• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treyarch Found Out About Black Ops 6 On Game Pass Shortly Before Announcement

Frwrd

I want to do things with her while @Ass of Can Whooping watches.
Interested Fran Healy GIF by Travis

clarky

Gold Member
Which is silly and another reason I likely play the MP on PS its where all my points are sitting
Nah if you buy CP on playstation they get the 30% cut, hence why you can't transfer them to say steam or xbox. They want you to buy and spend them on their platform. I don't think its a Activision thing.

Once you spend the points though your purchases are account wide.

I know all this from experience btw because i play between Steam and occasionally Xbox.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Nah if you buy CP on playstation they get the 30% cut, hence why you can't transfer them to say steam or xbox. They want you to buy and spend them on their platform. I don't think its a Activision thing.

Once you spend the points though your purchases are account wide.

I know all this from experience btw because i play between Steam and occasionally Xbox.
Its why I may stick with playing on PS since I have a ton of points sitting there and need to break down and buy some cool stuff in BO6 since rumors say next years title could be another BlOPs so skins might carry forward.

clarky

Gold Member
Its why I may stick with playing on PS since I have a ton of points sitting there and need to break down and buy some cool stuff in BO6 since rumors say next years title could be another BlOPs so skins might carry forward.
Shops always open through warzone you don't need to buy BLOPS6 to access it. (Just to complicate matters for you lol).

Edit: That right? another Blops? That would be perfect, really enjoying MII year 2:messenger_winking: (MWIII).

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Think I remember seeing Xbox COD only make up like 20% of overall sales so putting it on GP isn't making them lose much revenue after all those GP people continue to buy battlepasses and skins

Don't forget that when they did the early-access Pass for Forza Horizon 5, they got over a million people playing with that before the game even reached its street date.

Won't be surprised if this introduces a new audience to the franchise that wouldn't otherwise have bought the game. I've seen more than one person post on GAF that this is the first time they're gonna play the game cause its on GP.

NickFire

I have seen COD is dead for at least 10 years now and right before its going to do monster numbers again this year

Season 4 No GIF by The Office
It’s had a down year or two in relation to itself I think (maybe Vanguard?). But it is basically its own sports game now, and had been for a long time. I would bet there’s a huge overlap between guys who plays a couple sports games and COD every year too.

Enthusiast sites tend to downplay both types of games in my opinion. Except during sales threads when it charts every month.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm sure Treyarch were thrilled that their game was being sacrificed at the altar of growth for GP!

My prediction is that it will damage CoD sales more than it benefits GP revenue and subscriber count.

Its a mismatch: Pay monthly for library access and you can play* this same single MASSIVE game until your sub runs out!
*and keeping buying mtx for.

If you like GP you probably like variety, so its not that big of a draw. And if you were never into GP to begin with then getting it along with CoD isn't that exciting a value add.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
I’m shocked the older call of duty games haven’t been added to game pass yet and get enhanced

Mr.ODST

I am really torn do I play it on Gamepass or still buy it on Playstation only because I like shutting off crossplay on PS but they may disable that this year now that MS owns it
Just on this, Playstation COD is plagued with "UI Cheaters" currently, might be xbox aswell but they found a way to cheat outside of chronus now :(

Still deciding if to pick up for PS5 or use Gamepass and buy the vault edition (I have the 3 years of gamepass thing)

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 found the video for you -

This is how mad people have got on console to try and be better than other people

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

Not sure what that has to do with the claim your getting the game for free.
there is over 400 games ( 468 on PC and 505 on Xbox ) , lets say that he is playing on PC, if we divide 120 ( annual subscription ) by 468 games we get U$ 0,25 per game, i would say that's pretty cheap, almost "free" but if u like we can call it a symbolical value and if he is playing on PC there is always a option to play for free.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Is it also going on Gamepass PC or just Console?
Both

Just on this, Playstation COD is plagued with "UI Cheaters" currently, might be xbox aswell but they found a way to cheat outside of chronus now :(

