• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to give speech on the economy in Milwaukee, WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulfric

Hey Wisconsin GAF, amidst all the hullabaloo of the week (with more to come), Trump is preparing to leave the White House to give a speech in Milwaukee. The location hasn't been announced yet, but he was in West Allis last December.

I'll keep the thread updated for when the location is announced. In the meantime, I'll be making a few protest signs. If you're in the area, I encourage you to come out and give Trump a good 'ol cheesehead welcome.

EDIT (1/30): Trump is confirmed to speak at Harley-Davidson headquarters in Menominee Falls on Pilgrim Road. Parking info and protest location is TBD. Check here for protest updates: https://www.facebook.com/events/570945113095728/

EDIT (1/31): Harley-Davidson spokesperson denies Trump will be visiting their museum or headquarters. Expect new info tomorrow as the situation changes.(http://www.bizjournals.com/milwauke...vidson-says-it-s-not-hosting-trump-visit.html)

EDIT #2 (1/31): Fox 6 News reports Trump will NOT be visiting Milwaukee. Hooray! Thanks to everyone who called Harley-Davidson and made plans to protest at the site.

Via Fox6 (AP Wire): http://fox6now.com/2017/01/30/president-trump-traveling-to-wisconsin-for-speech-on-economy/

MADISON — President Donald Trump is planning to deliver a speech on the economy in Milwaukee on Thursday.

The White House confirmed the planned visit on Monday, which comes two weeks into Trump's presidency. His last trip to Wisconsin was in December as part of his victory tour.

Trump is making the stop amid continued backlash from the executive order he released Friday temporarily banning refugees and travelers from seven Muslim-majority countries. Trump is slated to announce his pick for a vacant U.S. Supreme Court seat on Tuesday. No other details about his planned Thursday trip to Wisconsin have been released.

Via CBS58: http://www.cbs58.com/story/34375070/president-trump-to-visit-milwaukee-on-thursday

According to CNN, President Trump is expected to make a visit to Milwaukee on Thursday, February 2. The purpose of the visit will be to deliver an economic address highlighting manufacturing.

An exact location for the event has not been made public.

President Donald Trump has settled on his first Supreme Court nominee and is poised to reveal his selection early this week, two officials say, in an announcement that many inside the White House hope could change the subject from a weekend of thundering criticism over the executive order on immigration.

While Trump said last week he would make his choice known on Thursday, aides say they expect it to come sooner.

Toxi

Banned
"We're gonna get the jobs back. Not sure how, but we'll get the jobs back because I'm very smart and very honest and I've got a really good plan. Just look at how many people love me. I'm the best. Also Mexico is the devil and refugees will murder your children."

PopeReal

A warning to moderate middle men, you might have some traffic blocked soon. So you can be upset again. Get your lectures ready.

Read between the lines. He wants a pep rally to make his insecure ass feel good after these past 2 weeks. Expect red meat bullshit as if he's still running for office. He just can't fathom not being liked and won't accept he's wrong and doesn't know what he's doing.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
It won't happen but I hope there's people protesting during his speech too.

"Where's our jobs" has a nice ring to it. I want this to be an absolute disaster. The yugest.

Give em hell Milwaukee.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is this where he takes credit for the low unemployment rate?

ab-so-lutely

and the DOW ended that one day over 20,000 or did you not hear? let me get a hell yea from the crowd.

it's what happens when you regulate those regulations.

Looks like a local group is already setting something up, along with Marquette University and UW-Milwaukee carpools: https://www.facebook.com/events/570945113095728/

There seems to be some confusion; the page says he's visiting Harley Davidson HQ, which is about 30 minutes outside of the city. The parking may not be accessible that day.

I've never been to Milwaukee, but I'm in driving distance and I'm interested

I will keep a lookout for this Thursday

But it's also Milwaukee and and I don't want to die, so I guess I better research survival tips

Jerm411

I'm shocked he's making a public appearance now and in Milwaukee of all places....this could get ugly.....

Dude. How fucking... The country is not protesting in the tens of millions right now over the fucking economy.

Deal with that FIRST

RDreamer

I can see why Trump thinks America is a wasteland with all the shit hole towns he visits for these rallies.

He doesn't and isn't actually going to visit Milwaukee. Him and the rest of the Republicans just visit the richer white suburbs. Looks like he'll be in Menomonee Falls. Usually they head out to Waukesha. That's where everyone that hates the city but needs to be near it lives.

But it's also Milwaukee and and I don't want to die, so I guess I better research survival tips

Oh Christ, you're not going to die in Milwaukee...

First off, he's never going to have a freaking rally actually in Milwaukee. He might die in Milwaukee. He'll plant his ass somewhere outside MKE and talk to a bunch of richer white suburbanites and hicks that made the drive.

Foffy

Banned
Obama: "The threat of the middle class is automation."

