I got my Wei Jiang MPP-10 (oversized Masterpiece Prime knock-off) yesterday and I've been playing with it for hours.

It's a massive figure (just taller than a 30cm ruler) and really solid. I got it for 60 bucks which is a steal considering how much official figures cost.

Got

Banned
I got my Wei Jiang MPP-10 (oversized Masterpiece Prime knock-off) yesterday and I've been playing with it for hours.

It's a massive figure (just taller than a 30cm ruler) and really solid. I got it for 60 bucks which is a steal considering how much official figures cost.

get the trailer. it compliments it so well. a superb overall figure.

get the trailer. it compliments it so well. a superb overall figure.

I didn't know there was an oversized trailer as well. I see it costs over 80$, which is a shame, otherwise I might have got one to complement my MP01, since the oversized MP10 is not much bigger than it.

Aske

Got in Sovereign. So nice. The transformation to his cannon mode is kinda crappy though. But wow so much metal and looks great in bot mode.

Me too! I actually love his transformation: it feels much more solid than Tyrant's, both in terms of its mechanical engineering and the cannon itself. Tyrant's cannon looks better, no question, but Sovereign's feels better to me, and the shoulder ratchets hold up fine. They might appear not to because they definitely have too much play in the space between each tooth, but I was surprised by how solid they felt after seeing the videos.

Aside from my wish for a bluer, more movie coloured Galvatron, Sovereign is just...perfect. I can't find a single flaw with him. Everything looks right, everything feels right, everything works as it should. The face sculpt is actually superior to Tyrant's in person. Photos don't do it justice because FansToys opted to paint it Season 3 White rather than Movie Grey, and all the detail washes out in pictures when compared to Tyrant's greyer colouring. But while Tyrant is Tyrant, Sovereign is Galvatron.

Best thing about Sovereign is the paint. That's the big detail FansToys didn't have to add, but doing so elevates the figure far above the competition. I've been transforming him a ton, and the paint still looks new: there's no sign of chipping or flaking. The deep, rich, metallic purple looks spot on when compared to the cartoon, but the flecks of silver in it give it that sense of realism you want from a high-end interpretation of the cartoon design.

Haven't switched out his face yet, but the angry face is a superb accessory, as is the flight stand.

Also, I paid significantly less for this guy than Tyrant ($129 vs $169), and I feel he's worth far more. Every facet screams quality.

Despite all this, I still really like Tyrant. I was thinking he might end up on a shelf somewhere, to be largely ignored in favour of Sovereign; but for all his flaws, he has a ton of personality. I wouldn't suggest anyone buy him over Sovereign, but the dude just has a lot of zazz.

I badly need FansToys Hotrod now. Galvatron needs someone to fight.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
In terms of Masterpiece-level figures, Fanstoys is unmatched in the third party realm. I am impressed all over again every time I get one of their figures. My Sovereign is languishing in a pile of loot, hoping to wait until Grindor pops out later this month.

Aske

In terms of Masterpiece-level figures, Fanstoys is unmatched in the third party realm. I am impressed all over again every time I get one of their figures. My Sovereign is languishing in a pile of loot, hoping to wait until Grindor pops out later this month.

Can't wait for some impressions from you on both. The FT Dinobots are such things of beauty. I'm actually surprised I don't feel compelled to buy Grinder myself. I was the hugest Grimlock fan as a kid and always wanted the dinobot toys; but as an adult, the ones I'm jonesing for the most are the Season 3 bots that were introduced in the movie. After Galvatron; Hotrod, Cycolnus, and Arcee are the the only figures I know I'll buy for sure.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The Dinobots were my favorites as a kid, but as much as I liked Grimlock I always loved Sludge and Swoop the most. I got into Fanstoys stuff specifically to have properly sized MPs of the other four Dinobots, but the Takara MP Grimlock is so dinky next to them (even with the moon boots FT Scoria comes with for him) that I had to get the FT version to go with the rest. FT Stomp is seriously one of the greatest toys ever made.

I don't like Season 3 at all but I have to say I'm digging MP versions of the S3 designs more than I thought I would. They're such weird organic "Flash Gordon" designs with almost no heed paid to the fact that they're supposed to transform, it's neat to see how the various companies are figuring out how to make them work as three dimensional objects. X-Transbots' Scourge and Cyclonus are really nice.

Tizoc

OK serious question-
Gobots were an initial toyline that eventually became the Transformers we know now right?
So any chance Hasbro could integrate the GoBots into the TF line?

Speaking of Rung, I think the big secret behind
his alt mode is that he's some kind of conduit in a machine.

Surely he is
the key to all things

NEO0MJ

OK serious question-
Gobots were an initial toyline that eventually became the Transformers we know now right?
So any chance Hasbro could integrate the GoBots into the TF line?

Nope. Transformers were originally toys that belonged to the Diaclone line by Takara while GoBots beloned to bandai's Machine Robo line.

And GoBots did show up in Transformers!