Still deciding if to pick up for PS5 or use Gamepass and buy the vault edition (I have the 3 years of gamepass thing)

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 found the video for you -

This is how mad people have got on console to try and be better than other people

I haven’t been able to watch this yet but I know too on console only lobbies people have been spoofing their PC to make COD servers think you are on a console and can use cheats even if you have been previously banned the spoofer can make the servers think you are someone else

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm convinced Sony has an operative working at Xbox

there is over 400 games ( 468 on PC and 505 on Xbox ) , lets say that he is playing on PC, if we divide 120 ( annual subscription ) by 468 games we get U$ 0,25 per game, i would say that's pretty cheap, almost "free" but if u like we can call it a symbolical value and if he is playing on PC there is always a option to play for free.

if you have to pay then it’s not free, no matter it’s a one month or a year subscription, and when the sub runs out you lose access to those games. So nope, it’s not free at all

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What does it mean?

It means your studio will be shut the fuck down if it doesn't perform in line with whatever arbitrary expectations they've put in place for this game.

Exactly this! GP has to hit 40 million subs by the end of this year now.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm sure Treyarch were thrilled that their game was being sacrificed at the altar of growth for GP!

Perhaps you should just read the article.

Miller: I think it was a conversation, just internally with meeting with the Activision folks on those pieces, and talking about the opportunity for us. It was more like, ‘What does that mean?’

I think the exciting thing for us is what Matt said: just more people will be able to try the game.

COD makes more money on mts anyway. AFAIK, a couple of years ago COD gaming sales only accounted for a third of the revenues.

Edit: I mean, Treyarch was already bound by internal contracts with AB, and it's likely that the conditions remain similar today so GP or not may not significantly alter their revenue situation anyway, idk. GP might even add to their bonuses.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
COD makes more money on mts anyway. AFAIK, a couple of years ago COD gaming sales only accounted for a third of the revenues.

Yes, which is why feeding it to an audience that on its face is less inclined to dedicate itself to CoD MP when there's a steady flow of other titles to play is just a rotten idea.

As I've been saying all along. Gamers are not a monolith, there isn't a one-size-fits-all offer to be made.

Edit: I mean, Treyarch was already bound by internal contracts with AB, and it's likely that the conditions remain similar today so GP or not may not significantly alter their revenue situation anyway, idk. GP might even add to their bonuses.

As Phil has already said in regards to the recent closures, "He has a business to run". Subsidiary studios will all have their own KPI's and need to justify annual budgets and funding.
Strategic decisions matter.

GP performance has to be judged based on the sum and total of titles it includes, not solely CoD.

So if CoD profitability dips but GP profitability rises, it cannot be assumed that the underperformance of the former is the fault of the latter.

Cyberpunkd

It means upper management doesnt trust you guys with something like announcing GP for COD. If they told the studio earlier, no doubt someone with loose lips would had spilled the beans about it months ago.
TBH this is an incredibly important business decision. I doubt no matter what studio would have gotten much warning. This can potentially impact share price.

Mr.Phoenix

Not sure what that has to do with the claim your getting the game for free.
What about me... I am gonna pay $20ish for two months of gamepass, play everything they release on gamepass before December 2024, including COD which will be my first COD game played in over a decade... and then I;ll be gone till around the same time next year.

My Xbox annual budget is $20.

Thank You Xbox.

Dorago

One of you smart fellers on here analyzed the situation perfectly, stating that if they put the next COD on Gamepass day one it would kill the entire company with a year end revenue shortfall. Further they stated MS management would need to be short sighted, vulnerable to their own propaganda, and not understand basic business principles to do this.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
Game Pass subscribers on Xbox and PC will be able to access Black Ops 6 at launch (October 25) if they are actively subscribed to select Game Pass plans (Game Pass Ultimate, Game Pass PC, Game Pass Console).

This is a moment in history that we can no longer allow developers to be treated like another person on the conveyor belt.

Top Bottom