• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump voters refused to vote for Trump delegates with "foreign/Muslim" names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ames-cost-him-delegates/?ex_cid=story-twitter

Illinois Republicans hold a convoluted “loophole” primary: The statewide primary winner earns 15 delegates, but the state’s other 54 delegates are elected directly on the ballot, with three at stake in each of the state’s 18 congressional districts. Each campaign files slates of relatively unknown supporters to run for delegate slots, and each would-be delegate’s presidential preference is listed beside his or her name. As a result, the top presidential candidate in each congressional district usually claims all three of the district’s delegates.

Except yesterday, a handful of congressional districts split their delegates in ways that cast doubt on voters’ racial motivations. Did voters have genuine personal preferences for the mostly anonymous individuals running for these slots, or was it a case of “what’s in a name?”

A FiveThirtyEight analysis of the dozen highest vote differentials within district-level Trump slates reveals a startling pattern: in all 12 cases, the highest vote-getting candidate had a common, Anglo-sounding name. But a majority of the trailing candidates had first or last names most commonly associated with Asian, Hispanic or African-American heritages. Of the 54 Trump delegate candidates in the state, two of the three worst-trailing candidates were the only two Trump candidates with Middle Eastern-sounding names.

Click the article for the numbers.

Not a white nationalist campaign though.

zYqbk9Y.png

Well then...

Unless we can read their minds I would just chalk this up as a coincidence tbh. I know minorities who are voting for Trump so I mean how can we even begin to suggest any kind of ism? Trump fans are just passionate and I think instead of mocking them or pointing out these coincidences and empathize with them and understand them as a marginalized group who feel like the republican party isn't pandering to them in the way they would want them to. They just want to go back to the good ol days guys.

Wilsongt

Unless we can read their minds I would just chalk this up as a coincidence tbh. I know minorities who are voting for Trump so I mean how can we even begin to suggest any kind of ism? Trump fans are just passionate and I think instead of mocking them or pointing out these coincidences and empathize with them and understand them as a marginalized group who feel like the republican party isn't pandering to them in the way they would want them to. They just want to go back to the good ol days guys.

You do PD better than PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom