• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump's pick for director of OMB is Mick Mulvaney, who wants to default on the debt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

They're really going after Social Security aren't they? Ooooooh boy.

They'll be clever and only screw over people under a certain age, just watch. They'll have enough 'got mine' voters that the outrage won't mean anything or most likely people won't notice until they are in the shit then complain.

AndyD

aka andydumi
They'll be clever and only screw over people under a certain age, just watch. They'll have enough 'got mine' voters that the outrage won't mean anything or most likely people won't notice until they are in the shit then complain.

Of course. 45-55 will be the cutoff so that young people have enough time to invest in other options. That ensures people boomers will vote for it, and Millenials are too young to realize what's going on.

persuade the country’s creditors to accept less than full payment.

apparently it's not enough to declare fake bankruptcies for personal businesses and offload more expense to taxpayers

he has to go out of his way to screw over their investments as well

RPGCrazied

Jesus. His entire cabinet save a couple people is old rich white guys.

People thought Trump was going to fight for the middle class? LOL.

Good luck.

mnannola

There are only two outcomes of this presidency:

1. Complete and utter incompetence. Absolutely nothing gets done.

2. Complete and utter chaos. Your nightmares come true.

I don't see any middle ground.

RPGCrazied

Or 3, he gets impeached and we are kinda saved?

KDR_11k

Doesn't the constitution forbid defaulting on debt anyway? 14th Amendment, section 4:
"The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any state shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void."

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

I've come to agree. It'll be an economic disaster, or the GOP will be so inept and full of in-fighting that they fumble around and waste 2 years.

I'm expecting the disaster, though.

Ac30

Kansas would like to have a word about being stupid with the economy.

It's too bad that australian fellow is no longer around to verbally fellate Brownback.

Also, we're about due for another recession, so at least when Trump exacerbates it he won't win re-election.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I'd long suspected I'd live to see the downfall of the united states, but in my wildest nightmares didn't believe it could happen within the decade..

It's too bad that australian fellow is no longer around to verbally fellate Brownback.

Also, we're about due for another recession, so at least when Trump exacerbates it he won't win re-election.

Depends on how well a future collapse of the American dollar can be sold as Obamas economey

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

The best case scenario is that Trump and all his cronies fuck off with hookers and cocaine for his entire term. Then actual decent, competent people run the country in his place. Trump will get all the credit for doing a "good job", but at least the country is intact.

The worst case scenario will probably make the 2007 financial crisis look like child's play.

Somewhere in the middle is Trump getting quickly impeached, the GOP taking over with someone less insane, and replacing the current cabinet of rich CEOs.

FLEABttn

Banned
After bigotry, misogyny and climate change denial, he's now normalizing bitcoins?

I think that's the funny thing, you have an administration who has harsh rhetoric towards China, who picks a guy to direct OMB, who favors a cryptocurrency in which the mining, transaction verification, and profits extracted there are nearly entirely controlled by people in China.

Doesn't the constitution forbid defaulting on debt anyway? 14th Amendment, section 4:
"The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned. But neither the United States nor any state shall assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or rebellion against the United States, or any claim for the loss or emancipation of any slave; but all such debts, obligations and claims shall be held illegal and void."

he wants a new deal
literally

ZOONAMI

The one silver lining is that if the US defaults and the dollar tanks so that we enter a period of hyperinflation, all current debt can be easily paid off. So if you have a mortgage, student loans, credit card debt, auto loan, etc. - it'll be incredibly easy to pay those off.

Of course the whole mass collapse of the economy, chaos in employment, etc. won't be fun.

It's crazy how China has been offloading US debt pretty quickly here in recent months.

China is no longer the biggest foreign holder of U.S. debt

Hmmm, I'm theoretically for massive hyperinflation, if I can pay off all my debt, but how do you go about getting a bunch of hyper inflated currency?

I have a salary, so fat chance at my company suddenly increasing that.

Presumably you would need liquid assets like gold and paid off property to sell, which I really don't have other than electronics and furniture.

They won't default on anything to debtors.
Security is basically the only thing the treasury has going for it. It would be suicidal for the country's economy. We're not Argentina or Greece.

Defaulting on the debt would wreck the economy. Nobody is so stupid.

I don't think you guys are really processing who is running the government now.

I'd long suspected I'd live to see the downfall of the united states, but in my wildest nightmares didn't believe it could happen within the decade..

Yeah, pretty much where I'm at about it. Definitely feels like it's an end point for America, at least in spirit.

What if Trump gets impeached and his cabinet gets tossed out before they are able to completely slash and burn the US economy?

If it happens, Pence would be President, and I don't know if he'd even bother with a new cabinet or not. Maybe a few replacements here and there, but Pence overall isn't all that much better than Trump from a domestic standpoint. The course is set now, it's done.

winjet81

Trump always said he would run government like a business, so using one of his favorite business tactics -- defaulting on loans -- is no surprise at all.

Will be very interesting to see the collapse of an economic empire in the course of 4 short years.

Sushi Nao

Nah, they'll take all the money. Trump is a free pass. All he has to do is tweet something about how the minorities took it all, his diehards will echo it, CNN will breathlessly report it, and nobody with any sway will question it.

Depends on how well a future collapse of the American dollar can be sold as Obamas economey

In a goddamn second

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Hmmm, I'm theoretically for massive hyperinflation, if I can pay off all my debt, but how do you go about getting a bunch of hyper inflated currency?

I have a salary, so fat chance at my company suddenly increasing that.

Presumably you would need liquid assets like gold and paid off property to sell, which I really don't have other than electronics and furniture.

Well it's difficult to say when you'd start getting paid 10x as much or more.

There has been lots of instances of currencies hitting hyperinflation but I'm not sure if we've seen a scenario where a world reserve currency like the USD goes through it.

I'm not an economist or anything but I think other situations were something like "okay now everyone is getting paid in a new US Dollar where 1 new dollar equals 100 old dollars". It might be as simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom