• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

legacyzero

Banned
Never thought I’d say this, but now we wait on A-A-Ron to lead the way.
giphy.gif

Would love to see Rodgers takes a knee. I'm already #PackerProud, but damn, would that be amazing

Surfinn

Sorry if it's already been mentioned but I just found out the ENTIRE Steelers team is staying in the the locker room for the anthem. That is fucking awesome

Via NYT notifications

NYR

Tom Brady's such an asshole. Imagine the message shot across the country if he had kneeled.
People with influence are under no obligation to suicide their careers for political messages, especially to appease some as ignorant to call him an “asshole” for standing AND sending a message by locking arms. Your expectations are unrealistic. He sent a message. Multiple actually. He isn’t the problem. He isn’t the sole solution either. Nothing wrong with that.

TI82

Banned
Yeah, yeah, I know. Increasinglynervousman.jpg

But I think you may be underestimating just how many people worship football, even more than they worship Trump. Especially in Texas.

Because of trump and Congress the GOP has a record low approval rating (CNN poll) right now, so maybe you're right

jstripes

Banned
So many of his base are football fans. I think it was fine with them when Trump was just attacking kneeling players, but now he's saying football is boring, the league is anti-US, etc. Going against the game itself has got to hurt him.

He's not going against the game, he's going against the NFL. It's been shown again that when his base is forced to choose between Trump and 'X', they'll pick Trump every time. So, they'll probably flame the NFL on social media for a few days, and then get distracted by his next hateful outburst.

People with influence are under no obligation to suicide their careers for political messages, especially to appease some as ignorant to call him an “asshole” for standing AND sending a message by locking arms. Your expectations are unrealistic. He sent a message. Multiple actually. He isn’t the problem. He isn’t the sole solution either. Nothing wrong with that.

Tom Brady's a piece of shit who supports Trump

As others have mentioned he supports Trump and whatever at "suciding his career", like it would actually affect him at all. Dude could retire right this minute and would still have more money and prestige than he'd know what to do with for the rest of his life.

Counterpoint: fuck that noise.

Kelsdesu

Whats funny is all Trump had to do was just shut the fuck up. The owners were already colluding together to keep Kaep out and that motherfucker had to say sonething.

Boke1879

Oh yeah, I see that now. Isn't this still a lot better than nothing? Isn't it still making a statement, even if not the best one? Seems to be not participating is more of a fuck you to Trump without actually saying it

It's going to backfire. I see a lot of people on social media calling the Steelers cowards for not coming out lol

mike6467

I haven't seen this posted yet:

Trump administration calls for NFL owners to rule on anthem

Washington (CNN)Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin said Sunday that NFL owners should decide on a rule on how to handle players who kneel in protest during the national anthem.

Mnuchin said it's "not about Republicans and Democrats" but "about respect for our military" and "respect for our first responders."

"Players have the right for free speech off the field. ... " Mnuchin told CNN's Jake Tapper. "This is about respect for lots of people, and I don't understand why there's rules that when the Dallas Cowboys wanted to put stickers on their helmets out of respect for people there, they couldn't do it, but now the NFL is saying people should be able to decide what they want to do and disrespect the United States flag."

As others have mentioned he supports Trump and whatever at "suciding his career", like it would actually affect him at all. Dude could retire right this minute and would still have more money and prestige than he'd know what to do with for the rest of his life.

Nevermind he voiced his support already

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I'm really disappointed at how few players took the knee during the anthem at the Vikings-Buccaneers game. Looked like only two players on TB from the TV shots.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
NY Giants players Landon Collins, Damon Harrison and Olivier Vernon knelt.

The New York Times @nytimes

Tom Brady, who is friends with Trump, joined teammates in locking arms during the anthem before the Patriots' game

Euphor!a

Banned
Hmm

Yeah that's true

Though I was thinking if not showing up a protest in itself. But maybe it's just s clever way if being around allowing players to actually kneel or sit

I mean, that's what people thought it was at first, and if that was the case then it would be different. But according to the coach it is very much a "not interested in politics" message rather than a message of protest.

diaspora

man, who gives a fuck about what the treasury secretary has to say about this issue?

also, the NFL airing an ad about unity is hilarious all things considered.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
CNN‏ @CNN

Players from the Broncos, Bills, and Browns took a knee during the national anthem at the 1 p.m. ET games

Hesh

This is such a hilarious backfire to witness. I hope Trump doubles-down and still calls for them to be "fired" considering about a quarter or so of the league are now doing this just because of his big mouth.

GatorBait

I didn't realize Steve Mnuchin owned a team. Why does he give a fuck about what the owners allow their employees to do? Will he be appeased if the NFL passes a rule explicitly allowing players to kneel?

That last question was obviously rhetorical.

Zolo

http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/45a/060.html
"First, I must confess that over the last few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season."

ViciousDS

Banned
When you're at someone's birthday party and everyone says you should be fired for kneeling to a national anthem.

Why did I grow up in such a stupid part of this country

Ogodei

I didn't realize Steve Mnuchin owned a team. Why does he give a fuck about what the owners allow their employees to do? Will he be appeased if the NFL passes a rule explicitly allowing players to kneel?

That last question was obviously rhetorical.

Because employees asserting their rights on the job is Bolshevism and next thing you know they'll be asking for sick days and 40 hour work weeks.

Cartman86

Banned
The NFL can limit players speech no? It's a job. If they find it to be a distraction they can fire you. It's why I find these angles misguided. This is about what's right on a human level.

Top Bottom