• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - Season 2 - We get the Season we deserve - Sundays on HBO

Ashes

Banned
I fell asleep during this episode.

Having said that, I have now watched four episodes, so I will finish the rest of the season.

Paul wakes up and doesn't remember shit? Feels like rape to me, rather than a coming out episode.

Male rape in the army is er something.

Frank is still a dud. Jordan isn't.

Ani is alright. I can't figure her out. A woman stuck in a man's world it seems like.

& Ray is the thing that links all these pieces together. He is growing on me.

Most of these characters haven't outgrown the actors playing them. Except Jordan. How do you become a smart gangster's wife? I dunno. But Jordan is my favourite character.

watch "Humans." Surprisingly Good.

I post as I watch. I do it with most shows.

I hope Birdman appears soon.

I can only speak for myself, but I would think this is a terrible way to watch a show. You're not that engaged and are thinking of ways to compose your posts instead of being engaged in a show.

Anyway, for those "surprised" by Kitsch's sexual preferences, did you not see the hints in episodes 1 and 2, and the glaring admission in episode 3?

ivysaur12

Banned
I can only speak for myself, but I would think this is a terrible way to watch a show. You're not that engaged and are thinking of ways to compose your posts instead of being engaged in a show.

Anyway, for those "surprised" by Kitsch's sexual preferences, did you not see the hints in episodes 1 and 2, and the glaring admission in episode 3?

I think it works for him, it works for him, so who cares?

There were hints?

Pizzolatto is just working on another level. Aspiring television writers should take note of the grace and subtlety with which he's written this plot.

I think it works for him, it works for him, so who cares?

True. Like I said, I think it would take me out of the show. With, at least, Mad Men and Breaking Bad, there were commercial breaks to post my thoughts mid show. Continuously, it would seem like a distraction.

But I care about filmmaking, so I dunno.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
4 episodes in and I'm still not captivated. *sigh*

I mean, I like the show. I think it's acceptable in it's overall quality. But do I consider this high quality tier TV? nah

I'm already thinking about what they can do with season 3 and who I would like them to cast in it...

I write my reactions as they happen. I'm fully engaged in the show. I just like discussing it as I watch it. I've watched this way for a few years for a few shows.

No one should be surprised by Paul's sexuality, but he's doing wrong by his ex with this bullshit.

Frank is his own worst enemy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The freeze frame fade to black to crappy credits song was perhaps the funniest moment of the night for me and sort of encapsulates why this whole season feels so bad at times.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm a bit surprised people are complaining about the freeze frame. Didn't we get the exact same thing last season?

Antigone's ex is a real piece of work.

"You do realize they're giving Mercer high fives out there."

They just suspended Antigone. Turn in your gun and your badge, kid. It's Chinatown.

Wow, and now this bizarre romance drama with her partner out of nowhere. All these twists. Her life is shiiiiiiiit.

Fathom

Banned
I'm a bit surprised people are complaining about the freeze frame. Didn't we get the exact same thing last season?

Yes and this feels like they're superficially copying it without understanding why it worked the first time.

It worked because it was something totally weird and different. This season hasn't really done a single creative thing, while S1 was constantly knocking it out of the park in that department. S2 has been shot and directed servicably, nothing more. The highlights are the writing and Farrell. It still hasn't found its heart.

Wow, they got suspects and evidence, they got a murder case nearly wrapped up!

People say that they aren't investigating... But they're actually making headway.

Lera Lynn is back as the saddest girl in the world! Yes! These scenes are the best.

And the more mobstery Frank gets, the more racist, Jesus.

I think the bar scenes ARE the Rust/Marty car conversations scenes of season 2.

I like them.

This small scene with Ray and his kid is nice.

Frank is gonna fuck this up.

Well... That escalated quickly.

Okay... That escalated exponentially.

Damn. Bye Dixon.

Jesus Christ, a lot of people are dying in this scene.

It's fucked up.

This mothafucka is dual wielding.

They actually let him kill the fucking hostage, Jesus Christ.

amnesiac

I mean it's entertaining but I really do not care for the story at all. Like what is even going on anymore? It's focusing way too much on the personal lives of the detectives instead of making the audience care about the case at hand IMO.

This gunfight would have been cooler if they kept the camera tight on Antigone's face and showed her terror and adrenaline in all the chaos, doused in blood, etc.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I'm not sure why nottheguyyoukill is posting comments scene by scene. It's not like the show is live at the moment.

I think they made a mistake not getting Justin Lin to direct the fire fight at the end of this episode. Man can direct action and carnage like nobody's business.

In fact, Lin should have directed this whole season, or the other directors should have consulted him and stayed in tune and consistency with his style. He's a great choice, and I want more of that DNA present.

I'm not sure why nottheguyyoukill is posting comments scene by scene. It's not like the show is live at the moment.

XA1YWMK.gif

Jenov

I figured he just views every dead man as one less temptation. *solitary tear falls down cheek*

lol!

Seriously, Kitsch's character is so one dimensional and boring. It's really too bad he wasn't killed off in the shoot out, nothing from the story would have been lost (in fact, it might have even improved).

Ashes

Banned
He's not being raped, he has to get drunk enough to lower his inhibitions to get past his self-imposed bs.

I thought that first. But how do you consent when you pass out drunk?

then recover with no hangover and memory loss.

It's either poorly written. Or he was drugged and raped.

The Real MVP of this season is Rachel McAdams in those skinny jeans, whooo boy.

Seeing her makes me want to see Katherine Moennig in one of these True Detective Seasons.

Jenov

I thought that first. But how do you consent when you pass out drunk?

then recover with no hangover and memory loss.

It's either poorly written. Or he was drugged and raped.

He's only gay when he's black out drunk and then regrets it immensely while sober while trying to gay-away the experience with women. Insert overly angsty brooding in between just because.

McAdams' acting is awesome, no idea where they're leading her character plot wise though. Vaugn I just can't take seriously, maybe it's because I keep thinking about Wedding Crashers from the day before. And I'm pleasantly surprised at Colin Farrel, he's the most interesting character thus far and good acting to boot.

lol @ whoever said that we can't follow the plot because no one remembers their weird names. It's truuuuuuuuuuuuue! God dammit.

He's only gay when he's black out drunk and then regrets it immensely while sober while trying to gay-away the experience with women. Insert overly angsty brooding in between just because.

McAdams' acting is awesome, no idea where they're leading her character plot wise though. Vaugn I just can't take seriously, maybe it's because I keep thinking about Wedding Crashers from the day before. And I'm pleasantly surprised at Colin Farrel, he's the most interesting character thus far and good acting to boot.

lol @ whoever said that we can't follow the plot because no one remembers their weird names. It's truuuuuuuuuuuuue! God dammit.

Going to get run out of the department because of the mayor thing using the fallout from this shootout and the fact that the dead cop who she tried to get a gun from killed a civilian, shit was so telegraphed.

copiiot2.jpg

cop2d1pvk.jpg

cop3lyrbr.jpg

Jigorath

Banned
Oh man, this season isn't getting any better. I was kind of worried they'd kill of Farrell after he did the "saying goodbye to his son" scene but I'm happy they didn't. This season would take a nosedive without him considering how awful Kitsch and Vaughn are.

So frumpy detective guy was running like a side case of his own, investigating Kitsch and then he just gets shot in the head? What was the point of all the buildup with him being suspicious if he's dead!

Top Bottom