• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Used Charity Funds to Settle Legal Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Cs2Com-WAAAkcub.jpg

I was about 90% sure this wasn't an actual statement, but you being cheeky by writing a parody statement.

Fucking HELL

blackw0lf

I think the Trump campaign is going to discover their statement has the exact opposite effect they wanted. Attacking a news reporter is a really quick way to get the media to go after you.

You could literally accuse Trump of anything, and he'd say, "Nuh uh, Hillary."

"Mr. Trump, you have tiny baby hands and skin the color of a Cheeto."
"Biased media at it again. It's the Crooked Clintons, Hillary with such small hands, really little, can barely hold a coffee cup. And that bright orange fake tan! Terrible, terrible. And I think, that hair, it's so fake, who does she think she's fooling?"
"I didn't mention hair-"
"Just terrible."

in the span of a single week the Trump campaign has released two bullshit statements attempting to defend indefensible actions by accusing Hillary of doing the same/worse. sad!

I hope this gets shredded. I'll laugh if the media is actually forced to defend the Clinton Foundation (which is a good organization, I'm not falling for the BS) in order to call out this nonsense, but I'm not expecting them to

in the span of a single week the Trump campaign has released two bullshit statements attempting to defend indefensible actions by accusing Hillary of doing the same/worse. sad!

I hope this gets shredded. I'll laugh if the media is actually forced to defend the Clinton Foundation (which is a good organization, I'm not falling for the BS) in order to call out this nonsense, but I'm not expecting them to

Usually what happens is the media takes the bait and starts going after Clinton.

RaidenZR

The spin continues:
http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/20/politics/washington-post-trump-foundation-report/

Kellyanne Conway said:
"I think this is a classic Donald Trump," she told CNN's Erin Burnett on "OutFront." "He wanted to raise the American flag as high as he possibly could over Mar-a-Lago. I think a lot of Americans at this point would applaud that. And of course the county said he couldn't do that, it had to be smaller, so they started assessing a $1,250 fine. So the way they wanted to settle it was for Trump to donate $100,000 to a veteran's group."

"Well, there are many lawsuits everyday against people ... I think you're making things up based on facts as they are not reported in this story, which also uses a lot of conditional phrasing, I'd like to point out," Conway said.

Conway also added that Trump frequently is "signing checks privately to help people" from his own bank account separate from the foundation,

"You can only imagine how many people have asked Mr. Trump for his time and his resources and his connections and his money privately, and he does that and he doesn't have cameras in there, it doesn't go through foundations," she said.

Time to press him on his tax returns again, then. C'mon Press! Live up to your name and press him!

Codeblue

"Well there are many lawsuits everyday against people".

That's the defense you're going with? Looks like the crown jewel of Trump surrogates cracked.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The spin continues:

Time to press him on his tax returns again, then. C'mon Press! Live up to your name and press him!
"I've been talking to the people who are responsible for the Trump Foundation to get some facts and some figures," she said. "It's very important for people to understand what happened in these cases. Donations went to veterans groups ... How did the Mar-a-Lago benefit from him giving $100,000 to veterans? The veterans benefited and I think that's great and I applaud him for doing that."

Burnett said: "Well, the business benefited by the lawsuit going away and being settled, right? That would be how the business benefited."

"Well, there are many lawsuits everyday against people ... I think you're making things up based on facts as they are not reported in this story, which also uses a lot of conditional phrasing, I'd like to point out," Conway said.
The spin is so fucking stupid, I can't even deal with it.

I hope we're going to see a continued interest in this stuff by the news media, beyond just WaPo.

Usually what happens is the media takes the bait and starts going after Clinton.

I don't know about that anymore. The birther stuff completely blew back in the Trump campaign's faces and there were articles on like every site explaining how it didn't start with Clinton.

RaidenZR

I don't know about that anymore. The birther stuff completely blew back in the Trump campaign's faces and there were articles on like every site explaining how it didn't start with Clinton.

The people who don't already know or believe that aren't reading those articles. There's almost no way to reach them if it's not on Fox News, Breitbart, or their Facebook feed. Even then, not sure it matters. You can see Trump get pushed a little even on Fox News sometimes, and all he does is ride the clock out. He knows he's not doing hour-long segments with them.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The people who don't already know or believe that aren't reading those articles. There's almost no way to reach them if it's not on Fox News, Breitbart, or their Facebook feed. Even then, not sure it matters. You can see Trump get pushed a little even on Fox News sometimes, and all he does is ride the clock out. He knows he's not doing hour-long segments with them.

I don't give a fuck about the deplorables, but I like to think less than half of the country falls into that category.

Monocle

That campaign statement instantly jumps to "NO U!" Embarrassing.

Is Trump's whole camp full of five-year-olds?

aaaaa0

Wait, his foundations' numbers and donors are public?! I went looking on his foundation's website and couldn't find anything. Certainly unlike the Clinton foundation, which posts audited reports and their taxes.

Is this just another straightforward obvious lie?

Wait, his foundations' numbers and donors are public?! I went looking on his foundation's website and couldn't find anything. Certainly unlike the Clinton foundation, which posts audited reports and their taxes.

Is this just another straightforward obvious lie?

Oversight like that is a waste of money, as you can see from the zero management costs claim.

Refuses to release tax returns
Lies about pretty much literally everything else
Tells us to take his word for it when he tells us he's been writing checks for charity left and right

Seems legit

Link

The Autumn Wind
Its all Hillary's fault. Its all they know how to do anymore. Don't answer any questions, just blame Hillary. It's pretty pathetic.
The media let's them get away with it, so why not? In this case, they just start ranting about the Clinton Foundation without actually answering any questions. And the response is usually something like, "Yes, we'll have to look into that."

The media let's them get away with it, so why not? In this case, they just start ranting about the Clinton Foundation without actually answering any questions. And the response is usually something like, "Yes, we'll have to look into that."

Yes and no; they've basically been punting on all the debacles. What are they waiting for? They're gonna get brought up at the debate and he won't have a good answer for anything.

(Not that there's any good answer for this. It seems pretty open and shut corruption)

_woLf

BUT EMAILS! BENGAHZI! PNEUMONIA!

It is absolutely disgusting how much Trump is able to get away with compared to the shit Clinton gets.

The spin continues:

Conway also added that Trump frequently is "signing checks privately to help people" from his own bank account separate from the foundation,
"You can only imagine how many people have asked Mr. Trump for his time and his resources and his connections and his money privately, and he does that and he doesn't have cameras in there, it doesn't go through foundations," she said.

LOL that's complete bullshit. Who on earth would beleive that tiny handed huge egomaniac would give away money to charity without a camera recording it?!

Lol

At first I was like "oh this ought to be a pretty by the book response" then the I read the statement beginning "in typical Washington post...."

And I was like "I dunno what I was expecting"

I would say Conway has been the best of the Trump surrogates at spin and deflection, but holy shit, even this shows how little substance there is to Trump's campaign and how much even an expert spinner can't really get past all his bullshit. This statement is basically literal nonsense.

aaaaa0

Incidentally, for anyone curious about this, 990-PFs are public documents. You can see for yourself that the Trump Foundation gave $100,000 to Fisher House in 2007. See here, it's at the bottom of page 20. (Side note: the WWE donated $4M to his foundation that year, see page 16. This is not illegal or unethical, just hilarious.)

If you're curious about other years, go here: https://projects.propublica.org/nonprofits/organizations/133404773

According to his 2014 990pf filing on page 20, Trump gave $100,000 to Citizens United.

And then Trump said this about SuperPACs in October 2015: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOaeAhpyTmQ

Hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom