• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Poised to Lift Ban on C.I.A. ‘Black Site’ Prisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/us/politics/cia-detainee-prisons.html?smid=tw-share

WASHINGTON — The Trump administration is preparing a sweeping executive order that would clear the way for the Central Intelligence Agency to reopen overseas ”black site" prisons, like those where it detained and tortured terrorism suspects before former President Obama shut them down.

President Trump's three-page draft order, titled ”Detention and Interrogation of Enemy Combatants," and obtained by The New York Times would also undo many of the other restrictions on handling detainees that Mr. Obama put in place in response to policies of the Bush administration.

The draft order does not direct any immediate reopening of C.I.A. prisons or revival of torture tactics, which are now barred by statute. But it sets up high-level policy reviews to make further recommendations in both areas to Mr. Trump, who vowed during the campaign to bring back waterboarding and a ”hell of a lot worse" – not only because ”torture works," but because even ”if it doesn't work, they deserve it anyway."

A White House spokesman did not immediately respond to an email inquiring about the draft order, including when Mr. Trump may intend to sign it. But the order was accompanied by a one-page statement that criticized the Obama administration for having ”refrained from exercising certain authorities" about detainees it said were critical to defending the country from ”radical Islamism."

In their place, Mr. Trump's draft directive order would resurrect a 2007 executive order issued by President George W. Bush. It responded to a 2006 Supreme Court about the Geneva Conventions that had put C.I.A. interrogators at risk of prosecution for war crimes, leading to a temporary halt of the agency's ”enhanced" interrogations program.

http://bigstory.ap.org/514492010670...n=SocialFlow&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP

A draft executive order shows President Donald Trump asking for a review of America's methods for interrogation terror suspects and whether the U.S. should reopen CIA-run "black site" prisons outside the United States.

RPGCrazied

Yep. This man needs to go. People need to form ways just how to remove this assclown from office, even if congress sits by and does nothing.

rjinaz

It was obvious he was an advocate for torture. He really is sticking with everything he brought up.

So what's left? Muslim registration and mass deportation? Hillary in prison I suppose.

mackattk

Torture works if you just want to get people to say what you want them to say. I guess for Trump that would be good enough.

This man is going to go down as one of the worst, most destructive presidents in US history.

Matticers

Yep. This man needs to go. People need to form ways just how to remove this assclown from office, even if congress sits by and does nothing.

It would hardly be different under Pence. The republicans control things and this is what they want so it doesn't really matter who is in charge for the most part.

People better rally and get out and vote in 2018 and 2020.

I was never under any impression they ever stopped, they just got better at covering up the murders/torture of the people they kidnap.

Krakn3Dfx

No secret that Trump is a big fan of torture. I imagine he's probably giddy with the idea of flying out to watch it happen whenever possible. Dude is a sociopath of the highest order, we've basically let American Psycho into the White House.

Dierce

Public firing squads and hangings.

Honestly not beyond the pale in my mind.

Also beheading. Ideologically republicans and isis are made of the same cloth, Both wanting religious and racial purity ruled by a conservative doctrine.

Machina

Banned
It was obvious he was an advocate for torture. He really is sticking with everything he brought up.

So what's left? Muslim registration and mass deportation? Hillary in prison I suppose.

If this one happens, it'll be a true character test for the Republicans. Going along with it would be electoral suicide.

You guys are getting fascism, maybe even a dictatorship eventually? This won't end well...

I mean we are just 4 days in. 1456 to go!

It's remarkable, I never believed to see an empire fall during my lifetime.

marrec

Banned
Odds on Trump ironically ending up in one of his reauthorized CIA Black Sites after proof of Russian puppetry comes out?

2:1

Exile20

How do you fight back against a firehose of bullshit every day!?

As I said before, tommorrow he is going to do some more shit and we will forget todays shit.

That is his plan to bombard the public with as much shit as possible everyday so by the time you get angry enough at one thing, you are appalled at the next.

Paz

America, at some point the comparison to that "are we the baddies" sketch is going to get too fucking real, plz stop becoming the villains our world doesn't need.

SummitAve

Banned
Oh you mean the type of shit that leads to people blowing themselves up for revenge in the first place. That makes sense.

Exile20

Reauthorizing black sites is like the last step before bringing back high paying factory jobs to the US. Trump voters must be getting excited

waterboarding_for_dummies.jpg

Study up, positions are going to open soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom