• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Poised to Lift Ban on C.I.A. ‘Black Site’ Prisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

LifEndz

Just can't help but think of all the people that dismissed the idea of him being able to do anything really harmful to the country as President. Scary times. God help us all.

kmfdmpig

Read again: "We are not bringing back torture in the United States of America."

The black sites aren't on U.S. soil, so McCain's statement is vapid depending on your interpretation. Not only that, but Trump and the frickin' head of the CIA will do whatever it pleases them.
"

McCain has been on the correct side of this issue for a long time. I think that you're parsing words too closely in your interpretation. Whether that will stop Trump and the new head of the CIA is another thing, as you mentioned.

I am pretty sure they just found other means to keep on doing what they do.

I would supportive if they just set up one. And Trump was the only inmate. Actually, Trump should be displayed in public, so stocks would be most appropriate. Trump's humilitiation probably needs to be public.

Hagi

Remember during the elections when trump promised to do this? Remember when he also said would do all the other despicable things he is doing right now? Remember when dumb fuckheads in the center kept trying to pat our heads and tell us it was just talk and that he would never actually go through with any of it? That all our fears weren't legitimate and we needed to calm down?

tumblr_nlyvmbSOej1upxyceo1_400.gif

any day now!

Oh god make way for one billion tedious arguments with the false premise of a ticking time bomb that can only be disarmed by torturing some poor bugger. Really they just torture because it makes them feel powerful and it scares people.

AlexBasch

Just curious.

Can he do everything he wants with an executive order?

In Designated Survivor, Kirkman is almost like deciding where to throw a nuke when he asks some guys how those work and it's like a critical decision. This guy is just signing them like crazy.

benjipwns

Banned
Headline:
Trump Poised to Lift Ban on C.I.A. ‘Black Site’ Prisons

Lede:
The Trump administration is preparing a sweeping executive order that would clear the way for the Central Intelligence Agency to reopen overseas “black site” prisons

Story:
The draft order does not direct any immediate reopening of C.I.A. prisons or revival of torture tactics, which are now barred by statute. But it sets up high-level policy reviews to make further recommendations
While Mr. Trump’s order says no detainee should be tortured or otherwise subjected to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment “as prescribed by U.S. law,”
Against that backdrop, Mr. Trump’s draft order would direct Defense Secretary James N. Mattis, along with the attorney general and the director of national intelligence, to “review the military commissions system and recommend to the president how best to employ the system going forward to provide for the swift and just trial and punishment of unlawful enemy combatants detained in the armed conflict with violent Islamist extremists.”

Second Source:
asking for a review of America's methods for interrogation terror suspects and whether the U.S. should reopen CIA-run "black site" prisons outside the United States.

Reporting!

EGM1966

"not only because “torture works,” but because even “if it doesn’t work, they deserve it anyway

Wait what? I'm not convinced on the former and don't condone torture but I can at least see some rational for information extraction there. But just assume everyone's guilty and "deserves it" and don't worry about it?

Wow.

I know this doesn't mean starting up the machinery tomorrow but damn pretty upsetting to see foundations already being laid this quickly.

Trump with the ability to detain someone indefinitely, without a lawyer or the ability to even tell anyone where they are.

Thanks NDAA.

Sibylus

Banned
or the mass surveillance apparatus
or the drone strike programs
or the prison industrial complex
or the militarized police force

Preach. Inspirational figure turned out to be milquetoast, ineffectual, and merely kept the seat warm for Fascism in America.

Would he be our Chamberlain?

Lime

CNN Politics @CNNPolitics

BREAKING: President Trump says intelligence officials have told him torture "absolutely" works

President Donald Trump said he wants to "fight fire with fire" when it comes to stopping terrorism, suggesting that he could be open to bringing back torture because he "absolutely" believes it works.