7sj0VQB.jpg

I got a bucket of free Transformers from a customer at the place I work.

Lucky. What did you get? And why were you gifted?

Olengie

Lucky. What did you get? And why were you gifted?

Mostly Revenge of the Fallen Transformers, some Animated, and some random stuff.
*Revenge of the Fallen: Jetfire, The Fallen, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Ravage, Ironhide, Ratchet, Icecream Truck Mudflaps/Skids, Skids, Mudflap, Thrust, Dirge, Starscream, Arcee, Soundwave, Armorhide
*Dark of the Moon Megatron
*Animated Starscream, Megatron, Soundwave
*Megatron Armada (Re Deco)
*Universe Hardhead
And two others I can't tell

It happened randomly. I was helping out a customer and they noticed there was some Transformers on the shelves. They asked if anyone collected Transformers, cuz he had a tub of them at his house. I said I did and he asked if I wanted it. For Free. Said it was taking up space and he didn't want it anymore.

He left and came back to drop it off. He hooked it up.

I must've done some good customer service.

I liked these the most.

Weiss

Banned
Binge watching Beast Wars right now and I'm glad my childhood nostalgia isn't invalidated and it still is that good.

Especially the episode where Rhinox farts Megatron to death.

Cheerilee

I didn't see organic digestive systems in those organic shells. Except Cheetor's gut gun. Kind of surprised they never made a joke about the projectiles it shot smelling bad.

In the episode where Cheetor got caught by Tarantulas, Tarantulas said he was going to eat Cheetor, and Cheetor said that wouldn't work because he's not really organic, he's a robot in disguise (so how does beast mode protect Maximals/Predacons from energon radiation?), but Tarantulas said that his systems would "adjust" to tolerate him consuming a robot, and that he doesn't want to eat Cheetor for food (implying that Maximals/Predacons can survive by eating organics, further suggesting that they have organic digestive systems), he wants to eat Cheetor as a fun way to kill Cheetor.

NEO0MJ

Tarantulas was one perverted spawn of a glitch. He made it a habit to eat living creatures, which allowed Dinobot to catch him in Code of Hero.

Weiss

Banned
As much as I love Beast Wars, the last three episodes are really weak.
So many characters get pointlessly killed off.

I really wish they got their fourth season to properly develop the Vok and Tigerhawk (or was that just a rumour?)

Honestly I think Season 3 was the weakest part of the series, even if the CG was at its peak. Season 1 was more consistent in tone and had the mystery of the aliens going for it and Season 2 was just firing on all cylinders. Season 3 has got good stuff like Blackarachnia's heel turn but it's small potatoes compared to how rushed it feels. Plus Rampage was a total wash as a character; Hes a robot Hannibal Lecter! He should have been the best character and as soon as Bad Spark is over he's a chump.

It's pretty nifty how Beast Wars has no terrible human characters and still managed to have a horrible episode about the cave people.

NEO0MJ

I really wish they got their fourth season to properly develop the Vok and Tigerhawk (or was that just a rumour?

I don't know if it's true, but I do know that season 3 was rushed. Like, it seems Hasbro couldn't decided if they wanted Tigerhawk to live or die. First they wanted him to die and the studio did so, but then late into development they changed their minds however by then it was too late as the studio would have to redo a lot of finished work to undo that.

Weiss

Banned
I don't know if it's true, but I do know that season 3 was rushed. Like, it seems Hasbro couldn't decided if they wanted Tigerhawk to live or die. First they wanted him to die and the studio did so, but then late into development they changed their minds however by then it was too late as the studio would have to redo a lot of finished work to undo that.

Tigerhawk was so cool! We finally get Airazor and Tigatron back and then two episodes later they're dead!

Season 3 really suffers from being rushed in so many places, and that we got friggin' Beast Machines instead of a better Beast Wars is painful.

Anyway from what some research tells me season 4 would have gone into space to hunt Megatron and he'd be assisted by some Decepticons, Tigerhawk would have stuck around, and the Vok would be more important.

I'm actually really glad that Tigatron and Airazor are in Till All Are One. It feels like they're getting a chance this time.

Hey maybe Bob and Larry can do a Regeneration One for Beast Wars Season 4.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Tarantulas was one perverted spawn of a glitch. He made it a habit to eat living creatures, which allowed Dinobot to catch him in Code of Hero.

And of course Dinobot ate his own clone in "Double Dinobot."

As much as I love Beast Wars, the last three episodes are really weak.
So many characters get pointlessly killed off.

Well that last arc was written by Furman, after all. Which is also why suddenly there's a book of holy scripture and a prophecy Megatron and Primal know by heart but we've never seen or heard mentioned before, because Furman can't do "epic finale" without that. It was a very disappointing wrap up for the show. They peaked with "The Agenda."

Weiss

Banned
Speaking of Dinobot, his clone suddenly gaining memories and honour was kinda bullcrap, especially without Dark Glass.

Top Bottom