• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treyarch Found Out About Black Ops 6 On Game Pass Shortly Before Announcement

Draugoth

Gold Member
BO6-REVEAL-029.jpg
In an interview with Stephen Totilo, Treyarch production director Yale Miller was asked about the game launching on Game Pass and how the meeting with Activision and Microsoft went.

“It wasn’t that long ago, frankly,” Miller said of when the team found out.

He continued:

“I think it was a conversation, just internally with meeting with the Activision folks on those pieces, and talking about the opportunity for us. It was more like, ‘What does that mean?’”

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What does it mean?

It means your studio will be shut the fuck down if it doesn't perform in line with whatever arbitrary expectations they've put in place for this game.
I was just going to say, wait until they find out about layoffs and studio closures.

Banjo64

cumsessed
What does it mean? Sales will collapse on the Xbox platform and may suffer to some extent on PC also. You’ll now have to report metrics like ‘total shots fired’.

Just more clarification that Xbox is all in on Gamepass until they are not. It seems quite clearly, everything is up in the air on what to do

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
It insures I never buy a CoD game again and I’ve bought them all.

Thanks Phil for hooking me up and destroying their revenue.

Man is based.

Oppoi

"Hear the developers, support the developers" is in this case a tricky sentence. I'ts complicated.

Trogdor1123

I actually really want to see how this affects gp numbers, particularly on the pc side but also on console. I’d like Ms to continue to be strong in the console space

Gambit2483

Wouldn't be surprised if this was a decision that went damn-near down to the wire. Xbox basically pulled a "All chips in" bet with putting COD on Gamepass.

Gamepass is now without doubt the future of Xbox.

Ozriel

M$FT
What does it mean?

It means your studio will be shut the fuck down if it doesn't perform in line with whatever arbitrary expectations they've put in place for this game.

They’re not going to shut down Treyarch 🤣

What does it mean? Sales will collapse on the Xbox platform and may suffer to some extent on PC also. You’ll now have to report metrics like ‘total shots fired’.

They’ll take a dip in retail revenue, but if anything’s designed to get people to stay subscribed for months, it’s this. Potentially more MTX revenue too.

Launch day port for Switch 2 will also do very well.

They’re not going to shut down Treyarch 🤣

But they shut down those other two studios. That means they’ll shut down any studio who has a game underperform.

Never mind that GAF has been telling us for years that every Xbox game “underperforms” and zero Xbox users actually buy games.

clarky

Gold Member
The Gamepass subscription tiers are pretty weird. Can't tell if you can play multiplayer with Gamepass Core, or if you have to pay for the access? Gamepass Console only includes the campaign, while Gamepass PC includes everything for PC through Windows Store.

i'll quote myself from the other thread.

Nah your reading that wrong, its basically saying console gamepass members need core(the old gold) to play MP and core members(the old gold) need to upgrade to gamepass to play the actual game. its not worded very well.

Core : gets fuck all
gamepass regular: gets COD but need core or ultimate to play the mp
ultimate: you good to go.

MS fucked up when they decided not to include online with regular game pass, it makes no sense to me.

Gambit2483

I actually really want to see how this affects gp numbers, particularly on the pc side but also on console. I’d like Ms to continue to be strong in the console space
It will probably steady retention numbers for some players but I don't see too many people moving from Playstation or PC to create a GP sub account just for COD...now, once Gears, Perfect Dark and Fable (if its good) also releases, that's a different story.

clarky

Gold Member
I've always had GPU - for years - today is the first time I learned GP Console doesn't include MP. Wow. That's just odd.
yeah it makes no sense at all. Especially now that they are putting one of the biggest MP games on the planet on the service, except you can't play the MP.

Typical MS lol.

ManaByte

Gold Member
There are 100 million monthly active users on COD. They want that number up for the sweet MTX.

If anything the MAU will go up.

For starters You need to buy the Blacksite bundle* to access the beta and the game "early".

*Not available on gamepass.
Yes it is. The Vault upgrade is just $30.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So not included with Gamepass then. You just get a discount.

Edit: I see I wrote "available" in my original post, i meant included.

The vault upgrade is like the premium upgrade for starfield, you're getting what would usually cost $100 separately with a $30 upgrade for Game pass.

Top Bottom