By reinstating enhanced interrogation, Trump would violate a US law ratified by the Senate in 2015 and go against the view of Defense Secretary James Mattis. CIA Director Mike Pompeo told senators earlier this month that he wouldn't sanction the use of torture, though he later said he would consider bringing back waterboarding and other enhanced interrogation measures under certain circumstances.

In an interview with ABC News, Trump said "people at the highest level of intelligence" have told him that torture does work, something military experts have refuted. He went on to say, however, that he will listen to what his Cabinet secretaries have to say about the issue.

"When ISIS is doing things that no one has ever heard of, since medieval times, would I feel strongly about waterboarding?" Trump said. "As far as I'm concerned, we have to fight fire with fire."

Trump's argument was that ISIS is beheading people and posting the videos online, but that the United States is "not allowed to do anything."

"We're not playing on an even field," Trump said. "I want to do everything within the bounds of what you're allowed to do legally. But do I feel it works? Absolutely, I feel it works."

Democrats and Republicans alike have shot down the idea of bringing back torture methods that were used by the Bush administration after the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.

Pompeo said earlier this month that he would "absolutely not" restart the CIA's use of enhanced interrogation tactics that fall outside of Army Field Manuals.

"Moreover, I can't imagine I would be asked that by the President-elect," Pompeo said during his confirmation hearing.

But in a series of written responses to questions from members of the Senate intelligence committee, Pompeo later said that while current permitted interrogation techniques are limited to those contained in the Army Field Manual, he was open to making changes to that policy.

The Senate voted overwhelming to ban torture across the US government in 2015, codifying a ban President Barack Obama issued by executive order shortly after he was sworn in in 2009. Obama then signed the updated defense authorization bill into law.
Sen. John Thune, a South Dakota Republican, said the use of torture is "settled law" and that "Congress has spoken."

The Senate intelligence committee produced a nearly 7,000-page classified report on torture, detention and interrogation after the George W. Bush administration brought back the practice. The authors of the report found the practice was ineffective and did not produce actionable intelligence.

"Reconstituting this appalling program would compromise our values, our morals and our standing as a world leader -- this cannot happen," Sen. Dianne Feinstein, a California Democrat, said in a statement on Wednesday. "We can't base national security policies on what works on television -- policies must be grounded in reality."

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/01/25/politics/donald-trump-waterboarding-torture/index.html

Balphon

Well, this is a guy that campaigned on using torture and at one point offhandedly suggested that the families of terrorists should be targeted for assassination.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Mattis and Pompeo had no idea about this.

Leaked Draft of Executive Order Risks a Divide Over National Security

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/25/...urity-trump-administration.html?smid=tw-share

But Mr. Trump's most extreme campaign proposal for terrorism suspects — bringing back torture, which the draft order does not call for but hovers over in its direction to review reinstating a C.I.A. interrogation program — has been disavowed by senior members of his team, most notably Defense Secretary James N. Mattis. Mr. Mattis has long opposed some of the aggressive interrogation methods used during President George W. Bush's administration, and in his recent confirmation hearing, he said that the military should use only interrogation methods contained in the Army Field Manuals.

At a Democratic caucus retreat on Wednesday, Senator Mark Warner of Virginia, the top Democrat on the Intelligence Committee, told colleagues that both Mr. Mattis and Mike Pompeo, the newly installed C.I.A. director, had told him they had no knowledge of the draft order before it became public, according to another senator present at the retreat.

Game-Biz

Literally evil. Fucking hell.

I've heard many republicans over the years say this about Obama. And I always knew of course it was hyperbole, but I always wondered if I would act as crazy as them if or when a GOP elected president took office. But, when you have the president quoted as saying...

Mr. Trump, who vowed during the campaign to bring back waterboarding and a “hell of a lot worse” – not only because “torture works,” but because even “if it doesn’t work, they deserve it anyway.”
....I mean, jeez...he sounds like a cliche villain from a cheesy superhero film.

"You are here in a country where no one knows about you, in a country where there is no law. If you die, we will bury you, and no one will know." CIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom