• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump pardons former AZ Sheriff Arpaio [convicted of violating civil rights laws]

rjinaz

I knew it was coming, I didn't know it would be this soon. Trump gives no fucks. Just involved in a racism controversy but then goes right into pardoning a criminal racist. He truly believes he is the untouchable God Emperor his Trumpers tell him he is.

Every minute he spent on this and the trans ban was a minute he didn't spend on making sure people were safe from a fucking hurricane.

Toth

This one is going to have significant blow back regardless of when he announced it. Absolutely disgusting.

D i Z

He pretty much said that he would. And we all know the reasons why. Waiting for the Hurricane to hit was a bitch move though.

I don't understand the point of a pardon law and procedures if a president can just pardon whoever they want. Maybe I'm just really misinformed on the pardon process, but I didn't even think Arpaio was even eligible for pardon.

rjinaz

'I don't have time to discuss this, there is a hurricane emergency if you haven't heard. You FAKE NEWS people are ruthless in your witch hunt.'

Trump is just dying to be able to call out the media for bringing this up during a crisis despite the fact that HE brought it up during the crisis.

kirblar

I'd like to think so, but part of me wonders if he's starting to realize he actually can do whatever he wants. We've reached saturation and nothing has happened, why would he slow down?
Yup. There are going to be plenty more pardons where this came from.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Maybe he was thinking no one was paying attention as a CAT 4 weather system is gunna touch down in Texas soon.

Shoeless

It's disappointing and yet, at the same time, impressive that racism is the one political policy that Trump is actually willing to take a stand on and show some genuine human passion for. He's clearly not in this for the money, it's something he actually believes in.

It's terrifying that a significant chunk of the American population shares that vision, and of all the things, THIS is what they are willing to fight for.

Soroc

Has a president pardons anybody before this early into their term let alone not waiting until they are on the way out the door?

I don't understand the point of a pardon law and procedures if a president can just pardon whoever they want. Maybe I'm just really misinformed on the pardon process, but I didn't even think Arpaio was even eligible for pardon.

Because again, when all these laws were being written about the power of the President, they banked on the President not being an inhuman monster who gets all his news from a propaganda box.

Fuck this country.

Wag

What's to stop Trump from secret making deals with lawmakers/enforcement to commit illegal actions in his favor? They'll know thei'll be pardoned.

LifEndz

Unfucking real. A presidential pardon of a bigot that abused his office to discriminate and abuse those in his custody. And why? All because he supported Trump. Fucking disgusting.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
tenor.gif

Top Bottom