Trump: "WRONG! It's those evil immigrants taking what belongs to Americans"

What a shift in perception. You know the conman will never budge and talk about reality, because the political system itself is avoiding it in full, too.

Wulfric

lol.

Sorry MilwaukeeGAF

It's okay, we're used to it. :(

At least we have the art museum. I love me some Georgia O'Keeffe every now and then.

You'll be fine. He's not coming to the city proper, and Milwaukee is peaceful for the most part. It's not great, but it's segregated like mad. You're not gonna get mugged, at least not out in Menominee Falls.

Milwaukee is a very segregated city. Be careful; Wisconsinites aren't that bright. I know, I was raised in that shit-hole.

UberTag

I hope to see some amusing and creative Groundhog Day-themed protest signage.

tumblr_o1xkg8SpCC1ubcql5o1_1280.jpg

Oh Christ, you're not going to die in Milwaukee...

First off, he's never going to have a freaking rally actually in Milwaukee. He might die in Milwaukee. He'll plant his ass somewhere outside MKE and talk to a bunch of richer white suburbanites and hicks that made the drive.

You'll be fine. He's not coming to the city proper, and Milwaukee is peaceful for the most part. It's not great, but it's segregated like mad. You're not gonna get mugged, at least not out in Menominee Falls.

Milwaukee is a very segregated city. Be careful; Wisconsinites aren't that bright. I know, I was raised in that shit-hole.

Lol thank you guys

Only ever rode through once with parents and overlooked the stadium, the main perception of that place is I've seen it's basically Ravenholm. And one person I know that went to school there did get mugged...I'll be sure to not carry cash on me just in case

PopeReal

If Dems dont get their messaging right I'm afraid they'll lose WI and MI for a while.

I understand exactly what you mean, but how people can celebrate what is going on is beyond me. I would think that some humanity and logic would kick in at some point, without any messaging or guidance. Just be a human being.

I guess a good portion of my fellow white Americans just have to feel better than others.

zeeaykay

Lol thank you guys

Only ever rode through once with parents and overlooked the stadium, the main perception of that place is I've seen it's basically Ravenholm. And one person I know that went to school there did get mugged...I'll be sure to not carry cash on me just in case
I can't tell if you are serious. I agree Milwaukee has horrible segregation, but you're not going to get mugged unless you intentionally go out of your way to visit a rough part of town.

kevin1025

Banned
Read between the lines. He wants a pep rally to make his insecure ass feel good after these past 2 weeks. Expect red meat bullshit as if he's still running for office. He just can't fathom not being liked and won't accept he's wrong and doesn't know what he's doing.

He already signed up for the 2020 election, so this will be his first re-election campaign rally.

I can't tell if you all are serious. I agree Milwaukee has horrible segregation, but you're not going to get mugged unless you intentionally go out of your way to visit a rough part of town.

Yup, pretty much the same as any other major city. Just don't be dumb.

RDreamer

Lol thank you guys

Yeah, it can happen if you venture off into some areas. I've never been mugged, though, and I've gone through some of the pretty bad areas. I like to help some of the businesses over there. Still, if you stick near the lake and the college campuses you're beyond good. Staying east of 94/43 everything is all good. West of 43N and north of 94W is where it starts to get bad. Marquette University is good, but not so much a few blocks west or north of that. Again, I say that as a scrawny white boy having gone to those parts all the fucking time and nothing actually happens.

Wulfric

I hope the protests are bigger than his rally. That would really piss him off.

It's a private event for Harley employees; the audience will be carefully vetted. It's inevitable the protest will be bigger.

Lol thank you guys

Lmao, I think that's a bit much. Do you mean Miller Park? The West Allis side isn't bad, just really boring. The northside is where the violence happens. The east side where students live is "nicer", but that area bleeds into the shady areas pretty quickly. If you stick by the universities you'll be pretty safe.

Formless

I understand exactly what you mean, but how people can celebrate what is going on is beyond me. I would think that some humanity and logic would kick in at some point, without any messaging or guidance. Just be a human being.

I guess a good portion of my fellow white Americans just have to feel better than others.

These communities that went for Trump don't actually engage with the minorities that the administration is attacking. Economic, civil, social issues etc are complex and aren't seen in daily life.

They just want jobs, lower taxes, and to feel safe (part of that is not being uncomfortable/having to hear things that make you uncomfortable).

Very frustrating.

Devil's advocate: To an extreme degree you could say most Americans are like this to some extent -- e.g. we could all volunteer our time and money to provide help for the needy but we don't.

I think when people can see the problem (live in a diverse or affected area, have had travel experiences, have the education to know how to do research) they empathize, otherwise they don't.

Loxley

I live in Germantown, which is literally right next to Menomonee Falls.

The thought of Trump being so close....barf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom